Chapter 21
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emily looked uncertain at the gate that led to Frank's house. She had a basket of muffins and a teddy bear. Both for Rebecca. Honestly, she didn't know why she wanted to befriend the woman.

One might argue that she had taken the one real chance at love that Emily had. But that was unfair. More men, some like Frank, would come and go. But, for Rebecca, being together with the father of her son was something that was akin to a duty, Emily knew.

She opened the gate and walked to the front door, forcing a smile on her face. Knocking on the front door, she waited. Emily knew that Rebecca's maternity leave had begun just last week. Now that, she was seven months along and couldn't get to the office comfortably. Frank had told her all about it.

How Rebecca would have her bout of morning sickness at five am sharp, their son being a stickler for a certain schedule. After which, she would wash up and the two would make breakfast. How they would eat on the couch in the living room, as the chairs were simply not comfortable for Rebecca anymore.

How Emily wished that all that was happening to her — now. But she knew that it was impossible. Or, at least, it was impossible with Frank. So, she had settled with getting her closure by being a part of the pregnancy indirectly.

 By offering her companionship to the raven-haired woman that had come and woken her from the most pleasant dream, Emily had ever had.

Soon, Rebecca opened the door and her eyes traveled from Emily to the basket.

"Do come in," Rebecca stepped aside and Emily saw how huge her stomach was.

"Thank you," Emily entered the house. It was not like she didn't come in here often to film the nutritional videos with Frank. But today he was working with Vincent and George and doing another promotional video for the adoption of some of the animals that were in the shelter for the last three months.

She was glad that, between the donations and the state budged, they were allowed, they could keep the shelter a no-kill one. Now that there was no danger for the animals, the four of them could focus on taking care of them and making them into outstanding friends for those who were looking to adopt. 

"How have you been?" Emily added when the silence got awkward between them.

"Well, you know. Getting kicked like my insides are a soccer ball. Barfing every morning at five. But, it is soon going to end. Just two more months," Emily's hand reached out to Rebecca's stomach, but then she pulled it away. Then, Rebecca took a hold of Emily's hand and slowly brought it to her stomach. The baby kicked, and a smile blossomed on the faces of both women.

"Little rascal," Rebecca commented, amused. Emily chuckled and, just like that, the ice was broken between them.

"I brought you these," Emily showed Rebecca the basket. Rebecca reached inside and took one muffin.

"These are good," she said between chewing. She finished the muffin and took the basket. "Come on, you need to see all the baby clothes I made Richard."

"Richard?" Emily asked. Frank had never told her if he had any relatives named Richard.

"Yes, after my father. He is not on this Earth anymore, so he won't be able to see his grandson. Frank and I thought that it would only be fair if Richard gets named after him," Emily nodded. Glad that Frank had made a compromise.

Rebecca led Emily to her and Frank's room, and she opened a bright new wardrobe.  Then, she began to pull all kinds of onesies out of it. There was one of a cat and one of a cow. Emily giggled at the moose one, and she was impressed at the detail of the lion one.

"And you made all these yourself?" They looked like there was a lot of love and care woven into them. Emily's heart skipped a beat at the thought that this could have been her. She berated herself mentally. Granny Patricia had told her that Rebecca loved her unborn son very much, and these thoughts were uncalled-for.

"Well, granny made the more intricate details on the hoods. But, making an onesie is not that hard. You just need to make sure you know along what line you have to sew," Rebecca then began to pull out pullovers and pants and even some knitted baby socks. Emily ran her fingers over one of the soft socks and smiled wistfully.

"I don't know how to sew or knit," Emily blurted out, and Rebecca nodded, determined. 

"We can't have that. What are you going to do when it is your time to have a child? Buy everything? That is rather impersonal, won't you agree? What do you want to learn first: knitting or sewing?" Emily considered the question. Finally, she settled for sewing. It sounded easier and required far less finger dexterity, or so she believed.

The next couple of hours were spent with Rebecca showing Emily how to use the sewing machine. It took the strawberry-blonde a couple of tries, but she managed to make a couple of sleeves for a blouse. 

"I will use them," Rebecca assured her, as she was sending Emily off. "That way Richard would have something from his auntie Emily."

"Auntie Emily?" Emily's throat tightened. She still had backwards thoughts about Rebecca and the woman was naming her, her unborn son's aunt.

"I don't have a sister, and every child should have an aunt. Frank is also a single child. You don't mind, do you?" Rebecca's fringe almost covered her eyes, and Emily figured the woman was handing her an olive branch. That was what Emily had come in here for, so, she took it.

"I do hope we grow as close as sisters, in truth," Emily hugged Rebecca gently and then bent down to press an ear to her stomach. "Richard, you be good now. Let your mother eat something else than mushrooms."

Rebecca laughed and Emily left. Later that night, as Rebecca lay on Frank's chest, she couldn't help but think that this had gotten a lot better than expected. She just hoped she could really befriend Emily.

0