Chapter 19 – Prince Jasper’s Thrift Store
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ava you're crushing me, 'eellpppp" cried my girlfriend in a pitful attempt of escape.

"Hehehe, there is no way out Asty! Your ears are mine!" I taunt her, teasing her is so much fun I can't help it. 

"Ava- Eeeyah!" Mission success! Fluff Asty's ears, they twitch so adorably and they're so flufffffyyyyyyy!

"This is your fate, accept it! Asty!"

*bangbangbang*

Ugh, someones at the door, my fluffy time... Releasing my bunny, who flops on the bed in defeat, I agitatedly stumble my way to the door.

"Lady Ava, Prince Jasper has requested your party's presence at the armory this morning, once you're ready we will lead you." The rather tall maid said politely.

A royal armory... I'm so nervous, what kind of insane equipment do they have there? I'm getting excited, come on Asty get ready faster!

Leaving our room the first figure we see is mom's, thats a relief, she's walking without much trouble. 

"Mom! Are you alright?" I interrogate her condition. 

"I'm fine Ava, I feel miles better, Ishala said I need to take it easy for a little while longer but I'm fine to move around now." 

"Thats great mom, you can take my shoulder if you need!" 

"Hahaha, come on Ava, everyone, lets go. This should be exciting..." A sly grin creeping up on her lips. 

You're looking a little battle maniac-y mom. 

 

                                                                                                                              ***

 

Many, many corridors later, we find ourselves at the entrance to the shining jewel of war and conflict. No space was left undefiled by apperations of war; axes, swords, spears, halberds, crossbows, bows, daggers, armour of every variety from hard steel to soft leather. Towards the middle of the room, the prince stands open armed, welcoming us to treasureland.

"Ladies! Welcome, today is but a small token of appreciation, please each of you choose an item you find best fitting to yourselves! I can help you find your perfect partner for the battlefield! Be it the coy rapier or a brutal waraxe, a stalwart shield or an iron suit. Come! Don't be shy!" The princes speech was well rehearsed, this guy could be an actor if he ever found himself disowned. 

So we set forth into the vast trove of bloodshed and carnage. The weapons weren't of particular interest to me, I'm a claw kind of gal after all however the prince directs me to a pair of steel gauntlets complimented by a set of ankle braclets, all encrusted with gleaming gems. According to Jasper, the gauntlets were of unknown origin. Their design was certainly unusual, with feline shapes dotting every inch, guess thats why he recommended them? Apparently these gauntlets infuse the user with both speed and power. The braclets however, smooth leather lighter than feathers yet sturdy as stone? Prince Jasper seems to enjoy describing this stuff... 

Trying them on, the braclets really are incredibly light but it still feels as if I could kick an iron door in. God I want to try this out. Mom's selection came as the biggest surprise, opting for some kind of complex operated wrist shield. By flexing the muscles in her arm the kite shaped shield will deploy, covering her body from head to toe, if she lowers herself enough. I've never really known mom to be the blocking type, a perfect offense is the best defence.

Koko was guided by a court mage, another young beauty from the castle. She recommended a set a beautiful rings and accompanying necklace. Enchanted to strengthen the power and longevity of her magic as well as protect her from incomming spells. Koko looked quite pleased, excited to investigate them.

Asty was given a pair of short curved blades, glowing with a faint crimson light. She told me, while their powers weren't fully known, nothing was able to even scratch them.

"Well it seems you've all made your choice, excellent choices at that!" A wry smile floats on his lips,

"Then I don't suppose, I can trouble you all to a little spar?" Determination fills his eyes, for what, I do not know. We aren't trainned knights you know.

"Ah, I'm sorry Lady Seyu, you'll have to sit this one out of course."

"It's not often we can practice with such powerfully trainned opponents, you should accept girls." Mom preaches.

"Heh, you don't have to tell me!" I'm ready to rumble. New tech, new me.

Leading us to a gorgeous but very practical training yard, dozens of knights were already clashing against one another. Most of them glance towards us as we enter, respectfully at least. 

"Well, I hope you don't mind, I have some strong opponents suited to each of you! Please don't feel the need to hold back!" 

Thats just what I like to hear, grinning ear to ear. First up was Koko, the beautiful court mage that guided her choice steps forward.

"A pleasure Lady Koko, I am Hanna the court mage and first divison knight commander, give me your all!" The gorgeous blonde states.

"R- rrright! A pppleassure mmisss Hanna!" Koko's stuttering in nervousness at Hanna's regal introduction.

That nervousness didn't last long however as Koko centered herself, whispering out her spell. The earth rumbled as roots exploded out the ground, making a royal mess of the place. With fierce power the roots aim for all of Hanna's weak points...

*crackle*

What starts as an ember in her palm, ruptures into a violent vortex of flame! Intense heat bursts around her cooking the vines into finely grained ash, passed the flames her eyes burn in glowing red light. Chantless. This is another level, Koko can't compare. Not to fall without a fight, Koko readies a second spell to keep the offensive going. Unfortunately for Koko, Hanna was already barreling down upon her, charging with what seems like reckless abandon. Before Koko could finish her spell Hanna encases herself in flames, like a suit of armour, thrusting her palm before Koko's eyes stopping inches from her. 

"Call! Match, Hanna!" Jasper announces.

"A good try, Lady Koko however you can't just wait for your opponents reaction, lest you waste your only chance." Hanna's advice settingly into Koko's mind, who was still slightly dumbfounded at what just happened. Quickly collecting herself and giving a curt bow to her opponent.

Next up is my little bunny, Asty steps up, before her is a brutishly large man wielding a spear and shield. 

"Ha ha ha! A bunny versus a lion?! Well little miss, I wish you luck! You'll need it! Hahahaha!" The lionkin roared, clearly confident in his strength. 

"Hmph. Brute." Asty mutteres. 

Not waiting for the lions response, she breaks into a sprint a blistering pace. Surprise flutters across the lions face as he scrambles to block Asty's back handed strike. Asty grips one blade backwards, parallel to her wrist, the other in a standard forward stance. Deftly gliding the blade along his shield her body lifts off the ground, twisting backwards as an overhead downwards slice follows her agile aerial spin. Struggling to keep up, the knight lurches his head backwards, the blade scrapping his helment. Stumbling on his feet, Asty takes full advantage of the her upperhand and launches another fierce offensive. Blades clashing against steel as the lion can barely hold himself upright, slowly but surely however he resecures his position. Suddenly centering his body into a low posture, under the barrage of attacks and in one smooth motion he crashes his shield upwards, through her crimson glowing blades in a perfect parry. 

Asty arms are sent spiralling upwards, leaving her completely exposed. The knight follows his surprise turnaround with fierce thrust of his spear, the steel tip aiming directly towards my bunny's abdomen. Yet no contact was made. Asty raises her leg and launches herself off his spear into a summersault, using the momentum and shock to turn her timely defeat into a chance of victory. Her now signature drop kick with the strength of iron collides with the mans helmet, knocking him out cold. Thats my girl!

"Call! Match, Astrid! Quite the battle young miss, you sure are agile!" The prince is full of praise.

"I was lucky that he was too arrogant and proud, prince Jasper." Asty's calm demeanor uncharacteristic to her usual jumpy speech.

"Do not belittle yourself too much, young miss. However you are right, I shall have to give him a few extra lessons! Hahaha!" Jasper surpisingly has quite the sadistic streak when it comes to his soldiers. 

Next up was me! Finally! Except I was not expecting this opponent. 

The prince steps forward, a long cold steel blade iluminated by a light blue aura paitently resides in his hand. Jasper wears very flexible armour, steel mixed with leather, allowing for more nimble movement. 

"Please go easy on me, Miss Ava." Oi thats my line.

A knight announces the start of the fight. I wonder where Gaia is. I pounce forward, claws out in full strength. 'If I close the distance, the prince will have a harder time making use of his sword.' The prince has yet to make his move despite my approach. Thrusting my arm forward in a swift palm strike, in an attempt to set the pace of this battle. Unfortunately for me, Jasper wasn't just standing around. Having calculated my actions he makes use of his superior footwork, in three swift and easy motions he plans to take me down. One effortless stride to the right, followed by his rear foot gliding across the ground, lowering himself in a fierce stance. Finally he thrusts his blade forward, aiming for my blind side. Panicking, I try to twist my body and launch a strong kick, making use of the new braclets to block the blade.

As my leg meets his blade, I couldn't feel the rippling clash I was expecting. Instead he shifted once more, gliding the flat edge of the blade along my leg, using the momentum to crash the hilt of the sword into my abdomen with thunderous strength. My body launches backwards several yards, crashing into the ground... Try as I might to soften my fall, my head still violently collides with the hard ground. My eyes blur red, the taste of iron fills my mouth as warm blood leaks from my lips. 

"Cal-" The knight couldn't even finish the verdict. 

I scream forward, my mind weakening with every passing second. Instinct alone driving me forward, the white glowy aura belonging to the prince is my only focus. Jasper stares back in disbelief, then snaps to a cold and serious tone. The Light blue smoulder of his sword beams into a bright florescent shine. All of a sudden he enacts a single thrusting motions in my direction. Even in my current state I recognise the foolishness of this action, I'm still far from the reach of his blade. However...

Blue light penetrates my vision and then... darkness. 

 

                                                                                                                        ***

 

My eyes shoot open, darting around the room at an unknown ceiling. Either side of me is Asty and mom. 

"She's awake!" Asty shouts latching onto me.

"You dummy! We we're so worried!" Her tears moistening my neck, I did something dumb huh... I'll make it up to her.

"Ava are you okay? You took quite a blow." Mom spoke softly, without any anger or disappointment in me. 

"I'm fine. What... happened? Is the prince okay?!" Memories flashing back to me of our out of control spar.

"I'm fine, Lady Ava, you've no need to worry." A low voice calls out to me, Jasper prys open the door and slowly continues to my bedside.

"Sparring accidents happen all the time, you needn't worry, moreover... I'm incredibly sorry for harming you so. You're adjustment truly caught me by surprise and I ended up reacting more fiercly than I planned. Please forgive me." Pleading in a truly apologetic tone. He seems to have mistaken my loss of control as just pure momentary anger?

"Prince Jasper no, I... I lost control there, I'm so sorry! I-" Before I could continue Jasper interjected. 

"You needn't worry! Haaah, honestly I'm more impressed than anything, your instincts are second to none! I'd like to make a request actually, if I may be so bold, would you mind sparring with us regularly? It's not often we have an opporunity to practice with such fighting styles." 

"W- what? I... I mean sure yeah, of course! Thank you your highness." I stammer out. What on earth is happening today.

"Excellent! You're all invited of course! I'll be happy to take on Lady Seyu once you've recovered too, of course." Jasper pauses for a second.

"Ahh yes, miss Koko, Hanna said to seek her out if you wish to participate in some further lessons." He states with a sly wink. Which would've been cool had he not instantly turned seven shades of red afterwards. He tried I guess.

With that exchange, the prince left with the promise of at least one spar a week. With the rest of our days we thought to check out the city, so once me and mom are in working order, we'll visit the streets and adventuers guild too.

Everyone left to give me time to rest. Everyone except Asty who I had pull into the bed as my snuggletoy, I'm hurt so she can't complain. Cats need warm environments to feel at ease and heal.

2