Chapter 95: Making a new Huergaz underground
81 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leander realized, after he began to dig, using stone golems, that the entire ground below Huergaz was free real estate. So, he, like the greedy adventurer that he was, began to make tunnels deep under the grounds and make entire neighborhoods down there.

A city below the city. Belonging to the guild. And, the best part was that, he had gotten permission. The king had leapt at the idea of getting more taxes for a land that was already taxed. With the royal decree, and guarded by the Raging Bulls, as, their leader was now his mini-boss, Leander walked down the empty caverns.

"The living quarters will be under the guild house itself," Leander mused out loud, he received silence. The Raging Bulls had nearly disbanded, but then Alektos had bowed to them and had told them he was guilty and deserved for them to leave his ass.

But what use would that have been, Aros had mused aloud. When they would still see Alektos every day, stuck at the guild house without a party. Or, becoming an unwanted wheel for platoon 23?

So, their friendship had won out and the two rogues had stayed with the tank. And, today, they had guarding duty.

"And, I think a couple of alchemy workshops won't be amiss," Leander continued, writing his ideas into a notebook so that he won't forget anything.

"We would benefit from a training dungeon," Alektos finally spoke. Leander turned to look at him.

"Do go on," Leander did not treat the tank with any less respect because Alektos had gotten them alive out of Samkiel's tomb, after all. But he did not want to let him lead him by the nose.

"The F ranked adventurers can't get good quests, or parties, in most cases. So, they quit because they can't support themselves," Alektos spoke. The tank was sure that Leander knew all that, seeing as he had been ranked F, once.

"Mobs that will pull back their punches?" And die...no, Armaros would not like that. "What about when the mobs get fed up being killed without being able to protect themselves, and they attack the rest of the tunnels? No, no training dungeon."

Leander turned and stared as a group of golems were building a house. It was to be for people who had a protection deal with the guild.

The ogre, Golog, who they had rescued from the Proudblade Mausoleum, was living in the inn. With his son, Arog. But, despite the inn being property of the guild, the innkeeper had still tried to charge the father and son extra. Leander had sent the mean woman packing and had found a new innkeeper, who wouldn't make her mistake.

It was big enough for a family of four. And, many more such houses would be built, soon. This one was for Golog and Arog, and it was made mostly from wood.

"A new training hall, then? The one we already have can barely fit us all," Sorecal tried to search for a compromise. Leander wrote that down, and nodded.

"We can have a training hall as big as Fawn Boulevard. In fact, I think I will place it beneath the boulevard," Leander mused, and they were off again.

Just as they were going below the market district, they heard hissing noises. The Raging Bulls stepped before Leander, in formation, and advanced towards the noises.

"Wait, if it doesn't try to attack, don't attack it," Leander ordered, and they continued to advance. What they found was a giant snake. One whose head was as big as a house. Leander's eyes widened.

"So, that was how there were already tunnels down here," as one, the party backed away from the snake and Leander quickly summoned a barrier and more of the shadow mantises.

The snake opened its mouth, and green gas escaped it. The adventurers pulled up their scarfs and Leander commanded the mantises to attack. He called out to the worker golems, the biggest of which was as big as a tree.

Thundering footsteps were his answer, and Leander turned and ran to a corner, where there was something like a burrow.

"Come on, we will just get in the way," Leander shouted, and the Raging Bulls got in the burrow with him. They huddled together and listened as the boss mob was being torn by golems and small, and hard-to-hit swarm mobs.

"Guild master, if there is one of those down here, then, there could be a dungeon," Alektos did not say that there were more boss mobs. Because to imply that meant that the dungeon was ancient and powerful. And he didn't want to think about such a dungeon under Huergaz.

"The entire guild will deal with this," they heard a loud crash and the ground shook. The big head of the snake rolled down the tunnel and pass their burrow. "Even if the guild has to pay for the quest. We can't leave something like this under Huergaz."

Leander did not want to think that, at any moment, the mobs could spill in the city. They had been lucky, finding the boss mob now. If they had finished the inspection and gone back up, the snake could have passed the golems, which had been put on non-aggression mode, and slithered up the stairs and into the guild house.

"Will you be leading the charge?" Aros asked. Because, he would feel calmer with a dungeon core leading the charge against another dungeon core.

"I have no other choice," Leander looked at the head, which had finally stopped moving. The eyes were glassy, but narrowed. As if the snake were challenging him, even in death. "We will clear the entire Alcandino underground, if we must."

Something in the back of Leander's mind began to gnaw at him. What if, dungeons were born in underground tunnels, not in abandoned places and dark caves? What if, once they cleared the country, and he put his own dungeon grounds line over the entire territory of Alcandino, the dungeons became a thing of the past for their country?

6