Chapter 59: Trouble with the neighbors
153 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dorian ran after the dog, his hand wet with soap water. The cretin had bitten him, and he had been too shocked to stop it from running. The dog was making a mess of the house. Leaving wet paw prints everywhere.

"Come back here or..." Dorian stopped speaking when a woman looked over her hedge to glare at him. "I'll snuggle you?"

The woman huffed and went back to minding her own business. Once Dorian finally caught the dog, he put a muzzle on it and carried it to the washing basin.

"Look, I don't want to wash you, either. But my party got tricked by three hags into doing their quota for them," the dog glared at him and brought its paw down on Dorian's arm. Leaving a scratch. Dorian raised his hand and was just about to hit the dog, when he heard a gasp.

It was the same woman as before. Dorian smiled and then proceeded to pet the dog. She waved her finger at him and then pointed at her eyes.

"Yes, you are a harpy. I got it," Dorian murmured under his nose and deposited the resisting dog back into the washing basin. But, before he could place it in the water, the dog placed its paws at the edge of the basin and refused to be lowered in the warm water.

"You listen to me, you flea bag. I don't care if the old hag is watching. I will tug at your ear until you whine if you don't..." Dorian's rant was broken by the dog taking a dump in the water basin. "Oh, for fuck's sake!"

Dorian let go of the dog, and it ran off to hide. The tank looked down at the now stinking water basin and sighed.

"You'd think that, with us being C rank now, such quests would be beneath us. And you would be right. But, no. We had to be tricked," Dorian picked up the basin and headed to the toilet to empty it. He did not care if the owner of the flea bag had anything against dog poop being flushed down his toilet. He should have trained his damn dog.

"Talking to yourself is a sign of madness!" Screamed the old lady who had watched him like a hawk.

"Madam, I was talking to you," Dorian lied, and he entered the house.

Dorian missed his partners. Morris would surely befriend the hellhound. He had befriended Fluffs, and the hamster disliked them in the beginning. Well, it still didn't like them. But it let Morris pet it.

Leander would surely know a spell to keep the dog from biting him. Like slime to the mouth. Dorian chuckled at the image of the dog with its mouth sealed shut. It had bitten him, scratched him, peed on him and, finally, done its job in the water basin.

Honestly, if Dorian was not sure that the quest would have been marked as failed, he would have washed the darn thing in the filthy water. No matter how bad he would have felt about having his hands in such water.

Jean would have had no luck with the dog, either. Maybe he would have yelled at it. Not beaten it because Jean was not such a person. Lightly spank it, like how Dorian had tried to do. But not hit the dog.

Armaros would have communicated with the dog, using his dungeon core powers, and he would have gotten it to sit still.  The raven-haired boy would have been a perfect fit for this quest.

Dorian was broken out of his musings by whining. His eyes softened. He liked animals, he did. But this one was too wild by far.

"You don't like the muzzle?" Dorian began, not looking into the corner where the dog was hiding. "Well, I don't like to be bitten."

The dog whined again. Dorian continued to the toilet. Once he reached his destination, he noticed that he was being followed. Dorian emptied the water and flushed the toilet. There was a pleasant smell of one freshener or another, and the dog whined again.

"What, did someone try to drown you while you were little, or something?" Dorian asked, looking at the dog for any signs of what he had said. "Do you...want to take a bath together? To show you that there is nothing to be afraid of?"

The dog tilted its head. Dorian felt silly. He was not Armaros. Animals could understand him as well as he- them. That is to say: not at all.

"I am so getting in trouble for this," Dorian took out his toiletries from his bottomless bag, a fresh change of clothes and a towel and got into the shower after undressing. "Come on in. If I drown, you get to eat me."

He turned on the water and began to wash. Dorian saw a nose poke through the shower curtain. Then, the entire head. Dorian bent down and began to wash the dog with his own shampoo. Seeing as he had left the dog's in the out. Gently, he took the dog inside the shower.

When they got out, they both smelled of mint and looked refreshed.

"Breeze," Dorian called the name of the spell, and they were both dried. Dorian dressed and looked at the shower cabin, which was full of dog hair.

"Well, that is not good," he took a bucket from the ground and a brush and began to collect the hair. He would need to clean the entire bathroom and the hall. Not to mention the toilet and the front hall. But, he had washed the dog.

Dorian looked back at the brown fluff ball, who was sitting and watching him intently.

"The things I do for a quest, eh?" The dog shook its head, and Dorian let go of the brush to get off the dog's muzzle. As soon as he did, the dog licked one of the bitten spots on Dorian's arm. 

"You didn't bite that hard, don't worry. Now, be good," and Dorian went back to cleaning. When he was done, the house was shining, and he was dead tired. But the dog had been quiet as a mouse, and the noisy neighbor had left him a plate with cookies. So, the day was not a disaster, as he had feared.

9