Chapter 11: Superior Being
115 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Superior Being

The atmosphere passed quickly the closer they got to the auction house.

The owner of the auction house hired Donovan the Nightmare to protect the auction, and that relationship worried the City Sun.

A relationship that could lead to Donovan the Nightmare having enough influence to dispute the position of ruler of the Blue City currently held by the Big Monkey.

And now the City Sun was moving to verify the strength of Donovan the Nightmare.

“This is a surveillance mission. We will not fight,” Nathaniel said and, handing her a pair of cloaking artifacts, he muttered. “You’ll slowly learn that the city is more complex than the countryside.”

Was he pointing to the idea that they would not capture this Supervillain? She had read Donovan the Nightmare’s background, and he was mostly involved in illegal gambling houses.

He was a criminal though and as superheroes, they had to stop him... Such was the idea taught by the trainers.

“My grandfather had to ‘gift’ cows to the town thug to cut down on trouble,” Alix muttered and putting on the artifact, she commented. “It’s not all about black and white situations.... And more so for people like us.”

She put on the artifact and watched her light brown hair change to a blonde hue and her beautiful freckles disappear.

Her master paused and watched her for a second.

“It’s a strange analogy, but understandable. This world is weak, and no one wants to destroy it,” Nathaniel muttered in a flat tone.

It wasn’t about the strength of this world.

Individuals like the man in front of her could fly into space and become a small sun... One that could burn nature and devastate the planet.

She herself had misused her strength when working on her grandparents’ farm and had done more harm than good.

An open conflict with another of the same level could destroy even the reinforced buildings in the city.

“I understand, master,” Alix replied quietly.

Her grandfather would give cows to the town thug to avoid trouble or to take care of those who caused it.

It was a small arrangement with a criminal to keep the peace and some balance.

While it was a small matter in the countryside, for Alix, there was a possibility that something similar existed in the city as well.

“We’ll be down soon. Don’t be nervous. Let me do the talking. If anything happens, stay by my side and if you get involved in a conflict, don’t hesitate to save your own life,” Her master ordered, observing her and seeing that she was nervous about the seriousness, he questioned. “Understood?”

“Yes, Sir!” Alix answered immediately.

The man sketched a smile as he used an artifact that turned his dark skin into a greenish hue, as curious as it was attractive.

Although he tried to put wrinkles on his skin, wanting to give a feeling of old age, even the wrinkles were smooth.

“Haven’t you thought of going to a skin care magazine? If you give your secret, you can make a fortune,” Alix murmured.

She was nervous, so she couldn’t restrain herself from giving her idea and...

“Other superheroes tell me the same thing. And I always turn them down,” the man replied, giving her a smile.

Even though he was normally serious, it didn’t mean he couldn’t respond to one of her jokes.

The car floated into the garden on the top floor of a commercial building and parked in the open area of the garden, and then they both got out.

She watched first the people arriving through the various portals a short distance away and making their way to the queue at the entrance of the building.

Some famous, rich, a couple of heroes and several people of different kinds were present.

Although today’s security was in the hands of a Supervillain, no one did anything or looked fearful.

And the reason was that the Thorn Auction Caste was part of a larger organization whose level was continental.

“This way.”

Alix followed her master without saying too much as she scanned the surroundings.

She understood that the reason her master was bringing her today was not to fight. It was for her to see this world, no longer from what the trainers were saying or what she was being taught.

Not from the values that the superheroes that appeared on television so much proclaimed.

But to see the truth, and the truth, was that both sides were in a better relationship than the superhero movies implied.

And now she followed her master, taking in all that surrounded her and stood in the queue waiting to enter.

There were many people, mostly business people and the wealthy, waiting for the attendants to let them in.

While it was a hassle to wait, no one complained, and those who had questions called the attendants who answered any questions.

A quiet and pleasant place, with professional attendants and everything is calm... She felt nothing else, including the security, which was practically non-existent.

No guards watching the guests or waiting professionally as she imagined a high prestige auction and while her idea came from movies and she knew movies exaggerated, here there was no security at all.

No cameras, no stares, magic, and virtually no security methods.

“The wait is quick,” Nathaniel murmured when she gave him a curious look.

Her master’s murmur was to tell her that he too noticed the strangeness of the lack of security and was also urging her to relax.

The entrance for this auction was unprotected and it was too weird.

Even if the auction was not that important, the security served to protect the items for sale and, most of all, to give clients confidence that the auction house would protect the safety of the guests.

Alix took a deep breath and relaxed as the wait to enter ended.

Then, when they were two people away from the receptionist, she frowned as a man suddenly appeared next to the receptionist.

“The rule is no entering with weapons,” the man ordered the guest.

He was a blond-haired man who was wearing a purple trench coat and shirt with black pants and to Alix, the outfit looked ill fitting.

She had no sense of fashion, but that outfit was extravagant, showy, and too colorful.

However, when the man felt her gaze and turned his eyes towards her, she noticed why he was wearing it.

“...”

Two purple streetlights shining brightly dazzled her completely, and she was swallowed by a sea of mental force, losing track of the surrounding space.

And then she felt a hand on her shoulder and her master covered her sight with his body.

The vision returned, and she took a deep breath, noticing that her feet cracked the ground.

Had she felt fear? No, it wasn’t fear, but her instincts awakened and her body seemed to have reacted.

She didn’t even realize that the man’s mental strength had immediately overwhelmed her.

“Invitation, please.”

The receptionist’s request snapped her out of her agitation and she raised her head again, noticing that Donovan the Nightmare was still watching beside the receptionist.

“Here it is,” Nathaniel said, passing out the invitations.

Was that man Donovan the Nightmare? The Code Orange she had read about in the files? Why did the look feel deep?

There was something there, deep in those purple eyes, that revealed his presence without fear or caution.

It didn't seem intended to intimidate, or even harm or threaten, it was simply the look of someone looking down on everyone.

“You may use disguises, masks or tricks to hide. However, do nothing suspicious,” the man said and, watching her with purple eyes, he added. “And don’t destroy the floor, either. Those are rules of the establishment.”

He gave the impression that he was reading some kind of warning instructions and Alix, realizing what he meant, swallowed hard.

He’d just been found out and... The man disappeared as if finishing the job.

“You may come in. Follow the directions to your private balcony,” the receptionist said.

Alix blinked in surprise as an attendant guided her to the private balcony.

She expected some reaction not because of her when she was a country girl with no accomplishments or reputation, but because of the City Sun.

Her master was a heavyweight, even on a planetary level! A Super among Super’s! And yet, even though that man saw through the cloaking device, there was no reaction.

No fear, surprise, alertness, or even any kind of sign that he knew him.

Nothing.

As they both entered the balcony and the security barrier came up, Alix watched her master, expecting something from him.

“Interesting don’t you think?” the City Sun asked with a curious expression.

He didn’t seem angry that the man didn’t recognize him, but interested and, above all, he revealed a certain unique seriousness.

Her master approached the glass overlooking the auction and looked at the people present today.

“What do you think?” Her master asked without looking at her.

What did she think?

“It’s nothing like the file I’ve read... And those eyes don’t look normal... I felt like a sea was hitting me. Not created by someone... A natural sea,” Alix muttered, trying to put her feelings into words.

She knew that psychics appeared not too long ago, but the city security files were no joke.

It detailed weaknesses and strengths and even tastes.

There was nothing like two lanterns like eyes that could practically light up in the night! Let alone a mental force like a sea.

A sea that gave the impression that it was endless.

“You have keen senses. Although I haven’t met Donovan before, whoever is in that body is not him,” her master replied and seeing her give an awkward expression, revealed. “Psychics are rare, but in every realm, there are beings with which one should not engage.”

Beings with whom they were not to get involved?

Alix had received warnings from her grandmother and teachers not to go near, neither weird old men offering her candy, nor voices, demons, or miraculous lights, nor the well near her house.

Although she now doubted that the latter had anything sinister involved, it was unquestionable that these warnings concealed deep secrets.

Divine and Demonic Beings existed, as well as Gods and other Beings of great power.

And now her master was pointing to that very idea.

“Do you think Donovan was involved with that kind of Being?” Alix hesitated and watched her master.

That man kept his attention on the auction and before he answered, a presence emerged from the balcony above the auction stage.

It was a guard balcony and while it was completely hidden with barriers that prevented seeing inside, an aura emerged from inside.

Although not overwhelming, it was ominous, as if warning all auction attendees not to cause trouble.

It wasn’t even threatening them; it was targeting the entire auction and from the way people were relaxing; it was obvious that this was a standard warning.

“Maybe. It wouldn’t be uncommon for supervillains or superheroes to emerge after making contracts with demons or gods for powers. What matters is whether it’s a threat to this world or not,” her master replied and looking back at her, revealed. “I will talk it over with the Prophet. I’ll see if she’s had any visions of a Code Black.”

Alix relaxed as she felt her master’s calm.

This world had beings that could destroy the entire planet, but at the same time, it had beings that could protect it.

And her master, the City Sun, was of the latter.

******

The aura surged again, silencing the auction host for seconds and then vanished.

Wayne Donovan, who was inside the guard balcony, frowned.

—Auras are perfect for causing tension in the minds of inferior beings. They trigger fear, awe and dread among other emotions and weaken their minds. Creating false auras is useful to take advantage of those more susceptible.

The voice arose in his mind as he looked at the can that had just emanated the aura he had desired.

The voice was high and deep. It sounded masculine, and behind each word was an overwhelming power that was fully contained.

Even at this moment, his master was still in control of his power.

Donovan turned to look at the baby in the stroller with a pillow around his neck, giving rest to the big head.

Unlike when he first met him that the head seemed bigger than the body, this time the body was increasing in size and now it did look like a baby over a year old.

However, the physical body did not matter when inside there was a being of overwhelming power.

“Thank you for your wisdom, master,” Donovan replied quietly.

He had been working for the Big Monkey at the gambling house while he learned and improving himself.

The first time he awakened his psychic abilities, he sensed that there was something else outside this world, waiting for those worthy to seek it out.

It was not about space, but beyond the reality of the physical body, and it was only when he met his master that he realized he was correct.

How was it possible for such a small body to contain such an overwhelming sea of mental power? And the most incredible thing was that this sea was endless and grew more and more.

—You are a quick learner. —His master said and raising his hand, he demanded. —Help me with the food.

“Of course,” Donovan replied as he walked over to the bag and pulled out a highly nutritious baby puree, and then, as he approached, he asked. “Would you like me to feed you?”

His voice sounded a little excited? Being useful to a Superior Being was his new life goal.

His perspective changed when his master possessed his body and it was his master who reinforced the idea that it was proper to leave the Big Monkey and his master did so every time he controlled his body.

The power of his master wielded as he controlled him like a tool was overwhelming.

—It is unnecessary. I can feed myself. —His master replied as he floated the bowl and spoon to his side.

“Of course, master. You are amazing,” Donovan said immediately.

—I know. —His master replied as the spoon floated with puree into his mouth.

Even though he was lying in the stroller, the spoon knew where to move and the food didn’t even fall out.

Perfect telekinetic control.

The door suddenly opened and Jonathan the Formless stepped onto the balcony, leaving the jacket behind as he approached.

Without even asking, he took the bowl and spoon to feed his master, who received it as normal.

“I’m done with my part of the job,” Jonathan calmly revealed.

It was surprising that someone like the Formless would serve his master, though it felt normal when Donovan thought about what kind of being his master was.

Wasn’t it normal for his master to have minions to serve him? No, perhaps he needed worshippers and no minions.

As a Superior Being, it was necessary to have believers to pay obeisance to him.

Donovan smiled subtly at his idea.

—I’ll be out again in a moment. I want to continue analyzing how far I can go with another body without having my pathetic real body nearby. —His master replied.

Telepathy was so easy for his master that he didn't even move.

Even though his master was a Superior Being, he was currently imprisoned in a body of a baby and it was hard for him to exert his overwhelming strength.

So it was normal for him to practice his abilities, and Donovan admired him even more for it.

Who would continue to improve after reaching the greatest heights? The powerful became lazy, but his master was not that kind of entity.

“Don’t say that your body is pathetic, young master. Your body will eventually grow,” Jonathan said as he fed the Superior Being.

Donovan disliked the way Jonathan treated his master like a child, but he let it be because his master called him a babysitter and Jonathan acted like one.

“I’ll go, master,” Donovan said and seeing his master nod, he hesitated a moment and added. “Have you thought about having more people to help you?”

His question attracted the attention of his master and the babysitter, who watched him closely as if wanting to know what he was planning.

However, having his master’s attention, Donovan continued.

“This job gets annoying. So ideally we would gather people who can complete the job for us. Reduce our weight and that way you’ll have more free time and won’t have to spend your energy going to watch,” Donovan detailed and realizing that his master was interested, he added. “I know people who are trustworthy and willing to work.”

His former subordinates and supers he had worked with would be willing to follow him, and he would show them the brilliance of his master.

In this world, people followed the strong and when they discovered that his master was extremely strong, they would follow him to the end of days.

They would also make the job easier and his master would not have to be on patrol, as others could handle such tasks.

His master pondered this as he ate the mashed potatoes in silence.

—Do it, boy. —His master replied and seeing Jonathan tensed, he added. —Don’t worry, babysitter. Your share of the profits will not be reduced.

Jonathan’s expression quivered in what to Donovan was a mixture of smile and oddity.

To Donovan, Jonathan wasn’t worried about the reduction in his salary, but rather the people he was going to hire.

“Thank you... For your generosity, young master,” Jonathan said and, setting the mashed potatoes aside, he asked. “May I be in charge of checking on these... Subordinates?”

His master’s response was to wave the spoon in a clear motion for him to do as he wished.

Jonathan then signaled for him to leave and Donovan followed him as he adjusted the outfit his master liked.

As they left, they walked away from the main balcony, and Donovan noticed how Jonathan immediately turned around.

“What are you planning to do?” Jonathan asked, observing him simply.

Behind that simplicity, he hid a cold, dark seriousness of someone who was willing to eliminate anyone for the person he followed.

Donovan liked that side of Jonathan.

“I was thinking of recruiting people. My master can’t handle all the menial tasks. I’d also like to help him earn more money so he can afford everything he wants. Someone like him shouldn’t have to worry about petty matters,” Donovan said, and without hiding the serious look, he detailed. “Some minions will help him get what he’s after more easily.”

His tone was serious and direct.

Someone like his master did not have to do everything on his own and people would have to be serving him, asking him for advice, or even admiring the overwhelming power he could wield.

A Superior Being was not supposed to have material concerns.

Jonathan couldn’t understand... No, maybe he didn’t want to understand.

Jonathan was tied to the parents of his master’s body and could not see what he saw, even if his body was controlled.

“I’ll check on the people. No good-for-nothings, bastards or disobedient people. I want quiet and loyal people,” Jonathan replied and as the black eyes lost shape, he warned. “I don’t want to eliminate loose ends.”

Jonathan's sinister voice evidenced that he was as loyal as he was.

Donovan nodded.

This was not a contest of who was better at serving their master, but how they could best serve their master.

“Of course. The better they are, the better it will be for my master,” Donovan replied, as if it were obvious.

His instant response caused Jonathan to look at him again before shaking his head and returning to the balcony.

Jonathan didn’t seem to understand his reasons for being of service to his master and to Donovan, it was odd since the man was working as a babysitter.

2