Chapter 34
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They had a buyer for the house, after a month of constant advertising. So, they had put all the furniture in storage and moved into Emily's apartment, for the time being.

The dog Frank named the living room his domain and placed his bed between the empty aquarium and a picture of Emily and her parents during her high school graduation.

In the apartment, Emily could breathe easier. It was familiar territory and Rebecca had never visited her, so the place held no memories of the woman. She slept easier, with Frank by her side, and woke up refreshed every morning.

The farm house was going along nicely. They decided on making it from wood, mostly. With stone foundations. Something like a cottage, for, neither of them needed that much space.

They had planned two children's rooms, their bedroom, a bathroom, living room, sport's room and a kitchen. With a big front garden and a greenhouse in the back.

Emily was looking forward to growing her own fruits and vegetables. Back in her childhood home, her mother had done a lot of vegetable growing. The strawberry-blonde woman missed the feeling of being able to pick up her own food, knowing she had weeded, fertilized and watered it herself.

Frank, on the other hand, missed the feeling of a bigger place. The apartment was medium-sized, but to him, it was tiny. He didn't have space for himself. The kitchen and living room were a single room, without any barriers between them. There was no dining room, so, they couldn't invite too many people.

But he took comfort in the fact that their situation was going to change, soon. The cottage was going to be done by October. Richard was getting checked out in January next year.

Thinking of his boy, Frank had the urge to go and see him. They had today free because it was George and Vincent's turn to man the shelter. Sure, it would be a three-hour drive to the clinic and another three hours back, but it would be worth it.

"Emily, I am going to see Richard. Do you want to come?" Emily looked up from her newspaper and nodded.

"Just let me dress up," she stood and went to the bedroom. Frank looked down at himself. Dress pants, white pressed shirt and a pullover. He was presentable enough to go and see his son.

Emily came out in a black, knee-length skirt and a pink blouse.

"How do I look?" She asked. She twirled around and Frank noticed that her clothes looked a bit tight around her form.

"Emily, when was the last time you had your period?" She didn't overeat, and Frank had not been there for Rebecca's first pregnancy symptoms, so he couldn't be sure. But he was hopeful.

"I don't remember. I think it was supposed to come last week. That is strange. I am not late, usually," Emily's eyes widened at the implication, and she pulled out her phone and checked her calendar. It hadn't been a week that had passed her by. But, rather, an entire month!

"Oh," she said and, with shaky legs, she went to sit on a chair.

"We can go see a doctor to check for sure on our way back," Emily nodded, as if in a stupor. She had done it with Frank only a couple of times. And they had used protection every time, but she hadn't used the pill. She had heard horror stories about it causing infertility later on, and she had been afraid.

"Richard would be so happy," Frank gushed, and Emily did her best to smile. She wanted children, more importantly, Frank's children, but was she ready for one of her own? She was so young. Only twenty-five. Sure, decades ago people told women to have children before that age, least they had problems with the birth, but now times have changed.

"Do you think that everything will be fine?" Emily didn't dare utter her fears, for she knew that, that way, they will come true.

"I am sure of it," Frank offered his hand and Emily clasped it. They went into their new car and Frank drove in silence. The sound of the radio, the only thing that was to be heard in the car.

Emily's hand went to her stomach and she became thoughtful. It was a daunting task, bringing children into the world. How had Rebecca been so calm and brave? So, carefree?

Could Emily herself be the same, she asked herself? She would need to start making baby clothes. Her child, or children, in case they were twins or triplets, were going to have the product of her hard work, the same as Richard.

Would Richard like the idea of having baby siblings so close to his age? Would he be kind to them? She hoped she could raise him to be gentle and good, like how his parents were. But she knew that the jealousy would eventually show.

Because, despite Emily not wanting to, she would love her child more than Richard. And that could threaten to poison the relationship between the siblings.

But she would hide her favoritism. She would treat them all fairly and make time to listen to their needs. And, in time, they would all become a tightly knitted family.

When they got to the clinic, they were brought to Richard's room, which he shared with a couple of other babies. Frank was allowed to pick him up and hold him for five minutes for the first time. Richard being strong enough not to get injured by that point.

Emily's index finger was in the little boy's fist, and she noticed that his eyes had gone from the baby blue to a nice green color. She recognized those eyes instantly.

The warmth and approval that came from them was the same as the one Rebecca had given off, when she had been alive. So, without thinking, Emily leaned in and began to whisper in the baby's ear.

"You might get a little sibling soon," she heard a gurgle and continued. "And by then, you will be big and strong and would even be able to come home."

0