Chapter 38
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dereck was a ball of nerves. He waited in front of the library for Tamara to come. He had all his notes, both the ones done in the classroom and the ones he made at home.

The sun was shining merrily down on him, as if to make his worries seem whimsical. He knew she would show because he had recognized in her a kindred spirit.

Sure, she didn't look like she had done army service, but she was having a hard time. And, Dereck wanted to make it easier on her. As he remembered the sad look of the blonde, blue-eyed, woman, his heart tightened.

What was her story? Why had she left her country? Dereck had no idea and had no clue how to ask without appearing insensitive. He was sure that, if she wanted him to know, she would tell him.

He heard running and turned in the direction of the sound. Tamara was approaching him, looking nice in a black skirt and a pink blouse. She had a big bag in her hand and looked flustered.

"Tamara, hello," Dereck greeted, and the woman stopped to catch her breath.

"I am sorry I am late," she said between panting for breath. "I got a job interview at the last minute."

Dereck smiled at that. It was good that her luck had returned.

"Congratulations," he said, but she smiled bitterly at him.

"Nothing came of it. They asked me about my previous working experience and when I told them I was just a secretary they told me that they will call, but..." Tamara let the unspoken words hang in the air. In her experience, once they told you, they will call they never called. If they really wanted you, they told you so.

"Sorry to hear that," Dereck shifted from one side to the other. "But, you know, maybe the job was just not for you?"

Tamara blinked. She had expected different words. Like Dereck telling her that she needed to get another job interview, or something along those lines. Not to just accept it.

"Is this what you tell yourself? I mean, when they turn you down?" Tamara asked and then realized how rude that sounded. "Sorry."

"It is ok. A friend told me that when I got stood up recently. She is seventy and has plenty of life experience. I dare not question her wisdom," Dereck finished with a bright smile, and Tamara relaxed.

"Well, shall we get studying?" Tamara suggested, and they both entered the library. After they found a free table, which hadn't been hard since the only other occupant of the library's reading room was a teenager who was playing on one of the computers, they pulled out their notes.

Dereck noted that Tamara had a lovely handwriting. With straight, flowery letters that flowed like water. While he had a chicken scrawl, of which he was not proud of.

"Ok, let us start by checking if you have all the computer parts down," Dereck suggested, and they began to read Tamara's notes, adding things to them from Dereck's.

The afternoon passed in hard work and, when they were done, Tamara had an additional ten pages added to her notes. Dereck had two, as, it seems, he too had missed some things.

It benefitted them both, and they placed all their notes in their bags and left the library. Dereck looked at Tamara and decided to bite the bullet.

"Do you want to walk to class together?" Tamara turned to look at him. They had plenty of time before class started.

"What do we do until then?" She asked, and Dereck blinked. She had not shot him down. This was the most he had spoken with a woman he liked in recent years. And she had given him a chance.

"We could walk my dog? Julia would appreciate the company. We just need to go to my apartment to pick her up," Dereck did not offer for Tamara to stay for a while because he was sure that it was too straightforward. He was not bold enough to take things to the next step.

"That sounds exciting. I love dogs. Where are we walking her to?" Dereck did a mental victory dance.

"The park. If we are lucky, the regulars will be there. Julia will get to play with her Romeo, Alex, and I will introduce you to granny Patricia," Tamara's lips turned up in amusement and her dimples showed. Dereck liked that look on her.

They made it to Dereck's apartment in half an hour, and he came out of his apartment with Julia on a leash.

"Julia, this is Tamara. Tamara, this good girl is Julia," he introduced the two and watched as Julia sat before Tamara. The blonde woman petted her head without hesitation, and they were off.

Just as Dereck had hoped, granny Patricia was in the park with Alex. Dereck let Julia in the dog enclosure and watched as the two dogs began playing with one another.

"Hello, I am Patricia Dalian," Patricia offered her hand to Tamara, who shook it.

"Tamara Darova. Dereck and I are in the same class," Dereck smiled when Patricia nodded in approval, and they all turned to watch the dogs.

"So, how do you like the states?" Patricia asked, and Tamara smiled shyly.

"It is better in here than Belarus," Dereck blinked. Tamara was not Russian?

"And, what made you take the computer science class?" Patricia continued to prob.

"I was looking for a new job recently, and most of the offers had to do with computers. I figured that I had nothing to lose, seeing as the class was free. And it is quite interesting," Tamara then proceeded to explain to Patricia about what they have learned. With the old woman nodding politely.

When it was just an hour before the classes, Dereck begrudgingly took Julia out of the enclosure and he and Tamara returned the puppy home.

Before leaving for the class, Dereck checked Julia's water bowl, her toilet, and the radio. Everything was in order, so, he took his bag and went to the classroom with Tamara.

Not even a minute after they had sat down, the instructor came and class started. With everyone taking notes silently.

0