Chapter 16 – The City Of Hayla
65 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wooooaaaaahhhhhh" We all stand in awe, before us the great 'City of Hayla' was completely undersold to us. This place was freaking MASSIVE! A sprawling metropolis, so much so that we struggle to see over the walls from our vantage point. Not that it matters because the buildings held inside are of equal gigantic stature. 

"Impressive right? This is our home, it's calculated that over a half a million people live here. More importantly, Humans, beastkin and demons reside here in harmony, working together and living together. Everyones welcome here, no race restrictions, no slavery. It's unfortunate that slavery still exists in our country, even if it is limited to debt bonds only." The prince's proud monologue continues, the joy this city gives him was clear to all. 

"Anyone can make a real life here and the result of that is right in front of you all, innovation. A city filled with new and exciting wonders! Anyone can fight for their wealth with their intellect, their trade and... yeah their brawn too. Adventurer guilds exist everywhere after all, monsters and wild beasts will always cause more trouble than an army can handle. Especially an army at war..." Jasper words drift off, a painful expression staining his bright blue eyes.

"And everything you just stated is exactly why we fight that war, Prince Jasper." Gaia's warm tone overpowered by resolve.

"It's amazing for sure..." I muttered, gazing back to the wonderous city.

"Well lets not stand around watching, its time to experience our great city first hand!" Jasper declares reinvigorated.

Approaching the city gates, in the distance, uncountable numbers of people gathered leading inside. Banners hanging from every roof and post. Just like they said, every race gathered together to cheer the prince's return, Jasper looks a little embarrassed actually... I'd love to tease but honestly this many people focused around us, is a little nerve-racking. Surveying my surroundings once more, this city really was gorgeous. Pathed stone floors, stone crafted walls framed by fine coated wood comprise the buildings all around. Colour floods the streets, cloth and linen at every corner, even the food stalls resemble a rainbow in pure variety. 

In the center of our path a beautifully designed fountain flows into small aqueducts, decorating the region. Attempting to pass by the fountain, we meet once more with another, more regal welcoming party.

"Prince Jasper of Hayla! You are late! You promised you'd be home months ago!" a voice cries out from the crowd, littered with frustration.

A young maiden, exuding nobility of a higher class makes her approach to our escorts. Long slender figure, tall for a woman but not out of proportion with a lofty weight hanging from her chest. Every feature on her screames out delicate, like a quilt woven with silk, her beauty radiates outwards. Her lengthy ginger hair trickles downwards covering her chest and shoulders, adorned by tiara crest in jewels. Peaking over her tiara are a pair of fluffy long fox ears, a kitsune. Magestic describes her to the letter, which makes sense when the prince calls out.

*sighh* "Sister... Please, you know I have no control how long these trips are! The front line is no joke!" Explains Jasper with a weak and helpless tone.  So this is the crown princess. Are we, country bumpkins, going to be okay around all these figures?

"Hmph! As punishment, you'll have escort me for the whole day! Come now brother dearest, mother and father await, you wouldn't want to be seen as unfilial now would you?!" The princess is a fierce warrior of words, or more so she strikes at her brothers apparent weakness to strong women.

Far ahead in the distance a grand castle, sleek with thick grey stone defends the walls. Large banners depicting two clasping hands drape over the walls, a symbol of unity I suppose, quite fitting. A lavish red carpet sprawls deep into the entrance, a chorus of guards standing point. During our short journey to the castle, I could see the princess constantly giggling with Jasper, they clearly have a good relationship and its relaxing to see the royal siblings like this. The tension of meeting royalty really melts away with a situation like this. As we near the castle, the princess inquires about our party.

"Ahh! I got so swept up in your antics I forgot to introduce them." The prince moans with exasperation. 

"Ye- what do you mean antics?" The princess pauses, narrowing her eyes.

"This party of adventurers are our honoured guests! They saved my life on the battlefield! Allow me to introduce you." Ignoring his sisters willful glances. The prince calles our names one by one, exclaiming our 'outstanding actions' in the battlefield. How our 'decisive brilliance' saved his very life and that one of us was even gravely wounded in doing so... The princess... Is smitten?! Looking at us like brave kittens who just scared away the big bad from her poor brother, not quite what I was expecting. 

"If you say so much Jaspy, how could you forget to let me know?! I've not even introudced myself to my brothers saviours! Such impudence! *ahem* Honoured saviours, I must thank you personally for defending my idiot brother from his own demise." eloquently spoken like a true noble being. I get the feeling however, that she added an extra word in that sentence.

"Oi- sister." Jasper retorted in a deadpan voice. She swiftly ignored him however.

"I am Princess Isabelle of Hayla, first of my name, daughter of King Kaine and Queen Evaline. It is my greatest honour to meet such heroes, even more so that they're each beautiful young women." She's a demon, I thought the prince was well spoken, she blows him out the water. This is true royalty! Our party quickly bows, lowering our heads, the presence of this young woman was several steps higher than Jasper's casual nature. 

"Princess Isabelle is too kind to us, as we told your prince, we simply did what anyone would do." Mom speaks with as much politeness as she can muster, not bad mom! I gave her a confident thumbs up. Smiling to our interaction, her demenour loosened. That was until she caught the prince eyeing Koko. Her eyes shoot back and forth between Koko to Jasper, as if every possible calculation for the scenario before her is taking place. Finally her eyes land back on the prince.

"Mymymy, I'll have to ask you more about this later, dear brother..." Her seductive tone was filled with mischevious intent. Good luck 'Jaspy'.

 

                                                                                                                    ***

 

And so we continue our journey into the depths of the castle, finding our way into ginormous throne room, three large, decorates chairs line the back of the room, placed on top of the steps. Does one sibling have to sit on the steps? Naughty child? We step into the middle of the room, about twenty yards away from the steps to the throne. Everyone kneels, which makes us panic, copying the siblings. 

A short funny looking man in ridiculously overtuned clothing, littered with adornments holds a horn to his mouth and sounds a tune.

"Entering the throne room, all hail King Kaine of Hayla and Queen Evaline of Hayla! Long live Hayla!" The man bellowed with pride and professionalism. 

Entering into the room were a pair of those most imposing figures I've ever seen. A man you can only call a king, well groomed brown locks of hair, a fierce demenor, muscles rippling through his fine, expensive clothing. The royal crest of union abreast. Dark emerald eyes glanced towards us as he took his seat. 

The spitting image of Isabelle trailed behind, the same gingery hair adorned with a golden shining tiara, her foxy ears poking up between. a head taller than her daughter and well, a head larger in the chest region too... She was the personification of beauty. Her grin aimed directly at her children, she looked relieved. 

"Father! Mother! I have returned! I'm glad to see you in good health!" raising from his kneel, raising his voice loud. Everyone followed his lead to stand up.

"My son it is wonderful to see you return from the battlefield! Hohoho a great day indeed! I'm sure your deeds were great and your battles fierce! We shall hear about it all!" A booming, husky voice filled the throne room, delight in every word. During this time the princess made her way to seat herself on the spare throne. I notice the queen give a side eyed smirk to Isabelle, a knowing one. Isabelle turned a slightly redder shade, doing her best to conceal it. 

And so the prince spoke of his months away from the city, the border conflicts with the Empire of Aela and eventually to his most recent exploit. Us. The same overbearing tones of praise for what we'd done. The king looked on content with what he heard about us. The queen simply stared at Koko, a mothers senses are incredible. Koko definitely noticed the queens gaze as she let out a tiny 'eep', lowering her head, I tried to coyly comfort her with a hand on her back. Poor girl, this is what it means to be sort after by royalty I guess, not that you seem to be aware of it Koko. 

Hearing the full story the King hums to himself for a moment. "Very well! Hahahaha! Brave souls! Strong wills! Modesty to boot! I'd like nothing more than to give them titles! But it seems that is not their will, we will find adequate compensation for the actions these saviours have taken. Until then, we shall open our armory to them! Prepare them rooms, for the forseeable future they are our guests!" The generous king echoed into the hall. Gesturing to his attendant, he whispered into his ear.

Bowing our heads low in thanks, we are lead into the many corridors of this castle, It'd take me years to learn my way around here. It's a bonified maze. Eventually we are lead to a set of grandiose bedrooms, one of which prepared with my mothers injuries in mind. The maid let us know that someone would be coming along to tend to her wounds soon. After leaving us, Asty squeezed my arm.

"Hehe, this is like taking a special trip together right?" 

Nyah~ 

What cuteness. I dragged my lovely bunny into our room for special secret time. Don't toy with a jungle cat's heart, we bite.

4