Chapter 10: Haggling
413 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guild had none of their excuses and had taken the gem pile for themselves. They hadn't, fortunately, laid a hand on their coin pouches. Before they could squander the money, the two of them spent them on what was most important.

Morris sent his uncle all that he owed him for the grade seven axe, happy that he was no longer indebted to the man. Then, he prepaid for his room at the inn for the next two months and set aside some for new fighting lessons and for food.

Leander prepaid his room too, but only for a month. He sent some money to his mother, not that she had needed it. And set the rest aside for food and potions.

Had they had a mana replenishing potion on hand, Leander wouldn't have collapsed. The two met up at their usual spot, by the weight loss poster, and piled the money that they had left. 

"We will have enough for only a single bottomless bag," Leander said after they had been done counting. He had more money left over than Morris. But that was only because Morris had paid for Leander's hospital stay. Which still irked the blonde.

"Which is better than what we have now," Morris grinned and began putting the money back inside the pouch. "To think, our second mission netted us a bottomless bag."

Leander knew of parties who strived an entire year without so much as buying an extended pouch, much less a bag. This was quite the achievement.

"Come on, we need to get to the guildhall before it closes," Morris stood and Leander followed. Their clothes had gotten too dirty for them to get out in the public.

Morris could get another uniform easily, it was covered in his guild membership. But Leander had to make do with shorts and a t-shirt. The blazing heat of the sun too much for him to consider anything else.

They made it to the guildhall just as many people were getting out of it.

"Did you hear? There are gems in the sewer!"

"Do you think that there is another easy, but rich, dungeon down there?"

"The slime farming grounds is a good grinding spot. We are even allowed to be paid for collecting the gems!"

The two adventurers watched as their colleagues walked in the direction of the sewer grate from which they had gotten out of. Morris shook his head.

"Look at them. They didn't even want to clear the place. Knowing full well that it could have been dangerous. But now, that there is money involved, they are flocking to the dungeon grounds," Leander didn't approve, either. Sure, he hadn't been excited about the hamster turned slime dungeon either, in the beginning. But he had done his duty.

They entered the guildhall and made a beeline for the item shop. There was a single bottomless bag there, and it was calling to them.

"I won't sell any bottomless bags on credit," snapped the cashier.

"We have money," Morris waved the coin pouch and placed it on the counter. "But are your bags as good as advertised?"

"Morris..." Leander didn't want for the price to rise on them because Morris tried to haggle.

"What do you mean, as good as advertised? Are you implying that the goods that the adventurers' guild is offering, are not up to standard?" For some reason, the cashier looked worried.

"Then, you wouldn't mind if Leander over there gets inside the bag with me? To see if it is indeed bottomless?" A bead of sweat ran down the cashier's brow.

"How are you going to get inside?" Snapped the cashier. Morris took the bag and placed a hand inside.

"Hm, I think I can feel the bottom. Are you trying to sell me counterfeits?" The cashier extended a hand towards Morris, and the axe warrior handed her the bag. She placed a hand inside and paled.

"Oh, not again. Who keeps buying from that quack!" Morris chuckled. He had known the bag was not genuine when he saw it.

"We must report it," Leander was seriously considering filing a Formular S for bad services. Maybe even SS for fraud.

"Now, don't be like that. Look, the guild can't take a hit like that. If you keep quiet, I'll let you have something from this stand," she pointed at a stand with knickknacks and the two went to browse.

"These are all junks," Morris said, amused that he was being bribed to forget about junk with more junk.

"A water filtering system!" Leander pulled out the cylinder from the rack and turned it around in his hand. "These are dead useful."

Then, he leaned in and whispered into Morris's ear.

"And normally cost an arm and a leg. I think the cashier misplaced it," but, Morris had another idea.

"Give it here," Lender handed the cylinder and Morris tested it for mana circulation and even flipped it so that he could see the mark on the bottom. It was there and it looked genuine. "I guess we will know once we try it out with some water. Are you set on this?"

Leander nodded, eyes sparkling. Sure, water was treated in most settlements. But, out in the wild, that was not the case. They would save themselves numerous stomachaches by taking the water filtering system.

Morris carried the cylinder to the cash register and the cashier paled even more, which convinced him that he was holding a water filtering system.

"That was misplaced. You can take anything but that," Morris grinned at the cashier's words.

"I don't know how much this trinket cost," Morris casually waved the expensive mana-powered cylinder around, much to the cashier's unease.  "But I know that an SS fraud form can see the guild with fewer jobs."

"You will lose your membership!" Threatened the cashier, Morris shrugged.

"I have a successful dungeon delving to my name and a B rank. Plus, I party with a healer. I won't be jobless for long," with a whine, the cashier extended her hand to take and package what was the second most expensive item in the store.

Before the two left, Morris turned back to the cashier.

"Say, who made the fake bag?" The cashier got an evil glint in her eyes, thinking that the adventurers were going to take out their displeasure about not getting bottomless bags out on the quack.

"The enchanter, Dorian Serty," and because she really wanted to stop finding fake bags in her store, she added. "You can find him on Fawn Boulevard. He has a stall there."

20