Chapter 4: A Bouquet of Flowers
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having already set up shop, Alena stood on the corner and stared at the potion Eula gave her for a moment. She would be fine, just a little rest and a cup of honeyed tea every day would help stave it off, she thought. Better to hold on to the potion for when someone who really needed it, if worse came to worse she could use the potion for Alek should he ever get sick. Confident in her decision, she pocketed the concoction in her coat pocket. Ready for the afternoon, she welcomed any and all potential buyers that passed by her stall. It was then that a man she had never seen before dressed in lavish attire and accompanied by two men approached. A Magnate of the noble estate perhaps? She greeted the man with a smile like she would to any other person who came to buy flowers from her.

“Good afternoon, I am honored to be in the presence of nobility. How may I help you, good Sir. Are there any flowers you see to your liking?”

“Hm, they say there’s a young woman who knows all there is about flowers with a shop in the south district. And so I’ve come all this way to meet you, in this place full of beggars and undesirable wretches. I’ve heard good things about you.”

“I-I’m flattered, my lord. Though I’m nothing more than a girl who sells flowers, I will do my best to be of service to you.”

“Very good. I’d like a flower for my wife, but I’ve no knowledge of such things. So, what would you recommend?”

    “Hmm, is there a special occasion? I could pick something based on the occasion.”

“It is my wife’s birthday, she has a garden and enjoys tending to her plants. And so I plan to surprise her and give her flowers.”

“How wonderful, that is so very sweet of you. Your wife is very lucky to have married such a thoughtful man. I wish your wife the happiest of days.”

“Ahem. It is a man’s pride to keep his wife happy!” He seemed flustered.

“Well, if it’s her birthday, perhaps a flower with a color she likes. Is there any color she’s fond of?”

    “A color? Why the hell would I know that?!”

    “I-I didn’t mean to offend you, my lord! Forgive me.”

“Tch. Why should I care what color she likes, it’s a damn flower. I knew this would be a waste of time, I could just buy some expensive gift. Let us go-”

“W-Wait a moment, a preference of color was only a suggestion. Instead of a single flower, perhaps a bouquet of flowers would be preferable. And since it is a day of celebration I shall offer a discount in consideration.”

“A discount for a bouquet of flowers?!” He shouted in a loud voice, his eyebrow raised. Had she angered him somehow? Or… “Well now, I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea. Yes, a bouquet of flowers might just work. A good offer, a very good offer indeed. Hmm, in that case I think I’ll buy 10 bouquets since you’ve been so kind as to offer me a discount, a generous deal if I do say so myself.”

“B-But of course! I’ll prepare them right away.” 

She hadn’t ever had a customer willing to buy so many flowers before, she’d only ever sold a handful of flowers in a day. And so Alena began to fill the baskets with the best flowers she had, ensuring each and every bouquet was filled with the prettiest and colorful of flowers. She was filled with such joy and a feeling of relief, after all the money earned from this sale could- 

“Ough, ough!” Coughing over all the flowers, they were splattered red. Unable to stop herself, Alena coughed once more into her hand. She could only stare at the blood that pooled in her palm.

    “S-She’s diseased!” The noble backed away. 

    “N-no! This is-” Alena attempted to reach out to the noble.

“Disgusting beggar, get her away from me.” Having his men intervene, they pushed Alena to the ground.

“The flowers are likely tainted. Grab the torches, burn it all!” The noble commanded his men and they began to burn all the bouquets as well as the flowers she had gathered.

“No, stop-” She screamed yet devolved into a coughing fit.

“To think we let you repugnant peasants live in our kingdom, and now you spread disease like the vermin you are. I’ll have the Castellan quarantine this district, we cannot let you vermin infect the populace! We shouldn’t have ever welcomed you in our city.” 

“Lord Malo, we must leave. If you stick around any longer you might get sick.”

“Hmph. You’re right, but before that…” He turned to face his guard. “Zygi. Stay behind and make sure you burn all of it.” The noble crushed a flower beneath his foot and spat into the fire before leaving. “I take my leave of this foul place.” 

“As you wish, my lord.” Leaving his guard behind, the noble stormed off. The guard then turned to find a teary-eyed Alena. “I’m sorry about all of this.”

“Why… Why must you be so cruel!” She pouted. A crowd had gathered at this point to witness what had happened.

“It is the will of the nobility to do as they please. I’m afraid I cannot go against him while he is around.” He paused. “However, he is no longer here. You, over there! Fetch a bucket of water and put out this fire!” He commanded.

“Y-Yes Sir!”

“As for you all, if you do not wish to help extinguish this fire then leave.” The crowd began to disperse while some others followed suit and gathered their buckets.

“Why? After you torched everything that belonged to me, why help me? Why!” She cried out.

“Because what he did was cruel. However I cannot oppose him. I can’t imagine you’ll forgive him or me, but I’m truly sorry for the damage we caused you. I must go now.” The guard then walked away, leaving her helpless and alone on the ground. 

All her hard work had now gone up in fire and ash. Alena couldn’t stop coughing, the smoke only made it worse. Alena remembered the potion Eula gave her, it could help resolve all of this. She reached into her pocket, however she felt a sharp pain and took her hand out. Her pocket was soaked, having cut herself on the shards of wet glass, the contents of the potion leaking through her coat. It had shattered in the fall, what she had planned to save and pocket for later was now gone.

“How could I have been so foolish…” She could do nothing but cover her face and sob quietly to herself.

“Alena? Alena!” A young boy called out to her, the one person she cared for the most.

“Alek…?”

“I saw the smoke from a distance, I ran here as fast as I could! What happened, are you alright? Here, let me help you up!” Alek helped her on her feet. 

“I’m sorry, I did something stupid-” She began to hack and cough.

“We need to get you home.” They began walking down the street toward their apartment. “Can you tell me what happened? Who did this to you?”

“I’m sorry… I angered a noble. The flowers, they’re all gone, but it doesn't matter now… I feel weak, I don’t feel so good.”

“A-alright. Just hang on, just a little further now, we’re almost home.”

Having made it their apartment, Alek managed to put Alena to rest in her bed after having struggled to get her up the stairs. “I’ll make some tea, so just rest.” He reassured her.

“...Mm…” Alena could barely talk, stuck in fevered stupor she was left vulnerable.

    Alek stood by her side throughout the entire ordeal, it was going to be okay he believed. All would be well, and yet unaware of the dangers that lurked nearby, there was one person who had witnessed everything that occurred. Silently observing them from across the road, a man stared up and watched the siblings through their apartment window in anticipation. 

“So this is where you were.” The veiled man whispered to himself.

0