Chapter 36
7 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

George and Vincent were watching the front door again, this time just listening to the radio.

"Do you think that Fiona likes me?" Vincent blurted suddenly, sounding unsure. Fiona was a girl in their year that was a big shy, but beautiful. In a way that made one just want to protect her and love her.

"I don't think I have ever heard her talking to a man," George didn't want to discourage Vincent, but Fiona was afraid of talking, for some reason. She did love animals, however, and was always the first to volunteer for the practical’s.

"Or a girl, for that matter," Vincent agreed, and he sighed. He pulled out his phone and pulled out Fiona's number. "I am going to call her."

"Like, for real?" George was not even sure if the woman was still in town. He was almost certain that she lived somewhere else and just stayed at a rental apartment during the semesters.

"I should believe in myself. If I don't, who will?" Vincent clicked the call button and waited.

"Hello?" Came from the other end, and Vincent smiled brightly.

"Hey, Fiona, it is Vincent. I was wondering if you were still in town," George gave him the thumbs up, and Vincent figured that he had started off well enough.

"No, I am home. I work as an intern at the local clinic. It is great fun," Vincent wilted at that. Frank and Emily were on vacation and, so, they couldn't let him take days off work to go and visit Fiona.

"Any interesting cases?" He asked out of curiosity.

"I got to help a cow give birth," Vincent grinned at that. They hadn't been allowed to assist with births yet during the practical’s, despite having gone over the theory.

"Details, please," he heard a chuckled from the other end, probably a result of his sing-song tone.

"Well, it is dirtier than what was shown in the textbook. And pulling the chain takes a lot of strength. I signed up for a gym membership and got a trainer to coach me through lifting weights," Vincent raised an eyebrow at that.

"Really, you and weights? How does that work. I mean, you have the body of a pixie," silence answered him, and he feared that he had placed his foot in his mouth, but then Fiona began to speak quietly.

"Well, it is hard work. I lift two, two kilogram ones. Not only that, but I started with thirty lifts, but now can do one hundred. Dorian, my trainer, told me that muscles form after they reach and exceed their breaking point. So, I need to up my lift count every day," Vincent was impressed at the number of lifts. By looking at Fiona, one wouldn't think that she could lift more than ten times.

"You know, I think I will do the same," Vincent was not saying it so that he could impress Fiona, but because he could see the merit in the actions.

"That is nice. Hey, Vince, how about we talk some other time? My lunch break is going to end in a minute," Vincent resisted the urge to sigh. Just as they had gotten comfortable speaking, it was over.

"Sure, ok. Let us talk some other time," he heard the bye from Fiona, and she stopped the call. Vincent sighed again and looked at George.

"She lifts weights now," George's eyebrow's rose.

"Like, for real?" Vincent nodded and pocketed his phone. "What for?"

"Do you know that it takes a lot of strength, physical one, I mean, to help a cow give birth?"

George knew that, in theory, it was a long and exhausting process. He had seen the diagrams, memorized the procedures, and even taken notes and had a question about the process for his final exam.

"You know that is something we should be doing, too," sure, they exercised a lot by lifting the heavy food bags and constantly bending down so that they could fill in the bowls, but, George had the sinking feeling that it wasn't nearly close to enough.

"Frank made many videos about weightlifting and nutrition. Together with Emily,” Vincent pulled out his phone and searched around his YouTube subscriptions for Frank and Emily's channel. He had meant to take a look at them, before. But never had the time before.

"Emily proved that it is possible for everyone to learn," George added, and the two bent their heads over the phone and began to watch the playlist for beginners.

Then, after they have finished watching the first video, they went to the storage room, where there were still weights left over from the video making, and they took out two mats too and went to the front of the shelter.

Sitting on the mat, they began to lift the weights. Knowing it was going to be harder when they stood up. The two decided to follow Fiona's example and just do thirty sessions and increase them with each day.

Then, they did the light stretches that they should have done before they began lifting the weights, and stored everything back in place.

"Same time tomorrow?" Vincent offered. He didn't want to do the exercises alone.

"Sure. And, when Emily and Frank come back, we can ask them to check if we are doing the lifting the right way," George and Vincent went back to the front desk and waited for either someone to show up or for it to become dinner time.

No one came and, so, the two fed the animals for dinner and left the shelter. As they went their separate ways, they still felt the pleasant tingle in their arms from the lifting. It helped them sleep better at night, and they were in a good mood when they met up before the shelter, so they would open it.

Just as they were feeding the animals, the bell that announced that visitors had come rang, and the two went to the main area of the shelter to see who it was.

It was an elderly couple who were looking at the empty cages and preparing to leave. George looked to Vincent.

"We should really place a sign saying the animals are in the back," he suggested, and the two went to convince the newcomers that, yes, they had animals up for adoption.

0