Chapter 32
11 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Varium Corp had not called for an interview, and it had been two weeks. Dereck was aimlessly walking Julia in the busy streets. The puppy must be sensing his mood because she kept close to him and didn't stop at her usual stops.

Then, just as Dereck was turning the corner by the donut shop, he saw a poster. Hopeful, he approached it. But it wasn't for a job position, rather, a call for a free night course for adults. 

It taught how to fix up computers. In the poster was written that, by the time someone finished it, they would know how to clean the fans, oil them, install an OS, clean a computer from viruses and even how to put together a computer from scratch.

Dereck double-checked if it was free. It was, and the course was between seven and nine pm every night until November.  It was starting in just two days.

With a smile, Dereck pulled out his phone and dialed the registration number. After quickly giving his details, he was enlisted. The course would take place in the computer lab in the local high school, and Dereck was preparing mentally for it.

He knew he would need a couple of things. A notebook, for notes and diagrams. Some post-it notes so that he could add explanations to the more complex topics around his apartment. And, new pens and pencils.

With that in mind, he made a beeline for the closest stationery store. Tying Julia to a bike ramp, he went inside. It took him ten minutes to get everything, plus green colored paper for outlines of the lessons and a folder for them.

With a bag in hand, he went back to Julia and collected her. Then, he went straight home. Now that he had a purpose, he didn't see why he should go around aimlessly.

He had written the name of the course in his phone and, once he got home, he looked it up. The course provided a free textbook and workbook, and Dereck downloaded them on his ancient laptop. 

Excited, he began to read the textbook. It was a 900 pages worth of text with tables and diagrams. Dereck covered fifty pages before he got tired. With a content sigh, he went and played with Julia a bit before bedtime, and he called it a day.

Dereck had no idea if he could find work as a System Administrator in this town, but he reasoned with himself that he could always move.

Sure, he would miss the people he had gotten to know these past days. And Julia would miss the dogs that were regulars at the park. But Dereck would still have Julia to keep him company. So, he was sure that he could make new contacts and introduce new dogs to Julia, if the need for it arose.

The next morning, Dereck wrote down everything he remembered from what he had read the night before. Then, he wrote the outline of the notes and made himself breakfast.

He was sure that the teacher would explain the things in even greater detail than the textbook, and he was going to be taking notes during class too, but it didn't hurt to have an early start.

Dereck had always loved learning. Agricultural school had seen him with many afternoons pouring over one encyclopedia or another. Sometimes, he regretted that he hadn't become an agricultural specialist. He had been good at the practicals and still remembered the different peculiarities about different plants.

But it had been years since then, and, all the universities and colleges that would offer refresher classes would demand an arm and a leg from him.

Dereck had joined the army to avoid student's debt. To collect it regardless after the army had taken its due would be ironic and make him bitter.

No, this free course was his chance. He was going to do his best, and he was going to be on the look-up for job offers as he studied. Once Dereck got rested, he tackled the textbook again, reading another fifty pages in one setting, then, he made the notes and, finally, the outline.

His head hurt a little, and he put the leash on Julia's color and took her out on a walk. Running was beyond him, now, because of his bad leg. But walks were something he could manage.  

As he walked, he mused over what he had learned. So, when Patricia stopped by him and greeted him, he was startled.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, I didn't see you there, granny," Dereck apologized and Patricia waved him off.

"Hello, Dereck. What happened with Verium Corp?" Dereck sighed.

"They didn't call," Patricia patted him on the shoulder and then bent down to pet Julia.

"Well, the job was not meant for you, is all. What are your plans?" Dereck smiled and eagerly told Patricia all about the course, what sort of effort he had put in the preparations, and his plan to go and work through another fifty pages once he got back from the walk.

"Good on you not to give up," Patricia commented. "I am on my way to Hugo's house. I work as a nanny there."

Dereck nodded. It was good that someone was willing to hire the old woman. For her finances must be as bad as for him.

"Bring the kid to the park, sometime. Julia would like to meet him," Dereck offered. He would, too. As he loved babies. He had briefly heard that Hugo Schmidt was living in their town and wondered if it was the same Hugo.

"I only take him on small walks around his neighborhood. He is too little for the park," Patricia pulled out her phone and showed Dereck a picture of a baby with brown doe-like eyes that was drinking milk from a bottle.

"Hey, didn't Frank get a kid, too?" Dereck asked. He had heard something about a funeral around that time, too.

"He did. But his fiancé died," Dereck nodded.

"Ok, I really need to be going now, Dereck. Nice seeing you," Patricia waved and Dereck waved back. All the while, as Dereck walked the busy streets, he couldn't help but think that, while he was new to this town, he should have consoled Frank somewhat.

Deciding to invite him out for a beer next Saturday, for he didn't have classes then, he headed home. His mind slowly going back to the textbook. 

0