Chapter 16
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hugo stared at the message in his inbox. Frank was reaching out to him to advertise the shelter, as they were in desperate need of funds. The weightlifter sighed.

He went to the Kickstarter, expecting to see maybe a hundred dollars, at best, but then his eyes widened. There, staring back at him, were 100,000 dollars and a bit on top. And, he saw after he checked the date of the Kickstarter, it had been just two days.

Once again, Hugo was reminded that Frank was a busy bee. He must be advertising like mad, trying to get the animals the funds they needed. Hugo heard footsteps and then the arms of his wife wrapped around him.

"Another little girl wanting to become a "self-made" billionaire?" Anastasia asked with a chuckle.

"No, this is for an animal shelter. Do you think our budged will miss a hundred dollars?" Hugo had no idea what that much money was regarding the needs of the animals, but his cat food bill amounted to half as much each month, so, he was sure that he would help feed at least one animal. 

"Not at all. Make it two hundred. I think I can talk my ballet team in donating, too," Anastasia kissed Hugo's neck, and he transferred the money.

"I was thinking," murmured the Russian as she made herself comfortable in bed. "Peter had gotten lonely after Timmy died. We could go and get another cat. To keep him company."

Peter and Timmy were their two cats. Hugo had found them, abandoned, in a cardboard box and had taken care of them since then. Their eyes hadn't even been opened yet, back then.

"We already have Ivan," Hugo reminded her of the black rabbit that he had gotten from the shelter. Anastasia loved taking him to ballet practice with herself. The rabbit quickly becoming the team's mascot.

"Yes, but they don't like each other. Besides, we will need a second nanny soon and Ivan would just stare blankly at the wall instead of minding the child," Hugo froze, and his eyes traveled to Anastasia's middle.

"Are you saying that," she looked thin, as usual. She nodded, and her hand gently guided his to her stomach.

"I have no idea what the gender is, and I will not find out until the birth. I take no arguments on that front," Anastasia mock glared at Hugo, who looked at her like she was a chest filled with treasure.

"A second nanny sounds nice," Hugo agreed. Sure, they would have a regular nanny. Some old granny at the age of sixty that actually knew her stuff when it came to looking after children. But, a second cat would help a lot.

"And I was thinking that we could hire Patricia for the human nanny position. She makes killer onesies. Maybe she would even teach me how to make them?" Hugo sighed. The doom that was hanging over his unborn child in the form of cutesy pajamas with ears was eminent.

But he knew from experience, that if he didn't let the poor thing wear them, Anastasia was going to put him in them, instead.

The two laid in bed and just held each other. Peter the cat jumped in the bed with them and began to purr as Ivan the rabbit began running in his rather big cage. Almost as if the two animals could feel the happy tidings that were upon them.

The next morning, Hugo got up bright and early. He wanted to make breakfast, but, while he was in the shower, Anastasia pulled a fast one on him and made some French toast before he even finished dressing.

Hugo looked at the ladened table and vowed to get up even before 5 am, if he had to, but he was going to surprise his wife with breakfast, or he was going to run ten kilometers.  

After the breakfast, they got in the car. Neither knew when the shelter opened. But they were prepared to wait. When they got out of the car again, the shelter was open and there was a crowd in front of it.

"Are you certain this a shelter and not an Apple Store?" Anastasia joked and Hugo chuckled.

"Let us get in line and see what is happening," as they waited, they overheard a couple of conversations from up ahead.

"Did you hear? Frank Dorrens is working here!"

"He gives an autograph for every pledge to give money for the animals. So, kind of him. Considering..."

"And his new online lessons are the best. And that girl is cute, too," that got Hugo's attention. He tapped the man before him and he turned around.

Hugo saw that the man looked familiar, and it took him some time to realize it was Jake, little Edward's father.  Once again, he was with his wife and his sister. But Edward was nowhere to be found.

"Excuse me, Jake, but what is this about lessons?" Hugo saw that Jake was barely containing his excitement.

"Frank is giving YouTube free fitness lessons and lessons on nutrition. He even shows the proper way to lift weights. Well, not him. Emily does. But he instructs her all the steps of the way!" Hugo grinned. Frank had spent his entire life cultivating that knowledge. Hugo knew that the man knew enough to write a book.

Yet, instead of riding on his fame and selling some copies, he was giving hands-on lessons for free on the promise that people who enjoyed his effort would donate.

"Can you tell me the name of the series?" Hugo had the full intention of searching for it right away. He might even learn something new. Frank was not the rising star weightlifter for nothing.

"Health for Paws," Jake said, and Hugo pulled out his phone. There were already ten videos, all forty minutes long. And, what was more, no ads.

The line moved slowly and when Hugo stepped inside, he saw Frank with the nice strawberry-blonde attendant and surrounded by a pack of toddlers. He would sign, and then he would hand the autograph to one of the children for them to add a letter of the alphabet. Or, in a couple of cases, a message.

Hugo's was given to a blonde boy with glasses. As Hugo watched the cats in their cages. Bobby wrote:

To Hugo. A great pall of those who don't have a voice. Lots of luck in the Olympics!

0