Chapter 90: Going home and facing the music
95 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Guild master Lemon Cake, you do know we get paid to hunt dungeon cores, right?" Nestor spoke with a smirk. The entire guild was there for the announcement that the guild now had not one, but three dungeon cores in its ranks.

"Nestor, am I any different from before?" Leander asked. Honestly, he did not understand why the drama was needed. Sure, he had done this for Armaros, but the guild was going to benefit, too.

"You are less human, most definitely," Percival chimed in. Numerous people nodded.

"So, would you turn me over to the researchers?" Leander looked at them all as they shifted uncomfortably. "I am one of you, remember that. Today it is me, whose turn is tomorrow?"

"I didn't say that," Nestor defended himself, as he rubbed the back of his head.

"You implied it," Armaros said with a glare.

"We, the three dungeon cores, will bring prosperity to the guild," Leander assured them, banking on their greed, seeing as their loyalty was not enough.

"You can create treasure," Alektos agreed. They had all seen Leander making the hourglass glow and then a small ring appearing in his palm. "But how are some flowers going to help us?"

Leander was relieved that Alektos had not questioned Armaros's worth. Because, if he had, and, if the rest had agreed, Leander was going to pack and leave with his lovers and to hell with the guild.

"These are priceless potion's ingredients," Leander reminded the tank.

"They used to be. Now, there is a way to produce them in bulk. Their value is a thing of the past," Antonia chimed in, and Leander blinked. Huh, he had not thought of that.

"Is wheat without a value? Do you get your daily bread for free?" Soed asked, looking annoyed. "They are produced in bulk. Tons of them are thrown each year. Yet, you still get charged for them."

"But, the flowers won't be as expensive as they are now," someone from the back called.

"Wheat is cheap, too. One gold coin per sack. Yet, the wheat farmers are some of our richest clients," Soed argued. "Think, in a world where the Blue Bells become common, invisibility potions become common, what can the average person achieve?"

"Well, it is said that if you master the invisibility potion, then you can make any potion because it trains all the potion making procedures," Valerie spoke uncertainly.

"Precisely," Soed smiled at her. "Think, almost everyone wants to learn alchemy. It is the most profitable job there is. Yet, few even try because the cheapest ingredients for the cheapest potion: the burn salve, still amount to fifteen gold coins. How many quests is that?"

The adventurers began to murmur to each other. Already thinking how, after they had mastered the invisibility potion, they were going to make cheap burn salves and sell them for double the worth of the ingredients.

Soed went to Leander and clapped him on the shoulder.

"It never ceases to amaze me how greedy you adventurers are. Like you are all dragons," Soed commented. He had never been like that. Which had probably come from him coming from old money and already having profitable investments to his name.

"We have a real dragon in the guild — now. His name is Ebony and I don't know how to tell the rest about him," Soed blinked. What, not only did they take a door with them, but the mobs too? This was the most shameless platoon he had ever met. And Alklair had just stood and let them?

Soed began to laugh at that. Then, he waved his arms.

"Everyone, guild master Lemon Cake has robbed the dungeon of its resident dragon. Just imagine, one day, if you are all good, do your quests and brush your teeth, you might fly on the back of a dragon," Soed began clutching his sides as he laughed. Silence followed his proclamation, and then a cacophony replaced it.

"The Raging Bulls calls dips to the first trip with the dragon. Alektos led platoon 23, once," Aros yelled over the noise.

"The Griffins did just as much for platoon 23 as Alektos, if not more. Seeing as we risked our hides on the front lines," Nestor shouted, and his partners agreed.

"So, what? I say we throw a coin for the first flight," Antonia called, and she received some nods.

"Ebony has a personal contract with Armaros. He decides," Leander spoke and everyone turned to the dungeon core turned mage.

"Armaros, I'll get you a hamster if you let me on Ebony's back," someone suggested. Leander sweat dropped. Armaros was not going to be so easily bribed, surely?

"Deal," Armaros exclaimed, and Leander sighed.

Leander decided not to argue with Armaros on that. What were a couple of more hamsters on a farm? Atha would like them running in circles around him and Bog. Maybe Kraedor would find them endearing, too.

"We will get you hamsters too," Nestor yelled. "You liked ginger ones, right? That Fluffs was ginger, right?"

Leander watched as the entire guild made offers to give hamsters to the bubbly dungeon core. This was the most attention that Armaros has ever gotten.

Him having approached almost every male in the guild with the request to have their children had made him something of a pariah. The blonde healer was glad that the guild was willing to overlook Armaros's oddities now. Even if it was because of a dragon.

"The angel is better than guild master Lemon Cake. He actually shares his battle companions," someone commented, and Leander's eyes twitched.

"Yes, and he is so nice. I don't think I have ever heard him say anything against anyone," Leander's eyes softened. Yes, Armaros was nice and deserved friends.

"Do you think that, if I defeat guild master Lemon Cake in an honor duel, the doe-eyed angel will become my boyfriend? I have nothing against him making me a couple of children," Leander looked at Nestor with blazing eyes. Oh, no. He did not just say that.

"Nestor! I challenge you to an...mmm," Leander's mouth was closed shut by Jean, who was smirking down at him.

"You stopped me from doing something like that, once. Think, what were your motivations?" Leander blinked. Oh, right. Honor duels were too big of a gamble.

"Yes, guild master Lemon Cake?" Nestor, the insufferable shit that he was, had a hand cupping his ear and everyone had grown silent. Jean let go of Leander's mouth and tilted his head at him.

"You and the Griffins have a battle evaluation in an hour. Baleg will be your opponent. He will party with Tom," Leander enjoyed the ashen look on Nestor's face. A bit of humbling would go a long way with the tank. Ah, the perks of being the guild master. He could bet that no one would try to challenge him to an honor duel for Armaros's hand, after what Baleg and Tom would do to the Griffins.

6