CH8: Into The Cabin Of Madness
135 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were still sounds of fighting in the cabin when I walked in with Ariel. Crashing sounds rang out through the cabin, and a window exploded beside us. Laughter echoed from the walls like the cabin itself was cackling at something. Termites blasted out of the window, seal covered in a familiar qi. I could hear a distinct slashing sound and something heavy dropping to the ground. I almost didn’t want to open the door.

 

Ariel was quick to throw in her two cents. “We could leave the dungeon, and the treasure cave's guardian won’t be able to reach us.” 

 

That wasn’t going to work for me. Majorian promised to help me get into the Super Plus Ultra Dragon Rider sect. Without that introduction, I would have to join the tournament where only three spots were open. Even if I won, it would be the judges who decided, not my own merit. I didn’t have the money to bribe them. Even if I sold my pants, it would be impossible.

 

“Can you tell me what this cabin is about?” 

 

“Well, it’s the cabin of madness. Those who go in see things that aren’t there, and from their delusions, monsters are formed. Dreams become a reality, and if someone can’t imagine themselves beating their nightmares, they will lose. Each floor of the cabin is worse than the last until they reach the top floor. There, your party must face the nightmare lord. This cabin has never been completed. Most stay on the first floor or don’t climb higher.”

 

I didn’t know what kind of nightmares I would have. Maybe more vampires, but I knew I could kill them. But killing more of them would boost my level. Nirvana needed more kills to level up, and the vampires were just the food it needed. So, honestly, this cabin felt like the best place for me.

 

Ariel smiled, revealing rows of teeth. “You’ll protect me from my nightmares, won’t you, master.” 

 

I pulled Nirvana free of its holster and pushed the door open. A massive pale skin woman made of shadows turned her glowing multi-eyed gaze at me before digging her fingers into her stomach. She ripped herself open, and spiders blasted out of her body and a seemingly endless wave. Webs covered the ground while all manner of insects battled the spiders in a losing battle. My qi erupted as I stepped forward.

 

Nightmare Immortal Spider Matriarch of Divine Silk lvl900

Endless Spider Queen Swarm lvl700

 

My hand shook as I pointed Nirvana forward at the nightmare. Nirvana sucked in my qi before I fired. The bullet shot through the spider matriarch’s eye despite my shaking. Of course, I was aiming for her abdomen. Her head fell backward, and spiders mixed with green blood poured out of her socket. Even as the spider queens moved, I fired shot after shot at the nightmare.

 

That’s when wasps broke free out of hundreds of thousands of cocoons. Termites exploded from the floorboards and swarmed the spiders in seas of white termites. Finally, a large pink scythe arm tore its way free from a massive cocoon strapped to the ceiling.

 

Even as the spiders closed in on me, Swarm was already moving. The wasps attacked the spiders, and larvae burst out from the arachnids’ bodies. Blood and spiders still poured out of the spider matriarch as I reloaded Nirvana.

 

The wasps and termites kept the spiders away while I aimed and fired. No matter how well placed, none of my shots could finish off the spider matriarch by themselves. But I could chip away at her health, and the wound Nirvana left didn’t heal quickly. If I fought alone, this would be impossible, and if I hadn’t shot the spider matriarch, Swarm might not have gotten free.

 

This was what being at a party was all about. Even Ariel had her uses. She said something in a strange language. Suddenly, my aim improved, my reaction time increased, and I could sense the spider matriarch’s health depleting.

 

When spiders fell out of her wounds, they didn’t attack; they retreated even as wasps chased them down. I reloaded again and shot out the matriarch’s last eye. Her health bar finally depleted, and the creature collapsed. Swarm moved in and slashed the matriarch’s head off with her scythe arm.

 

Red lvl125

+15DEX

DEX 600

Nirvana Rank1 lvl7

Nirvana Gunmanship lvl5

Drops

UR

Nightmare Spider Ring: Rank 1 lvl1 – A ring forged from one of the spider queen’s bones. -25% poison build-up. Level bonus +20%VIT

SSR

Spider Matriarch Infusion Pill: lvl150 – Monsters that take this pill gain Spider Matriarch Rank Up options

R

Arachnid Thigh guards: Rank 1 lvl1 – Chitinous guards that strap to the user’s thighs. Level Bonus +50PDEF/MDEF

C

10 Boxes of .45 Cal rounds.

 

Swarm tossed me the drops that were mine and collected the legendary glowing drops that were hers. Honestly, I was just happy to get drops at all. I slipped the ring on and strapped on the thigh guards. My legs were well protected, but everything else felt naked.

 

“Who was that?” I asked.

 

“Someone that should be dead. You did well, I’ll tell Majorian to work hard on his recommendation letter, or I’ll slip fleas into his armor again.” Swarm said.

 

“I think this place drove your party member insane.”

 

Swarm went on guard. “Red, get away from that thing. Do you remember the dangers of brain-eating monsters? Well, she’s a prime example of that. Mermaids create illusions through their charms to make themselves appear beautiful before eating unsuspecting party members. Believe me when I tell you she’s covered in scales.”  

 

Ariel covered her mouth and whispered. “I told you this place drove you crazy. I’ve been covered in scales since you met me an hours ago.”

 

I raised an eyebrow. “You were going to eat me.”

Ariel had the decency to look flustered. “But you’re my master now. I’m like an extension of your will. You say jump, I say how high, you say eat people, and I say how many.”

 

“I tamed her,” I said.

 

Swarm blinked, and for the first time since meeting her, I threw the undead for a loop. “I’m not talking about sex.”

 

For the first time, I realized I knew something she didn’t, which was weird. While taming wasn’t overly popular, it happened. Knights were known to tame their horses though it was frowned upon. Such control over another creature was powerful, and the stat bonuses were to die for. Everyone would do it if there wasn’t such a huge risk to using the skill. Or course, I couldn’t have tried if Ariel had been at full health. Most people don’t have qi that naturally promotes healthy life and growth. In most cases, after weakening a creature enough for taming to become viable, the tamed monster dies. So basically, I cheat, though not as much as my sister, who has a talent for the skill.

 

“That isn’t the taming I’m talking about. Instead, think a familiar one-sided bond.”

 

“It’s more like becoming a citizen in a new country. Before, I was a dungeon born, and now, I’m with you. I feel saner than I did before. There isn’t a voice in my head saying kill all intruders anymore.”

 

“Why do you act like she’s saying something to you when she squawks?” Swarm asked.

 

“I can understand her. To me, it's Loonese. Think of her as my pet, and where are the others.”

 

Swarm sighed and walked towards a set of closed double doors. Webs covered them along with a drider clinging to the roof above. She was attempting to make herself appear small under Swarm’s gaze.

 

“Samson should be through this door. But I haven’t heard anything from this side in a while.” Swarm sprayed the webs with a thick green substance, and they started melting.

 

“Are we going to do anything about the drider up there?” I asked.

 

“You can shoot her down if you want. Driders are powerful magic users, but she can’t put up much of a fight without the matriarch. They are best at buffing others like your mermaid.”

 

“I think you should shoot her down, master. Even if you tamed her, she’s a nightmare. If she leaves this place, she’ll vanish.” 

 

We stepped into the other room to see Samson in bed with a woman who looked like him bouncing on his; I looked away as wasps exploded out of Swarm. “Wait, Swarm, it's not what you think,” Samson yelled as the wasps attacked.

 

“I was dying, and you were having relations. What a nightmare this must have been.” I turned to see the drider peeking through the door. She saw me looking and quickly scuttled away. 

 

“She isn’t my sister, just a nightmare look alike. I thought that maybe it would complete the prophecy if I did this, and I would be free. Fortunately, it doesn’t look like you needed my help anyway.” 

 

“Oh, big brother, could you get your apprentice to join in. I’ve always wanted to be double stuffed.” The nightmare said.

 

I blinked and felt my respect for Samson plummet.       

 

Swarm valiantly ignored the nightmare. “Prophesies don’t work that way, and it said you were destined to mate with your sister, not a look-alike nightmare created in a dungeon. You aren’t even in your werewolf form.” I opened my mouth and closed it, fighting to get the image out of my head.

2