Chapter 61: Taking the time to improve.
146 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alberta had enjoyed playing with the cat, but then, the cat had walked to its bet and fallen asleep. The wind mage felt slightly snubbed. But figured that the cat had been incredibly friendly, in the first two hours.

So, now, she was looking at the bookshelves that lined the walls. They were filled by novels, for the most part. Yet, something caught her eye. The book read:

Beginning mana sensing for the aspiring mage.

And it was thin. Alberta looked through it. And then she blinked. It was just fifty pages long. Now, she knew that it was frowned upon to take knowledge from someone without asking, but the owner of the cat had told her to help herself to anything in the house, within reason.

Such an understandable man would not mind if a book has been read just once, right? She opened it and began to read.

Mana sensing is based on the pulse of people. The heart pumps the blood, the blood carries the mana. Only things without a pulse don't have mana. Or things that have had their mana cut off by a healer. For more details, check page forty...

Alberta was tempted to go and do that. But, she stopped herself. Only healers were entitled to cut off mana circulation. The necromancer, Asmodeos, had gotten himself kicked out of the guild because he learned and practiced the skill. It would be for the best if she stayed clear of such a skill. 

To sense the mana, you must first sense your own. To accomplish that, you must be acutely aware of your own heartbeat...

Alberta placed a finger at her wrist and began listening to her pulse. It was calm, but she felt no moment of realization at having done that. Maybe she was missing something?

Everyone knows how to channel mana. But, to be a true mage, you have to know how to sense it...

Ok, why was the author double backing? Alberta skipped that particular paragraph and read further.

Mana is like a flowing water...

Skip

Drum your mana to the rhythm of your heartbeat...

Ok, this was promising. Alberta began to let out mana pulses in the rhythm of her heartbeat. Once, twice and at the third attempt, she got a feeling like her body was all mapped out. Then, she felt something to the side. It was smaller and had the shape of a cat.

"Yes!" Alberta whopped with joy. She had done it. No longer will she have to agonize over asking either Morris or Leander for lessons. Because, she, had...and the map disappeared. Alberta's eyes found the book again.

Mana sensing is like a muscle. The more you use it, the less thought you can put into the process. But, in the beginning stage, maximum effort is required. I advise that the beginner mage meditates...

Alberta wilted. She hated meditating. However, this was a killer skill to have. She imagined the good points. Tracing mobs in dark caverns. Finding hidden treasure. Guessing, no, knowing the spells sent her way.

And the bad points? It took some effort. Well, when had that stopped a Budding Lily? No way was she going to quit just like that. She picked up the book and returned it in its spot. Then, she went and sat on the floor by the coffee table and closed her eyes.

At some point, the cat came to sit in her lap, but Alberta was too far into her meditation to notice. She didn't notice when the owner of the cat came in and saw her, either.

With calm steps, the man went to the bookshelf and searched for any recently touched books, by tracing the mana imprint on them. He smiled when he noticed that the textbook he had written had been taken out of its place.

With a bounce to his step, he went to the kitchen and made some light sandwiches and cut up some fish for his cat. Then, he busied himself with chores, letting the adventurer meditate.

Alberta opened her eyes when the grandfather clock chimed seven times. The noise too much for her. She blinked. The cat was in her lap and there were sandwiches on the table and, next to the cat bed, some fish in a plate.

"Hello, did you enjoy my book?" Alberta's cheeks colored red. She had been caught.

"I, uhm, sorry, sir," Alberta managed to murmur, but the man just smiled at her.

"I never managed to get it published, you know? People found it too dry, too repetitive. The publishers told me my tendency to cycle back was annoying," Alberta chuckled nervously. Sure, the textbook had not been as exciting as the books on offer in the guild, but it had provided her with the needed information.

"Have you tried to give it to the adventurer's guild? I am certain that guild master Alklair will pay you," her client stood up and picked the book up. He gave it to Alberta.

"Give this to him, then. But, first, read through it and take notes. Nothing will make me happier than to know that someone learned from my book diligently," Alberta clutched the book closer to her chest.

"Thank you. I will be going now," but the man pointed at the sandwiches.

"You must have not read to chapter 25, but mana sensing is hungry work. I suppose that, in overweight people, it could help with them losing a lot of weight. Ironically enough, this is the reason behind not many mages picking up the skill. Seeing as most of your class are skinny," Alberta blinked. Wait, was Leander losing weight because of that weird walking in place thing he was doing, or because of mana sensing? Then, the man chuckled.

"Got you. Still, eat your sandwiches. I made them to thank you for your interest in my work. And for the wonderful care you gave Mittens," Alberta chuckled a couple of times, and took one of the sandwiches. Even if mana sensing did not translate to having to eat a lot of food, she had meditated the entire day, or, at least, the better part of it. So, she had skipped lunch.

9