Chapter 44: Bad Company
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

An alarm blared, snapping Midnight from his nap and causing him to go sprawling across the floor with an undignified yelp. He heard Spitfire, who had been beside him, jump to her hooves in an instant, already alert and ready. Not wanting to be outdone, Midnight got to his hooves as well, the tiredness all but a recent memory.

Quick as snakes, the two set about their room gathering their armor. The alarm had only been set off once before during a drill, and every guard knew how to react should it happen for real.

Within seconds, the two had donned their equipment and were sprinting out the door. Guards and officers ran about pell-mell, trying to form some medium of order. The clatter of spears and swords echoed up and down the barracks as weapons were given to their respective fighters. A horde of soldiers were running towards the main courtyard, and Midnight figured it best that they followed along. He, along with Spitfire, sprinted along without a word; the time for questions would come later.

The duo finally made it outside, and when they did, they were forced to pause. General Blight was standing on a rock near the center of the field. His face was formed into an angry scowl as he pointed different groups of guards into seemingly random directions. There was a constant outflow of soldiers as they were assigned to various tasks.

"We should find our squad. Can you see Sergeant Forrester from here?" Spitfire suddenly asked from beside Midnight. The lithe black Pegasus shook his head.

"Not at the moment, he must be getting his equipment. Let's find the others and get directions from the general, I'm sure he will be out by that point, and we can brief him on the situation."

The two took to the air and began searching the crowd. So many ponies were constantly on the move, making the task of finding anypony incredibly difficult. After a good thirty seconds of searching, Midnight was able to spot Stormfly in the crowd. He tapped Spitfire on the withers and the two of them descended towards their squad mate. Upon touching down, Cobalt and Steel seemed to materialize out of the crowd along with Swift Spear. Both the bulky stallions were wielding their heavy armor, and Swift was sporting his trusty crossbow. Midnight was happy to note the different devices Dean had provided them with were strapped to his torso.

"Lieutenant, any idea what's going on??" Midnight turned and faced Stormfly, but before he could say a single word, the courtyard suddenly went dead quiet. A chill seemed to sweep through the assembled guards, and the mass of bodies suddenly found itself moving. Midnight started to move with the bodies, but somehow ended up on the front line as the guard force was split in two on either side of the barracks entryway.

Dean's squad waited along with everyone else as a group of ponies suddenly appeared in the doorway of the barracks. Midnight recognized a few nurses as well as Doctor Lactose. They seemed to be arguing with each other, and Lactose was waving his hoof wildly at the assembled crowd. The alarm continued to blare further in the city, but it had become a background noise for everypony present.

The clatter of hooves followed by a certain Captain skidding to a halt caused many heads to turn. Shining Armor stopped beside General Blight and faced the barracks, a look of disbelief and horror plastered on his face.

"What..."

Gasping was heard, then someone screamed. As a stretcher came into view, panic and fear began to set into the crowd. Ponies were pointing, their expressions full of shock; Midnight was no different. He hardly felt it when his jaw fell open and his ears splayed back. He hardly felt it when his rear legs gave out, causing him to sit down hard on the rough ground. It couldn't be real, what he was seeing. It wasn't real...

A cloud that had been concealing the moon suddenly moved out of the way, and Midnight could see exactly who it was. Light shone down from above, highlighting the lavender corpse of Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Looking around, Midnight found Captain Shining Armor running down the line of ponies, his face one of desperation. General Blight followed close behind.

There was a sudden pop, and Midnight saw Starlight Glimmer appear beside the stretcher. Her hair was in disarray as she waited for Shining to reach her. When he did, the stretcher bearers stopped in their tracks. Midnight only caught glimpses as ponies suddenly crowded around him, trying to get a better view. All the Lieutenant did was sit there on the ground, the world seeming to be nonexistent in his mind's eye.

'It's not her.'

He heard a wail of sorrow, followed by a cacophony of noise as word was passed around. Midnight still sat on the ground.

'It can't be her.'

A few ponies moved, and Midnight was able to see through the bodies. He could see the mare's dead, soulless eyes staring into his, her mouth slightly hanging open. One wing was draped over the side to the stretcher, sagging and scraping on the ground.

'What caused this?'

He saw something then, something strange. There was a small hole in her chest, and blood seemed to have leaked across her fur. A sense of familiarity suddenly hit Midnight. He should know what that was, the hole. He knew what had caused it, but his brain was not wanting to believe it.

A hush fell over the crowd. A pin could have dropped, and the sound would have been deafening. All eyes were focused on the Captain of the guard, who was gently nuzzling the slain Princess with tears in his eyes. His look of sorrow was heartbreaking, and Midnight could only imagine what was going through his head. Suddenly, the Captain spoke.

"LISTEN!" His yell caused many to stand straighter, their masks of professionalism slipping on in place of their grief and fear. The Captain got up and began to pace around, causing the tide of ponies to back away ever so slightly. Gone was the sadness; in its place, was a cold fury.

"FIND THE DEMON IN METAL, FOR HE HAS BETRAYED US! FIND THE DEMON IN METAL, FOR HE HAS KILLED THE LAST PRINCESS OF EQUESTRIA! FIND THE DEMON IN METAL... AND KILL HIM!!!" The Captain's words ended with him falling down beside the stretcher, one hoof laid across his sister's body as he silently wept.

There was hesitancy at first. None of it made any sense. The Demon in Metal, the one who had befriended them, trained them, and saved their kind. The Human who had gone out of his way to protect and serve an alien race... had killed the one pony he seemed to care about? Midnight wasn't stupid, and things weren't adding up. But what of the hole in her chest? He knew now that it was from what Dean had described to be a bullet, it was the only weapon capable of inflicting such a wound!

"I-I saw it with my own eyes!" A guard suddenly yelled. He sprung from the crowd, his eyes frantic and wild. "He had tried to attack the counselor when she came to his room. She yelled for help, and myself and Private Tailor saw the Demon standing over the corpse of the Princess! He killed her, he killed her in cold blood! He's a traitor!"

Mumbling was heard through the crowd. The words 'traitor,' and 'killer' reached Midnight's ears, but he still didn't believe what he was hearing. Something didn't add up, Dean would never do this!

He looked back at the squad, and he saw similar looks on each of their faces. Their initial shock was replaced with looks of uncertainty. The squad slowly grouped together as their fellow guards went over their gear one last time.

"You have your orders! Move out, find the Demon!" General Blight’s voice echoed across the courtyard in a ferocious roar. His words galvanized the guards into action, and a steady stream of armor and determination began double timing it out and into the city. The only ones who didn't immediately move were Midnight and the rest of the squad.

Spitfire turned and regarded each and every member with a stern look.

"Something isn't right here, and I think you all know it. We are going to find the Sergeant, and we are going to get some answers. Are you all with me?" An assortment of "aye's" and "yes Ma'am's" chorused in acknowledgment. Spitfire's eyes met Midnights, and he gave her a quick smile and nod of the head. She returned his smile before her stern expression returned. "Lets move out, ponies! On the double!"

The six soldier's quickly made their way out into the city along with everypony else. However, unlike the others, their mission was not one of death, but one of understanding. One way or another, they would be getting answers.

*****

"Y'know, I still don't understand why you need me of all people for this little expedition of yours! Why not take, oh, I don't know, literally anyone else??" Trignar glared at the Demon as he was steered through the various alleys and backroads. A constant, droaning alarm echoed across the city in its entirety, and every once and awhile, Trignar noticed platoons of soldier's sprinting by. He glared over his shoulder at the Demon, his fist clenching around the little purple orb in his grip. "What in the bloody blazes did you do!?"

"Shut the fuck up." The Demon simply growled from underneath his helmet. His one hand clenched down on Trignar's shirt, causing him to wince in pain as his skin was pulled.

A sudden crackling sound stopped both of them in their tracks, and looking back, Trignar could see the Demon's head was cocked to the side. A gust of wind blue down the Alleyway they were currently in, and a stray piece of paper blew in circles. The Elven Prince took a step back, his ears folding down on their own accord. His eyes scanned every nook and cranny, every shadow, and any evidence of movement. A trash can cluttered down the alley, and his eyes snapped in that direction. Trignar's eyes widened when he saw the shadowy form of a pony standing not five meters away.

"D-Demon." Trignar gulped as the Demon gave a grunt of acknowledgment. Suddenly, the Dark Elf was forced to the ground, causing him to give a momentary cry of pain.

Trignar's surprise turned to confusion when he felt the Demon's hands leave his back. Taking a quick glance behind him, he noticed that the Human was now holding his smaller weapon in a two-handed grip. His stance was lowered, as if he was preparing for a flight.

Trignar blinked, and another shape suddenly appeared behind the Sergeant. Looking around, the Elf counted a total of six ponies having suddenly appeared.

They were surrounded.

Looking back to the one that Dean was facing, he noticed that the Pegasus had moved forward so that he was visible. His face was neutral, but his stance was ready. His eyes darted between the Demon and the Elven Prince, then to his various squad mates. One of his ears flicked as his head tilted to the side. The Demon remained silent.

"Did you kill her?" Midnight's voice was even and controlled. There was no accusatory tone, and no interrogative meaning. It was a simple question... a simple question that carried so much weight. The other squad members seemed to hold their breath as they waited for their leader's response. His massive, unmoving form gave them no indication as to what he was thinking, or what he was planning. All they could see was the flat, glassy surface of his helmet.

Finally, after five infinitely long seconds, the Sergeant gave his response.

"No, I did not."

His words caused the tension in the air to dissipate altogether, but not in its entirety. Midnight took a calm step forward and gestured with his leg, much like a person would do with their hands while talking.

"We saw her body. Can you prove it wasn't her?"

Dean nodded tersely before reaching with his free hand towards his tacpad. Trignar could only watch in mild fascination as the screen lit up in a brilliant orange display. He became so enticed by the flickering lights, that he nearly jumped out of his skin when the Demon spoke.

"Open mission log two dash three dash seven. Status: Dormant." His deep voice seemed like a cannon shot in the quiet night, even if it was merely more than a mumble. The device beeped once, causing Trignar's ear to flick. "Open holographic projection."

Trignar, along with everyone else, jumped once more as a blinding array of lights lept from the side of the tacpad and into the night. The light seemed to solidify before their very eyes, seemingly turning into a solid object a foot away from the device it originated from.

Before anything could happen, Dean's head snapped up and to the side.

"Corporal Steel and Cobalt, invisibility field, now."

Without much hesitation, the two burly stallions lit their horns, and not a moment too soon. A platoon of guards marched down the street in quick formation. The unicorns at the front, middle, and back, cast light from their horns as they scanned the various alleyways and roads. Once they had officially left, Dean spoke once more.

"Keep the field up, just in case." He turned to Midnight. "What I am going to show you is an advanced piece of Human technology called a video. It allows someone to capture entire scenes or situations; a moving picture if you will. You wanted proof? Here it is."

Dean pressed play, and the holographic video began. Even though it was being played via his tac-pad, the video was actually taken from his helmet. It was uploaded the second he reattached the device to his arm.

Trignar watched in fascination as he watched what appeared to be Dean playing a music piece, followed by him coming close to the camera and messing with his armor. All the ponies saw when the Princess hopped off the bed and began stalking closer, her horn lit with a toxic Green hue. He cringed when the little Alicorn began shooting magic at the unsuspecting soldier, but was surprised when he dodged the attack and came up with his own weapon.

"That green magic... I've seen it before, but where?" Spitfire suddenly announced. She rubbed a hoof against her chin as she kept regarding the video.

As the recording continued, Dean holstered his pistol at his side, making sure to flip the safety on. It pained him to have to see himself in such a sorry state, when he had thought he had killed his best friend in the land of Equestria. No one could see it, but a tear slowly traced its way down his cheek. Even if it had been an imposter, he couldn't stop seeing the Princesses body in his arms; her lifeless eyes staring out in shock and pain. He could see it now, the light leaving her as she was murdered.

The Emperor, the things he would do to her... he didn't want to know what he would do. What fate had the other Princesses suffered? Would he do the same to Twilight? What about the changelings? Surely, if they are working for the Emperor, then they would hand her over? What was it Starlight said; dead within the week? He wouldn't allow it. He needed to--

Dean's face scrunched in confusion as he felt something at his side shift. Looking down, he saw his pistol held in a green glow. The shock of seeing something so foreign wrapped around the grip of his gun caused him a moment of hesitation. Once the pistol had been moved free of its holster, he remembered who utilized green magic and promptly jumped to take back his weapon. Unlike his armor and its attachments, the P23 was made of simple metal, thus allowing it to be picked up by magic. His hand wrapped around the barrel of his pistol, and he heard the safety switch off. A bullet from the P23, even with armor, would pulverize his insides. Quick as a snake, he forced the barrel up just as the trigger was pulled.

THWIP!

The discharge of the silenced pistol went off right beside his ear, causing him to flinch out of the way. The bullet smashed into the corner of a building and promptly exploded when the chemicals within it reacted. As dust rained down from above, the magic on the pistol dissipated as soon as he got a good grip. His eyes darted towards the only two unicorns around, and he was just in time to catch a green hue disappear around Corporal Steel's horn. Without hesitation, he brought his gun around and pulled the trigger within a millisecond.

Once more, the bullet came out with nary a sound, and Dean calculated the trajectory and speed of the bullet. The piece of supersonic metal seemed to leave a trail as it flew towards the offending Unicorn's leg. The bullet pierced flesh, but continued through as if nothing had happened. Just as the disguised pony's face writhed in pain, the bullet hit the ground and exploded. The rocks and dirt acted as shrapnel; an especially sharp piece pierced the exposed belly of the stallion.

Just as the fake Corporal went to scream in pain, Dean's fist collided with the side of his head. The stallion fell without a word, and Dean glared down at the fake.

"D-Dean! W-What the buck was that?? Why did--?"

Dean whirled around and pointed at the unconscious fake below him. Even though his face was covered, the ponies could practically feel the rage filled scowl on his face.

"The Resistance has been infiltrated by changelings. I was attacked by one of the bugs disguised as the Princess. When it died, its form reverted back to its original look. The counselor showed up and blasted the dead bug with magic, turning it back into the Princess."

"But how can--"

"SCAN CORPORAL STEEL!" Dean's voice was full of heat, and it caused the squad to inch away once more. The Human was filled with a rage so potent that he was starting to see red. He didn't have time for this.

There was a beep, and the tac-pad gave its analysis in a deep, robotic voice.

"//:ORITHIAN BIOLOGY DETECTED! CHITINOUS ENDOSKELETON, TWO HEARTS, ONE ABNORMALITY NEAR TOP OF HEAD, UNKNOWN ENERGY READING. RECOMMENDED ACTION: EXTERMINATION!//:"

Dean turned and faced Cobalt.

//:SPECIES: EQUINE IN NATURE://

He repeated this process for each of his squad mates, and each came up clean. Throughout his procedure, each of them held a stupefied look; their jaws collectively dropped. The only one to not share their looks was cobalt, who was trying to stem the flow of blood coming from the bug's foreleg and stomach. Dean briefly wondered why the Changeling didn't revert back to its base form, but figured it might be because he didn't kill this one.

The first to shut their mouth was Midnight.

"If this is the case, then we have to deal with this infestation! I say we notify the General or Prince." Dean shook his head and waved his hand dramatically.

"Your job is to inform them and exterminate the infiltrators. I have a plan and it requires every available soldier. Cobalt, is the spell still up?" The unicorn nodded as he tied off the last bandage, his attention returning to the Sergeant.

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Listen in." The group slowly crowded into the Sergeant, forcing Trignar in with them. Having no magic, and no way of fighting back, he was truly no threat to whatever plan Dean had cooked up. Dean took a knee and began.

"I will be going with the Prince to the Changeling hive, seeing as it is the most likely place they brought the Princess. This task will likely take a few days, as I intend on taking that train we 'borrowed' from the Frozen North. Midnight, once this little meeting is concluded, I need you to fly as fast as you can to my room and grab a large duffel bag filled with white blocks. Beside the duffel bag is a smaller bag filled with electronics and wires. They were going to be part of a training exercise I had planned for next week, but that'll have to wait. You will bring them back here within five minutes; we don't have all day. Anyway, while I am gone, you lot need to convince the General that the Resistance has been infiltrated. You need to exterminate the bugs, and prepare all defenses.

"B-But why? If you get the Princess back, then why would we need to prepare?" Swift Spear spoke with a shake in his voice. Dean could hear the fear behind his words, and a dark look came over him.

"I was told we have two weeks before the Elves start their master plan, and I intend on making sure that never happens. If they get word that the Changelings lost the Princess, then it'll be likely that they will send an army to get her back." Dean sighed. "I didn't realize Twilight was so important to their plans, but I think I have a way of stopping the inevitable invasion."

Dean's squad were paying rapt attention now. The implications of him taking the Princess back were truly dire. A weight seemed to descend on the assembled group as they realized time was running out. Stormfly's ears folded against her head, but a look of determination crossed her features.

"Whatever your plan is, I'll stay beside you. The Elves took everything from me," her eyes lingered on the nearby Prince before settling back on the Sergeant, "and I won't stand by and wait for them to come."

Dean cracked a smile under his helmet, but to ensure he expressed fully how he felt, he reached out an arm and laid it on her withers. He saw the determination in her eyes, and could not have been prouder. He removed his hand and looked around.

"I have left a detailed outline for proper defenses on my tac-pad, and I will also be leaving it with all of you to help you find the Changeling infiltrators. Contact each other through your radios; I will be long out of range by the time you are finished here, so I won't be able to give you any help. I am taking the Prince, one, because he knows the location of where they are keeping Twilight, and two, because he refuses to give me directions unless I take him." All eyes turned to the Prince, who gave a wide sneer in return.

"What? I'm not stupid enough not to miss an opportunity like this!" He gave a quiet chuckle, which quickly died as he realized he was still being stared at. Spitfire scowled and turned back to Dean.

"I wouldn't trust him, Sarge. The moment you turn your back, he'll take the opportunity to stab it."

Dean nodded ever so slowly, his gut telling him that she was right. But what choice did he have? Starlight, or whoever was portraying Starlight, had told him that the Princess would be dead by the end of the week! He didn't have time to make a solid plan, or even consult the General or the Prince. He was against the clock once again, and if he failed, then the world... no, the Multiverse was doomed. He vaguely remembered the words of the Guardian, and no matter how much he disliked the Archangel, he couldn't just refute his warnings. He knew of the Trench coat wearing man's lore, and he knew that if the Destroyer were to escape with the help of the Elves, then everything, and everyone were as good as dead. Hell, Dean's own world would likely be annihilated along with countless others. It was a momentous, nigh impossible task, but he had no choice. It all started somewhere, and at the moment, he needed to begin by saving his best friend.

Dean turned his gaze to Midnight.

"Midnight, go and get the supplies I requested, and quickly. Every second wasted is one step closer to the loss of the Princess." The jet black Pegasus saluted, and faster than the blink of an eye, was in the sky. Dean watched as he zipped off before sitting down completely. There was nothing he could do at the moment except wait.

"Sergeant?" He looked up at Swift Spear. The pony realized he had his superiors' attention and stuttered as he tried to speak. "W-What h-happens if the Elves get the Princess? You make it seem as if this one thing could be the end of, well, the world."

Dean looked around and realized that the ponies were still in denial. Even the Prince seemed confused. Dean gave a sigh before removing his helmet. His eyes held a far off look as he stared straight ahead.

"I was visited in a dream by none other than Princess Luna. She told me she was long dead, and her figure was but a memory. She warned me that the Dark Elves were up to something bad, and told me I had two weeks. She also made me promise to keep Twilight safe, for if the Elves got ahold of her, then all of Equestria was doomed." Dean saw questions forming on everyone's lips, but kept going before they could speak. "That monster that was chasing me, back in the Frozen North... The reason it couldn't find us was because we had some outside help. There is a being trapped in stone up in the Capitol called the Guardian. You don't need to know who he is, or what he can do, cause frankly, I really don't like him." Dean scowled.

"Surely he is important? Maybe he can help us if we free him?" Spitfire sat down and cocked her head to the side. Dean merely looked down.

"I wish that was the case. I don't know how to get him free; and you are right about him being important, but not in the way you think. He governs something called the multiverse. Sorta like how I came from another world myself, he ended up here and got trapped. His enemy is here as well, giving the Elves information and corrupting them. Whatever the Elves have planned, it involves Twilight. She somehow plays a part in the release of the Guardian's enemy. If IT gets free, uit won't just be this world that gets destroyed."

The atmosphere seemed to darken as a cloud passed over the moon far above. The shadows cast by the light upon Cobalt's horn seemed to Lengthen.

"First, It will wipe out this planet, then travel to the next, and the next. She will have the Dark Elves at her back as they go from world to world and burn them till there is nothing but a desolate wasteland. I know this because back on my world, there is a book about It, so I know a little bit about the enemy."

The ponies passed looks of fear among one another, and Dean saw quite a few shiver from the information he just provided. He decided he needed to lighten the mood.

"However, should we succeed, none of that will happen. Should we kill the Emperor, and keep the Princess safe, then they can't complete whatever it is they are going to do. Do not give up on hope, and do not let the darkness consume you. Instead, trust in each other, and we will win... we have to."

At those words, Dean heard a whoosh, followed by the telltale thump of a certain Pegasus landing in the shadows of the alley. Dean quickly stood and slipped his helmet back on. Trignar must have sensed it was time to go, and promptly stood as well. Dean took a look to the sky as his squad all got to their hooves and saw a squadron of Pegasi fly overhead. None noticed the little group in the depths of the alley, and they were quickly out of sight.

Looking towards Midnight Dean let one hand rest on the grip of his pistol while he strutted forward. No one spoke as Midnight stepped through the invisibility field, a duffle bag in one hoof. He grinned cheerfully as he reached up. Dean leaned forward to grab the bag, but his hand paused midreach.

"Hey, Midnight, what's my last name?" Midnight's head snapped up and he let out a quiet, but slightly uncomfortable chuckle.

"It's uh... it's--" Before anyone could blink, Dean's pistol was already pressed against the head of the infiltrator. It took a moment for everyone to catch up before a large assortment of gasps echoed through the alley.

"Give me one reason not to kill you, Changeling." Dean snarled. His helmet distorted his voice, and he suddenly seemed much more imposing. The bug in disguise went cross-eyed as he stared at the weapon pressed against his forehead.

"We can still use him." A familiar voice suddenly called from behind the group. All except Dean turned as the real Midnight walked through the shield. The requested bag, which was much bulkier than the one Dean was about to grab, was set down next to Trignar along with a black backpack. "He presents more proof."

After a moment of pause, Dean grabbed the Midnight in disguise around the neck. The bug gave a surprised squeal as it was lifted off the ground several feet. Dean walked back to the squad and promptly dropped the disguised Pegasus on the ground. He then walked over to his bags. Dean recognized the survival bag from the one within the crate. At the time of his entry into Equestria, it had been completely empty, but that changed as he was able to sort through all his equipment and prepare for an extended stay. He had two MRE's, a flashlight, a first aid kit, one flashbang, one frag-grenade, Two extra magazines for both his weapons, and a rope. Dean holstered his pistol, opened the front most pouch, and grabbed the long piece of material from the bag. He then walked back to the Changeling, who shied away as the Dean's opposing shadow seemed to loom overtop of it.

"You will be taken to the General, and I strongly suggest you give him any answers he so requests. I am already pissed off with your kind, and don't think I won't kill every last one of you should you become a problem. Y'know," Dean leaned down, his face plate a mere foot from the cowering infiltrator, "I haven't eaten an insect since my visit to Brazil. I truly wonder what your kind tastes like when cooked properly." The bug beneath him whimpered, its ears flopping downwards. There was a flash of green, a small flame, and the Changeling's true form was revealed. Its tail was tucked between its legs as it refused to meet Dean's eyes. After a moment more of regarding the bug, Dean turned.

"We've wasted enough time. You all know your jobs, so get to it. If I am not back in... let's go with four days, then you need to send as many soldiers as you can and attack the hive. Twilight's survival is essential, and even I am prone to failure...

Dean's vision flashed, and for the briefest moment, he could see a piece of paper in his hands: a letter. The sound of gunfire and the launching of hardlight echoed around him. With a blink, he was back to reality.

Grabbing the rope, he quickly bound the legs of the Changeling before grabbing his backpack and hoisting it around behind him. He made sure his rifle wouldn't get in the way by quickly equipping it in front of him. With his one free hand, he slung the strap of his next package around his neck and shoulder, making sure it wouldn't get in the way of his legs as he walked. The effort of carrying those two bags, as well as weapons would have been nigh impossible for a regular Human, but to Dean, it was a piece of cake. He barely felt any weight as he detached the tacpad from his wrist.

"I entrust this to you, Stormfly. Don't lose or break it, or I'll run you 'till you are dead upon my return." He saw the little Pegasus smirk as she gently grabbed the device with a hoof and put it inside one of the many pouches on her vest. "A simple tap will turn it on, and it's already locked on sensory mode. All you have to do is point the glass piece on the end at whatever it is you intend to scan, and it'll do the rest." He turned and faced the others.

"I will return with the Princess, and the Resistance will reign victorious. If I don't make it back..." Dean straightened and went into a crisp salute. Each of the ponies replicated his action with their hooves, and he dropped it once it had been returned entirely. "...It was truly an honor."

At that, he shoved the Prince of the Dark Elves from behind and began his trek out of the city. The six ponies were left watching the Human and the Elf as they disappeared into the shadows, but only for a moment. Stormfly turned and faced the others.

"You heard the boss, it's time we find those no good bugs and put an end to their charade. The Resistance stands strong!" At those words, Cobalt dropped the silence spell and picked up the two bugs in his magic. The conscious changeling made no move to struggle as it was lifted in the Unicorn's aura, and whisked away to an unknown fate.

*****

Getting out of the city had proved to be more difficult than Dean had guessed. Had he been by himself, it would have been no problem. He was a master of espionage and stealth, only being seen when he wanted to. Believe it or not, Dean's nickname was called Spectre, and was given to him by his fellow soldier's when he had all but disappeared during a mock battle exercise. Usually, this would give him the classifications of being a sniper or scout, but Dean was more of an 'up close and personal' kind of guy. His chosen weapons often put him in the heat of battle, but he didn't care one bit.

Dean also liked the name the Elves had given him. He had only shown how brutal of a fighter he was, as well as how terrifying his persona could be. But just like a Demon, he lurked in the shadows, ready to strike, to kill. Maybe Demon was the more appropriate name?

Anyway, upon leaving the squad, the Demon and the Prince had easily made it no more than half a kilometer towards the front gates when they all but ran into a patrol of guards ponies. Dean had reacted in seconds and placed a hand over the Prince's mouth as his foot dampeners activated. The two had stood in a corner, not ten feet from the rhythmic hooves produced by the marching soldiers as they trotted past his position.

Upon their passing, the two escapees made a break for it to a small door built into the main gate. It wasn't very practical, but Dean hadn't gotten around to buffering the Defenses of the walls just yet. He saw no guards on this side of the wall, but he remembered seeing multiple upon leaving for his expedition in the North.

They had walked right through the door, and Dean was in for a nasty surprise when nearly ten guards stood idly around the posts off to his left and right. Maybe they had been waiting for him for some time and grew bored, but that didn't matter.

Quick as a snake, Dean lifted the Prince in a fireman's carry and sprinted through the cluster of guards. One had about to cry out upon his entry through the door, but he was too slow as Dean shot past him like an arrow from a bow. There was the sound of yelling, the clatter of hooves, and someone falling over. Dean quickly entered the surrounding forest and didn't slow down, even while the sounds of pursuing guards grew more distant with every step he took.

He only stopped when he hit the pathway to the train tracks; his muscle kicked in and guided his feet as he made his way to his goal.

After ten minutes of jogging, and many curses from the Prince over his shoulder, he finally reached the final part of his escape. He set the Prince down and activated the thermal settings on his visor as he scoured the area with his vision. He could see the heavily camouflaged tarp over top of the train off to the side. The tracks split, and seemed to end upon turning to the right. To a common person, it would look like the track deteriorated at some point as grass and dirt covered the tracks a certain ways in. Dean knew it was nothing but an illusion, made by magic. The General had informed him that the Resistance utilized something called magic gems to store certain spells. Obviously, the gems planted in the ground beside the tracks (which he could see in thermal just beneath the dirt) contained some sort of illusion spell. He didn't know how it worked, nor did he need to. He just needed the train.

Dean and Trignar carefully jogged to the train, the Elf giving the Sergeant a stink eye as he moved. The broken chain around his neck seemed so loud in the darkness of the clearing. The moon was past its zenith now, so Dean deduced it to be around two or three o'clock in the morning.

Once they reached the engine itself, the two stopped and examined the beast before them.

The train was well maintained, and utterly massive. The colours were faded from its constant use, which was only better for what Dean had in mind. Now, unlike a steam engine from Earth, the locomotive was powered via (more) magical gems. The Sergeant didn't know the specifications behind the design, but he did know that the more gems, the longer it would last. One gem would last roughly one hour, and upon leaving the concentration camp, he had found the supply to be plentiful. Dean had briefly talked to a pony who was once a conductor, and she had said that the engine uses a magical cooling system while operating. Basically, the engine would not overheat, and it would last as long as there were gems in the tank for it to absorb from.

In a way, Dean had to admit that the idea was pretty cool. Humanity had nothing on a design like this, and he briefly wondered what would happen should the Equestrian's have had a modern-esque military. Maybe they would even surpass Humanity, especially with magic on their side.

"Alright, hop in. I've gotta do something."

The Elven Prince gave Dean another nasty look, but otherwise obeyed. Dean was quite surprised by the Dark Elf's compliance, but he knew that at some point, his luck with the point-eared prick was bound to run out. With one hand clutching his little purple orb, the Prince scaled the side of the Engine and disappeared inside.

Dean jogged to the back of the engine, skipped the car half full of gems, and came to the first coach. He scowled as he looked at that particular car. It was where he had seen them, all of them. Even now, just looking at it, the smell of fire and brimstone seemed to enter his senses. Dean shook his head and looked away; he had a job to do.

With a mighty kick, Dean unlatched the rest of the train from the engine. There was the satisfying sound of metal letting go of metal, and Dean promptly jogged back to the engine itself. He wasted no time climbing into the cab, where he was met with a snoring Prince sitting against the back corner near the far window. Dean scowled and stalked over to the Elf before giving a good kick to his thigh.

"What the!" The Prince whined as he grabbed his leg in both hands. Tears sprung into his eyes as he looked up at the Demon. "What the blazes is wrong with you!?" He hissed.

"You're in the way, asswipe." Dean growled. The Prince folded under his intense tone and promptly moved to the front of the locomotive. He rubbed his tired eyes and yawned as he looked out the front window and into the darkness beyond. He saw nothing but the outline of trees, a slight fog, and the flicker of a torch....

Wait.

"D-Demon!" Trignar's cry went unheeded as Dean regarded a map stuck to the back wall. The Elf's eyes went wide as another flame, followed by two more entered through the fog. "Demon, ponies!"

Dean turned and glared at the Elf, but his expression went from stern to surprised as he spied the torch-bearing guards running through the forest. He gave a quiet curse under his breath as he began flipping switches and turning knobs. His scowl never left his face as the engine sputtered to life, and a deep roar sounded from somewhere underneath. Pushing a lever to his left forward, there was a sudden grinding noise, followed by the train giving a jolt.

The ponies, having heard the Engine roar to life, were now making a B-line for the train. Even if there were three torches, Dean could count at least twelve guards galloping their way.

"Which way to the hive?" Dean turned to the Prince, who's ears folded down at the question. He stuttered at first but a quick snap of the fingers caused him to regain his train of thought.

"T-towards the badlands! We must go past Vanhoover and go past the Everfree all the way to Appleoosa!" Trignar glanced out the window; the train was picking up speed, and soon they would reach the intersection determining their direction.

"So we go right." In two strides, Dean was out of the train and sprinting ahead. He came to the first railroad switch and all but smashed it in the desired direction. The first point rails switched to the right, followed by the second ones connected to the main track converting to allow a smooth transition.

Dean was about to run back to the train when an arrow made of light seemed to come from nowhere and smash into his back. With a cry of shock, He was sent carrening forward onto the tracks... mere feet from the quickly approaching train! His eyes widened and he was temporarily frozen in shock as the lights all but blinded him. Seeing as his vision was still on the thermal setting, all he saw was a large red splotch.

A primal instinct forced his legs to move, and he all but flew through the air and off of the track. The train rumbled by, and seemed to already be moving as fast as a car! The Sergeant noticed the Torches were much closer, so much so that he could see the furious ponies sprinting towards him in the darkness. He was on his feet in an instant, his blood pumping as he sprinted full tilt to the runaway locomotive.

The yells and curses from the pursuing ponies went unheard as Dean swiftly caught the train and jumped onto the side access ladder. Instead of climbing up, Dean watched as the torches disappeared in the gloom along with their bearers. Trees overcame his vision, speeding by at an alarming rate while a fog descended over the land. Soon enough, all he could hear was the speedy chugging of the engine, and all he could see was the blur of the surrounding forests.

Dean sighed.

Things just weren't going according to plan, and he hated it. First the changelings, and now he was an outcast. The dubbed savior of this world had enemies on all sides now, and the only thing he could do was try and correct this debacle. After another few seconds of hesitation, Dean climbed up and into the cab, where he was once again met with the sleeping Prince.

The Human walked to the nearby control console and sat himself in the seat beside it, his eyes never straying from the map to his right. After a moment of thought, Dean took off his helmet and placed it beside the consol. Beads of sweat were matted in his hair, and he could only imagine how bad he smelled. He had gotten no time to shower upon returning, especially with all the errands he had run before getting to his room. By the looks of things, he wouldn't be getting a warm shower for quite some time.

Unconsciously, the Human super-soldier began to hum under his breath. The song, Wavin' flag, had come to his mind for some reason. It was a hopeful and bright little tune, one that he had listened to during his early years as an adult. He knew it was associated with soccer, and even though he wasn't a fan of the sport, he still found it catchy.

'Hell, Jaxon loved this song... especially when I took him to his hockey games."

A smile crept across Dean's grizzled face. The thought of his son always made him happy, and it always gave him the inspiration to keep going. Jaxon was, simply put, the future. Him, and countless others were the next stage in Humanity, and the Orith wanted to take it all away.

"So, Sergeant..." Dean snapped from his reverie and regarded the Elven Prince not with a scowl, but a plain look. He didn't have the energy to get mad, for his focus was elsewhere. It helped to try and be happy, especially with everything going to shit. Maybe they would be able to expel the Changelings, but what then? If he managed to rescue Twilight, then the Changelings would report it to the Elves. They would divulge all their resources into finding the Resistance... all because they had something planned by the end of the next week. It wasn't enough time, nowhere near enough...

"Why do you care so much for the Princess?"

Dean blinked, then blinked again before giving his full attention to the Elf. He frowned.

"Why do you care?"

Tringar shrugged and peered out the window to his left. His eyes held a distant, far off look as he watched the trees fly by. After a moment, a small smile appeared on his face before he turned back to Dean.

"Well, get that you are helping free this world from the tyranny of my kind, and I get that Twilight is the center of my fathers works... but the attachment I saw between you two has been a center of interest for me... especially after the night you took me prisoner."

Dean frowned in confusion, his eyebrow raising. "What are you talking about, the night I took you prisoner? That was weeks ago. Nothing particular happened, other than your near raping of the Princess, followed by me slaughtering your entire battalion of 'elite guards'." Dean raised his hands into air quotes as he said the name of the highest trained group in the Elven military. Trignar merely rolled his eyes.

"Be that as it may, when you were consoling the Princess after I made some very rude comments, you gave her a hug."

Dean scowled.

"And?"

"And you didn't see it? The purple mist and particles dancing in the air, touching the blades of grass and enveloping everything in a feeling of warmth and solitude?" Trignar winced and unfurled his hand, showing the little purple orb he so cherished. "I know not where this thing came from, but I found it stuck to my skin upon being out in that dank cell under the earth. It was like when you held the Princess in your arms: magic... pure, light magic!" Trignar smirked. "You have a bond with the Princess; your fates are now intertwined deeper than you could possibly fathom."

"Enough!" Dean growled, his eyes narrowing. "I don't know what you are playing at here, but this little nice and observant side is getting on my nerves. What happened to the raging Prince who hated me? To the bloodthirsty monster that was about enslaving an innocent species?"

Dean was very, very confused. He would never forgive the Prince for what he, and his kind had done, but something was off. The tone Trignar spoke with was one of lightheartedness and longing. Looking at him now, the Elf seemed to have lost some of his dark blue tint within his skin. Minus the ragged clothes and scraggly facial hair, he would look like an Elf from Lord of the Rings.

"Well, something changed, and I believe it was the orb that did it." Trignar looked up at Dean with a determined glare. "What I did was wrong, and my prior actions throughout my life were utterly repulsive. You still don't trust me, and I respect that, but know that I can now see through the illusion. Ever since I was given a look at what true friendship looks like, when your Princess tried to show me kindness, I have begun to see the truth. Just know... I am sorry." The Elves' ears drooped as he looked shamefully at the ground.

Dean for his part was staring at Trignar with his mouth hanging open. It wasn't as comical as when a pony did it, but it was wide enough to look slightly ridiculous. He stared at the Elf for at least twenty seconds, the only sounds being the chug of the train and the constant expulsion of steam being released from the engine's stack.

The Human closed his mouth with a loud snap and scowled.

"I don't believe you for a damn second, you pointy-eared bastard! Your kind has done far too much damage, and you were up near the top of it all. This whole orb and magic thingumabob you are talking about is the biggest lord of horseshit!" Dean clenched his teeth as Trignar sighed. "The only way I would believe a word of what you just said is if you physically proved you meant well. Say for example, if you helped me rescue the Princess, then maybe, MAYBE, I'll think about it!" Dean all but yelled as he ranted at the Elf. It was his fault he was forced to save the Princess the first time. He bore witness to Trignars actions first hand, and got to see what his kind was truly like. Going to Ravenford, then the concentration camp only solidified his beliefs that the Elves were nothing but pure scum. It would take more than a few words that seemed wise to convince him of anything.

Upon hearing his last phrase, Trignar's ears perked up and he gave Dean a smirk.

"You would truly be convinced, if only slightly, should I help you save the Princess?" The impish tone behind the Elves' words grated against Dean's nerves.

"Yes. Sure. Whatever." He growled as he waved his hand. Trignar merely shook his head and closed his eyes. A few moments later, his soft snores accompanied the sound of the engine chugging through the night. No more words were spoken, and Dean sat in silence. He refused to believe that the Prince of the Dark Elves, one of the higher people in their hierarchy, a hierarchy that enslaved, raped abused, and killed helpless people, could simply turn on a dime and say he saw through all the wrong doing. It was not possible, not even close.

"I see he threw you for a loop?"

Dean's pistol was in his hand before he realized who had spoken. He let out a breath as he forced the sudden surge of adrenaline to calm before glaring at the perpetrator.

The Guardian stood in the darkness, nothing but his eyes and the outline of his body visible within the shadows. It was a bit unsettling, but Dean ultimately didn't care.

"What the fuck do you want this time? Here to preach about how everyone is good again? Or how I can't be the judge, jury, and executioner?!" Dean all but snarled the words as he scowled at the trench coat wearing demigod.

The Guardian sighed, and Dean noticed his shoulders sag ever so slightly.

"No."

That one word, caused Dean to raise an eyebrow and his scowl to return to its trademark frown. The Guardian's eyes found Dean's, and a shiver ran up his spine.

"I am here to say, I am sorry. As it turns out, I was wrong about the Elves. I went ahead and looked at what they were doing across the world, and found it inexcusable. I... underestimated the severity of the situation, even when you told it to my face. I've seen some pretty horrible stuff, but this is up there being one of the worst scenarios I have witnessed. I am truly sorry."

Dean could feel the meaning behind the Guardian's words, and truly felt they were genuine. The Guardian was by no means his enemy, nor was he evil in any way. He remembered reading the book about him back home, and he recalled how the being before him was forced into a world not his own.

Just like Dean.

"However, Sergeant, there is something I found. While the Elves aren't being controlled by any means, they are still being influenced by my nemesis, the destroyer. Whatever spell IT cast merely enhances their loyalty to the Emperor, but it does not make them commit atrocities. Kill the Emperor, and the spell is broken. You likely already knew this, but I figured I should remind you."

Dean smirked.

"Well, I'm thankful for the advice. The problem is, I have only two weeks. Less if you count the days since I received the news. I will try my best to win, but that's all I can promise."

"And that's all I ask."

The Guardian stepped out of the shadows and smiled kindly. His smile slowly became a look of sincerity as he regarded the Elf sleeping on the ground to his left.

"You can find allies in the most unlikely of places, Sergeant. Trust your instincts, and never lose sight of who you are. I must go for now, but know I am watching. I will do my best to keep your mind safe from the Destroyer while you work, rest assured. Goodbye, Sergeant Forrester."

"Goodbye, and thank you."

The Guardian faded away, and Dean was left staring at the steel interior of the cabin. His thoughts roamed adrift as he became lost in the depths of his memories. One thing kept popping out however: Twilight. Her smile was so pure, her cheerfulness and kindness always bringing a smile to his face. The bond they had been developing was closely knitted, and Dean found himself more determined than ever to save her.

After sliding his helmet back on, checking his coordinates, finding where they were on the map, and setting an alarm. Dean began to doze off. The sensors on his suit were tuned to the maximum in case an Elven flying boat showed up, but he wasn't overly concerned about that. His alarm would wake him long before they reached civilization, or even open land for that matter. From here until the morning, it was nothing but forest.

With a final yawn, Dean fell into unconsciousness. The last thing he saw was the smiling face of Twilight, and the happiness it brought just seeing her.

*****

The fire crackled away as the moon began its slow descent across the sky. Stars winked and sparkled far above, and a cool breeze swept through the small clearing. Inside this clearing, six Dark Elves sat around the campfire, eagerly awaiting for their leader to emerge from her tent.

"What do you reckon our new orders are, Commander Kioti?" A young elf asked from across the fire. He was a new recruit in the Elite Guard program, and he was still very green. However, his sniping skills were renowned and considered some of the best in the kingdom. It didn't stop him from being a pain in the backside.

"No idea, now shut up, I think she is coming back."

Sure enough, Princess Mya, the only daughter of Emperor Dommik Blueblade, stepped out of her tent and zipped up behind her. She turned and faced her soldier's, a smug look in her eyes.

"Gentlemen, Begin taking everything down. We have orders to infiltrate the Changeling hive! One of our own spies has informed the Emperor that our target is being held there as a captive."

Looks of excitement were shared between the guards, and a few dark chuckles were heard. Princess Mya smirked and stuck her right hand against her chest.

"For the Empire!"

"FOR THE EMPIRE!"

The group moved with haste as they magically took down their tents and put out their fire. Soon, everything was loaded on their hover-boat, and they were ready to go. However, there was just one problem.

"Common, fucking slut!" One of the Guards was yanking on a small brown Earth Pony slave. Guards typically never brought their slaves with them while on a mission, but this was often overlooked by superiors due to the need to release pent up tensions, whether they be physical or emotional. The pony currently with them was refusing to budge an inch, which was surprising considering its skinny frame.

"I-I won't! The Princess is alive, and I won't let you get t-to her!" The resolve in her voice was actually quite cute to the Princess, but they were ona time limit here.

"Plymouth, if you can't get a hold of her, then you will have to leave her!" Mya barked. Plymouth let out a breath and gave a withering glare to the pony. She shrunk back, but otherwise refused to move. The chain around her neck went slack as Plymouth dropped it.

"Fine, have it your way."

Quick as a snake he reached forward and used his magic to enhance the strength in his arms. As the pony made to cry out, his fingers slipped into her open mouth, and began to spread apart. Both his hands worked in tandem as he yanked one down and the other up. The pony's eyes widened, and she jerked away, trying desperately to escape.

It was for nought, and a horrific CRACK echoed through the night. Elves jeered and catcalled as the pony screeched in pain, her eyes watering and her legs giving out. Her wails were loud enough to wake the dead, but they quickly went silent as a gurgling began to emanate from deep in her throat. Her whole body twitched as saliva and blood trickled down her throat and caused her to choke. Her legs kicked as her panic grew, her eyes bugging out of their sockets as she looked for some form of help.

"Here." Plymouth caught a spear from one of his fellow guards before turning to the dying pony. Tears poured down her face as she continued to hack and attempt to cough.

Plymouth sneered as he lowered the tip of the spear and touched the tip near the upper jaw bone so that it was facing towards the brain. The pony didn't notice what he was doing till it was too late.

He began slowly pushing, and felt an immense rush of satisfaction when the spear slowly pierced the flesh and slid effortlessly under the bone.

"Wease... Wease ohh!"

The pony twitched and cried as the spear drove deeper and deeper, cutting through flesh and scraping against bone. Her hooves weakly kicked against the ground as her choking sobs slowly ground to a halt. Her face had gone purple, and her twitching didn't stop until the spear was all the way inside her head. He gave a satisfying breath of elation as the pony drew her last breath and twitched one last time. Ever so slowly, he pulled the spear out with a squelch, and Plymouth grunted happily.

"Oh man, That was beautiful."

"Turned me on, that's for sure.

"Can't wait till I can get my own slave, the stuff I'll do..."

Mya huffed and rolled her eyes.

"If you are done, we have to go." She gestured towards the boat, where the rest of the company was watching from above. Plymouth smirked and took a step forward, but not before turning and spitting a glob of phlegm upon the new corpse.

"Let's hit the road, we have a Princess to capture!"

The Elves gave a short cheer as the boat lifted off the ground and sped towards their next destination. The race was on, and only one group would come out victorious.

*****

The corpse lay there, in the grass as the night continued. It was a sad concept that the universe did not care who lived and who died. It was not fair, it was not just. The Equestrians were conquered, they couldn't possibly beat the Dark Elves, for they had an army at their back. Their hope relied on one man... one human. If he failed to save the Princess, if he failed to stop the Emperor... then it wouldn't just be the end of the world, no.

It would be an end to the entire Multiverse.

0