Chapter 40
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today, three weeks after the computer science classes had begun, was the day of their first exam results. There was a smartly dressed man next to their instructor, and everyone wondered who he might be.

"I first want to tell you all, you did a good job," their instructor began with a bright smile. The woman motioned to the man next to her. "This is David Castell from Verium Corp, and he would like to tell you a couple of things."

"Thank you, Paulina. All of you saw a poster, and you signed up for this class, but, you might not know that not everyone who signed up got accepted," confusion ruled the room, but no one raised their hands.

"Verium Corp has been looking for people to work in our IT department. This course, its textbook and workbook, has all been funded by us," a couple of people gasped at that, realization hitting them. "Note that you can continue to take the class, even if you are not selected for the paid internship I am about to offer."

Dereck's eyes found Tamara's, and she gave him a smile. She looked as amazed as how he felt. Verium Corp had not called him for the marketing position. But, they had given him the chance to learn. And, dare he hope, an internship?

"These are the test results," David waved the folder he was holding at them, and he opened it. "I think the lowest score was eighty. Which speaks volumes for your desire to learn."

Everyone perked up at that, glad that their scores were above average.

"The highest score goes to one Dereck Wertin. And so, the first offer for a paid six-month internship," someone clapped a dazed Dereck on the back. He stared at Mr. Castell with more than a bit of disbelief.  "Do I take your look as a yes?"

"I... of course. I agree. Thank you," Dereck managed to get out, and David Castell smiled. 

"Your colleague will be another David, but this one Summers," this was good, Dereck noted. David was an alright bloke and had taken to helping some of his classmates with learning before class. Dereck's eyes found Tamara, whose head was bowed. She had lost all hope to be picked, it seems. Dereck tried to give her an encouraging look, but she didn't rise her head.

"The third person who earned a spot is one Anne Harolds," Anne's hands went to her mouth and something between a squeal and a sob came out.

"Yes, Mrs. Harolds, you have a lot to be proud of. With a score of 98. And, finally, we have one Tamara Darova. With a score of 97. The rest of you might still get a chance for an internship, if your scores improve. You have until the end of the course to...." Dereck blocked David Castell's words. His eyes found Tamara's, which were misty. He nodded and she nodded back.

They would need to celebrate, somehow. Maybe Dereck could take her to a restaurant? Was it too forward? Were they just studying buddies? He had no idea.

Tamara liked him well enough, he supposed, but she kept her distance. He knew he had to prove to her that he liked her  for her inner self, not for how she looked.

"I don't know about all of you, but I will be heading to the town square in a bit. There is this wonderful animal rights program that Verium Corp supports. As new employees, it is advised that you go. Everyone from the course should show up, too," David Summers raised his hand and David Castell pointed at him.

"Why did you keep it all a secret? I mean, most of us thought that this was funded by the government," David Castell smiled and winked at him.

"The point of this course was for you all to improve. To have the skills to land a position, even if it was not with us. If we have told you from the start that you could have gotten a job with us, it would have put pressure on you all. We didn't want that. We wanted you all to be relaxed and to learn. And, seeing as eighty is no score to scoff at, I think that we had the right of it," the single senior citizen in the class coughed, embarrassed. 

"Oh, no, Mr. Collins, it was not you. You have a score of 96, along with a couple of others," the sixty-years-old man blinked. They all knew that he had problems with everything he had learned and could not touch type. David Castell looked at the sheet with the results and spoke.

"The score of eighty is given to one Philippe Lavera. But, considering that he had begun to learn English just two months prior, I don't believe that the score reflects his true knowledge of computer science," Philippe blinked and blushed.

"Eighty is good. Better than something like twenty," he received a couple of pats on the back, and everyone turned back to David Castell.  

"Now that the ball is in the field, I can offer you all more time to prepare for the next exam. If you all want, we can arrange additional classes. About two more every day," a chorus of agreement came from the class, and David nodded, glad that they were taking this opportunity to learn. "For the four who were picked I have to say only this: work starts at nine am, sharp, the lunch break is at one pm and work ends at five pm."

Loud applause erupted in the room and people began to get up to head to the town's square. Dereck placed his things in his back and waited for Tamara by the door.

"Can you believe it? They will even pay us," Tamara managed weakly as she finally reached him.

"Internships pay very little," Dereck did not want for her to get her hopes up, just for them to be crushed. "But, we might get a better pay if they let us stay on."

"Count on it," David Castell spoke behind Dereck, startling him. "I am not allowed to disclose the starting salary for our personnel, but it is enough to live off and to begin to pay your student's debt."

Dereck nodded, glad that the extra money would be going towards a savings account, rather than student's debt.

1