Chapter 32: Bar
83 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 32: Bar

Monique gave a serious and professional expression as she sat in the passenger seat of a car.

It was a limousine-like armored car, and the protection was high.

The windows of the car were armored, and the frame was made of reinforced metal and had several weapons designed for attack and defense.

The rear was wide with two seats facing each other and while a window had been installed dividing the driver’s area with the back, this time it was not elevated.

Who was driving was Zaid and behind them, Sanya was following them on a motorcycle.

All this security was for the person they were driving... The Master.

The Great and Mighty Being who managed to catch the Great Monkey and his mother, whose fists were making the earth tremble and that being right now was…

—I will not drink milk.

The boy was sitting right where the rear-view mirror was facing and was refusing the bottle Jonathan was trying to give him.

“But you haven’t recovered yet.” Jonathan insisted with a look of concern.

—I don’t want it. I will not drink that drug now. —The master replied, refusing the bottle.

Monique, looking at the gray haired boy who seemed to be throwing a tantrum, remembered the maniacal laughter and that rift that split reality.

No matter how childish he looked or his actions, that being was her master... The new ruler of the Blue City, the strongest Transcendental of all.

Whatever that title meant.

“I heard from Jonathan that you wanted to use the right-hand man and the other minions of the Great Monkey,” Donovan said and hesitating, muttered. “I thought you wanted them all dead. You know. Do nature’s work.”

—Oh, yes. We’ve stopped them from continuing to grow in numbers. Those primates won’t be able to increase their numbers now that the Great Monkey is gone. —The boy replied, and meeting Jonathan and Donovan’s gaze, explained. —I saw it in the little monkey’s memories. He used the Great Monkey to create genetic enhancements.

He was still confused as to who the Great Monkey was and called the mother of that former villain by the title that had caused terror in the city.

It made sense, though.

Only a code black could give defiance to her master and all others were insignificant... Monique nodded without hiding a certain sense of awe inside.

How could she not be amazed?

The person who turned her into a super and opened up a new world to her had become the boss of the Blue City criminal world.

So what if she had to work all day for the last three days? So what if her master didn’t organize anything? A being like her master did enough and now it was the turn of people like her to work and bring order to everything.

Order... They were bringing order and were taking care of all the business that the Great Monkey had and while they had some difficulties; they were doing well.

Or rather, after people found out that the Great Monkey was defeated and they were making sure everyone knew about it.

“I understand. Then I will hire them. After seeing your awesome power, they have been submissive. They will be helpful in bringing all business under our control,” Donovan said and with a simple tone, he added. “We also expect some trouble. There will be idiots who will try to challenge us, thinking they can beat us and more so now that the Great Monkey is gone.”

There was always that kind of moron who believed they could reach great heights while being mediocre.

Monique, as a minion of the lowliest, she had seen many lowly villains who were trash, and it was not uncommon for one or more of them to try to make a place for themselves in this vast city.

—The inferior beings are ignorant by nature. Most die of ignorance.

That answer from the master gave freedom for them to educate the idiots who were looking for trouble or to eliminate them in case they did not learn.

It gave them freedom to murder anyone, and Monique turned her head again to watch the boy in the rearview mirror.

He couldn’t have been over two years old, but the way he spoke didn’t match his physical form... Just like now, she had heard him before, and perhaps he wasn’t trying to deceive them when he said he was a prisoner.

And yet, in that prison, he was still strong.

How strong would he be if he wasn’t a prisoner?

Monique pushed the question away by concentrating back on surveillance.

“Also, Gloria has asked me to tell you that she wants a uniform. She has been complaining that she has been working too hard and doesn’t want her identity revealed. It’s one thing to work for the organization as a croupier and another to be a direct member,” Donovan said, reading one of the many notes next to him.

Monique had heard it not only from Gloria, but from some fellow minions who wanted uniforms that would identify them as members of the organization.

Ordinary people when they looked at a primate related it to the Great Monkey and they needed the same and the best way to get it was with uniforms for the organization and for supers like them some villain outfits.

She didn’t mind being linked to the organization and was probably already marked by the police, but it was good to hide and it was even more important for people like Celes who had family.

Even that young man and Gloria, who had previously worked as a croupier, had been working more directly following the master.

“That’s a good idea. We need to increase security measures for concealment, even for you, young master,” Jonathan said and calmly, he added. “Donovan recognized me the first time. And some people know that your parents have a son and that I am in charge of taking care of you... Which means that if they see me, we can get your father in trouble or they will find out about you.”

Monique remained calm and gave no expression.

She was listening, but whatever was said here would not come out of her mouth and she was willing to put everything she had heard out of her mind.

She would not ask questions either and preferred to ignore who her master’s parents were and the fact that the mother was a very different superheroine than her son.

Family problems were none of her business.

“That’s true. Rumors about your mother are common and if they see Jonathan with a child in the baby carrier... Anyone will draw the same conclusions I did,” Donovan said and in a low voice, muttered. “It also doesn’t help that Jonathan gets defensive when they name you.”

The little boy let out a giggle and Jonathan raised his eyebrow before shaking his head with a half smile.

They were both on either side of the baby and were looking at him as they talked to him about business and topics like that.

They both didn’t bother him too much, always talking about either insignificant topics or those people whom the master recognized, and to get recognition from the master was to get a name.

Just like her, Zaid or Sanya, who were called ‘enhanced minions’... Simple name, but that let it be seen that the young master recognized them to some extent.

—Fine. We will fulfill the golden girl’s request. However, I will be present for the design. You guys have no style.

Monique looked at the purple suit the boy was wearing and then looked at the purple trench coat and pants Donovan was wearing and kept her thoughts to herself.

At least they would have a uniform....

“Good. It will also help when we go on your mission, young master. We don’t know the ones you don’t expect, but the possibility of us facing the Society of Heroes forces is high,” Donovan said in a serious tone.

—Let’s not start with that again. Everyone said the Great Monkey was strong, and it just turned out to be pure muscle.

“And you had a hard time hurting your opponent,” Jonathan replied immediately.

Donovan’s gaze shifted to Jonathan, and that man met it with a serious expression, urging his companion to take the matter solemnly.

The boy simply shook his head as he closed his eyes, as if he could do nothing about the attitude of the person who was always at his side.

—Let’s buy more medicine or use the ones the little monkey had in storage. We will increase our numbers that way. —The master said and looked at Monique. —How long until we get there? It is unnecessary to make plans when we haven’t found out if the person we are looking for knows about the Tower.

This time the voice carried a unique seriousness, and Monique went into a professional mode immediately.

“We are two blocks from the bar, master,” Monique replied as she looked down the street where they were passing.

They were going to a bar that was part of the Great Monkey’s organization and was owned by someone little known in the underworld.

And even though it wasn’t that well known, there were records about the owner frequently interacting with the Great Monkey and that person was who the master was looking for.

“We’ve appointed a group to keep an eye on him and we know he’s still at the bar,” Monique added earnestly.

There were a few individuals who were by the Great Monkey’s side who fled after learning of his fall.

Most believed they would lose their wealth or business and fled, not wanting to meet the new administration, but many others stayed.

Although in the Blue City a change of administration had not happened for several years, in other more dangerous cities it was common and people were used to it.

As long as they respected the new administration, paying the taxes they had to pay, people could continue with their business and the new administration of the master was like that... Or rather, the administration that Donovan and Jonathan applied on behalf of the master was lax.

After crossing the street, Zaid parked the car in front of the ‘Fox’ bar, which was in a far part of downtown in a less busy area during this night.

The residential buildings on the street had a few lights on, on this entire street, the only thing open was the bar with the glowing sign that gave it its name.

Monique got out of the car, extending her senses to detect presence and then opened the back door, allowing Jonathan to get out with the baby stroller and after putting the master in the stroller, they moved.

She followed Donovan walking ahead and Jonathan leading the stroller and as a group; they entered the Fox bar.

This bar was not important or extremely prestigious, it was one of many bars similar to those in the busier part of town and had a traditional decor.

Several wooden tables and chairs scattered around the corner, occupied by a few people sipping their drinks slowly and then at the bar was a thin, pale man serving everything.

Unlike the more futuristic style that some bars used, this one was predominantly wood and leather, reminiscent of older decorations.

“Welcome to Fox’s bar. It’s always open for the new ruler of the underworld,” said the man behind the bar.

He was thin to a level that was close to having a weight problem and was pale as if he had never seen sunlight.

His eyes were deep black, and he had long messy hair that reached his shoulders, also blackish.

The people present, upon hearing who the visitors were, looked at each other and Monique signaled for them to leave and gave them a warning look so they wouldn’t be so stupid as to call the authorities.

All the while watching as the bar owner, Fox looked at Donovan as if he was analyzing him.

—You’re looking at the wrong person.

The boy in the stroller floated out of the baby carriage and in his flight headed for the bar counter and stood in front of the man, at eye level with the bar owner.

Monique positioned herself to the side where she could fire her laser beam and signaled Zaid to stand watch nearby and Sanya, who was at the entrance, to watch outside.

“Oh... I wasn’t expecting that,” replied the man looking at the master and cleaning a pitcher, he asked. “What would you like me to serve you, new boss?”

The calm with which he spoke was strange and not only did Monique notice the strangeness, but Jonathan and Donovan who positioned themselves nearby, ready for battle.

The master raised his hand as if to tell them it was okay and smiled.

—I’d like an orange juice. Natural. —replied the master and observing the man, he added. —And accompany it with everything you know about the Tower.

If the man was about to move before, he stopped when he heard the last words.

The bar bore the man’s name and Monique, though she wanted to recall the reports she read, could find nothing strange.

Fox was the owner of the Fox Bar and the only thing that stood out was that he was involved in several matters related to drugs or illegal drinks... Of any kind.

However, there was nothing else and even his strength was considered low and had no danger level.

But now she realized that perhaps those reports were false or incorrect and she found it made sense to her that the Great Monkey would interact with someone of this type.

“That’s a difficult request to fulfill,” the man replied, setting the pitcher aside and beginning to pour the juice the master had asked for.

—Is that so? You don’t have a brain in that shell you wear, abomination. However, I have encountered beings like you and while their minds are more chaotic; they are not a tough target.

The voice was clear and though it could be taken as a threat; the master made it sound as if he was expressing a fact and that fact caused the man to raise his eyebrow and subtly widen his eyes before chuckling.

“Oh. Even the previous administration couldn’t totally see through me. I’m surprised,” the man said.

—Please, you ask too much of a primate and I’m offended that you would compare me to those apes. —The master said and, crossing his arms, questioned. —So do you want to give me what I am looking for, or will I have to tear your being apart to get what I want?

A simple question that at this point made it clear that he was not beating around the bush and that the master’s purple eyes glowed showed that he was going for it.

Monique also positioned herself, ready to strike, and while she felt she wouldn’t do too much, it was going to be different if the master supported her.

“I am willing to comply with your request, if you comply with my request,” the man said and seeing that the master was listening, he subtly relaxed and explained. “I am a seeker of new flavors and as the big boss, I am sure you will be able to get me what I seek.”

Pausing for a few seconds as if to build anticipation, he smiled.

“Drugs or drinks. Liquid, injectable, spiritual, magical, divine or alien. It doesn’t matter. I’m looking for new flavors and since coming to this plane I’ve been trying everything I don’t know. I’m going through the stage of recreational and non-recreational substances,” explained the man with an excitement that was out of character.

Monique blinked, somewhat surprised that this was the request.

It wasn’t that he had any problem with drugs, but he gave the impression of those powerful individuals who had had enough of the normal pleasures and were looking to try something new.

For better or worse, there were supervillains and even superheroes who had a moment where they were looking for a boost to their lives, and some reached very low points.

This was one of them and this time the master put a hand to his chin and then swung his finger.

From the baby carriage, a bottle floated into the air and flew to the front of the man, who was looking for new stimulation.

—Take just one sip. It’s too addictive and strong. Even for you, abomination. —said the master and noticing Jonathan’s expression trembling, he added. —It’s for the greater good, babysitter.

“Looks to me like you want to get rid of your breakfast,” Jonathan muttered and looking at the master, he pointed. “And I don’t feel it’s the right thing to do, young master.”

The master always called the contents of the bottles as drugs and while it was noticeable that he had a certain distaste for female breasts, Monique guessed it was a physical thing.

A baby needed milk, and it was a physical need that was probably on an instinctual level and to reject such a need was probably difficult... Such an idea was what Monique told herself, not wanting to think too much about her master drinking milk.

Although now she also felt something strange and more so when she thought about the person to whom the milk belonged.

If it was mother’s milk, then... It would be from another world.

The man looked at Jonathan and then at the master, who was giving him a smile full of superiority to drink, and the man took out a small cup and poured from the bottle.

—In one gulp. Don’t think about it too much. —The master urged, and the man obeyed.

He took the cup with the white liquid and drank it in one gulp while lowering his head and banging the cup on the table.

The glass shattered from the impact and the man trembled from head to toe and as Jonathan approached to push the master away; the boy raised his hand and laughed.

—How’s that? —The master asked in a tone full of contempt and some amusement.

“Strong... Damn strong... it’s pure energy... Extraordinarily nourishing and highly energizing... Oh, pure adrenaline.”

The man spoke as he lowered his head, controlling the trembling in his body.

Monique watched as the man’s hair parted and the skull opened and unlike what she expected, no blood came out, but a black substance and then a tentacle.

“AhhhHHHH... It’s strong!”

The man’s voice distorted as he screamed, lifting his head and Monique took a step back as she saw a black-colored tentacle coming out of one eye, writhing in a mixture of excitement and ecstasy.

From the nose also came out a black tentacle and writhing everywhere as if it wanted to spend the energy it had received, and then the man lowered his head again.

The skull wound closed again, and the hair covered his body again, while the trembling subsided again.

“It’s... It’s magnificent. It feels like a natural stimulant. The energy is overwhelming. I’d love to know what supernatural animal you got it from. Some divine animal?” the man asked, giving a smile.

He was giving the appearance of someone who was in control, but that the eye twitched and twitched inside the socket made it clear that he was still suffering from the effects of whatever it was he had been drinking.

Monique had seen many things, but this was at a new level of both strange and unexpected and, for her own sake, she decided to ignore what had happened.

—It’s not divine, but it’s a mammal. Barbaric and aggressive. —The master replied, giving a smile and pointing to the bottle, he added. —Depending on the information, I can leave you the ones I brought. I don’t like to drink it.

“I can imagine. It’s strong and has too much energy for that body of yours. And your body doesn’t look like an empty shell like mine,” replied the man and letting out a laugh, he pointed to the back of the bar. “Come. Let’s go. There’s business to be done.”

Monique got the signal to wait and watched as the master flew to the side of the man, who looked like a normal bartender.

She signaled Zaid and Sanya to return to the guard.

If she followed her master, she would probably encounter even stranger things and her only task was not to analyze or question, but to obey and carry out her master’s orders... Even if it meant witnessing strange things.

 

1