Chapter 29: Samkiel’s tomb
292 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samkiel's tomb had been the resting place of Lord Samkiel Klorfiel, the third duke of Huergaz. Before people robbed it and the Klorfiel family took his remains and cremating them, scattering them over the sea the duke had adored so in life.

Now, there were overcast clouds over the tomb, which was as big as an arena and had secret tunnels under it, and there were shadows lurking at every corner.

But they were cast by no animal, person, or plant. They were hooded humanoids who had claws as sharp as a dragon's and rotting teeth. The bite of which put the poor sod that received it into a coma.

There was a battle line drawn before the tomb, and five light mages were doing their best to purify the perimeter. But the shadows crept ever closer, and more than once a party had to be sent to seal a breach made when a mage took a break.

That was the situation the twelve members of platoon 23 found.

"It doesn't seem like we are winning," Florifel murmured, eyes staring wildly at the battles that were being fought over the dim golden light that the light mages were trying to keep in place.

"How did a D rank dungeon put us in the defensive? Huergaz's adventurer's guild is the best in Alcandino!" Damian murmured, and he received uneasy looks from his fellow platoon members.

"It doesn't matter. We can't join the defense," Alektos spoke, his voice full of authority. "If we do, they will put Leander to work behind the trenches, and we will be left locked in a standstill."

"Are you saying that I should leave the wounded?" Leander snapped. This was heartless of Alektos and, if he was suggesting to do so just for a shot of glory, then Leander was not going to listen.

"There are other healers working on the wounded. More experienced ones," Alektos countered. He knew that it was normal for a newbie to see only what was before him. But if Leander wanted to be an adventurer, he had to learn to see the big picture. The adventurer's life made short work of short-sighted people.

"What is the game plan?" Morris asked. Leander looked at him as if he were seeing him for the first time, and Morris shrugged. "Leander, look at them."

Leander turned to look at the screaming adventurers who were giving it their all.

"We should help them," Leander insisted. Was this not the reason why they were sent here in the first place?

"And we will," Aros assured him. "By going behind enemy lines and entering the tomb."

"They can hold the line and make sure that nothing can reach the surrounding farms," Lilia placed a hand over Leander's shoulder and gave him a gentle squeeze. "Believe in them."

Leander bowed his head. He was outvoted, it seems. He couldn't break off the platoon to go to the sickbeds. Not only that, but he couldn't leave Morris and Dorian to fate's fickle judgement.

"So, we go in," Leander gulped at Sorecal's words. "And we find the core. We smash it, and we go home, leaving the cleanup to the A rank parties?"

Alektos nodded. Morris placed his hand in the air, and Leander and Dorian placed theirs over his.

"Isn't this adorable? They have a ritual," Florifel said with a snicker. Morris glared at her.

"We are going in a place that is giving trouble to A rank parties. A place where an S rank archer went missing. Either join in the ritual or keep your trap shut," Florifel sighed and placed her hand over Dorian's. Eleven more hands joined in the group huddle and as one, they raised them in the air.

Alektos then took point and raised three fingers in the air again. The platoon got in formation, and they marched out from the light barrier and into the killing field.

They must have not made even five steps in, when three shadows approached them.  Alberta and Lilia went to the front, covered by the tanks, and they did a joined water-wind attack that froze the shadows in place. Leander took off his bow from his back, and did three arrow barrages back to back, aimed at the three shadows.

The black mist, from which the shadows were made from, thinned somewhat, and the two rogues, Aros and Sorecal, moved like wild cats and their daggers were the only thing to be seen as they cut up the heads of the shadows.

The three shadows disappeared, and Alektos raised two fingers and waved his hand two times. They all took off running, not bothering to engage any of the shadows that got in their way. Leander's barrier keeping them safe.

The trek between the light barrier and the entrance of the tomb was short, and the barrier looked just a bit broken when they entered. Alektos took a barrier stone and placed it on the floor. It sunk into the stone floor, and a barrier sprang at the entrance. Shadows began smashing themselves at the barrier, but it wasn't even cracking.

"This buys us three days," Alektos informed the rest. They saw something small down a hallway. It looked like a big praying mantis.

"You got to be kidding me," Aros clutched his dagger tighter. Another mantis appeared at the entrance of the hallway and his fears were confirmed.

"They are going to swarm us," Alektos said, his voice sturdy like stone. "And we will get beaten up. But, you know what? Our priority is Leander's wellbeing. If he gets too hurt to heal us, we are all going to die. So, take a turtle formation and prepare."

It was almost like this was what the mantis had been waiting for because they all charged. Leander folded the barrier around himself, strengthening it, but denying its protection to the platoon.

He began to fire a barrage after a barrage as everyone fought. But the mantis seemed without end.

Finally, Leander looked up the ceiling, noticing a lit chandelier. He fired an arrow at the chain that was holding it, and it fell. Alberta fanned the fire with a wind spell, and they now had a wall of fire between themselves and the shadows. Being as locked in a standstill as the people outside the tomb.

18