Friendship blooms in the weirdest of times!
976 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was unexpected to hear Kurokawa talking about her circumstances this clearly. When she told me she wanted to ask for help from the others directly before meeting up with the other two girls, I thought she would only request them to do something for her rather than explain the whole ordeal like that. 

I mean... Her mother, one of the biggest reasons for Kurokawa's reclusive life, was supposed to be hidden. She did not want anyone to know about her and her mother's toxic relationship. And that is putting it lightly. Very lightly, in fact!

"I'm sorry for telling you this. It is difficult to talk about and to hear, also." Tapping my chest, Kurokawa pulls out of my embrace. After bowing her head down to everyone in the carriage, Kurokawa says with a heartfelt tone: "My story may have been disturbing and dampened the mood. For that, I apologize. I certainly did not intend it to be so. However, I truly wish for your support in doing this."

The bookworm utterly hated sympathy from the others. That was why Kuro never revealed anything of her past to anyone. Not even the protagonist, Han, although he helped her get rid of her mother's dead corpse, and they shared a relatively intimate relationship afterward. She knew that the moment she let that secret out, her world would crumble into dust. More than anything, our bookworm worried about the prying eyes of outsiders. 

In reality, no one would care since this place was filled with shadow figures without a mind of their own. In Kurokawa's head, she was trying her best to fit in. She was trying to be like everyone else, ordinary and free from the dark thoughts that always existed. Suffering from an inferiority complex, the last thing Kuro wanted was to be looked at as an injured animal. 

Our bookworm was already pitying herself all the time. There was no need for others to help with that. Alas, things are different now. 

Honestly, thank the lord!

"Besides you all, I have no one I could call friends. And after this, I would desperately need the support from those close to me the most." Kuro says with a suppliant tone. 

"Don't worry, Wawa." Rachel puts her thumb up alongside a reassuring smile. "As long as it's physical, I'm in. I'm like...super-strong, y'know? There's nothing wrong with helping a friend in need!"

Wawa...? 

Kurokawa says nothing. However, the deadly stares and the twitches in the corner of her eyes demonstrate her inner voice as clearly as Han's indecisiveness. 

"Kuh!" Laura chuckles after looking at the two. "Welcome to the club, Kurokawa. I can tell you Rachel is not letting that name go once she has found one. At least yours is not like a dog's name." Then, as my girlfriend remembers something, she makes a heavy sigh. 

"Well... Not trying to be insulting, but calling Kurokawa "Kurokawa" can sometimes be a mouthful to me. It's long! Class rep, too. They're...too stoic. Too cold. I wanna be friends with you two. Wawa and Reppy are much more suitable." Rachel pumps her alluring chest up, seemingly proud of what she did. 

Unlike Rachel's playful attitude, Laura buries her face in her two palms. Her voice is muffled and exhausted. As if she had given up fighting back this futile war. "Please don't call me Reppy. I'm not your pet. It's utterly ridiculous." 

"Come on! Don't be so stingy all the time! You two can call me...um...uh...Blondie! Yeah! Call me Blondie!" 

Nearby, I catch a glimpse of Han's face. The protagonist of this world is simply sitting still and observing the scene unfolding before his eyes with keen interest. Looking at him like this, I already know the guy has no intention to intervene. Or rather, he is trying to learn things from me. 

How do I know that? Well, there is a hint of awe on his handsome face. Although I can not read his mind, I understand Han enough to guess it.

Please do not think this is within my control, pal... I am not your love guru...

"That's still a human name, Rachel." The class rep gives Blondie a cold side-eye. "I couldn't care less if you are giving me a nickname. At least make it sound like something for a person." 

Listening to the conversation, I can see Kurokawa nodding her head. It is certain that "Wawa" is a bit out of reach for the bookworm. 

"Huh? I think Reppy is cute! Wawa, too!" Blondie leans her head on one side. "They suit you two, honestly."

"Haaaaaah." Once again, Laura sighs heavily. "It's like talking to a brick wall sometimes." 

Kurokawa does not say anything, but her expression is the same as Laura's. 

Keeping my mouth shut like a clam, I vow to stay out of this discussion. 

...Or not.

"What do you think, darling?" Rachel beams, mentioning me. 

The instance she does that, everyone turns their eyes toward me as the spotlight shifts.

"I think we should get back to Kurokawa." I swear I am not changing the subject! I merely think we need to focus on Kuro first before other things. Nicknames can come later when the bookworm's problem with her mother is resolved. 

"That's true. It was not a good time to do such a thing. I'm sorry, Wawa." Rachel apologizes. Still, at the end of her sentences...

"I appreciate your offer to help me, Rachel. I really do. Even though I'm asking you to face an adult, you would still lend me a hand. Please...C-call me W-wawa." 

Poor girl...

Laura raises her hand. "I'll also help whenever I can. Just don't expect me to do Rachel's bidding, though." She then points a finger at Blondie. "I'm not as strong as that, but I can do other things." 

I am a bit curious about the things Laura is saying. Nonetheless, I decided to stay silent in the meantime. She agreed to help, and that is the most crucial part. 

"Me, too!" Han stands up from his seat. "I'm sorry for before, Wa-..." The guy chokes on his spit almost instantly as Kuro stares him down. "I'm sorry for before, Kurokawa! Please don't hesitate to boss me around." 

Phew!

Good, we now have everyone on our side. With Han here, his protagonist's Deus ex Machina aura will help us tremendously. What we need is a plan to execute. 

"If you don't mind me asking. What are we going to do exactly?" Says Laura, attentive as usual. "I understand there is a bit of an issue between you and your mother, but at the end of the day, it's still a family thing, right? For Rachel and I, technically outsiders, to say anything... will it make any sense to her?" 

"Maybe not Rachel. But you will, Laura." Kuro turns her face toward the class rep. 

"Why me?" 

"Because my Mother is obsessed with results. Everything on my body was done to me because I was never good enough for her, and she had to remind me of that somehow. She wanted an obedient child who was serious and excelled at everything. She wanted a child who could lead others so that she could find her way back to society after her pregnancy. Someone who resembles her lost youth."

"I didn't know my classmate was suffering so much..." Han mumbled. His face was a mixture of sadness and surprise. "If I did, I would have tried to help her sooner."

Trust me, pal. The best you could do was to stay absolutely still. 

"Who in the class has better results than the perfect class representative herself?" And then emerald gems directly gaze at amber gems. "She never said she wanted to meet you or anything. However, I understand my Mother. If she could, she would throw me away for someone like you, Laura. In fact, the plan I have in mind must have you at the center of it." 

It saddens me to hear Kuro saying these words. I can not even fathom what is going on in her heart when her mind is telling her that her flesh and blood Mother would throw her away. I never had any attachments, so I can not say I understand those feelings well. 

Though, if the broken world I saw after kissing Kurokawa was from my past, I did have attachments... Maybe not only to Kurokawa but to the others, as well. 

"...Got it. What exactly do I have to do?" 

"It's simple, honestly. Just be there, that's it. I'll do the talking. You only need to observe and listen. With you there, my Mother will feel like seeing a past version of herself. I doubt that she would do anything to harm you." 

"But...Kurokawa, what about you? What if she does try to hit you again? It's not like it's the first time she physically abused you, right?" Han raises a legitimate concern. 

"No, she won't. As long as there are other people, especially those she considers to be of higher standing, she will refrain herself." 

"I see..."

"Yes. This may sound contradicting, but Mother worries about the looks of others and their whispers behind her back. She hates it yet is unable to look over it. Because of this reason, whenever my Mother goes outside, she always takes her time to dress up to her absolute best. Perhaps it's also because of her profession, but I don't think it's that important since people won't look at her directly that much." 

Once again, Han raises his hand: "Um, sorry, Kurokawa, what does she do exactly? If you don't mind me asking again, of course!" 

"An escort." Kurokawa replies with no emotion in her voice. 

(Happy holidays everyone! 2 years of writing, and we are finally approaching the end of the second day!!)

19