Chapter 42: The date that is not a date
312 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leander and Armaros couldn't be more different if they tried, Jean decided. They were both on the opposite spectrum of one another in coloring, weight and behavior.

But, they were now both gazing out of the lift with wonder and sitting next to each other.  And, they both gave out that cute baby animal vibe that made him want to stand up from his place and go sit by them.

He tried to do just that, but Morris and Dorian each placed a hand on his shoulder and forced him to remain on their side of the lift.  So, Jean decided to change tactics. Confuse the enemy, so to speak.

"So, Armaros, I heard Baleg took you on as an apprentice?" Jean gave the doe eyed youth a dazzling smile, which made the boy blink. Armaros tore his eyes off the scenery and locked them with Jean's.

"Yes. He is the best, despite not having that much time for me," Armaros informed him and Jean nodded. Glad that the boy was content.

"You know, after you take your mage-archer exam, we might take you on as our fifth member," Dorian spoke, giving a reassuring smile to Armaros. The raven-haired dungeon core turned to look at him, his face lightened by a smile.

"That would be in a month," Armaros told them, giddy at the prospect of exploring the world with his friends. "So, keep the spot for me because I will take the test with flying colors."

"We don't doubt that," Leander was staring at the ground, which went ever further away from the lift. "A better mage-archer we can't ask for. Say, what spells do you know?"

"I invented the fireball barrage," at that, both Jean and Leander turned to Armaros. Neither had heard of a fireball barrage.

"What is that?" Morris asked, just as curious.

"Well, I focus my fire mana at a single arrow, fire it, and then it splits into smaller fireballs. My spell got included into the archer's handbook that is given for free. Or so Baleg told me," Armaros looked proud at that, and he had a right to. For, despite not knowing it, new spells were invented once in a blue moon.

"Do you have some time to teach me?" Leander asked. That spells sounded dead useful.

"Me as well," sure, Jean knew a lot of archery spells. The one he liked most was the mamba strike. But he could use a fireball spell.

"I'll trade you for spells," Baleg had told Armaros that he should never teach for free. Because, people did not value what they got for free. And, they soon forgot it.

"Deal, I'll teach you the mamba strike,” Jean offered. He noticed that Leander looked flustered.

"I only have my modified arrow barrage, when it comes to archery spells. It can paralyze people," Jean's eyes snapped to Leander. That technique would have been dead useful in Samkiel's tomb.

"I'll teach you the mamba strike, too. In exchange for the paralyzing arrow barrage," Leander smiled at that, glad that he would be getting a new move.

"Well, I thought we were here to relax," Dorian said, looking bored out of the lift.

"Hey, what is that?" Morris pointed at a big estate on a lone hill.

"The Klorfiel palace," Jean supplied. "They let tourists in during the summer months. But not in the family wing. That one is haunted."

"Haunted?" Armaros looked at the wonderful ivory estate and then back at Jean. "Haunted by what?"

"The ghost of Samkiel," Jean said with a grave face. "It is said that people disappear from the family wing, if they are not from Samkiel's family."

"Do you mean to tell me that the Klorfiel family doesn't use servants?" Morris looked disbelieving. He had never heard of nobles who didn't use servants.

"They make their own beds, cook their own meals. Honestly, they are the less snotty clients in the entire Huergaz," Jean commented and everyone nodded as one.

The lift stopped and they got off. There was a platform in the first duke's hat and there were a couple of couples already there. Gazing out of the far glasses.

"Wow," Armaros said, as he took in Huergaz from all sides. He could make out the beige buildings of the market district. The tall black building in which the adventurer's guild operated. Even the residential streets, where the inn in which he stayed with Leander was.

Leander too looked dazed. Jean went between the two gawkers and placed his arms around their shoulders, throwing Morris and Dorian a smirk behind his back.

"Come on, I think I see a free far glass," Jean led them to the only free far glass in the entire platform, with Morris and Dorian trailing behind and giving him dirty looks.

When they reached it, someone rushed to the far glass and took it.

"Excuse me, did you not see us coming this way?" Jean snapped at the man, who looked at him from behind the far glass.

"Oh, adventurers. Good, I have a quest for you. You see, my wife is cheating on me and," Morris burst out laughing and the man lowered the far glass to glare at him. "Let me finish, berserker. She is cheating on me and not inviting me to join in on the fun. I can't stand for it. I mean, I cheat too. But I always invite her!"

"Yes, she is the devil," Morris said. This man's situation sounded an awful lot like what he and Dorian wanted with Leander and Armaros.

"I know, right? You are to tell her that I am going to jump off the statue! Quick, she is over there," the man pointed at a bored woman in a stylish black dress and went to the edge of the platform. "Goodbye, cruel world! Goodbye, cruel wife!"

Dorian tackled the insane man to the ground, and they all gaped at them both.

"What are you, insane? You could have fallen!" Snapped the tank and the woman finally paid them attention.

"Let him jump. That way, I won't have to listen to him accuse me of cheating," she called from her spot, looking amused.

"You have a hard body, young man," moaned the insane man, and Dorian leapt off him with a start. The woman made her way to them, and she took her husband by the ear and shook him.

"Why do you always do this? Why do you like being tackled to the ground by men? Honestly, why did I marry you?" They left back to the corner from which the woman had come. Jean picked up the far glass with a shrug and handed it to Armaros. He looked to be having a first-time experience at such highs. He should get the first look at Huergaz from up above.

14