Chapter 53: Fun
34 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 53: Fun

Zack had been watching a lot of cartoons. The reason was that the jailers wouldn’t allow him to watch ‘adult’ television, but for him, it was better to watch cartoons.

Who cared about politics, disasters or world events? Cartoons and documentaries were the most interesting that inferior beings had to offer.

So he understood the idea of supervillains having an island with a skull, though he realized the skull was not a rock carving, but literally a bone skull on which it was built.

“Is it from a giant?” Hope asked, looking out the window on his side.

Zack rubbed his nose through the scent and watched as the hover car moved around the island’s surroundings.

The skull actually started from the top of the mouth and the eyes were the hangars that received the incoming flying cars. This skull was about seven to eight hundred meters high and was immense.

Surrounding it was an island with several buildings, huts and also facilities underground barely perceptible to their senses.

“It doesn’t look like it. It doesn’t have the cranial shape of a giant,” Zack said, and looking closely at the skull, he surmised. “Perhaps some being of great size?”

The skull was enormous, and the owners had occupied it to build the internal facilities, but to him it didn’t belong to a giant and any creature he recognized. So it could be some being from this universe.

“Young master, remember your face,” the babysitter warned him, and Zack simply tapped his cheek twice.

As he looked at himself in the reflection, he saw that his purple eyes were the only thing that remained unchanged. His hair, facial features and any characteristic by which they could recognize him had disappeared.

“Should I do the same?” Hope asked curiously.

“It is not necessary, young miss. The Young master needs to protect his identity because of his parents,” replied the babysitter, giving her a soft smile.

Hope nodded, and she moved back to the window on his side to watch as the car drove into the interior of the skull’s eye socket where the landing zone was.

Unlike the outside, which was all bone, the inside was a large space where cars were parked in different areas and where several armed and ready guards were stationed.

The walls were made of metal and were not only reinforced so as not to be easily destroyed, but also prevented the senses from being fully extended. At least if he didn’t try hard, he probably wouldn’t be able to get through security.

They parked where another hover car had been, which descended to the ground in concealment and allowed them to land on the spot.

A few feet away from the landing section were the messengers who had sent him a message and next to them were another pair of men he looked at curiously.

“Winged humans,” Hope murmured.

They already knew the messengers who had titan blood, but the men they were waiting for did not. These men were similar to the other lesser beings they would see on the city street, except that on their backs they had the wings of eagles.

They were not divine beings, but ‘winged men’ and those men wore jackets and leather pants that fit him quite well, even though he was not as formal as the messengers.

“Welcome Transcendental stronger and...” said the head messenger, looking at him and then at Hope. “And the brightest Transcendental, right?”

The question showed that she had researched both of them, and Hope nodded with a smile to confirm the assumption they had.

He rescued Hope, and it was easy to surmise her identity when she was in her girl form.

“Thank you for accepting my teacher’s invitation,” said the messenger and pointing to the winged man whose expression was solemn, she introduced. “Frederick’s Manager. His master, as well as my mistress, were the ones who chose you to attend this meeting.”

Zack looked back at the ‘manager’, even though he didn’t know who ‘Frederick’ was.

The winged man, even though he had a high fashion sense in Zack’s eyes, was a serious man who kept both his expressions, aura, and mind perfectly controlled. Preventing him from being able to distinguish any emotion.

Short brown hair, well groomed and neat. If he wore a suit, he could become the perfect stereotype of a secretary.

“It’s a pleasure to receive you. I hope you don’t mind that my master cannot welcome you personally. As you can see, there are too many guests for this meeting,” said the winged man and calmly, he pointed. “If you will accompany me, I will guide you to your rooms where you can rest.”

“Of course,” Zack replied, following the group leading him.

The cars kept arriving and among those arriving, some of them were individuals openly releasing their presences. One or the other was a Code Black, and some of them looked at others with utter contempt.

Zack crossed eyes with a half-fish, half-man individual.

He had light blue fins for ears and his face was masculine and haughty, while his skin was a greenish color. Gills were on his cheeks and the man wore jewelry on his naked torso.

“A triton,” Hope muttered, and they both watched as that triton let out a snort as he walked.

The triton did not have a fish tail, but human legs, and from the look of contempt he gave them, he seemed rather proud. Zack disliked it, but restrained himself and followed the messengers.

He was a guest and as such he should show the least respect, as long as his hosts treated him with respect. Of course, everything had its limits, but no one had crossed it yet.

Passing through the halls, they walked for a good stretch until they left him in a room, and Zack smiled when he saw Hope float out onto the balcony. The room was in the free area of the ear, where the balcony was, and from that position, they could see much of the island and the sea in the distance.

“It’s an amazing view,” Hope said, smiling happily.

She was getting carried away with these little things, but the view and the spacious and elegantly furnished room were proof that the hosts were showing respect to them.

“You both have room on either side,” said the messenger and looking at the babysitter and child, she revealed. “Your rooms are just across the way.”

Zack floated through the air across the glass doors and onto the balcony, and from his position, he saw other balconies of different rooms. His room was the most centrally located, allowing a better view between the different rooms.

Esperanza took a deep breath, enjoying the smell of the sea, and he just chuckled softly as he realized her attitude.

“You’re taking it like a vacation,” Zack murmured as he watched her enjoy herself.

“Of course,” she replied and, giving him a gentle nudge, she pointed out. “You should too. Sometimes it’s good to relax and enjoy what the universes present to us.”

Zack looked again at the island in the distance, the beach, the sea and the sun overhead illuminating the island and... He didn’t find it the enjoyment Hope was talking about. If he was talking about views he had seen better, but the company on this one was unique.

It wasn’t so bad in that respect.

“Young master, the messengers have retired. They mentioned that when we rest, we let you know so you can meet with the teacher,” said the babysitter calmly. “And they also commented that if we required more servants to request it.”

Zack swung his hand in a nod and stood beside the brighter transcendental, trying to enjoy the company.

******

Zack followed the ‘manager’ and the messenger down the hallway on one of the lower floors of this skull.

The entire inner building of the skull had reinforced metal walls that prevented the senses from spreading. The walls had different types of barriers and mostly they were magical and technological.

Perhaps if he tried hard, he could get through the security, but Zack didn’t want to cause trouble for his hosts, so he patiently followed the two individuals guiding him.

Hope didn’t accompany him partly because she wanted to get her room settled and because the invitation was for him and not her, so she didn’t want to intervene, though he didn’t mind.

“You may come in. Inside, they are waiting for you,” said the manager, opening the door.

He walked in first, noticing the spacious room waiting for him, and saw the couches, the beers and other alcoholic beverages and then to the side the musical instruments in which most of them were different guitars.

The music was playing softly over the speakers and Zack, noticing the door closed, floated over to the guitars being displayed on the wall.

“Do you like music?”

A voice rang out, and Zack turned to see the man was speaking to him.

The man was tall, around two meters, and wore a black leather jacket covering his shoulders, but he wasn’t wearing it and was leaving his muscular torso bare.

The scruffy beard and long hair gave him the appearance of a wild man and the man with his glasses revealed a smile as he realized he was staring.

“You don’t know who I am, do you?” The man asked, as if realizing the reason why he was looking at him and holding up his hand to stop him from answering. He pointed. “I’m Frederick. Nice to meet you.”

The man walked over and shook his hand, showing several tattoos on his arm and torso. The tattoos had no power, nor did they stand out in any way. They were simply personal tattoos that were not related to any kind of force.

“Zack, the strongest transcendental of all,” Zack replied, shaking his hand in greeting, and when the man laughed, he frowned.

“Oh, it’s nothing bad. I just wasn’t expecting someone with the stature of a child. No offense, but rumors spoke of a gigantic figure who could crack open reality itself. You know, smash giant monkeys and throw black codes into the sun,” said the man honestly.

The man’s voice was kind and honest, not hiding any negative feelings or contempt. He was simply curious about what he had heard.

“Rumors don’t exaggerate,” Zack replied as he was guided through the halls and looking at the walls with pictures in different stadiums and bars where the man played, he commented. “Unfortunately, I haven’t heard rumors about you.”

The man was a musician. Pictures in pictures showed him playing the guitar and some of those pictures were holographic and the sound of the guitar could be heard along with the voice.

“You didn’t answer me,” said the musician and, looking at him, he asked again. “Do you like music?”

“I haven’t really thought about whether I like it,” Zack replied, and realizing that the musician was looking at him blankly, he clarified. “It depends on what universe we’re talking about. The styles are so varied and diverse that it’s impossible for me to decide if I like the music as a whole.”

He wasn’t a music listener, and it wasn’t that he didn’t like it, it was just that some styles he didn’t find enjoyable. He had traveled to universes where races had such a strange linguistic system that listening to their voices sounded like mindless shrieking to him.

Even if he learned the language, sometimes the music simply seemed like a meaningless noise to him.

“A strange way to respond for a being that looks like a human,” said the musician, opening the door for him to enter.

“Looks can be deceiving,” Zack replied and calmly, as he saw the interior of the room waiting for him, he added. “I am not a inferior being of this universe.”

Zack saw the man raise an eyebrow in surprise at his very honest answer and then turned to the woman waiting for him sitting inside the room.

Unlike the hallway and the front room, which was a personal and informal room, here it gave the appearance of being a private office. Two chairs together, a table in the middle and then a lone chair at the front.

The person waiting sitting in one of the two chairs activated the room security as they entered and Zack looked at the woman.

A woman of short stature, around one meter sixty. White skin and long snow white hair with two braids that fell to her waist. The clothing was tight to the body, showing the taut muscles behind and the sculpted physique of a warrior.

The eyes were ice blue, as were the blue painted lips. The face was round and her nose was small, giving the youthful and weak appearance, which disappeared when one saw the woman’s physique and the icy look she gave.

“Greetings, daughter of titans,” Zack said in the ancient language he remembered.

The ancient language of the titans produced ice in the surroundings and led to the musician frowning at the difficulty and intricacy of the language without understanding it.

Some languages endured in various universes and had power of their own. The ancient dialect of the titans and the dialect of the dragons of old maintained their power despite the countless years that had passed since their heyday and the remoteness of the original universe from which they were born.

“Greetings, visitor from afar,” replied the titanic woman and, frowning as if trying to remember the language, she asked. “My native tongue is scarce.”

The way she spoke did not have the tone it should have, and the words did not seem correct, as if the person speaking barely knew the basics. It was to the point that it had no effect on the surroundings.

“A half-breed, I suppose,” Zack said as he walked forward and, noticing that the cold was increasing, he simply sat in the chair as he grew it to be at table height.

The Musician frowned as he heard him sit down next to the small Titanid and then gave him a glare.

“Such a term is impolite,” Musician pointed out with a serious expression.

“Is it?” Zack asked, and when the Musician nodded calmly, he commented. “My apologies.”

To him, it wasn’t wrong to apologize for a mistake to his hosts, though it was a fact that the little Titanid was a half-breed. She had blood from an original titan, but it was mixed with the blood of another race.

The Little Titanid looked sideways at the Musician as if she was asking what he thought of him. Did she think he was looking down on her? Zack simply kept his cool and saw the Titanid sigh at last.

“I’ll let it go, since you know my native tongue,” said the Little Titanid, looking magnanimous and showing a serious expression, she revealed. “I am Aida the Ice Mistress and next to me is Frederick the Guitarist and the two of us have been the ones who have chosen you to participate in this meeting.”

The Little Titanid, seeing that he showed no thanks or any reaction, frowned and continued.

“To join the Circle of Supervillains, you need the vote of four of the eight members. Which means that even if we support you, you need to get the other two votes and go through the various procedures to become one of us. At this meeting, only one will get in,” said the Little Titanid and ignoring him, she explained. “Being part of the Supervillain Circle means prestige and...”

“A test?” Interrupted Zack revealing a smile full of contempt.

He in accepting the invitation had imagined something more straightforward, but apparently they took it as some sort of participant wishing to join this group he barely knew about.

“So I have to compete with other individuals to ‘win’ the position you guys are talking about?” Zack asked, looking at both of them.

“The benefits are...”

The Little Titanid began to talk about profits as if the influence, prestige or opportunities this group had mattered to him. The reality was that he was not interested in business or wealth.

Less trying to gain the prestige or respect of inferior beings of this world let alone gain the awe he could so easily get by other means, but the Little Titanid seemed honest with her desire to want to sell him on this position as something great and important.

“In the end, joining will be beneficial to the organization you lead,” finished the Little Titanid and looked at him as if expecting surprise or at least greed on his part.

Zack remained silent, not meaning to say that he pretty much ignored what she had been talking about benefits.

“I think you’re aiming for the wrong side, Aida,” said the Musician, realizing that the Titanid was annoyed at his lack of repartee. “Tell me the reason you came, Transcendental.”

The Musician realized that he was not interested in profit and also had no interest in territories, controlling cities, leading businesses or creating a force.

The reason he came was simple....

“I was bored and came for fun,” Zack replied and saw the Little Titanid put her hand to her face as if she couldn’t stand it. he growled. “I guess it wasn’t what you guys were expecting. I’m not interested in your petty, childish game of interests and politics.”

He didn’t like Little Titanid’s reaction, so he was honest with how this conversation was going for him.

The members of this group of supervillains were looking out for their own interests and probably profits for their organizations and businesses. Divisions among the members of the group were probably normal and if what the Little Titanid told him was true, then others were here for this position and for backup they had other members.

For her to talk about profits was to lure and seduce him with wealth and benefits that seemed insignificant to him.

The Musician stopped the Little Titanid who was about to respond and he smiled at him.

“Exactly. We have been eight members for several years and now it has been decided to welcome a new member and only those who have been recommended by one of the eight members enter,” The Musician said and looking at him, detailed. “We have heard that you control the Blue City. A dangerous city and one that is difficult to maintain control of and we have also heard that you not only defeated the City Sun and the Great Monkey, but that you have powerful individuals on your side. You have strength, wealth and although new, you have made a reputation for yourself. We want you by our side.”

Zack smiled to hear that they had investigated him and while he saw no accomplishment in defeating the Great Monkey or the City Sun, he supposed that doing nature’s work with the former gave him a certain reputation.

“You’ve come for fun, and that’s fine with me. In the evening, there will be a party. Join in and have fun. Enjoy the music, enjoy the food and get to know the other members,” said the musician calmly, and looking at him, he smiled. “If you are interested in joining, we will help you get the two votes you need and if you are not interested, but think you can be convinced, then say so and we will see how we can convince you.”

The man was sincere, and instead of pushing the supposed benefits, he was approachable. If he liked it, then they would help him and if he didn’t, but still wanted to gain a couple of favors or get other benefits, he could talk it out.

Zack nodded and, as they had nothing more to say, they said their goodbyes and he, on his way out, was guided back by the manager and after walking and up the elevator, back to his room.

As he entered his room, Hope was waiting for him and she approached him, looking at him curiously.

“How did it go?” Hope asked.

“Fine. I guess,” Zack replied, and seeing that she was still looking at him, he pointed. “They gave me permission to have fun.”

He wasn’t struck by the benefits the Little Titanid was talking about, but he was attracted to the idea of the Musician. He didn’t know this place, or the supervillains or the members of this circle, and since he wasn’t interested in the benefits, it was the fun that mattered.

As long as he was having fun, he didn’t mind calling himself a Supervillain or being in this group.

Of course, it all depended on his mood and fun.

 

2