Chapter 18
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The price that McConnel asked them for the shelter was ten million. Both were forlorn when they went back to work, and the animals could sense it. They would try to get the two's attention, but neither Emily's nor Frank's hearts were in their work that day.

Ten million was a hefty sum. More than the net worth of the shelter, surely. But Xavier McConnel had pulled a fast one on them. It seems that, he had done all the budged cuts in preparation of shutting down the shelter. Soon, all the animals would be put down, if the two caregivers didn't find the money.

They had just three months before the genocide that was to come. Neither thought about the fact that they were going to be left without a job. That was not essential to them. The plight of the animals hanged over their heads and threatened to pull them to the pits of a despair most dark.

Frank had reached out to his former weightlifting team, but they had gone to Japan for the Olympics and couldn't come to the shelter to film a promotional video. The ones that still could, had been left because they weren't experienced enough, and they weren't as well known as Hugo or Karl.

Emily had done another Kickstarter, after McConnel told them that they couldn't take from the money of the first. She updated the links under all the videos to direct to the second one, but the first one had reached three millions.

Thinking about all the money that were going to line the greedy chairman's pocket made Emily's blood boil. It wasn't just their shelter that was under such management.

All over the states, shelters put down healthy animals and then shamed the population that they haven't stepped up fast enough. Unlike the rest, however, Emily had never let the animals go straight to the vet for their final injection.

She had gotten her way and got the one month for old animals and two months for young ones with a lot of pleading when she started working here. And it had been upheld.

And maybe, that was what was getting the shelter closed. McConnel had to actually use the money that were being given for the animals to feed, house and provide them with medical care. Probably not his plan, when he bought the shelter back in 2007.

Emily went and turned on the radio. The Olympians were going to give their speeches now, that they have arrived in Japan. She waved Frank over. He deserved to hear what words his friends had for their countrymen and the world in general.

"This year, we come for the medals," Emily didn't recognize the voice. Were the weightlifters going to speak today?

"But, we also come in here with a mission," that was Hugo's voice, and both Emily and Frank perked up. "You see, there is an animal shelter back home that is in desperate need of a new management. So, the weightlifter team has decided to donate the winnings from the medals to it."

Emily's hand flew to her mouth. She knew that those winnings could turn someone's life back around. And yet, the entire weightlifting team was going to do their best for the shelter.

"Are you certain, Mr. Schmidt? Aren't you expecting a baby?" The reporter sounded surprised, and Emily couldn't blame her. That was quite the bold pledge.

"What kind of father would I be if an entire shelter worth of animals got put down on my watch? What am I going to tell my child? My wife?" Emily let out a sob, and she felt a hand grip hers. Frank's eyes were misty, too, and she tried to smile.

"The swimming team will also donate," said the voice she hadn't recognized. "We can't be left in the dust by the weightlifters!"

"I hope we, the women's wrestling team, win too," chimed a woman and Emily gasped. Had they come together and talked all the USA representatives into donating their winnings?

"What is happening?" Emily managed to say, voice chocked.

"A miracle," Frank pointed at the radio, and they grew silent again.

"The entire basketball team is gunning for the four legged palls, too," Emily was going to watch the entire Olympic, even if it was just the reruns. For these people began to pledge their support, one after the other. 

When the reportage ended, Emily leaned into Frank for support.

"I think we might manage," between the Kickstarter and all those pledges, they could have hope again.

The rest of the day passed as if in a blur. They hummed as they went from cage to cage and played with all animals. Speaking about the playground garden they were going to build them by buying the house next door, which had been abandoned for longer than Emily had worked for the shelter, and how they were going to bring children to visit the animals every day.

When they checked if the radio was still playing and locked up for the night, they each went their separate ways. With a bounce to their steps.

When they got home, they each turned to the sport's channel and watched the opening of the Olympics. Silently supporting their champions.

And, when they went to bed, it was with smiles on their faces. The Olympics came and went, and 39 medals had been won. Emily became the new owner of the shelter, and the house next to it was bought and leveled.

The garden had been built and all the animals were released into their fenced off sections of the garden. The shelter's status was switched to a no-kill one, and Emily and Frank hired two more caregivers: Vincent and George. Both teens that were preparing to go to the local college and pursue veterinary medicine. 

All was well, until Frank's forgotten mother died of a bad fall. Frank, who had never upheld his promise to visit her, was now faced with the daunting task of arranging her funeral. And he couldn’t do it alone, no matter how strong he was. 

0