Chapter 15 – A Sibling’s Duty
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Morning~" Asty cooed out in her ever so slightly smokey morning voice, music to my ears.

"Morrrrnin" I chirped back, rising from my bedroll, as seductively as I could manage. At least it would be our bedrolls weren't opposite sides of the tent. Taking it slow and all that. Predators eat meat you know however I can picture Koko's retort, 'they prefer to hunt their meals too'. As expected my strech had little effect with asty not paying too busy fluffing herself to rid bed hair, she really did have adorable bed hair like struck by lightning. Just one bite is okay, right? Halfway through getting ready, Koko strolled into our tent, what if something was happening here Koko? Hurrying us along so we can go visit mom. 

Gathering ourselves we mosey on over to check on moms condition, Lily already there before us working diligently, moms in good hands at least.

"Ahh Ava! Seyu just woke up! She's quite responsive so feel free to come in." Lily excitedly wiggled. 

"Thanks Lily, you're like an angel." I replied with glee.

"eeheheheheheeehee~" Lily is apparently a sucker for compliments.

Making our way inside the tent the bright, cheery autumn haired beauty is perched up on the bed, a soft smile towards us. Her body covered in bandages reminds me how badly she'd been hurt, yet still putting on a brave face for me. I won't let something like this happen again... but theres still something I've got to talk about with her. 

"How are you holding up Seyu?" A soft-spoken Koko inquired.

"I'm fine, honestly, looks worse than it is." Mom croaked out, her voice husky with heavy breaths. 

"Mom I- I..." Struggling to get my words out, Asty offered me a hand in support, a gentle grasp.

"Mom you got hurt because of me, I shouldn't have ran out so far alone, I promise I won't let you get hurt for me again!" Declaring in my strongest, shakey voice. Mom only sighed back to me, her soft smile glowing with warmth towards me.

"Ava you dummy, I'm your mother. I raised you and I've protected you since you were a cub, that won't stop just because you got a little older. That said, you need to be more careful! What if I didn't make it in time huh? Little punk!" Her once honeyed words turned into aggressive scolding as she pulled my cheeks wide.

"owowowowow! Maahumm Shttaaapp" I pleaded with tears eyes, eventually released from her iron grip. Rubbing my cheeks, I steeled myself for the next part.

"Mom you're hiding something still. I saw it, when you shot passed me, that aura you use weakened right before you attacked. Somethings up with you." Worry filling my voice.

"Ahh, you noticed huh. I'm sorry, I know I should've just told you but I really didn't want you to worry. Since the attack on the village, my connection with the spirits are weakening. Slowly but surely. Honestly I was expecting you to start gaining some attraction with them soon but with the village gone, I think that might be hopeless now. If I'm right, our spirit connection was linked to the village itself, must've been why the spirits protected us as they did. Whatever happened that day, when their barriers failed, must be linked to my own connection." Mom spoke deliberately, emphasising how important the spirits were, she must be filled with sorrow right now.

Umph. 

Placing my hands on either of moms cheeks I decclared with all my heart.

"Mom I'm gonna help you, we'll find a way to help you! I won't let you just give up like this." Mom's lips formed a wry grin back towards me and then suddenly.

"Who says I'm giving up huh! You look down on your own mother too much!" Once again pulling my cheeks wide, ouchies. "Thank you Ava, you're a wonderful daughter." Her radiant smile contrasts my painful cheeks, let them go already if you're so thankful.

As if saved by the bell, Gaia made a grand entrance, dragging the prince along with her. He was already up and walking, so that was good at least. 

"Honoured guests of the City of Hayla and Saviours of Prince Jasper of Hayla, the prince has come to offer his kind regards and reward you for your actions of valour." Gaia announced to us all.

"Yes Gaia, thank you for your wonderful work as always." Huffed the prince, he seems a little listless, perhaps even princes can't escape scoldings. "Yes, my wonderful, lovely, elegant royal escort has told you, I am here to offer my thanks. Thank you for all you have done, saving my life is no small feat, risking your own to acomplish it is another. The fact one of you was gravely injured is a shame on our great name and I will not leave this incident rectified!" Jasper seems to be in his royal element right now, but something tells me he prefers nothing more than letting loose.

"If you would be so agreeable, I'd like for you to allow us to escort you to the City of Hayla, where I shall recommend a fitting reward for your services to our nation. Perhaps a minor nobility could be bestowed."

H-hhoolllddd up!

"Wwwwaiitttt! My prince, we are not worthy of such titlleess! We only did what anyone else would in the situation and defended ourselves." I begged for mercy from the prince, nobility would lead to so many troubles that I'm frankly not interested in. Everyone seemed to agree with me as they too bargained a lighter, less troubling reward.

"Hmmm, if thats how you all feel then I won't push the matter, however you must be rewarded, Hayla royalty will not be in debt! So please, accept our escort and we can see to your accomodations upon arrival! You're adventurers correct? Then perhaps some new equipment will also be of value to you?" Pushed the prince, realising he would not relent we agreed loosely to his terms. 

"Excellent! With this, Gaia please carry me back to my room, I'm achey."

*thwack~*

"My prince, you should've said sooner, if you wanted to be carried I'll carry you back in a coffin!" Gaia chirped with glee at her own sadistic comments. They're pretty close huh?

After the royal meeting and comedy sketch we spent some time getting to know Lily as we'd have to leave her soon. She was such a sweet girl, beaming with life and I'm certain we'll see her again. 

A week went by, mom was healthy enough to make the travel to Hayla and so, we set off. The journey with wounded in mind was to take roughly two weeks.

 

                                                                                                                              ***

 

A week into the escort, late one night after setting up camp, a horn blew out. Soldiers rushed into position ready for an attack, however no attack came. According to Gaia, a 'fly buzzing around' had been discovered. After several hours of search the soldiers all returned to their posts, no further flies were found and no attack came. 

 

Gaia Pov

We've captured an annoying buzzing fly from Aela, unfortunately this fly has proving to be tighter lipped than I'd have liked. That was until I was handed a parchment. Belonging to our fly, it was basic orders to tail the prince and if possible remove him. Worrying of course but this isn't exactly a new scenario for royalty. No the real issue is the two sigils top and bottom. On the bottom laid the Royal seal of Aela, meaning this was an order from the capital, most likely the king or one of his princes. The seal at the top however confirms only one person could've made this decree. A seal bearing a cloak wrapped in snakes. The King's royal assassins. Little is known of them except they answer to the king and he alone. It's truly fortunate we found him first. 

My eyes drift to the young prince, Jasper is a righteous boy. Well I suppose he is a man now. As his royal escort its my duty to lay my life down for him but he's never treated me like just a knight with a duty. He's regarded me as his friend and confidant for years now, I think if I had to place it, he's like a little brother. A cunning, sly, cheeky little brother but a brother none the less. Which is why, the gaze he's giving the young miss Koko right now cannot go unchallenged. Just a little payback for his own cheekiness. 

The prince seems to have 'bumped' into the adventurers while we made out routine checks of the camp, a task that certainly did not require a prince.  Jasper seems to have been enraptured by the wolfkin girl only to suddenly sober himself. Glancing around at the party I noticed the catgirl, leopard probably? Glaring daggers at the prince. I'm already aware that the leopard girl and the Bunny girl are mates. 

T-ttthe lewd things she said to me before. Is she that kind of girl?! Iiisss it a harem situation here?! The greed! How many cute girls does she want under her thumb before she's satisfied? She's often stealing glances at me, does she want me too?! I-I can't, I'm a royal escort aaaand I cannot marry until I retire. Which probably means I'll never marry. Sighh~

"Pssst, Miss Gaia, can we chat for a second."

SHE'S CALLING ME OVER?! Is this it? Enacting some outrageous plan to draw me in and entice me?! I won't allow it, I'll remain strong!

"What is it, Miss Ava." I said sternly, we're off to the side as to not be overheard. 

"What intentions does Prince Jasper have with our Koko?! She's a sweet, caring girl and I won't have her mistreated! Even if he is a prince! koko is like a sister to me and I won't have it!" Ava interrogated me. 

Ah, she's like me.

"Ah- I see, thats what it was... Right! Yes, he hasn't told me but he doesn't hide it well, does he? I'll be sure to tease him plenty so please forgive his gaze, the prince would never try to sully a maidens honour after all." I tried to bargain with the cat.

"Right right, I'll take your word for it... for now! I'm sorry Miss Gaia I can't resist after all!" 

*eeyyah~*

Ttthiissssss cat reached out and grabbed my ears! She's playing with them! Stroking them! flopping them around! Lecherous! I can't stop her, the scratches feel too nice, too weak to fight back. A wicked woman. Wicked.

3