Chapter 48: Coming clean
191 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alklair watched as the Naga and the goblin shifted uneasily. They were mobs, yet, the Try Hard Party was petitioning for them to enter the guild's protection.

"I suppose the guild has an empty farm house that we were looking to get someone to take care of," the guild master mused. He had pity for the two creatures, he did. But, he couldn't promise them safety for nothing. "Do either of you know anything about farming?"

"Bog can learn," the goblin spoke, enthusiastic but reserved. "Bog was in charge of the mushroom patch in the dungeon."

"I am certain that farming and herb growing are not too different," Atha, the Naga, spoke.

"It is decided, then. You will move in the farm house and be responsible for the field connected to it. And, to make sure that you two don't get into trouble, the Try Hard Party will move in with you," Alklair chanced a look at the four, who were standing at attention.

"Permission to speak?" Dorian asked and Alklair nodded.

"Granted," Dorian looked conflicted. And so did the rest of his partners.

"Wouldn't us going outside Huergaz make life harder for us? I mean, we won't be able to go to the guildhall when we want," Alklair nodded at the two creatures.

"Do you mean to tell me you would leave them by themselves outside of Huergaz's walls? Dorian, that is just like leaving them to get abducted," at that, both the Naga and the goblin shuddered. Their eyes looked haunted, and Alklair regretted his wording.

"I... didn’t think about that. Could we also get Armaros to move in with us? He is attached to Leander," Dorian pleaded. Ah, yes. The hamster dungeon core. Alklair had nearly forgotten about him.

"You three are hiding something from me, or, trying to, that I will give you the chance to come clean about. Note that I have kicked people out of the guild for less than lying to me," Jean looked ready to argue. He had not known about Armaros until that faithful slip up a couple of days ago. But, he didn't want to throw his partners under the wagon, so, he kept silent.

"He was just skin and bones when we saw him the first time," Leander spoke, head bowed. He still remembered the ghastly sight of the dungeon core. He had no idea if the core had not been able to create a healthier body. Or if he had been that skinny because of the exploitation in the labs.

"And he is harmless," Leander continued, voice pleading. "The most dangerous thing he has ever created is a hamster named Fluffs that knows how to dodge."

"As a dungeon core, he might be harmless," Alklair agreed. Sure, the hamster core had created some things that could be considered dangerous. There had been a couple of chimeras in his files. But, they had not been violent. Their fate ending with them being used for meat.

"But as an adventurer, he is formidable. He has created three new spells. The ingenuity of a dungeon core is really something to be admired," Alklair commented. "Armaros has been presumed destroyed. I don't see why we should change that."

The four turned to one another, with bright smiles on their faces.

"But, next time you four pull such a stunt, you will be sent packing for the heart of the world," Alklair warned and the four wilted.

"We won't go behind your back again, sir," Dorian promised. If they ever saw someone like Armaros, who needed help desperately, then, they will come clean about it to the guild master and hope for the best.

"Well, I think that is all. Baleg will give you a map to the house. Tell Armaros that he could turn the property into a dungeon. But, that he must lose the dungeon ground lines. Least the guild gets a quest by a busybody farmer who wants more land," Alklair turned his back to the six and walked back to the guild hall. He heard whoops of joy and shook his head.

There were times when he forgot how young the average adventurer was. Most didn't live to retire. Other retired crippled and bitter. He had vowed to change that, long ago. But Asmodeos had warped his vision into vile poison.

Atha and Bog got strange looks, as they were creatures. But the Try Hard Party had them in the middle of their formation, and they quickly found Armaros in the training hall.

As soon as Armaros saw Atha, he got stars in his eyes.

"That is a..." Atha began, backing away from the raven haired boy. Armaros jogged to him and took one of his hands in both of his.

"I have a crucial question for you. Would you like to have a child with me? A drop of your blood is all I need," Armaros began to prat off about how beautiful their child would be. How nice and lovable.  With every word, Atha grew even more pale.

"Armaros, come over here," Dorian spoke sternly. Armaros tilted his head back, then nodded and went to his friends.

"Armaros, Atha has been through a lot. He has been raped, and..." Dorian began and Armaros gasped.

"Who would do such a thing?" The dungeon core's eyes widened. He had thought that this was something that never happened anymore.

"A tribe of goblins. But Bog is good. He was the only one who tried to show Atha kindness. So, don't judge him harshly," Dorian continued, adding the last part once Armaros's eyes narrowed. The dungeon core bit his lower lip and sighed.

"That means he would get scared if I endeavor to have a baby with him, right?" Armaros asked. Jean clapped him on the shoulder.

"Babies are to be born to people who love one another, Armaros. Not just because you think their parent has good traits. Honestly, you should stop trying to get people to have children with you," Jean had brushed it off, the first time Armaros had asked him.

It was impossible for two men to have children, after all. But now, with the knowledge of Armaros's status as a dungeon core, Jean knew that the raven-haired man could indeed create children from a drop of blood. And the thought was scary.

"I will give him his space," it didn't slip past the four that Armaros had not said he will quit asking. They all sighed as one. Well, Atha would just have to say no every time. They were certain that Armaros would stop asking after he gave his arguments. Just like he did with them.

10