Chapter 2: Freid banana or happiness
744 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The book was enlightening, and, after Leander placed it back on the shelf, he had a game plan. The book had stressed the habit theory and explained it in detail.

The theory stated that, habits were what made up the creatures in the world. Everyone had a routine, during which they put little or no thought in their actions.

So, if Leander added the thirty minutes of running in place every day to his routine for three weeks, then he would stick to it for life. It sounded too good to be true.

Leander had stopped doing things he found not interesting, even after the three-week mark. But the rewards that the book had suggested were enticing.

 The cheat day, when he could indulge in a fried banana or a cup of hot chocolate, knowing full well that he was going to burn them the next day, was something he was already looking forward to.

He went to the medical section of the library and took out a paramedic textbook off the shelf. Sure, he knew how to close wounds with mana, and he was quick about it, too. But, sometimes, people couldn't be treated with mana.

He had read many books on how to bandage someone, give them injections without putting air in their veins, and how to even place limbs in casts. But, today, he was interested in searching for information about what he could do if someone had nearly drowned.

Sure, as he was now, he wouldn't be able to pull them out of the pit or moat they fell in, more so if they were in full plate or even leather with weapons strapped to them.

But parties never consisted of just two people. He was sure that the third or fourth person would dive and pull the fallen member out. And then it would be up to Leander, as the healer, to step in.

Information about saving someone from drowning started with how to pull them out of the water without them being able to drag their rescuer down with them.

Leander read it dutifully. He allowed himself to dream that, one day, he would be fit enough to pull people out by himself. Then that was followed by twenty pages worth of pictures about hearth massages, mouth-to-mouth, and mana forceful start-up of the heart and lungs.

Feeling like he had learned a lot, Leander placed the book back on the shelf. And went to the practice section of the library and went to the nearest doll.

It was in a tub of water, face down, and the mana through the see-through fabric was a purple color. Leander pulled the doll out and began first with the mouth-to-mouth.

The mana turned a couple of shades closer to pink, and he began with the heart massage and the slow mana circulation of mana. He found it hard to concentrate his mana into a beating pattern around the heart. But managed.

The mana in the doll turned a bright red color when Leander did another mouth-to-mouth and gave the lungs a quick mana jolt. The doll spat out some water, and Leander returned it back in the tub. Again, face down so that it was ready for the next person.

Then, he went to another doll, this one missing a hand that had some bone sticking out of it, cut unevenly. Leander took a marker and made a dotted line around the place he was going to cut along. Then, he got to work.

He knew that, no matter how much practice he had on fish and dolls,  he was inexperienced. Until he got a party that was willing to get him to something like a slime or fungi dungeon, he would remain like that.

By the time, he was done practicing the most commonly used interventions, the librarian was giving him the evil eye. He hadn't even noticed her come in the practicing room.

"Is it closing time?" Leander was just stitching some fabric to keep up his finger dexterity, when he saw the librarian.

"Yes, half an hour ago. I nearly locked you inside," Leander blushed and stood up, leaving his half-finished stitches on the table. He left the library and went back to the inn. He got in his bed and closed his eyes.

The next morning, after he washed up and ate a plate filled with eggs and sausages, instead of his usual breakfast of fried bacon, he headed to the Adventurer's Guild. Hoping beyond hope that someone had picked him for their party, despite his rank and picture.

When he came to the ledger, his name was the only one still left on it. He bent his head low, suddenly having the strong urge to eat a fried banana.

Then, he looked up and slapped himself.

Fried banana or happiness?

He asked himself and then marched back to the faucet with the poster to begin his thirty-minute fat burning, muscle building, session. This time, he took a sand clock with him and watched as each grain fell down.

After he was done, he went to the library again. This time picking up a book about marathon running. Because, Leander did not kid himself. He would need to run a lot, once he got picked for a party.

Horses were expensive and, until the average adventurer became rank A or higher, they didn't make that much money.

After he was done with the book, he went back to the Adventurer's Guild. He went to the front desk and looked at the half-orc receptionist.

"Hello, I would like to go out for a quest. My rank is F," the bored man snorted, but then noted the slightly ruffled hair and the wrinkled clothes and decided that, if this adventurer could get his hands dirty, then there was hope for him yet.

"Here. A hamster ran away from home. They have a sewer next to their house. Look for it there," Leander took the mission scroll and held it like it was precious treasure.

Sure, it was not a dungeon delving. Or even rescuing a princess. But it was his first mission. And he needed to prepare. But, quickly. Before the hamster drowned in the sewer waste.

22