Interlude: Brownie’s Christmas
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A frigid wind blew across the Human as he walked down a road in Canterlot. Snow decorated the streets, and decorations hung from every available corner. Chimney's along every house and every mansion were alight, and smoke lazily wafted into the air. Fluffy gray clouds floated lazily above, and if one were to look, they would see a multitude of Pegasi playing various games.

Dean, the Human, smiled as he approached his next destination. Under one arm, he carried a basket that was half full of various trinkets and unique objects. Each one sported a sticky note on the side, so as not to be misplaced or for their recipient to be forgotten.

He was just reaching for the door of the distillery before him when a small, round, and white blur flew past his face. The hunk of snow splattered against the frame of the door, and chunks of the former projectile landed on Dean's.

The Human gave a huff of amusement as he half turned towards the perpetrator behind the attack. His eyes searched for a good moment before coming upon what seemed to be an oddly shaped snow bank. His smirk grew into a smile as a little colt's head slowly rose over the edge of the bank. Nothing but his eyes and snout appeared as he searched for the human, and when his eyes found their target, his pupils dilated.

Quick as a flash, the pony was gone, and Dean could hear fierce whispering coming from behind the snow bank. Dean took his custom faux leather gloves out of his pocket and slipped them onto his hands. He then proceeded to carefully place his basket of goods beside the window of the distillery.

Ever so slowly, he turned around and regarded the snow bank once more. He was surprised to see at least three more faces analyzing him from afar, but his surprise melted into a kind smile.

He bent down and quickly scooped some snow from a bank beside him, his eyes never once leaving the children. His dexterous hands molded the snow into a fine ball, and once done, he held it in his right hand like a baseball.

The kids, having seen what he was up to at the last second, yelled at their fellows to run, but they were too slow. A brown Pegasus with a fiery red mane was a second too slow and received Dean's snowball to his side. The colt yelped and tumbled down the hill as the others ducked for cover.

Dean laughed loudly as he shook his head. Kids will be kids after all, especially when school was out for the winter. Mares and Stallions walking the street chuckled upon witnessing the short lived snowball fight before continuing on their way. Dean himself turned around and hefted his basket once more. He was about to continue when his eyes caught something in the reflection of the glass.

A rainbow blur promptly shot through the sky, but it was gone before Dean could get a good identification on who it was. He had a suspicion, but it wasn't of much concern to him. That Pegasus knew what kind of things happened when he caught her.

With a snort, Dean adjusted his heavy overcoat and twisted the knob of the door. The wind had been picking up again, and he could see a flurry of snow beginning to develop far above. His boots clunked as he stepped into the massive store, and he was forced to duck as he took a step in. Hopefully, those kids wouldn't pull anything when he came out.

"What can I do for you today?" A stallion behind the nearby counter asked with a thick accent. He spoke the common tongue, but there was no denying this stallion's foreign heritage. Dean cocked his head to the side ever so slightly as he recognized the accent.

"Are you from the Crystal Empire?"

The stallion smiled, not taking offense to the fact that the enormous biped before him had ignored his initial question. He nodded his head and chuckled.

"Indeed I am! Though, it has been years since I was last in the city. The last time I saw it on the train that took me to that wretched camp the Elves had created in Stalliongrad." The stallion shivered, and his smile dipped slightly. There was a moment's pause as the pony got a far off look. It only lasted a second before he shook his head and the smile returned.

"I don't suppose I'll ever see my home again. So, I have made it my duty to help keep the memory of the city alive for all who visit here. Now, what can I do for you?" Dean had frozen up at what the stallion had said, but upon seeing the ponies' rapid change in demeanor, he simply shrugged it off. What happened in the past was going to stay in the past.

"Well, it has come to my attention that this place was having a Chr- I mean, a Hearths-warming special of sorts. I was wondering if you had anything for a small group of people to celebrate with?" The stallion nodded his head and pushed a button on his desk.

"Ah yes, let me check for you. I'm sure we've got something in the back." Dean nodded his head and allowed the stallion to do his work.

As the pony wandered off in search of a drink, Dean's eyes wandered about the building. His basket of goodies was still clutched in his hand, and he placed it on a stool just off to the side.

A fire crackled a ways away in the corner of the room. Its flames danced and swirled as the magic induced wood kept it alight. Above the fireplace, sitting on a ledge, was one of those weird Russian dolls. Dean tilted his head at the familiar piece of wooden craft and slowly walked up to it. The drawings decorating the Matryoshka, depicted snowflakes and what appeared to be prancing ponies on a snowy hilltop. Dean was about to reach forward to look closer at the doll when the store pony returned and cleared his throat.

Dean immediately stood straight and turned towards him. The pony smirked as he glanced at the Matryoshka.

"I see you found one of my family heirlooms. My father would always put one above the mantle of the fireplace and said it was a good luck charm that kept the Windigos out." The stallion analyzed the Matryoshka for a few seconds more before turning to Dean. Presented a pale brown bottle to the Human before him, and his smile grew. Dean took the bottle and tried to read the label, but the words on it were unknown to him. While he knew a variety of languages from around the world, this one utterly stumped him.

"It's a special brand of alcohol created from the Crystal fruit and fermented into a wine. It is then slightly heated to ensure maximum taste. Essentially, it is much like Brandy, but the difference is the magical essence that leaks from the special fruit that was once found in the Empire. You would have to taste it yourself to understand."

The two found themselves in front of the counter. Dean's focus shifted from the bottle, and a smile graced his lips. Without a word, he reached into his pocket and grabbed his wallet. As he pulled the folded faux leather object, the stallion's eyes went wide.

"Oh no, no, no, there is no need to pay for this drink, my friend!" The stallion chuckled; Dean huffed.

"A drink such as this, especially with how rare it is, deserves to be paid for. How much do I owe you?" Dean began counting out a handful of bits. While most things in Equestria were considered pretty cheap, alcohol was not within that margin. It had cost a surprising amount before the war, and once more cost a lot afterwards.

The stallion shook his head and stared into Dean's eyes.

"It is on the house, my friend. Consider it a gift, and a thank you." Dean looked up in surprise, his mouth twisting into an 'o' shape.

"W-What do you mean a 'thank you'? I-I haven't even done anything to warrant this." Dean was dead silent as the stallion decided to glare into his eyes. There was a determination there, and what appeared to be a little bit of admiration.

"Does the term, Demon in Metal, ring a bell?" The stallion suddenly asked.

Dean inhaled sharply, his eyes widened.

"Wait--"

"Because of you, myself and my wife were able to escape the Dark Elves and live peacefully together. Because of you, we now have a beautiful daughter and a comfortable life." The stallion reached over the desk and gently closed Dean's hand around his bits. The human in question merely continued to stare at the pony.

"Take the drink, Sergeant. It's the least I can do.

"T-thank you," Dean said with a nod. His body unfroze, and he found himself at the door. His basket was in his hand once more, and the bottle of secret brandy sat nestled beside some chocolates. The pony smiled and bowed his head in return, and then scurried off down the aisle. The human watched the pony go for a moment before opening the door and stepping back out into the frigid December weather. Dean glanced to his right and then left before making his way back down the road. He remained silent as he thought of Stallions words.

Ever since winning the war, and defeating the Emperor, Dean was seen as a national hero. While it did give him a sense of accomplishment, he didn't like the amount of attention he was getting. People would stop him on the street, or in stores, or wherever he was to tell him how proud they were of him. He felt honored by the praise, but it was also a bit irritating. He was just a human, and had he not had the backing of the Resistance, and had the Guardian not stepped in, and, and and...

Dean was so lost in thought that he didn't see the snowball coming before it was too late. It splattered across his back, causing him to halt in his tracks. The sound of giggling echoed behind him.

Turning around, he caught a few of the kids from before scrambling for cover. His frown slowly morphed into a smile he caught sight of a nearby guard. He quickly stalked up to the pony, whose eyes were on him as he approached.

"Sergeant, can you take this to Captain Spitfire? Tell her to leave it in my quarters." The guard silently saluted as he took the basket of goods in his magic.

As the pony trotted away, Dean turned and faced the direction of his unsuspecting targets. He stood in the street, the only movement being his eyes. High snow banks were on either side of him, and he carefully predicted where he would strike first. His eyes flicked to the side as he caught sight of someone moving to his left. He heard a giggle and some muffled whispering. He smirked.

Carefully leaning down, his gloved hands scooped a good portion of snow from the ground, and for the second time that day, he molded his weapon of terror.

Just as the first colt poked their head over the snowbank, Dean wound his arm back, and began a snowball fight that would echo through eternity.

*****

"Where the heck have you been?! I've been waiting for you to arrive for the past hour!"

Dean cringed at the sudden volume of the voice, but he couldn't help but chuckle. There was no heat behind the tone, and Dean knew this particular pony well enough that he could tell what she was thinking before even she knew herself.

"Good afternoon to you too, hon." He replied with a smirk. He was in the process of hanging his coat from one of the pegs by the door when said pony bodily collided with his chest.

Dean gave a yelp as he flared his arms and fell onto his back. He didn't much feel anything, for his attention was on the pony lying on his chest with a warm smile.

"Hey, love." She cooed as she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. Her muzzle was right beside his neck, and her breath tickled his skin. Her fluffy chest seemed to act as a blanket as she wiggled closer to Dean's head. He smiled silently as she slowly wiggled closer, a mischievous glint entering her eyes. He noticed her tail flick, and her wings extended ever so slightly to the sides. His smile turned into a smirk as he himself decided some mischief was in order.

Before the Princess could pounce and claim her prize, Dean's arms suddenly wrapped around her back, effectively pinning her to his chest. She gave a squeal of surprise as she was lifted into the air by the human super soldier. Dean quickly crossed the room before jumping onto the couch sitting before a lovely fire. He once more fell onto his back and Twilight giggled when he stopped moving.

She gave him a brief case of puppy-dog eyes, and he conceded by letting her go. All the warning Dean got was her irises widening before she was upon him. Her lips collided with his without a moment's notice, and her wings stretched to encompass him and her both. Dean accepted the kiss with gusto, and he instinctively brought his hand up onto his marefriends back.

She purred as they made out on the couch, and Dean decided to go the next step.

His hands traced along her spine, then off to the side as he reached the Princesses flank. Just as Twilight slowly broke apart from him, he gave a firm squeeze, causing her to yelp and blush redder than a tomato. Dean chuckled as she leaned back down and nuzzled his neck tenderly... that is, until a timer went off in the kitchen.

Dean groaned as Twilight slowly sat up. She was in such a peculiar position at the moment, and it seemed she realized it too. Her eyes danced with mirth as she gave a quick wiggle of her rump against him, causing his own face to heat up.

"Heh heh, sorry stud, but I gotta get the turkey." She hopped off of her Human and seemed to Prance her way towards the kitchen. Dean watched her go in disappointment, but that changed when she looked back and wiggled her backside once more. She gave him a wink before disappearing through the doorway.

Dean laid back against the couch and closed his eyes. The warmth of the fire was slowly worming its way through his consciousness, and he was having a hard time staying awake. He gave a quiet sigh as his mind wandered.

On the morrow, the two would be making the trip down to Maritime Bay to celebrate. Twilight's friends were all coming, and so were most of the surviving members of the Resistance. It was uncanny; he hadn't celebrated Christmas in nearly nine whole years. There was no time, on Earth or in Equestria, to take the much needed break and celebrate together.

A tear traced down his face, and a sad smile came upon his face. He remembered the last time he had celebrated the holiday with his family. It was about four months before the start of the war, and everyone had come home to join them. It was the last time he had seen his parents, both of whom he didn't talk about all too much, and one of the last overly fond memories he had with his wife and kid. He recalled a particular song just then, one his entire family in front of the fire a few hours before 'Santa' came.

The lyrics came to him vividly, and he softly began to sing.

"Silent night, holy night!

All is calm, all is bright.

Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child.

Holy infant so tender and mild,

Sleep in heavenly peace,

Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!

Shepherds quake at the sight.

Glories stream from heaven afar

Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia,

Christ the Savior is born!

Christ the Savior is born

Silent night, holy night!

Son of God love's pure light.

Radiant beams from Thy holy face

With dawn of redeeming grace,

Jesus Lord, at Thy birth

Jesus Lord, at Thy birth"

Dean smiled as he stared at the roof. The flames from the fire caused shadow's to dance across the roof, and the human held a sense of longing. He had long since come to terms with the fact that he could not, and would not go back to Earth and he had finally to terms with the death of those he loved.

So why was he feeling this way?

Dean felt something bump against his arm, and he glanced over at the white cup with steam wafting out of it. He could smell the chocolaty goodness of the hot cocoa hovering beside him, and he could see a plethora of marshmallows stacked within. He smiled as he looked past the cup towards his girlfriend, who was giving him a look of understanding.

As he grabbed the cup and sat up, the Princess slowly walked over and hopped onto the couch beside him. Her head leaned against his side, and he wrapped a free hand around her, bringing her close.

"Want to talk about it?" Twilight murmured softly against his chest. Her eyes were closed, and Dean could feel her heart beating in rhythm with his own. Dean stared into the fire as he thought silently. The drink in his hand did wonders to take away whatever stress he had just been feeling.

"The last Christmas I ever witnessed was nearly eight years ago, four months before the war." Twilight hummed at his side, and he knew she was listening. "It is surreal to think that after everything I went through, after all that I have done, I'm finally at peace. I missed last Christmas, or Hearth's Warming I guess.., though I think we all did because of the damages that needed fixing.

Twilight sighed and nodded. When the Elves were freed from the Destroyer, she and Dean had to work tirelessly around the clock to bring Equestria back from the darkness. There was a food shortage at one point, and suicide rates were the highest they've ever been. They had gone through most major holidays making sure the kingdom wouldn't crumble from the war that they had no time to celebrate or rest. Now that she thought about it, it had been only a month since something major had come up, and this was the first Hearth's Warming Equestria would experience in three years. The thought of that alone brought a tear to her eye.

"Every Hearth's warming, I would gather my friends and family and we would all go skating on the lake beside Ponyville. I can remember it now, it was the first time I had ever used skates. You should have seen it, I fell on my flank so many times that I just resorted to scooting around!" They both chuckled as they pictured the obscure scene. Dean brought Twilight ever so slightly closer against him and sighed.

His face was now contorted into a smile, and a jolly light danced in his eyes. It all made sense now, why he had felt that sense of longing. This is what he had been missing: the cheerful feeling, the cozy warmth along with his significant other curled up by the fire. It had been so, so long... longer than he could remember.

"Thank you, Twi." He murmured as he held her close. She eagerly nuzzled his cheek and draped her wings around them, relishing the warmth and comfort they both created. Dean inhaled deeply, the smell of Lavender and something else reaching his nostrils. Twilight giggled happily, causing her boyfriend to smile. The twinge of exhaustion was overcoming them both, and Twilight yawned. The two stayed in the embrace, and neither had any plans to move for the rest of the night.

"Happy Hearth's Warming, love," Dean whispered softly.

Twilight gave him a soft smile and nodded.

"Merry Christmas, Dean."

...

...

...

Knock, Knock, Knock!

Dean looked at Twilight, and she looked at him. Who would be knocking at their door at this time in the evening? It was nearly sundown, and the city of Canterlot was alight with celebration. The two had no plans other than to sit by the fire and relax...

"I'll go see who it is." Dean volunteered as he moved to sit up. He heard Twilight give a light mewl in disappointment, and gave her a light scratch behind the ear. This seemed to satisfy her as he stood and made his way towards the door.

He reached forward and unlatched the bolt before opening it wide. While he was by no means in a warzone, it still helped to err on the side of caution. Should anyone have been looking to force their way in through the door, they would be met with no resistance and would have fallen through.

Dean's eyes scanned the hallway with a questioning eyebrow, not seeing anyone of note.

The Human super soldier nearly jumped out of his skin when a light cough sounded at his feet. He took a surprised step back as his eyebrows shot up and his mouth formed into the shape of an 'O'.

The pony at his feet was easily recognizable, and Dean was too flabbergasted to comment on his roughed up shape. He vaguely heard Twilight approaching from behind, and as she stood beside him, her mouth fell open as well.

"Brownie?!" They said in unison.

*****

Two hours prior...

The dirt brown Unicorn sat in the middle of the street, His hooves tightly folded across his body as he shivered in the cold breeze that blew down the dark road. His coat was worn and ragged, His mane and tail were misshapen and ruffled. His eyes held a vacant look as he stared at a spot on the ground just in front of him.

"T'was Hearth's Warming 'eve, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse..." A tear formed in his eye as he murmured the old foals tale. His mother had used to tell it to him every December, and each time he had been enthralled. Just last year, his parents had found that same tale buried in the Maritime Bay Library, and the three had read it on that cold Hearth's Warming 'eve.

"No..." he murmured once more. He couldn't think of them, not any more. They were gone, and there was nothing he could do about it. The ones he had loved, the two ponies who had cared for him, protected him, and comforted him." he shook his head from side to side, his teeth gritting as he tried to expel the memory. His teeth chattered as she shivered on the side of the road.

No one was out and about at this time, they were all at home celebrating. The sun was setting, and the sky was cast in a dull orange light .

"I... I want them back." He mumbled absentmindedly. It had happened so suddenly. His folks were going to be killed, and he would have died right alongside them. But then he had showed up. He had talked with the man over the magicomm, and he had rescued his whole town. He had promised to keep him safe, that he would be reunited with his mother and father soon.

And he did! The Human had held up to his promise! For a little while, the little colt that was Brownie had everything. He was free, he had a place to sleep in comfort, he had friends, and he had his parents...

And now he has nothing.

As he shuffled down the road, his ears drooped and a tired expression entered his eyes. He couldn't well cry, for his tears would freeze before they even had a chance to spill. He just needed a place to properly think, that was all. A... place to sit and contemplate his future.

His feet carried him to the edge of the city. He had no idea how long he had been walking, but it had obviously been a while. Below him, a ledge with a snow filled garden sat next to a frozen over pool. Beyond that, a sturdy marble wall ended the boundaries of the city. He could hear the waterfall cascading from somewhere below, and Brownie found its sound mesmerizing. He was ten years old now, but some ponies could easily mistake him for being older. The war, the death of his parents, and the trauma had shaped him in such a way that he was forced to grow up. Muscles bristled under his coat.

Brownie slowly plodded up to the edge of the wall and looked down with a solemn expression. No ponies were around, which was good, as he didn't trust himself to say anything. The thought of talking to another pony was something that he wasn't sure if he would ever be able to manage in this state of mind.

It was better that he was left alone after all. He had no friends, as they had stayed in Maritime Bay, and he was scared to go see the Sergeant. The Human had better things to do then worry about one lone colt after all. He was helping rebuild a whole kingdom along with the Princess, and they would likely not want to be bothered.

The tears finally came as he stared down the several hundred foot drop below him. His body shook with wracking sobs as he found himself remembering everything he once had. The Elves had taken everything from him, and he couldn't get any revenge. He was just a colt! A young, stupid child. He wanted his parents again, he wanted to be with them and be young again. He wanted to forget everything that had happened... he was so tired, more so than anyone his age had any right to be.

He stood on two hooves and placed his front ones on the ledge. It was Hearth's Warming, a time of love and friendship. A time when one got together with family and cuddled by the fire.

Brownie no longer had any of that. All he had was himself. He was the stupid kid, the one who had needed saving. It was him who had gotten them killed. When the house began to collapse. His father had held the burning beam long enough for his mother to throw him out of the window. Then there was an explosion, and he had lost consciousness.

It was his fault.

It was all his fault.

...

...

Something landed softly to his side and just behind him. He heard whomever it was ghost up and lean against the barrier. Out of his peripherals, he could make out what appeared to be a humanoid figure wearing a large coat and a strange hat. His arms were crossed as he leaned against the barrier, and his eyes stared out into the distance.

"What do you want... a-are you an Elf?" Brownie asked meekly from his seat. The fact that those wretched beings were allowed to stay and help repair the country sickened him. They all deserved to burn, all of them. He had let a bit of anger slip through into his voice, but the fear was evident. He slowly shied away from the being beside him, his ears flattening against his head.

"No, I'm not." Brownie's head slowly turned to regard the figure standing there. Confusion entered his mind first, then apprehension as he realized what it was. The ears and clothing gave it away pretty easily.

"Y-you're a Human!" He gasped out. His prior thoughts were momentarily put on the backburner as he gazed at the man in wonder. As far as Brownie knew, Dean was the only one! He needed to inform someone!

"Hold it, kid." The being chuckled merrily as he held up his hand, "I'm an Archangel, not a Human, but also a Human... It's complicated. My name is the Guardian, but you can call me Sam." Sam smiled lightly and crouched down. "What's yours?"

Brownie's mouth flapped for a moment as he slowly retracted away from the ledge. Everything was quiet except for the waterfall far below. The sound didn't sound so inviting now, and Brownie shivered as he came to the realization of what he was about to do. He gulped as he averted his gaze from both the Archangel and the ledge. He gently pawed at the ground and shook his head.

"I-I.. I'm Brownie." Faust, he sounded like a child. Sure he was one, but it sure didn't feel like it. "It... it's nice to meet you." He mumbled.

Sam smiled and sat down in the snow, his back leaning against the wall as he took a breath. His eyes sparkled with mirth as he regarded the little brown Unicorn sitting in front of him. His smile never left his face, and Brownie felt a sense of comfort all around him. This individual before him was different... powerful. However, unlike the suffocating feeling he had been told to expect among strong magic users, this one was more of a warm and gentle feeling. He felt a tear fall from his eye as happy thoughts entered his head, and he hurriedly wiped it away.

Sam frowned.

"Is something bothering you, Brownie?" He asked quietly. He didn't move so much as a muscle, and the kindness in his eyes was so inviting. Brownie realized that he had not talked to anyone about his feelings in nearly a whole year. Not since... not since the incident.

"H-how can I t-trust you?" The colt sniffled as he regarded Sam warrily. He couldn't be too sure, not in this day and age. Sam smiled and shrugged.

"Well, that's for you to decide. I could tell you that I am a good friend of the Princess, or that I am the one hosting tomorrow's festivities, but in the end, it's you who has to make the decision to just... open up."

Brownie sniffled once more as his body was wracked with sobs once more. Without realizing, he suddenly found himself in a warm embrace. Two arms wrapped around him carefully and softly. Brownie buried his head into Sam's chest and wept, all the while the Archangel held him there, acting as support.

After a moment, Brownie's feelings began to return to normal, and he gently scooted away from the Archangel. Sam let him go without a word and returned to just looking at him again with kind eyes.

"I read that Hearth's Warming is a time to celebrate the unification of the Ponies, and how they overcame the odds. However, there was another tidbit that I couldn't help but notice. It is a time to celebrate with friends and family, and a time to let worries pass. Technically, I guess it's a rebirth into a new season that will hopefully be better than the last. Why are you out here, all alone?"

Brownie sighed and looked towards the setting sun. It was nearly behind the far off mountains and he could see that twilight was nearly upon them. It was going to get cold soon, very cold.

"I have nowhere else to go." He whispered gently. "I have no friends here, no family, and all I feel is... is this rage. It was my fault that I have nothing, it's my fault my family died. I-I figured..." He didn't finish.

"You figured that you wanted to see them again, that maybe, because you had nothing here, you would gain something by being by their side again."

Brownie looked up in surprise as the Guardian finished his sentence for him. The Archangel was no longer smiling, and instead sported a sad, understanding look. Brownie's mouth fell open as he stared at the Guardian, not daring to speak.

Sam, for his part, let out a sigh and gently stood up. With a quick thought, whatever wetness he had garnered on his rear was wiped away. He crossed his arms before smiling again.

"Come with me, Brownie. I have something for you." He began walking, albeit at a slow pace so the colt could keep up. No one his age should have suffered the way he had, lost what he had lost. It was like staring at a reflection almost, and Sam's heart went out to the poor boy.

He could sense the little pony following behind him after a second of hesitation and smiled. He had merely been passing by for the sheer fun of it, but he had noticed Brownie all by his lonesome with a downtrodden expression. He had followed the young pony all the way to the edge of the city, where he found him ready to make his mistake. The same mistake Sam had nearly made.

At the moment, he was invisible to everyone except the colt, but he didn't need to know that. He would make himself seen when they approached their destination

The two strolled past party goers, ponies singing carols, and houses full to the brim with Hearth's Warming celebration in full swing. Brownie was constantly at Sam's side, his eyes wandering around in wonder. Sam chuckled as he looked at the scenery. It reminded him of home, and how much fun he was going to have with Amy upon his return... if she didn't kill him first for temporarily freezing the universe.

"Where are we going, Sam?" Brownie quietly asked as he looked up at the towering Archangel. Sam smirked and gestured forward.

"To the castle. I need to pay my old friend a visit." Brownie merely nodded and continued walking. The two continued on for a few more minutes when Brownie suddenly stopped. Sam also halted and turned to face the colt with a questioning look, but the little Unicorn wasn't paying him any mind. No, he was looking through the glass of a nearby shop. Sam switched his gaze and noticed a spectacular looking gingerbread house sitting on a display table. Gumdrops decorated the edges of the roof and icing caked the open spaces between candy canes. Pieces of thinly sliced and curled chocolates were sprinkled above, and licorice in the form of smoke wafted from the cookie chimney. Sam's stomach rumbled just looking at it.

"My... my dad and I would make those all the time." Brownie sniffled as he approached the glass. The Guardian watched from afar as the colt layed a hoof on the window frame and peered through with a mellow expression. A family was currently inside the store, and a filly not much older than Brownie was pointing at the gingerbread house. Sam saw the parents nod their heads, and the filly raced towards the treat, but before she could pluck it, her eyes caught sight of Brownie. She only spared a second before she snatched the house and trotted back to her parents. Brownie hung his head and walked back to the Guardian's side, his ears drooped.

"Let's just go, I'm sure you have important things to do after you show me whatever it is you want to show me." The Guardian nodded silently, but did not move. A smile slowly crept onto his face as he continued to face the store.

"Guardian?"

Silence.

There was a ring, and the sound of hoof steps approaching from behind. Brownie turned around, his mouth falling open in surprise as the filly from before slowly walked up to him with a little paper bag in her mouth. When she was nearly three feet away, she dropped the bag on her waiting hoof and held it out to the stunned colt. A kind smile as well as a blush decorated her cheeks as she regarded Brownie.

"You looked sad, so I got you a cookie." Her voice was quiet, but Brownie found it quite cute. Her pink mane fell down along her side, braided and gleaming. Her orange coat seemed to shine in the evening light, and a pretty red bow sat upon the back of her head.

"T-thank you. Thank you very much." Brownie grabbed the bag in his magic and a smile appeared on his face. He still held the gloomy look, but his spirits were now starting to lighten.

"My name's Sandy, Sandy Shine. What's yours?" She batted her eyelashes. Sandy's parents watched from the door, talking to each other as they waited for their daughter.

"M-my name is Brownie." the colt stuttered and mentally kicked himself.

"Well, Brownie, I hope to see you around soon. I hear there is a festival happening tomorrow in Maritime Bay that everypony is going to... maybe I'll see you there?" She blushed as Brownie dumbly nodded.

"Y-yeah, I'll see you there Sandy. Happy Hearth's Warming." He smiled a genuine smile, and so did Sandy as she turned to go.

"Happy Hearth's Warming to you, Brownie!" She chirped.

As Brownie turned, he felt a pang in his chest. A warmth was spreading throughout his body, and an emotion he hadn't felt since... Well, he didn't know the last time, but it was there. His eyes seemed a little brighter than before as he trotted up to Sam, his cookie in his magical grasp. Sam chuckled.

"You ponies are so adorable." he commented, causing Brownie to blush.

"Let's get going." He managed to squeak out, causing Sam to chuckle.

"Sure thing Casanova."

Brownie didn't know what a 'Casanova' was, so he ignored the remark and plodded along with a pep in his step. He happily munched on his cookie as the two walked in comfortable silence. There was one instance where a pony handing out strange red hats trimmed with white fluff along with a pompom on top stopped the two. Brownie had asked what the meaning of the hat was, but the pony said that it was a Human thing the Sergeant had ordered to be sold. It was a means to boost morale and get people into the holiday spirit apparently, and once the two had departed (Brownie was given a hat), the Guardian had a good chuckle at the fact that Dean was already influencing society.

"What do you mean by that?" the colt asked as they continued on. The pompom on the end of his hat bounced with his steps, and he gave his head a good shake to make it wave wildly through the air.

"Well, that hat is actually a part of Human culture, and Dean, being the leader he is, is already starting to bring in some of his ideas. Did you notice the new armor the guards were wearing? Or maybe the reutilized vehicles prowling the streets? Most of those were Dean's ideas."

"Whoa, I guess he is really busy if he is doing all that." Brownie jumped to the side as snow from a ledge collapsed right where he had been standing. A second sooner and he would have turned into a snow-pony!

"Heh, not as much as you think. Though it is true, he has a lot of work, he manages to make time for other things... at least from what I've observed while here.... Oh, are those powdered donuts!?

*****

After another thirty minutes of walking, the two came to the steps of the royal palace and stopped before the two guards on duty.

"What are we doing here?" Brownie asked as he looked up towards Sam. The Human shrugged and raised an eyebrow.

"My friend lives here, and I figured you could join us in a bit of holiday cheer. He's a good guy; I think you'll like him." The Guardian pulled his sleeve back and revealed what appeared to be a watch. His smile turned devious as he looked at the two guards.

"Watch this." Sam whispered before promptly disappearing from view. Brownie scurried back in shock as his companion literally vanished before his eyes, and his actions drew the attention of the two guards on duty. One of them stepped forward to help the colt out of the snow, but he would never get the chance.

"BOO!"

Sam's voice echoed across the street, scaring the absolute tartarus out of the Guard and Brownie. The guard screamed like a filly and jumped straight in the air before crashing to the ground in a heap.

As the second guard lowered her spear, Sam revealed himself, roaring with laughter and floating through the air above the guard.

"Oh, oh that is too good!"

Brownie looked between the disheveled guard and his companion before shaking his head and letting out a chuckle. While the disappearance had been sudden, the outcome of Sam's prank was indeed humorous.

"Well, if it isn't our favorite oaf of a demi-god." A raspy voice called from above. Sam had just landed, but he did not anticipate the heap of snow that was suddenly dumped on him. Brownie's earlier chuckle became a full on laugh as he rolled on the ground. Snow was piled on Sam's head and shoulders, his face held a bemused look, and water dripped from his ears.

"I'll be getting you back for that, Spitfire." The pegasus in question floated down and snickered as she regarded the Archangel. The two had met at the celebration a few days after the fall of the Dark Elves, and became quick friends when Spitfire beat Sam in a drinking competition.

"Oh don't be such a sour-puss." She blew a raspberry at him before facing the little colt on the ground. Brownie had calmed down by this point and was staring at Spitfire in awe. He had never met her in pony, and she was just amazing as the stories had described her.

"Careful, squirt, your mouth will get stuck like that." Brownie's mouth closed with a clack as the Captain of the Wonderbolts chuckled. She turned around again and motioned to the first guard to open the door, to which she did with a role of her eyes.

"You two stay out of trouble. It's mighty cold, and a few Windigo's were sighted a few hours ago near the edge of the city. I gotta run, but I'll catch you both at the party tomorrow. Spitfire waved at them with her wing before shooting off into the sky. Brownie felt a tap on his shoulder as the Guardian chuckled.

"C'mon, kid, we're nearly there." Brownie nodded and trotted in alongside his companion... no, his friend. The Guardian had been nothing short of a friend to him. So much so, that any depression he may have once had was all but gone. However, there was still a nagging question burning in his mind, and now that they were alone, it was the perfect time to ask it.

"Sam?" The man stopped and looked down at the pony before him. He saw a hint of fear in those comically large eyes, and the colt's tail was tucked firmly around his waist.

"Yes, Brownie?" Sam crouched down so that he was at the colts level. His kind and caring eyes seemed to cause the colt a sense of comfort, and he let out a shaky breath.

"Why did you help me?"

There was silence. Dead silence.

Sam's mouth went from a smile to a thin, contemplative line. His head slowly tilted to the side as he analyzed the child. Once more, it seemed like a literal reflection was staring back at him. He hoped what he was about to say would help push the child that much closer to the light.

"Brownie, when I look at you... I see myself." Brownie's head cocked to the side as he looked at Sam. The man could see the question forming on the child's lips and held up a hand.

"When I was about seventeen years old, I lost everything. I watched as my family died in front of me, and I was filled with rage. There had been nothing I could do to stop it, and it nearly destroyed me. I was where you were an hour and a half ago, on that ledge. I was ready to give up." Sam sighed and looked away with a wistful smile. "It ended up being my friend's that pulled me back from the edge and kept me from making the greatest mistake of my life." he reached over and gently began scratching behind Brownie's ear, causing the pony to hum in content. Sam smiled as he continued.

"You were on that ledge, Brownie, and I knew that you needed a friend. I see a lot of potential in you, kid, and I'm sure your parents would say the same thing if they were here. I heard someone say, once, that when we are at our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. I think that you are changed, Brownie, and I think that you are bound for greatness."

Sam stood up as the little pony processed his words. His lips moved without any sound, and his ears flicked every so often. Sam merely waited and watched, hoping his words had made some sort of impact.

He barely saw the little brown pony suddenly jump from the floor and latch around his torso, but he couldn't help but smile as he felt tears begin to wet his shirt under the coat.

"T-thank you, Sam. Thank you for being my friend." Sam stroked the colts back and hummed.

"You are welcome, Brownie. Now, let's get going shall we?" Brownie was gently placed upon the floor, and the two continued walking towards their intended destination. Brownie had a feeling he knew where they were going, but since he was with Sam, he wasn't really opposed to it.

The two walked down the furnished hallways and passed various castle servants and maids. Brownie gazed about in wonder and awe, and Sam quietly whistled with his hands in his pockets.

Finally, after another two minutes, the two stopped in front of a large door. It was pretty plain in its design, but was noticeably bigger than any of the other doors in the hallway. A wreath hung from the knocker, and Brownie could see little bells and a mistletoe hanging from the frame far above him. It was quite the decorating job for such a simple design.

Brownie jumped when Sam crouched down beside him again. His smile was still shining, and his eyes seemed to twinkle. The little colt turned and faced the Guardian with an inquisitive look.

"I'm going to have to leave you now, I have very important matters to attend to and a few evil spirits to destroy." Brownie's ears drooped as he looked at the floor.

"S-so, this is it then? I won't see you again?" Fear and heartbreak broke through Brownie's voice, and a small sense of betrayal entered his heart. Was the Guardian not his friend? Was he not important enough? Maybe--

"Brownie, Brownie, Brownie!" Sam chuckled and booped the colts snoot, causing him to crinkle his muzzle adorably. "I'll be seeing you tomorrow at the festival! I wasn't kidding when I said I was hosting it, and I plan on making sure it'll be a blast. I have a feeling that Dean here will take good care of you tonight, and that tomorrow, you will have the most fun you've ever had in your life."

Sam stood and knocked on the door rather loudly before smiling down at the stupefied colt.

"If you need me, for any reason, call my name. I will hear you, and I will come to you in a heartbeat. Goodbye for now, Brownie, and Happy Hearth's Warming." Sam suddenly vanished from sight, almost as if he was never there. Brownie's frown turned into a sad smile as he thought about the last hour or so he had spent with the Guardian.

Just as the door opened behind him, he came to the conclusion that he had needed the Guardian then and there, and that he should take the opportunity that was now presented to him. He turned around, only to find a pair of legs obscuring his vision. His gaze continued upwards to reveal a massive torso, two arms, and a very recognizable face.

Brownie gave a light cough followed by a pleasant, not at all forced smile. He watched as Sergeant Dean Forrester, the Human, looked down at him in shock and surprise. The Human's mouth was left hanging open for several seconds before a familiar purple alicorn appeared behind him. Her eyes also widened in surprise before they both spoke in Unison.

"Brownie!?" He cringed at the volume and chuckled nervously as he pawed at the ground.

"H-hey Dean, hey Princess." He whispered.

For a second, he was afraid that the Human would close the door on him, but Brownie gave a surprised yelp when purple magic engulfed his body and dragged him through the open door. He suddenly found himself being assaulted by a certain Princess's complaints and chidding as she gave his whole body a critical eye. Her hooves prodded his skinny torso and flicked through his mane as she talked at mach one.

"Brownie! What happened to you? Why are you so skinny? You look so unhealthy! You poor thing, you must be so cold and hungry!"

There was a flash of light and Brownie suddenly found himself sitting at a chair in front of a dinner table. A glance to his left showed Twilight was now routing around in the fridge, almost frantically, as she looked for suitable food.

Dean suddenly appeared in the doorway and leaned against the frame as he gave his marefriend a bemused look. Brownie giggled quietly as he watched the lavender mare fumble with an apple with her hooves before catching it in her magic. She then proceeded to trot over to the little colt and place the fruit in front of him. Brownie stared at the red piece of deliciousness with a salivating mouth, his eyes going wide as he gazed upon its splendor. He had been in Canterlot since the celebration after the war, and had been staying in an orphanage that had been housing the many foals in need of a roof. Thinking back, he realized that he had been purposely hurting himself. He hardly ate, hardly slept, and avoided everyone in the orphanage. A small bout of shame crossed his mind, but it was quickly pushed aside as he eagerly bit into the apple.

"So, Brownie, I'm glad to see you are all right. What brings you to our door?" Dean was now sitting across from him, Twilight stood to his left. The question wasn't aggressive in any way, and Dean's voice even held a tint of amusement. Brownie looked a bit closer at the Human and realized that behind the jovial tone, his body language radiated concern.

"I.. I uhm..." He thought of what to say to the Human hero of Equestria. He couldn't very well just state he had been about to throw himself off the mountain now could he? No, he would be honest, but not to that degree. "I... I wasn't having a very good Hearth's Warming, and a friend found me over near the edge of Canterlot. He brought me here after taking me around the city."

'Where am I going with this?'

The anxiousness and depression were slowly returning to the little unicorn as his thoughts grew darker and darker. Maybe Sam had been wrong. Maybe coming here was a bad idea.

"Let me guess, the Guardian found you?"

Brownie was snapped from his musings when Dean's soft voice seemed to echo through the room. His mouth hung open in shock as he regarded the Human. How could he have known?

"H-how did you know that?" he asked.

Dean chuckled while Twilight walked over to the coffee maker and started it up.

"He gave me a call before you two got here. That Archangel has a knack for doing strange things. Though, I bet he had a reason to bring you here if his message was anything to go by. Why are you not with Miss. Peregrine or the other kids your age? I heard they were going to the park today to learn how to skate?"

Brownie rubbed his leg with a hoof as he looked at the floor.

"I wasn't wanting to intrude, and... and I was in a pretty bad frame of mind. I wanted to be alone, is all." There was silence after his confession, and Brownie's ears folded against his head as a tear appeared in his eye. "Look, I-I didn't want to bother you two, a-and I feel like I shouldn't be here.... I-I should go." Brownie sniffled and hopped off his seat before anyone could react and padded towards the door. Half the apple remained on the table. Mrs. Peregrine was likely worrying already, and he had to be responsible for his own actions. He was independent, now that his family was gone. He was all on his own, and he only had himself to get through this.

"Brownie..." he heard the understanding in Dean's voice. It was the same one the Guardian had. If there was anyone who knew what Brownie was going through, it was Dean. The little pony knew this well enough, but his idea of not wanting to intrude was getting in the way. His emotions had been running on a high the last two hours, and he was suddenly very very tired. He just wanted to feel loved, to feel his father's or Mother's embrace. He wanted to be normal again.

Brownie turned and ran at Dean. The man had crouched down, and as the little pony ran towards him, he could see the tears spilling from his eyes. His worry deepened as he embraced the colt and held him close. He had an idea of what was going through Brownie's head, and he blamed himself for the situation the young boy found himself in. Had he been five minutes sooner, or had he not left when he had... then the boy's parents would probably still be alive.

Twilight suddenly knelt down beside the two and wrapped her wings around them, providing a comfortable blanket of feathers and warmth. Dean rocked the colt in his arms gently, making sure Brownie knew he was there as a means of support. The Guardian had warned him about this, and Dean couldn't help but scowl darkly at his lack of strength. The war was over a year ago, but the scars still ran deep. He was doing his best alongside Twilight to fix everything, but there was so much that they couldn't get to on time.

Thank goodness for trenchcoat/ball cap wearing demigods.

The sound of light snoring caused Twilight and Dean to smile; the former gently plucked the sleeping colt from Dean's arms with her magic.

"Poor guy must be all tuckered out." Twilight giggled softly as she kissed Dean on the cheek. The human gave a hum of agreement and slowly stood up, his back cracking as he did so.

"I think we should put him to bed. I'll call Mrs. Peregrine and let her know Brownie is safe." Dean walked over to the old dial phone on the wall, but stopped before he could reach for it, a shiver ran up his spine. A smirk worked its way onto his face as the feeling passed.

"Y'know, you would make a good spirit from a "Christmas Carol" the way you are doing these things." Dean heard a chuckle from the table and faced the Guardian. His trench coat was now a gray and white camouflage along his hat, and a set of dark brown gloves sat beside him on the table. Besides these few differences, Dean's friend still held that jovial smile.

"I probably would, though, I don't think people would be too happy about me appearing beside them and taking them on fantastical trips through the past, present, and future."

Both men chuckled and Dean shook his head.

"I'm sorry for dumping him on you two like that. I had so much to do and not enough time. I know you and Twilight had some things planned for the night, but I do hope you can forgive me."

Dean sighed and shook his head in sincerity.

"Think nothing of it, Sam. I've already asked a lot of you by having you here, and I can't thank you enough for saving that boy's life. He was actually one of the first ponies I liberated upon coming to this world believe it or not."

Sam frowned and stood up.

Dean cocked his head to the side as the demigod suddenly snapped his fingers, and a large burlap sack appeared beside him. The Human had a sneaking suspicion as to what Sam was doing, and couldn't help but agree that it may be a good idea. Brownie needed cheering up, and what better way to do it than with a gift from Santa?

"I'll leave these things here, but I didn't have time to wrap them. Hope the kid likes them." Sam placed a perplexus maze, a teddy bear with a neat red bowtie, and four long, flat snowshoes designed for a pony. Dean whistled and smiled.

"I've gotta run, but I'll see you tomorrow." Sam snapped the bag away once more, and with a wave, he seemingly vanished. Dean blinked as hoovesteps quietly made their way to the kitchen, and turned to find his girlfriend.

Twilight had a sad frown adjourning her face as she walked up to Dean and nuzzled his hand. He opened his fingers and gently began to scratch between her ears, causing her to hum and smile softly.

"It's not fair what happened to that poor colt." Twilight mumbled, a tear in her eye. Her whole persona seemed to droop as she said those words, and Dean smiled as he stared at the toys on the counter.

"Twi, I think I have a way to cheer the little fella up." He pointed to the toys with his free hand and Twilight's eyes widened as she caught sight of the toys. Her magic ignited, and the six objects floated in front of her. Her eyes examined each trinket thoroughly as they levitated in her grasp.

Dean stopped his petting and quietly moved to a nearby closet. Upon opening it, he found the item he was looking for: wrapping paper. The paper itself was red with green stripes, and little decorations of wreaths were spaced evenly apart across the surface.

It would be perfect.

The two spent about ten minutes wrapping the presents and idly chatting about little nothings. While the appearance of Brownie had somewhat dampened the mood, neither the Human nor the Princess strayed from their task. Both felt for the little colt, and how one so young could go through so much. He needed cheering up, and once this Hearth's Warming was over, Dean and Twilight both swore they would begin a campaign to better the lives of all the displaced children following the war.

When the presents were wrapped, the two placed them in a small stack next to the dying fire; far enough away so as not to get burnt, but close enough that it would be aesthetically pleasing. Dean hummed in thought as he looked at the three gifts and his right hand found its way around his girlfriend. Twilight giggled as she was picked up and placed on the couch. Dean quickly followed suit and sat down before reaching behind him and grabbing a blanket. Their room only had one bed, and that bed was currently occupied by a certain colt.

As the fire died down before them, the Human and the Princess eventually dozed off into a comfortable sleep. Their forms could be seen in the dying light, and the flickering fire seemed to cast shadows across the room. After another two hours, the room finally went dark.

...

...

...

A wisp of light traveled through the night sky far above the Earth. It moved too slowly to be the Archangel, and not a single creature noticed it as it seemed to wander into hundreds of homes all at the same time. Little twinkles accompanied this wisp,, and the barely noticeable sound of a jingle could be heard resonating through the air.

A strand from the wisp suddenly came through the window of Brownie's room. It stopped before the colt and reared up, almost as if it were analyzing the sleeping pony. It watched as the young child whimpered in his sleep and flipped onto his side. His ears were pinned, and tears slowly traced down his eyes.

After a moment, a small strand seemed to break off from the streak of ethereal light and entered into the pony's mind. It took less than a second for the colts frown to turn to a smile as pleasant thoughts and dreams wracked his very being. The wisp, its first task done, entered into the main living room. It saw the two sleeping figures on the couch and used the same method on them.

Once this was done... it got to work.

*****

Brownie's eyes slowly opened, his body feeling light and peaceful. He felt as though he was ten pounds lighter, and not a single dark thought could make its way to the forefront of his mind. For the first time in a year, it was blank.

The colt sat up in his bed, the sheets seeming like they weighed nothing as they slid from his body. Brownie had a routine to keep, so he slowly got out from under the sheets and promptly jumped from the bed. His brain seemed to go on autopilot as he moved to the washroom to do his business. He didn't outright notice it, but a relaxed smile never seemed to leave his face.

Upon leaving the washroom, clarity suddenly struck him like a hammer. His eyes widened as he wildly looked around the unfamiliar room, his mind not quite registering all that took place the night before. His tail tucked between his legs as his breaths became shaky and erratic.

'Focus, Brownie... focus.'

Closing his eyes and forcing himself to breath, Brownie found that his surroundings were silent. Memories from last night slowly resurfaced, causing him to grimace as he recalled the last minute rescue by the Guardian. However, his grimace soon turned into a small frown as he realized whose room he was in, and how there was only one bed.

Because of him, Twilight and Dean were forced to sleep on the couch.

This thought put a dampener on Brownie's mood, and the little colt slowly plodded towards the closed door of the bedroom. If he was lucky, the two were still asleep and he could sneak out.

Brownie quietly nudged the door open and was quite pleased when it didn't squeak. Upon poking his head through the opening, he couldn't help but catch his breath.

Everything had changed. Absolutely everything.

Green garland intertwined with what appeared to be sparkles were arrayed around the mantle of the fireplace, a big red bow sitting dead in the center. A wreath hung above the main window to the room, and Brownie could make out some kind of uniquely pointed star sitting at the bottom. What appeared to be giant socks hung from the mantle below the garland, their odd shapes giving away the fact they were packed full of many different things.

Brownie's jaw dropped when he saw the tree.

It was sitting in the corner of the room, but its bushy needles and healthy branches made it seem welcoming and festive. Tinsel decorated each and every square inch of the branches, and some kind of golden streamer wrapped all the way around the tree itself. Various decorations ranging from shiney and decorative balls to candy canes hung from front to back on the pine.

Tears welled in Brownie's eyes as a happy smile spread across his mouth. Something about the whole setup screamed comfort, love, and festivity. It was so imposing in fact, that Brownie failed to notice a small yawn come from the couch. There was a quick catch of breath followed by erratic whispering. Ever so slowly two heads appeared above the edge of the couch and landed on the stupefied colt.

Twilight smiled as she saw the look on Brownie's face, and she could feel more than see the smile on Dean's as well. She had no idea how any of these decorations got into the room, but for the time being, she wasn't going to question it. It seemed that Dean held the same idea as he gently pulled her against his chest and gave her a quick peck on her cheek. Twilight giggled as she turned and returned the gesture before switching her gaze back to the colt of the moment. Brownie had taken a few steps forward and was now standing directly beside the tree. His gaze traveled around its base before stopping on a small wrapped box sitting before him. His eyes seemed to widen when he read the little tag sitting on top.

Slowly, Dean stood from his spot on the couch, causing it to creak. Brownie's ears swiveled towards him on their own accord, and this was quickly followed by his whole head. His eyes landed on Dean as the Human sat down beside him with a kind smile. Brownie's shocked look turned to content as Dean placed his hand on his head and ruffled his mane.

"Whaddya' say we open some presents?"

And in that moment, Brownie's life changed forever.

*****

Brownie smiled as snowflakes passed by him. The "Skiff" as Dean called it, flew quickly through the air on its way to Maritime Bay. Its glass dome protected the occupants inside from the frigid weather and kept the interior at just above room temperature. Brownie had never ridden on one of these machines before, but doing so was quite something. Never before had he moved so fast at such a high altitude. There were two guards sitting on either end of the machine, and Dean and Twilight sat on cushioned benches off to the side. Spike and his girlfriend sat on the other side of the enclosed space and were fast asleep. The driver, a Unicorn mare by the name of Swifty Skies, piloted their vehicle towards their destination. Brownie drew himself away from the window and trotted over to Dean and Twilight.

"-three times, and I still can't get over their resemblance to those Asgardian boats!" A childlike glee sparkled in Dean's eyes as he smiled. He had been a big fan of the Marvel comics back when he was a kid, and his parents had taken him to see some of the first MCU movies. His inner fanboy screamed in elation every time he got to ride one of these flying boats, and his ramblings only slightly annoyed the mare sitting beside him.

"So you've said for the last hour, Dean." Twilight rolled her eyes as she leaned against her Human. A relaxed expression came across her as she sighed. They would be landing in a few minutes now, and she couldn't wait to see her friends again. They had held monthly meet ups since the end of the war, but due to her constant work, something had always seemed off whenever they were together. She hoped that this celebration would allow them all to relax and have fun together like the old times.

"Sorry, Twi. I got ahead of myself." Dean wrapped his arm around her, causing her to hum in happiness and snuggle closer. She had found out that Dean was surprisingly warm without his armor and relished the fact every chance she got. It was even better when they cuddled together.

"S'okay..." she mumbled cutely as her eyes drifted closed.

"Prepare for landing!"

Twilight realized she had been dozing off and quickly opened them in response to the booming shout of the Captain. It seemed that Spike and his Marefriend didn't fare any better as the former yelped in surprise. His marefriend bopped him on the nose, causing the teenage dragon to snort before he glared at her in mock irritation.

Twilight giggled at their antics before her focus shifted to Brownie. The little stallion was playing around with his perplexus ball, his tongue sticking from his muzzle in a cute manner as he focused intently on the maze-like contraption with intent. He had let Twilight try the maze once a few hours ago, and after the third attempt, she had gone into a rage filled rant about how unfair and stupid the device was.

Both Dean and Brownie had a good chuckle over that one.

Her coltfriend suddenly stood up beside her and groaned as he stretched to his full height. Twilight couldn't help but ogle him as his massive muscles showed through his shirt. She could see his massive arms flex and stretch along with his pectorals. She could almost see his abs through his shirt, and suddenly, her mind began imagining him standing above her in bed, his massive strong body ready to take her away and...

A quiet cough snapped the Princess from her musings and she quickly blushed as Dean gazed at her in loving amusement. Seeing his Marefriend get all flushed and flustered brought great amusement, and he swore that one day she would give him a cuteness induced heart attack.

The flying machine slowly came to a stop before touching down on the snowy courtyard of the fort. Dean could see through the window the amount of guards standing at attention in long lines near the exit ramp and sighed. While it was proper protocol, he was more than capable of protecting his mate. A certain Pegasus Captain was going to get a chewing out later, he was certain.

"Alright everyone, thank you for flying with Canterlot airlines! Please be sure to leave us a review, and we hope you enjoyed the flight!"

Dean rolled his eyes as he grabbed his and Twilight's bags. His own personal armor was adjourned for the moment, along with his pistol. He wouldn't need the exo-suit, and he certainly didn't need his rifle for such a trip. Twilight and Brownie followed behind him, the latter seeming to try and stay out of view. Upon walking down the ramp, Dean was welcomed by an ungodly amount of ponies cheering and hollering for both him and the Princess. He smiled down at his girlfriend as she blushed from the amount of attention. Brownie was nearly tucked between the Humans legs by this point and was shaking like a leaf. His gaze was pointed towards the town, and Dean knew exactly what was on his mind. However, Before he could address that concern, he had to kick the festivities off.

"People of Maritime Bay!" The crowd grew quiet and Dean smiled at the hundreds of adorable, large eyes of the ponies staring at him. "You all know what day it is! It is a time of celebration with your friends and family. It is a time for you all to be happy. Let the festivities begin!" Dean's shout was followed by a cacophonous cheer as ponies departed and went about their activities. The Guardian had been busy it seemed, and Dean could see the Archangel himself hovering above the town hall, looking at him. The human turned and crouched down beside the little brown Unicorn.

"Brownie?" The colt's eyes found his, and a small tear traced down his cheek. Dean sighed before reaching forward and wrapping the kid in a hug. Brownie was silent, but Dean could feel the tears pouring from his eyes. He should have known this place would bring back bad memories for the colt, and he cursed himself for not taking his feelings into consideration sooner.

After about thirty seconds, Brownie slowly detached himself from Dean and wiped the tears away from his face. The human was surprised to note the happy smile on the colt's face. Had he been wrong in his assumption? Was Brownie actually crying from tears of joy rather than loss?

"I know what you are thinking, Dean. Brownie sniffled and looked back towards the town. "My parents died over there by the cliff in order to rescue me, and I should be feeling saddened just being here. But..." He looked at Dean in the eyes and smiled. "...Because of you, Twilight, and Sam, I feel as though I shouldn't be sad. I feel that my parents are watching me right now, and that they would want me to be happy with this new opportunity. If it wasn't for all of you, my friends, I wouldn't be here right now. So... what I'm trying to say is.... well... thank you!" Brownie lunged at Dean and suddenly wrapped around him in a hug. The human wore a shocked expression before his own smile appeared along with a tear in his eye. He looked over and saw Twilight in the same state. He gestured her forward, and she gladly wrapped her wings around the two in a comforting and warm hug. The colt sighed in content, not wanting to break the hug.

"Uh... B-Brownie?" A young filly called from beside them. Dean heard Brownie gasp and proceeded to let go of the colt. Brownie himself gasped and jumped in the air, his eyes wide in a look that Dean couldn't identify. Twilight smiled and stepped over to Dean's side as a cute young filly with a bow stood in the snow. A pink fuzzy scarf wrapped around her neck, and the end of her tail was wrapped in an elastic not so different from the way Applejack used to wear hers.

"Sandy? H-hey!" Brownie took a hesitant step forwards and awkwardly raised his hood in a half-wave. His mouth was split between a smile and a grimace as his cheeks began to flush in embarrassment. Sandy giggled at his look and smiled with mirth as her tail flicked behind her.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come into town with me? There's a cool person in town called a 'Santa Claus', and we can get a photo with him together if you want?" She tilted her head and blinked her eyelashes, a blush of her own decorating her cheeks. Brownie gulped and nodded his head.

"S-sure, just let me ask Dean first." Brownie turned to Dean and gave the Human a questioning look. Dean merely chuckled and nodded his head.

"Go ahead, lad."

Brownie gave a quiet squee before trotting up to Sandy. The filly herself looked happy herself, and Dean couldn't help but feel joy for the both of them, especially Brownie. This is what was supposed to happen on Hearths' Warming/Christmas: love, fun, and joy.

Twilight leaned on Dean's side and hummed in content. There was still lots of work to be done still around the kingdom, but today was going to be a good one full of high morale, happiness, and celebration. She snuck a glance at her stallion and internally smiled. She loved him very much, and he loved her all the same. They both knew what they wanted, and both were ready. Maybe... maybe if all worked out... they could get a foal of their own? Twilight had always wanted a foal; someone young to love and cherish. Her eyes flicked to Brownie who was standing on his two back legs as he reenacted something for Sandy, the filly in question giggling at his antics.

Twilight shook her head; she was thinking too far ahead. Dean and her were waiting for the Kingdom to settle down first, then they would do the same with each other. This was no time to dwell on the future... It was a time for fun and games! She felt Dean stand up, and she quickly got to her hooves as well with a happy smile. Time to start the--

POOF!

Twilight yelped as a snowball smacked her in the hindquarters, causing her to jump in the air and tuck her tail between her legs. She was about to turn and face her attacker when a second snow ball flew past her and impacted Dean square in the chest. The human looked down at the ball of snow, then looked towards the snow bank from whence it came. His eyes narrowed as both he and Twilight caught sight of a Rainbow blur. Quiet giggling from what sounded like multiple ponies sounded from behind a large snowbank, and Twilight's demeanor only Brightened even more.

Twilight looked at Dean, and he looked at her. Both grinned mischievously.

Without a second thought, both took off like a shot. Their movements were like a well synchronized machine as he went left and she went right in a flanking maneuver. Her magic began collecting snow into a large boulder, and his hands reached down faster than the blink of an eye and created two snowballs; one for each hand. There was a yelp of surprise and a cry of warning, but it was too late. The Princess and the Human descended on the unsuspecting ponies, and thus started the great Maritime Bay snowball war.

This Hearth's Warming was only getting started...

1