Chapter 1– The Adventure Begins for a Treasure Hoarding Outlander
223 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I mean, what’s the worst that can happen?” Vaughn said, barely able to contain his laughter when he saw Evelyn’s face nearly bursting red with concern.

“What’s the worst that can happen? You can die! How are you so calm about this?” his coworker Evelyn retorted. Her short black hair and fiery attitude were no different in the office and out.

Normally, Vaughn would be on her side. For his entire life, he believed it. He was supposed to keep his head down, study well, enter a good company, work long nights, grind his soul away for the corporate american dream, and make partner by his mid forties to finally enjoy the good life.

But was that really what he wanted?

He could have a heart attack this week, just like his dear friend Bob, who got pushed over the edge working a hundred hour weeks at an investment bank. Or even worse–god forbid– he failed to make partner. That was sarcastic, by the way. The last thing he wanted to do was slave away his twenties and thirties for the off chance to let other people decide his right to be a wrinkly treasure-hoarding dragon in his forties.

Not that he disliked the prospect of sitting over a pile of gold all day, breathing fire at interns that dared look his way. What bothered him most was that he had little to no control over the process. Vaughn would never stand for that. Life was meant to be lived by his choices, by his own actions, and if he made a mistake and died because of that… maybe fell into a ravine or something while fighting a goblin… well… he’d rather die on his own terms than live on someone else’s.

The more he thought about it, the more impatient he got. This Gateway was the opportunity that he’d been waiting for all this time. An opportunity for him to seek glory and make his own fortune, without having to bend the knee to anyone else.

“Vaughn! Please think this through rationally! It’s too dangerous, and you have no idea what’s on the other side. You already have a nice life, why risk it all for nothing?” Evelyn continued, her words making perfect logical sense, but Vaughn had already decided what he was going to do.

“Anything’s better than reviewing a trial balance until two in the morning on a Saturday night, Evelyn. Oh, and unpaid overtime for better exit opportunities,” Vaughn said with a smile on his face, mockingly imitating the pitch that the human resources department gave to them. “Well, I think this is the exit opportunity that I was looking for all along. Why not live life to the fullest and chase your dreams? Hey, you might get rich and famous too, just like what it says there–” the dark haired twenty-three year old replied, pointing lazily at a monolithic pillar that had sprouted alongside the Gate right in the middle of Times Square.

I. Explore the unknown

II. Uncover untold riches

III. Gain fame beyond belief

IV. Level up your physical and magical capabilities

Below the four bullet points were a set of hieroglyphs written in some kind of runic language, which for some reason could still be read by humans via automatic translation.

Welcome, Outlanders! Do you wish to explore foreign lands, traversing lush green prairies, and swimming alongside beautiful coral reefs? How about uncovering exotic treasures and artifacts, encountering never-before-seen creatures, and gaining fame beyond belief? And last but not least, do you wish to level up and increase your skills? If any of this sounds interesting to you, just enter through the Gateway, and live in the world of Alvatross for a season!

Only items that originated from Alvatross may be brought to Alvatross. Any items obtained in Alvatross may be brought back when the season ends, including swords, potions, and accessories. As the world contains unique dangers, there may be a slight chance of death. This gateway will open again when the next season begins.

The second paragraph sounded like it was written for a drug advertisement, complete with the morbid disclaimer. But that wasn’t enough to deter Vaughn, who’d already been sold by the second bullet point.

A lottery system will be used to determine candidate eligibility. Winning lottery tickets are those ending with 1, 3, 6, and 7.

That was yesterday’s news, and thankfully, Vaughn got lucky. He was one of the first to enter the lottery yesterday, and he received ticket number 626, a qualifying lot. There was no way in hell he’d back out now, not when fortune finally favored him for a moment.

“I’m going, that’s for sure.”

“Well, suit yourself then. This is your last chance to make the right decision. Ugh… even my sister wants to go, but my mom stopped her.”

“It’ll be alright, Evelyn,” he replied with confidence. “I can take care of myself. You make sure that things will be okay on this side, alright?”

“Fine, fine…” Evelyn grumbled, her arms crossed as her suit creased in the arms. It was a Tuesday afternoon during her lunch break, so she had the usual business casual on.

Meanwhile, Vaughn was sporting a tracksuit and gray sweatpants, with the infamous combination of white socks and Adidas flip-flops. Multiverse explorer’s business casual. He’d seen this getup in a webtoon once, and he always wanted to try it out at least once in his life. And what better time than the present to cut loose and live a little? Plus, there had to be some sort of set bonus for this particular outfit, given how chic it was. +10 charisma, motherfucker.

[30 seconds until the Gate opens.]

A calm female voice spoke directly into the heads of everyone waiting patiently in front of the gate, including Vaughn and Evelyn. It sounded like the voice belonging to a spunky haired lady that would play during the spaceship boarding scene of a sci fi movie from the 80s.

The twenty-four year old girl flinched. “I heard about this, but it’s so weird to experience first hand…”

Evelyn was not just referencing the female announcer, but also the blue box that had appeared in front of her and everyone else, floating like an obedient hologram.

[15 seconds until the Gate opens.]

“Yeah, it’s kind of like a game, huh. Kind of exciting right?” Vaughn said with a mischievous grin. “Goes with the whole leveling up thing.”

“I guess so… you’re the expert on games, don’t ask me,” Evelyn sighed.

As the gateway’s grand opening approached, Vaughn unwrapped and took one last bite from his cream cheese bagel, before offering the half bitten bagel to Evelyn.

“Y’wannafinnishit?” Vaughn asked, his mouth still full of a terrifying amount of carbohydrates and sesame seeds.

“Uh, no thanks…” Evelyn replied. “Have a safe trip.”

“You too. Take care.”

[The Gate has opened.]

[You may now enter the portal.]

[The Gate will close in ten minutes. The lottery for the next opening will be decided shortly.]

Without an ounce of hesitation as the gate roared to life, Vaughn sprinted forwards towards the newly opened portal, jumping headfirst through the swirling blue energy and into the unknown.

—----

He opened his eyes a moment later, just to find himself floating in what appeared to be an endless cosmos. He was still inhabiting his body, but for some reason he could see himself from the third person.

Hell yeah! This had to be the character selection part of the journey. Well, this was exciting. Plans were already forming in Vaughn’s hyperactive mind on what kind of path he wanted to undertake.

Welcome, Outlander.

Assessing behavioral traits.

Can’t wait to see what–

Vaughn’s thoughts were cut short when a blast of cold water hit his face, metaphorically. He felt like his brain was being rinsed out from the inside out, and some kind of metapresence appeared to be scouring his memories with the subtlety of a jackhammer.

You are the first person to enter the gate. You did not even think twice before jumping through. This is highly unusual and irrational behavior from an outlander.

You have gained the trait [Reckless]. You do not think before you act.

Just… what the hell was this?

You have an intense desire to prove yourself better than others. You take on risky propositions to further your goals.

You have gained the trait [Ambitious]. You have a strong determination to succeed.

You have a collection of five hundred and seventy one items known as ‘video games’ sitting in your compendium stash known as ‘steam library’. You have only used ten of these.

You have an unhealthy obsession with material wealth.

You have gained the trait [Hoarder]. You have an unhealthy obsession with collecting items and material wealth.

Now this was just too unfair. What kind of profiling was this??

You have an exceedingly strong sense of intuition.

You have gained the trait [Deductive]. You may notice things that others overlook.

Assessing physical potential.

Your [Strength] is slightly above average.

Your [Constitution] is excellent.

Your [Dexterity] is slightly above average.

Your [Mana Manipulation] potential is well above average.

Damn. Only one characteristic was excellent or above. He was sure that he’d score a bit higher on dexterity, after all, he just started going to those yoga classes right?

[Behavioral traits reassessed.]

You are unsatisfied with above average attributes across the board. You believe yourself to be better than others in all aspects.

You have gained the trait [Narcissistic]. You are in love with yourself and believe yourself to be exceptional when compared to others.

Vaughn decided to silence his inner thoughts before any more of them betrayed him.

Assessing zodiac affinity.

Zodiac affinity found, [Dragon].

You share an affinity with Dragons. This is due to your traits Narcissistic, Hoarder, Reckless, Ambitious. The characteristics you are missing are Vindictive, Egotistical, and Easily Angered.

Due to the unique combination of your zodiac affinity, behavioral traits, and being the first outlander to enter through the gate, you have an option to select a unique profession. This profession will only be offered to you, Vaughn Hallows.

A new profession is available, [Treasure Hoarding Outlander (unique) (legendary)]

Are you satisfied with the results of your evaluation?

Well, that was a surprise. It seemed like his slew of negative-sounding traits actually ended up being a good thing when taken as a whole. It kind of sounded like taking two vials of deadly poisons and combining them, having their characteristics counteract each other, and ending up with a super elixir.

“Completely satisfied.”

The moment Vaughn’s eyes laid upon the (unique) and (legendary) tags, he was sold. And plus, something just rang right about the Treasure Hoarder profession.

Do you accept the profession [Treasure Hoarding Outlander]?

“Accept.”

[You have received a new profession quest.]

[Profession Quest: Find your first treasure [0/1]]

Reward: Bag of Hoarding, Prerequisite for profession questline

[You will require more strength to be able to carry more treasures in your sack.]

[Your strength has increased.]

[Your strength has increased.]

[Your strength has increased.]

Vaughn’s eyes twinkled with greed, seeing his stats go up with absolutely zero input from him. He was already prepared to grind for levels, but to be gifted like this just because of his profession? Perfect.

As a treasure hoarding outlander, there is a possibility that you may need to brave dragonfire during your adventures. This boon will be bestowed upon you to aid you in your journey.

[Your dragonfire resistance has increased to heroic.]

Outlander assessment is now complete.

You will now be transferred to the Beginner’s Alcove.

Vaughn began to feel a sensation as if the universe around him was sucked into a vortex, transporting him forward towards a dark tunnel with a light at the end of it. At the end of the tunnel, he could see a grassy field…

And so began the adventures of the treasure hoarding outlander Vaughn Hallows, who was most certainly not a dragon, although he might think and sound like one.

8