Chapter 51: Awakening
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"AGHHH!!" Dean screamed as he jumped into the air and swung his fist. The person attacking him yelped in surprise, and the blow glanced off of metal armor.

The Human gave no room for his enemy to recuperate, and faster than a bullet, jumped off of the chariot and landed on the assailant. There was a dull ringing in the human's ears, and everything around him was spinning. The being below him gave a low whine as he was promptly crushed by the armor clad man, and everything around him went quiet. There was nothing. No guns, no Demons, and no lightning. Just nothing.

Dean blinked and looked down, his expression turning to shock as he stared at a cowering guard that was pinned to the ground. The guard's ears were folded, and tears of fear and pain flowed down his cheeks as he stared up at the man in horror.

The Sergeant felt something in his grip and looked down, his shock turning to horror upon finding his combat knife inches from the ponies throat. His eyes flicked from the stallion to the knife, then back again as he tried to force himself to back off. His heart rate was through the roof, and beads of sweat were rolling down his forehead and neck.

"D-did you try to take my helmet off?" Dean whispered. The guard's eyes went thin as he slowly shook his head, being mindful of the knife next to his jugular.

"N-n-no sir, I-I just wanted to see you up close, a-and I t-tapped you o-on the shoulder." Dean hummed as the pony squeaked out his response, and his expression loosened. There was a long pause, and Dean could see the guard sweating in anxiety.

Ever so slowly, he brought his knife up and resheathed it, the blade giving a dull his as it went back into its home on his shoulder. Dean slowly got off and crouched beside the guard, offering him a hand. The guard looked between the Sergeant and the hand before tentatively putting his hoof on Dean's palm. The man gently hoisted the guard to his hooves, and a collective sigh of relief went around the previously silent crowd. Murmurs began to circulate, and more than a few remarks were about the Sergeant's sudden scream.

"Don't do it again." Dean stated stoically before turning around. He shook his head as the sounds of whispers suddenly came to his ears. However, something was off. These whispers weren't coming from the crowd, and instead seemed to reverberate around his helmet. He grunted, figuring it was due to his fatigue.

Dean suddenly froze, his entire body going rigid.

"Where is the Princess?!" Dean whirled and stalked back towards the guard. He had seen the empty chariot, and Twilight, Spike, and Lucy were missing. Panic seized onto Dean like a vise, and his movements suddenly became frantic. The guard backpedaled quickly as the crowd looked at one another.

"S-she was taken, sir."

Fury and a dose of fear stemmed in Dean, and his heart ran cold.

"[i]Taken where?!" [/i]

"Sergeant Dean!"

Dean whipped around and found Spitfire galloping through the small crowd of guards. Her breaths came in huffs and puffs as she stopped in front of the Sergeant, and for some reason, she had a smile on her muzzle. Dean was about to berate the Captain, as the Princess was missing once more, but she held up a hoof.

"The Princess is safe, Sergeant. What the Corporal meant to say was she was taken to the hospital. Dr. Lactose and a Surgeon Marrow are currently operating on her."

Dean blinked, and all the energy suddenly seemed to leave him. She was alive. She was safe, and she was going to live. Dean tried to reach up to take off his helmet, but a sudden feeling akin to a hundred boiling daggers shot through his left arm. He cried out in pain and stumbled a bit as he grit his teeth. The ponies behind them, which were beginning to disperse, jumped at the noise and faced him once more. No energy meant no adrenaline. No adrenaline meant he could now feel every injury his body had been holding in for the last day.

"You need to get to the hospital too, it seems." Spitfire commented dully. She began to walk down the path towards the medical center, and Dean shook his head before limping after her.

"No shit. That Changeling bitche’s magic somehow broke my arm." Dean growled as he matched Spitfires pace. He ignored the surroundings as they walked, and only gave the occasional nod to those who waved at him. It seemed that they had only just landed, as soldiers were still organizing and being debriefed by their superiors.

"The Changeling Queen? Did you actually fight her?" Spitfire looked up at him in what he assumed was awe, and Dean sighed.

"Yeah, I did. Though my arm broke when I was trying to escape with the Princess." He grumbled. "That cunt better be dead."

Spitfire chuckled and shook her head. Her tail flicked the back of Dean's leg, causing him to wince when some of the hair went between the armor and brushed against his wounds. He turned his head and glared down at her, causing her to give a [i]snrk.[/i]

[i]"[/i]Don't give me that look Sergeant. I outrank you. And from what the other soldiers were telling me about that explosion, I think it was lucky that any of us survived at all." Dean hummed as they passed under the archway at the main entrance to the Barracks and continued down the path. The steady clip-clop of Spitfires hooves along with the thump of his boots seemed to punctuate the air as a steady breeze blew in. The sun was setting beyond the cliffs, and a sense of calm washed over the Human as they came to the entrance to the hospital. He looked to his right and saw for a brief moment the rolling hills past the city's walls, only to abruptly stop at the edge of Whitetail woods.

'[i]A serene setting.' [/i]He thought to himself.

Dean got so caught in his musings that he barely noticed the Captain calling him. He looked down and blinked from behind his mask.

"What's up, Spitfire?" He asked quietly, his mask diluting his voice. He saw the Captain's expression fall as her ears slightly drooped. He stopped walking, and the two stood facing one another.

"I asked if you were alright? I didn't want to bring it up in front of the others, but it seemed weird that you hadn't woken up when we touched down. We even got the Princess to the hospital, and you still didn't move. I was actually running to try and find a free medic, but when I came back, you had jumped on top of the Corporal."

Dean was about to open his mouth to dismiss her concern, but she began to talk once again.

"You know, you acted a bit differently when we came back from camp at Stalliongrad. I noticed on the train ride how you stayed away from the former inmates and the rest of the team. You hardly spoke, and the times I did see you with your helmet off, there was something in your eyes."

"Enough." Dean's voice came out as a growl, and Spitfires' ears folded back as she flinched. There was a split second where a ghostly projection appeared a few meters behind him, but he refused to turn and look.

Dean grunted and shook his head.

"Just... take me to the hospital so I can make sure Twilight is alright, and then gather the council for nine o'clock tonight. I intend on getting started, as we have a week and a half 'till the Emperor makes his move. I want to be ready before then."

Spitfire looked like she wanted to retort, but in the end, merely gave a small sigh followed by a nod. Without so much as a word, she once more began to make her way towards the hospital. Dean simply followed.

The silence allowed Dean to think, and think he did. He was a bit frightened by the short time frame he was given, but he knew he had the expertise to make do. Assassinations were his specialty after all, followed closely by his skill in close quarters combat. He only had to get close to the Emperor, and then it was over.

But then there was magic.

Chrysalis had proven that magic would inevitably become a problem for him. Looking back on it now, the Queen had mentioned how her one spell was supposed to outright melt his insides, yet he had gotten away with a broken arm. Maybe his armor was doing its job just fine, and it was a matter of how powerful the spell was? He didn't fully understand magic, but he knew that the alloy in his HLD body armor was resistant to it.

[i]'Wait a minute... alloy..."[/i]

Dean stumbled when he suddenly put two and two together, and he nearly slapped himself for his stupidity. He had almost forgotten that Compound-X, the metal in his armor, had been in a similar state to iron ore before it was refined. There was only one magical resistant rock he knew of so far here on Equis, and that was the Nullstone boulder the blacksmith had shown him.

[i]'There is no way it could have been this easy all along.'[/i]

The chances that Nullstone and Compound-X were the same thing were miniscule. However, Dean was willing to bet that even if they weren't, his fabricator would be advanced enough to refine the Nullstone into a viable metal! If his speculation was correct, he could save the lives of the soldiers in the coming invasion.

Dean felt a smile tugging at his lips, but for some reason, it couldn't form. Whispers were still sounding in his head, but they were more akin to a mild tinnitus than anything. He reasoned that they would go away as soon as he got some sleep. He was aware enough to know that the last seven years had deeply affected his mental state, so much so that he feared he would never be the same. But Dean knew that in the end, things would get better, if not for him then for those around him. That was all that mattered in his mind, for he could deal with the trauma that came from war.

'[i]Dean...'[/i]

Dean's eyes snapped to the side. Him and Spitfire were passing doorways now, having entered the hospital at some point, and everything was going by in a blur. His senses caught each individual sound and movement; a nurse walking into a room, the screaming of a pony down the hall, the unholy screech of worn wheels on a trolley.

Dean's breathing was becoming faster now, and his eyes flicked every which way. The chairs seemed to warp and distort, and the walls were closing in around him. The world suddenly spun, and Dean's gut seemed to drop as if he were on a rollercoaster. Nausea crept into his stomach, and he could feel his skin growing clammy. His breathing was like thunder in his ears, and the whispers were growing louder. He could make out individual voices now, and for some reason, he could hear crying.

"[i]At approximately oh-ninehundred hours..."[/i]

Dean's heart thumped in his chest. Everything he was feeling was the same as his nightmares. These strange feelings happened when that wretched monster was playing with him, and warping his mind. Was he still in a dream? Did he even wake up??!

[i]"Your wife, Marie, and your son, Jaxon..."[/i]

It was impossible, of course he was awake! He had just gotten back from the Changeling hive, and they were all safe and sound. He was just fatigued, and probably seeing things due to the stress of the last few days.

[i]A tent was erected around him, and tears poured down his face. He tried to picture their faces, but the only thing that he could see were the horrific words on the slip of paper in his hands. [/i]

Someone was calling his name, and someone touched his leg. He just kept walking.

[i]He was on a lab table now, and instruments were held far above him. Doctors in lab coats hovered above him, and they were talking to one another. The sedative they had him under was starting to wear off.[/i]

[i]'... and you're sure he won't remember? We need his skills, but his mental state could endanger everyone around him...'[/i]

[i]'...I know it's unethical, but what choice do we have...'[/i]

[i]'...He's lost everything!! How could you...'[/i]

[i]'Dean...'[/i]

[i]*****[/i]

Dean gasped, his eyes flashing open as his breathing came in rapid bursts. He couldn't see anything, and he soon realized he was back in that black space. He turned on the spot, fear once more entering his mind as he tried to find the one who had tortured him.

"So, I see you met my good chum."

The familiar voice caused Dean to whirl on the spot, and his breathing immediately began to calm. His entire posture relaxed, and his eyes suddenly grew droopy.

Dean stumbled.

"Whoa there!"

Two hands suddenly grabbed his armored arm and kept him from falling. Their grip was like iron, and Dean used it to balance himself and shake his head clear. Black spots danced in his eyes, and he blinked rapidly.

"Shit, it's worse than I thought."

Dean turned and stared at the Guardian, too tired to get angry. All he could do was ask the question on his mind.

"What is happening to me?" He felt so meek with those simple words. He didn't want to believe them himself, but he was now officially in over his head. Things were progressing too fast for him to keep up. He was injured, tired, hungry, and stressed. He hadn't been able to check on Twilight, and his own mind was turning against him.

The Guardian sighed and let go of the Sergeant, who slowly spread his legs in order to gain more balance. The nausea was slowly dissipating, and he could once more see coherently. He watched as The Guardian slowly backed up until he was directly facing the Sergeant, his arms crossed as an unreadable expression came over him.

"Sergeant, I've got bad news, and then I've got...well... bad news." Dean rolled his eyes half-heartedly and gestured for The Guardian to continue.

"Don't beat around the bush. W-What the hell is happening."

The Guardian shivered and looked down for a second before giving a huff.

"The Destroyer has gained more power than I thought in the last few years, especially with the plan the Emperor has set in place. Because of their work, and the near completion of their plan, she was able to infiltrate your mind and wreak havoc."

The Guardian waved his hand around, gesturing to the empty blackness around him,

"This is your mindscape, Sergeant. Now, I want you to take a look directly below you."

Dean did so, and gasped out loud when he saw the mile wide crack far below him. Through that crack, movement played out, and he recognized memories from earlier in his military career. His friends, his missions, and his family flashed along like a video montage.

"The first time I met you, I saw something. There was a device inside your brain, and it kept certain parts of your memory locked away. I didn't dare try to break through, and instead visited you in a dream. However, I also sensed... something from the device. Whatever it is that was locked behind it, it wasn't good. I don't know everything you have gone through, nor will I judge you, but when the Destroyer broke into your mind, she sensed this phenomena as well. However, instead of ignoring it like I did, she must have dug deeper, thus alerting you to her presence. She did talk to you, didn't she." The Guardian asked Dean the question more as a statement than anything, and a hint of fear seemed to be laced into the words. Dean merely nodded, as he was having a hard time taking in all this information. The Guardian began pacing in front of the Sergeant.

"You are lucky you didn't go insane, and I commend you for that. This device protected you from the worst of her effects, and you are the first mortal I have seen that was able to survive her mental torture. I--"

And finally, Dean snapped.

"Just how powerful is the Destroyer? What am I up against?! All I have is a stupid comic book to go off of, and I can't remember any specifics! [b]What the fuck are you people[/b]!!?" Dean's outburst was laced with panic and fear, and his voice rose into a yell. He didn't understand, and he couldn't take being in the dark anymore. He knew that the Guardian was vital to the safekeeping of the multiverse, but he hadn't signed up for this! He was one man, a single man who was supposed to simply kill a crazy Emperor and end a war spanning the globe.

Everything had suddenly changed. Now, he was trying to avoid some kind of dream altering monster, he was facing magical powers beyond his comprehension, and he was now apparently up against a god-like entity that could torture him from the inside!

'[i]It's a miracle I haven't lost it yet.' [/i]He thought.

The Guardian sighed as he saw the panicked look coming from the Sergeant, but he knew the Human wouldn't take anything except the truth.

"Sergeant… The Destroyer is the fourth most powerful being in the known multiverse, just below me, but only barely. I don't know what those comics have depicted her as, but no mortal being can harm her when she is at her most powerful. Same goes for me. She is in a class of her own when it comes to physicality. She is cunning, ruthless, and the very representation of evil. She is what's called a Demon, and I am an Archangel." Dean's jaw was slowly lowering the longer the Guardian talked. The descriptions of these two beings were beyond anything he had imagined.

"Archangels and Demons are bound by certain rules given to us by the two creators. We have the power to wipe out galaxies in a single week, and should we be allowed, we could exterminate an entire planet with a thought. Thankfully, this is impossible. We are designed to fit the description of Humanity, and we can only be so evil or so good if it is within the capabilities of a Human. The saying goes, "if Humanity can think of it, it exists."

Dean watched as the Guardian stopped and stared with tired eyes into the inky blackness.

"Let's say that I am in my home universe, Earth Prime. Suddenly, all seven billion Humans inhabiting the planet suddenly think as one, 'we no longer want to exist'. Because it is my universe, I now have the capability to destroy the planet. However, there are two beings in each Universe, an Archangel and a Demon, light and dark, Good and Evil. In a realistic sense, the Demon walks the planet, and tries to convince people to turn against one another, and to commit evil. An Archangel's job is to do the opposite. We still have the capability to hurt, kill, and destroy, but we keep each other in check. Or try to, in my case” The Guardian's face suddenly darkened, and a scowl passed by his lips. His hands clenched at his sides, and the air seemed to simmer around him.

"Then everything changed." The Guardian looked into Dean's eyes, and the man was suddenly filled with a myriad of feelings. Love, hope, loss, depression, and despair. The man continued.

"Being on Earth Prime, things tend to happen for the first time in the multiverse. I didn't learn this until recently, but when I was thrown through the rift between worlds, it was the first time it happened. This opened possibilities all across the multiverse, and things started to happen. It didn't help that when I got back to my home, the Destroyer had figured out this new ability as well. We waged a battle across the multiverse, and the further we went, the stranger things became. In the end, we ended up in a world full of talking ponies. Our battle continued, and eventually, we went too far. We encountered a powerful magic for the first time, and neither myself or the Destroyer were ready. I was turned to stone, and she, an orb. The rest, as they say, is history."

Dean stood in silence. His brain trying and failing to wrap around everything the Guardian had just spewed out of his mouth. His own words died on his lips, and his jaw worked itself without a sound. After a full minute, he finally was able to find the words he was looking for.

"Why me?" His words came out as a croak, and the Guardian sighed.

"Dean, you were chosen by fate and fate alone. Look at it this way: All you need to do is stop the Emperor and use the magic artifacts and free me. That's it. Once that's done, you can go back to how it was before. Humans aren't meant to know all the stuff I just told you, and that wasn't even half of it, so count yourself lucky."

"I don't feel so lucky." Dean grumbled in response. The Guardian chuckled lightly before his expression grew serious. Dean noticed the change in attitude, and once more paid attention; he could dwell on everything he was told later.

"As I was saying before my little backstory, the Destroyer attacked this device. That lightning she used on you was very real, and she did her best to fry your brain thingy before I could intervene."

"And did you?" Dean suddenly asked. The Guardian deadpanned.

"I pulled you out before she could turn you to a fuckin' vegetable. That's why you woke up screaming." Dean nodded, and The Guardian took that as a sign to continue.

"Anyway, I don't know how much damage was done, but I can't help you in that regard. I used a lot of energy trying to save you, and.... I dunno if I will have the strength to keep that monster out."

There was a moment of silence before Dean nearly exploded in fury.

"WHAT!!!" He roared, causing The Guardian to flinch. "I-I need your help to keep that thing out! I don't know how mind magic works... what if it tries to...to mind control me or something!!" Dean paced around in worry, his breathing beginning to pick up once again. Scenarios began to play in his head, and a feeling of dread settled firmly in the forefront of his mind.

'[i]Would it be that easy for the enemy to control me? Is that even possible?'[/i]

[i]"[/i]Dean, I know what you are thinking, and I need you to calm down. This stress is not doing the doctors any favors back in the waking world." Dean whirled on the Guardian and pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Did you knock me out so you could talk to me? What the fuck was the point of all this if I suddenly have that tentacle monster come in and take over my mind! What if the Destroyer comes back? What then!?" A dull ringing was beginning in Dean's ears, and tears were threatening to spill from his eyes. He felt powerless, especially since everything had been turned on its head. He was good at killing aliens, sneaking around, and helping the helpless. Now he had to contend with his enemies constantly trying to break his will from the inside.

A place that was already hanging on by a thread.

"I think you should be okay, Dean."

The ringing stopped, and Dean turned to face the Guardian once more. The Archangel held a sympathetic look, and the bottom of his trenchcoat gently floated in a non-existent breeze.

"How so." Dean gave a start. His own voice sounded dead to the world.

"The Destroyer was trapped like I was, and from what I saw, she used an insane amount of power to attack your mind. I doubt she would be able to do something of that magnitude again until she is freed. The most you will have to worry about is that weird tentacle beast. I saw your memory of interacting with that Alicorn specter, and I think that with her fused to the monster, it should only be able to enter your dreams. I've seen how strong you are, Sergeant, and I don't doubt you will be able to fight back against it." Dean felt calmed by the Guardians' words, and the feeling of dread was starting to dissipate. Maybe he did have a chance after all?

"Oh, and before you wake up, there are two things." Dean turned his full attention to the Guardian, and he frowned. "One, find Thorax. He is being held in the dungeon in Maritime Bay, and he has vital information. Two, to answer your question from earlier, I didn't knock you out. I've been to enough Equestrias and I learned that you have what the Unicorns call Mana-Burn or Magical exhaustion."

Dean cocked his head to the side in thought. He remembered the medic from the hive telling him something similar. Did that mean...

The Guardian smiled, lifted his hand, and wiggled his fingers.

"Yer a wizard 'arry!" He cackled at his little joke, and Dean couldn't help but give a snort of amusement. He shook his head and noticed that his surroundings had turned to a light gray, and were starting to become brighter.

"This is where we part ways, Sergeant. I have faith in you. And remember, the forces of darkness are plenty, but you act as the torch lighting the way. It's up to you now, good luck."

Dean smiled and waved his hand as the Guardian's words faded away. He felt his eyes growing droopy, and a gentle calmness overtook him. He had a lot of information to sort through, and while a lot had just transpired, he knew he had to push forward. He needed to win, and to do so, he needed to be cunning.

The Destroyer had tried to break him, and she had failed. He wouldn't crack so easily.

*****

Spike dozed quietly, a half finished book resting on his stomach as he sat propped in the chair. His gentle snores accompanied the sound of a heart monitor, and the quiet beeping created a lulling rhythm. There were no other sounds except for the snores of the dragon, and the beeps of the machine.

Then the beeping grew faster.

There was a sudden scream of fear. It was so loud that it was heard all across the hospital. However, no one got hit worse by the horrific sound than Spike himself.

The little Dragon gave a screech of surprise and toppled sideways off of his chair, the book tumbling from his grasp as his shoulder took the impact of the fall. His ears pinned to the sides of his head as the screaming continued, and the sounds of hooves and shouting suddenly entered the fray.

Half a dozen nurses and doctors galloped into the room to comfort the panicking Princess, but their efforts seemed to be in vain. The little purple Alicorn was writhing and turning, her eyes wide and her pupils constricted to pinpricks. Fear was evident in the screams, and Spike whimpered as he watched the events from the floor.

He watched as his sister panicked. It was so loud, and he felt tears coming on. He couldn't do anything about the situation at hand, and he could only imagine what had happened to her to cause this. No one had shared any details with him, and it frustrated the drake to no end

Finally, the screams died down into loud sobs, and Spike perked up when he realized the event was over. His sister was grabbing who appeared to be doctor Lactose in a bone crushing hug, and his eyes bulged out of their sockets from the force. Even then, the Doctor didn't make a sound as Twilight wept into his shoulder.

Spike slowly stood and gently walked towards the hospital bed. A few nurses took notice of him and nudged each other to get out of his way. He appreciated the gesture, and slowly walked up beside the doctor.

"Twilight?" He called out softly, not wanting to startle his sister who was still tightly clinging onto the doctor. When she didn't respond, he placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and repeated her name. This time, she slowly turned her head towards him, her eyes red and puffy from crying.

"S-Spike," she stuttered out, her voice hoarse. Spike gave a reassuring smile and nodded his head. He saw Twilight's eyes widen as she finally took in her surroundings, and her lower lip began to tremble.

Spike jumped up onto the bed and wrapped his sister into a tight hug. She reciprocated this by letting the poor doctor go and clinging to the teenage dragon for dear life. He heard her sniffles as she tried to bury him in her chest fur, and the little dragon gave a tearful giggle.

Twilight smiled as she hugged her brother, but that smile quickly dropped when a stinging pain came from her lower abdomen.

Hissing in pain, she flinched, causing Spike to take notice of the problem. He quickly shuffled off of her, and sat on the bed to her side, his eyes holding a look of worry. He could see the stitched scar running down Twilight's stomach, and he winced upon looking at it. His sister was staring at the scar, and her shaky hoof gently traced its length.Tears welled in her eyes, and Twilight gave a small sniffle. Spike immediately noticed this, and reached over to embrace her once more, being mindful of the scar.

That's when he heard the whispering.

"[i]But Doctor, we can't tell her yet! She has just gone through Tartarus, and-and you know what the effects of this could be!"[/i]

[i]"Oui, but the sooner we get it out of the way the better. She will end up figuring it out, and then worse could happen."[/i]

[i]"Worse? Worse!? [/i]What could possibly be worse than losing--" The nurse clapped a hoof to her mouth, but the damage was done. The four ponies and the doctor turned and regarded the Princess and the Dragon, both of whom wore suspicious looks.

"Worse than losing what." Twilight said. Her voice was monotone and slightly shaky, fear and confusion were the dominant emotions in her head; her mind began working through scenarios at lighting speed.

"I..."

"Er--"

"Um..."

Twilight leaned forward, ignoring the pain as a pleading look came across her face. Spike could feel her tense, and his ear's wilted slightly as he watched the doctors. He did not know what was going on. They were home now, and the battle was over.

So why was a cold feeling creeping into his stomach?

"Spit it out!" Twilight snapped, causing the doctors to stiffen. They each shared a glance before doctor Scalpel gave a defeated sigh. His posture slouched slightly as his ears flicked.

"[i]Merde." [/i]Spike heard him mutter before he straightened up once more.

"Monsieur Spike, Princess Twilight.... there is something that we need to tell you."

The feeling inside Spike instantly got worse. He had recognized that tone instantly, as he had heard it years prior when he was hanging out with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They had been at Scootaloo's house when there was a knock on the door. The four kids had snuck over when they heard Scootaloo's aunt begin talking to the guard stallion on the other side.

He remembered when the letter was given to Scootaloo's aunt, and the soldier had spoken of her father having fallen in the line of duty. He would never forget seeing the filly beside him run in, yelling at the soldier that he was lying. He remembered the soldier's condolences, and the solemn words he used before leaving.

Dr. Lactose was using that exact same tone, and a feeling of dread was welling in his stomach.

The doctor cleared his throat again and shuffled, the nurses behind him looking uncomfortable and downright sad. Spike noticed tears in their eyes, but the world around him had started buzzing. His face darkened, and his body seemed to shake.

Then it all came together.

Spike had been deafened by the explosion, and was one of the last to get fixed due to his small status. He had seen the crowd panic, and he had seen Dean give some kind of speech, but he hadn't heard it. It wasn't until they were about to leave did a nurse come by and heal him.

Through all that, there was one pony he didn't see. One pony who should have been there when they had disembarked. One pony who would never have left Twilight's side as she was at the operating table....

One pony who Spike had called a brother.

The doctor must have seen the comprehension in the little drake's eyes, and his own softened in pity. However, before he could say anything, Spike was up and running. He shoved past the nurses as tears spilt around him. He didn't know what to think, nor where to go. He just ran.

He was near the exit to the Hospital when the entire building seemed to shake. A purple hue flashed past him before it was gone. As the doors began to close behind him, he heard the wails and screams coming from his sister. Not of pain, but of anguish.

He didn't stop until he was back home, where slammed the door behind him, locked it, and crawled to a dark corner.

Then he began to cry.

*****

Dean's eyes snapped open to the sounds of familiar screaming, and his instincts immediately took over. His entire body tensed, and he sprung from the steel bed in a flash of speed. A doctor that had been on the other side of the room shrieked in surprise and fear as the seven foot tall soldier took off for the door.

Dean ignored the calls from behind him as a few nurses tried to give chase. He easily outpaced them as he followed the noises; a feeling of fear and dread was building inside him as his mind flew through the possibilities of what was happening. He did know one thing for certain, and that was whatever was attacking his friend would soon turn into a mushy paste on the floor.

Dean saw a flash of purple and green in his peripherals, and thought for a second that Spike had just run past him. He didn't have time to check, and instead pushed harder. The screaming was becoming more coherent, and what Dean had thought was fear had suddenly turned to rage.

He came upon a set of double doors and immediately slammed through them. What he found on the other side stopped him in his tracks.

Two nurses coward in fear in a corner to his left, and another two lay unconscious to his right. Directly in front of him, Dr. Lactose was on the receiving end of the Royal Canterlot Voice.

[b][i]"HE ISN'T DEAD!! WHERE IS MY BROTHER!?" [/i][/b]Dean flinched at the volume, and confusion came over him. He saw tears pouring down Twilight's face, and her wings were spread wide in what he assumed was an effort of intimidation. Her horn was blazing with purple energy, and a deranged look was on her face.

Then it clicked.

[b][i]"TAKE ME TO HIM!! TAKE ME TO SHINY RIGHT BUCKING NOW!!" [/i][/b]

Dr. Lactose whimpered and shook his head. Dean had to give it to the stallion, he was doing a good job holding his ground.

"Princess please! I am so, so sorry, but I cannot! Please, you need to calm-"

[b][i]"STOP LYING!! S-SHINY ISN'T DEAD!! I-I-I SAW HIM!! I SAW HIM RESCUE ME A-A-AND DEAN!!" [/i][/b]She shook her head wildly. Sweat was dripping from her body from the magical output she was producing, and the tears came harder. Her breaths came in a hacking wheeze, and panic was clearly outlined in her eyes.

Then she noticed him.

"D-Dean?" Her voice was small and meek, and her magic seemed to cut off instantly and the oppressive air seemed to lighten. Her wings slowly drooped till they were practically dragging on the floor, and her watery eyes stared up into his own. He heard her sniffle, and his heart instantly went out to the mare. He saw the question in her eyes, and the desperate plea for him to say anything at all that could give her hope.

"Twilight..."

His tone said it all, and fresh tears began to pour from her eyes. Her breathing once more became erratic, and choking sobs escaped from her throat.

"No..." She shook her head. "No, no, no, no, [b]NO![/b]"

Twilight rushed forward and Dean's eyes widened. Utter fury seemed to radiate from the purple Princess as she lunged forward and punched at his armored leg. The force of the punches nearly caused Dean to stumble, and each time her hoof connected, she screamed out that single word.

The punching slowly got weaker, and Dean quickly knelt down. He could see in her eyes the panic, fear, anger, and suffering she was going through, and he only waited while the hits to his leg suddenly came to his chest. It was less punching now and more hard smacking, and her cries of anger had dwelled into pitiful sobs.

Dean grabbed the Princess in his arms and held her against his chest. She immediately went limp and began to cry in earnest, and his right hand began to stroke at her mane.

"I'm so, so sorry." He whispered over and over again. Time seemed relative as the two sat there for what seemed like an eternity. The nurses had left at some point, and the only one in the room was Dr. Lactose.

Snapping to attention, Dean noticed even breathing coming from below him, and he glanced down to see the sleeping face of his friend. Her face was streaked with tears, and the odd sniffle sounded here or there, but she otherwise seemed peaceful.

Ever so slowly, he scooped the Princess up and quietly walked over to her bed. He gently laid her down before pulling the thin bed sheet over top of her. Dean heard her sniffle one last time before turning and marching towards the door. He stopped when Doctor Lactose cleared his throat.

"S-Sergeant Dean.... Merci." The doctor's ears flattened, and Dean gave a sigh as he looked down at the pony.

"Make sure she gets some water when she wakes up, please. Keep up the good work around here Doc, I'm sorry you had to see all that."

The doctor shook his head and frowned.

"C'est d'accord, my friend. I've never seen such a thing before, and I can only imagine the horrors that our Princess had to go through before you saved her. When the surgeons finished their job, I found her body covered in scars and burns. S-She was m-malnourished, a-and--"

Dean gently clamped his hand over the Doctor's muzzle, sealing away any more words. Lactose blinked, and realized he had been rambling. Not only that, but tears were beginning to come to his eyes. While he had dealt with severe injuries, and he had seen many ponies die... never before had he been shown a victim of such torture. It was completely foreign to him.

Once it looked like the doctor had calmed down, Dean removed his hand.

"Doc, she is going to be fine. My mission in helping the Resistance is to make sure you don't have to experience... that. All that matters is you helped save Twilight by healing her. Plus, the one who tortured her blew up." Both Dean and Lactose gave a quiet chuckle at the absurd comment, and the tension slowly dissipated from the two.

"That's good to hear, Sergeant." The chuckling stopped and the Doctor's voice became strained once more. "You must go and check on Spike. I'm afraid he was present when the news was delivered, and he ran out of the hospital before any of us could stop him."

Dean hummed in acknowledgement and nodded his head. His eyes drifted back to the sleeping alicorn, and he couldn't help but stare at her. While the ponies around him were indeed quadrupeds, they still held quite a few Human aspects about them. A small part of his mind considered the little Alicorn to be cute in a more... exotic way, but it was quickly and brutally crushed. She was his friend, and he had a wife after all.

Even so, one was allowed to dream.

"If she wakes up any time soon, let her know I will be at the barracks with Spike."

Without further comment, Dean stalked out of the room. He had a lot to do today, and he suddenly realized two things. The first being that he had no idea how long he had been out, and the second being that his arm felt as good as new. He gave a small smirk as he made his way back to his previously inhabited room, but soon adopted a stony expression upon seeing the nurses and guards milling about.

He re-entered the medical room and found his rifle and Helmet sitting on a chair near the corner. He briefly questioned how they were able to fix his arm with all his armor, but decided he would find out later. He quickly snatched his helmet from the chair along with his rifle.

Slipping his headgear on first, he was greeted by the specks of dried blood directly in front of his eyes, causing him to frown. Never before had he come so close to death, the only other comparable time being the moments before he was sucked into fairy-land.

Glancing to his left, his eyes widened upon seeing the date above his motion tracker, and a small sense of panic overtook him.

He had been out for a day and a half.

Dean mentally slapped himself as he power walked out of the hospital. He had roughly eleven to twelve days before the Emperor's grand plan started, and he still had to prepare for the attack on Canterlot. It was such little time, and he scoured his brain for answers. The closer they got to the deadline, the more prepared the Emperor would be, and he couldn't allow that. Attacking the day before the deadline was a no go, but he couldn't be too early either.

'[i]Six days.' [/i]His subconscious whispered to him. He nodded his head, realizing that that was indeed the perfect time. It was right in the middle, and would give enough time to prepare while catching the Elves with their pants down.

Dean found himself stopping in front of the entrance to the dungeons, and he quickly placed a mental note to see both Trignar and this Thorax character.

Speaking of Trignar, he realized that the Elf was likely stuck back in his decrepit hole. This wouldn't do, and so Dean walked up to the two guards.

The two soldiers saluted him as he approached, and Dean reciprocated the gesture. He noticed another guard, a Sergeant judging by the crest on his chest. The pony stopped in front of the towering super-soldier and raised an eyebrow.

"May I help you, First Sergeant?" The ponies' voice was deeper, and underneath the armor, Dean could see the signs of older age. Such a thing was common now, as the Resistance needed everyone to be ready to fight, young or old.

"I was wondering about the condition of Prince Trignar Blueblade, Sergeant. Has he been returned to the dungeon?" Dean watched closely as the pony nodded, causing the man to frown.

"Aye, sir, he has. We also confiscated a strange purple marble from him. It had a magical signature, and we figured it could be a means to his escape."

Dean was already shaking his head and grit his teeth in anger. He knew it wasn't the guards fault, but surely someone would have noticed how the Prince had helped him?

"That will not do, Sergeant. First, I want that orb returned to him. I know what its purpose is." The pony was about to retort, an angry look suddenly appearing. His two comrades also bristled in anger over his words, but he didn't care.

"Furthermore, The Prince will be given a cot at the least to stay in, and he will have access to a latrine and shower. He will go unshackled, but he will still wear a magic inhibitor."

The pony finally had enough and stomped his hoof, a menacing growl escaping his throat.

"And why would I do that? That Prince is a member of the enemy, and his kind has done nothing but destroy this world! He's evil!" The other two guards nodded in agreement, but Dean merely shook his head.

"The Prince has committed heinous acts, but he also played a vital role in the rescue of your Princess. Without him, she wouldn't be alive." Dean's tone never changed and the three ponies' jaws dropped in shock. The two soldiers looked at each other, but the Sergeant continued to stare at Dean. The pony held a conflicted look in his eyes, and Dean's own gaze softened.

"The Dark Elves are evil, this is true, but without him, none of this would have been possible. He will remain in custody, but surely we wouldn't stoop as low as his kind?"

There was a moment's pause as the two stared at each other once more. The two guards watched as their Sergeant slowly nodded his head and sighed.

"Fine. I will never forgive what his kind has done, but if what you're saying is true, then I guess we can be civil to a degree." The Sergeant turned and nodded to the two ponies. "Return the marble, and grab an unused cot from storage as well as one blanket." The pony turned back to Dean and scowled. "The Prince will be taken to the washroom every four hours. This is as far as I'll go."

Dean nodded and stood straighter once more. His gaze wandered towards the residential building Twilight and Spike inhabited. He still had to deal with the teen, and then he could begin his plans.

"Very well Sergeant, carry on." The two saluted before Dean began to stride towards the two story building. He saw guards milling about in the training fields to his left, and he could see a large group of them practicing with repeating crossbows and light-spears. A small structure had been erected a ways behind the range, and Dean could see ponies practicing the breaching tactics he had taught. He also noticed two strange creatures resembling a mix between a lion and an eagle standing near the range. Dean shook his head and turned his attention away as he walked into the building and began up the stairs.

Training was progressing well, but he doubted it would be enough. However, even if they weren't up to par, all he needed was to kill the Emperor. Dean intended to use the ponies to infiltrate the city, then use hit and run tactics to create a diversion. Dean would then enter the throne room, deal with the guards, and kill the Emperor. Once that was done, he would gather the artifacts required to free the Guardian. He knew that once the trenchcoat wearing demigod was free, the Elves would surrender, or be destroyed. There were plenty of risks in this plan, but there really was no other option. He couldn't just hide Twilight away, as the Elves controlled most of the planet, and if he waited too long, then they would coordinate a massive assault to capture her. Dean was powerful, but one hundred million soldiers was a few to many.

Dean shook his head as he came to the correct door. He would talk to the council tonight and coordinate the plan then.

Dean slowly raised his hand to knock on the door, but the muffled sound of sobs caused him to pause with his arms raised. He gave a low sigh and his posture seemed to droop as thoughts and feelings began to surface. Self doubt and regret flashed through him, and he winced upon seeing Shining Armour's face before him. His words rang in Deans ears as an echo.

[i]'Promise me that you will do everything in your power to keep my sister safe...'[/i]

A tear welled in Dean's eye, but he blinked it away. He had been getting awfully emotional this last little bit, and the thought angered him. Getting emotional only endangered the mission, and if he was going to fulfill his promises, he needed to keep a level head.

Dean slowly grabbed the door handle, turned, and pushed. The hinges gave a small squeal as he slowly stepped into the room. The sobbing had stopped, and an eerie silence overtook the room. Looking at his motion tracker showed Spike was down and to his left.

"Dean?" He heard the pitiful whimper, and so turned to regard the little dragon. No matter how much he had seen, and how much trauma he had to deal with, seeing kids like this would always be heartbreaking, even to him.

Dean reached up and lifted his helmet off, causing it to give off a quiet hiss. He slipped the gear under his arm and gently knelt down. He could see Spike cowering in the corner, his eyes puffy and red. A little bit of snot hung from his nose, and a small puddle of tears was laying at his feet.

"Hey, kiddo." Dean sighed and rubbed his hand through his hair.

"W-Why did you come here?" Spike asked. His tone held confusion, and Dean fixed the dragon with as kind of a look as he could.

"I came because I knew you were hurting." Dean leaned back and fully sat down with a heavy [i]thump. [/i]His arms rested on his knees as his posture relaxed.

This had the effect of calming Spike, and the little dragon quickly wiped his nose and eyes with his arm. He gave another sniffle.

"Want to talk ab--" Dean couldn't finish his sentence before the dragon launched forward and wrapped the soldier in a hug. His sobs echoed through the dark room, and Dean held his arm around the dragon in a comforting manner. He gave the occasional pat on the back, and whispered soothing words and sounds as Spike cried himself out.

As the sobbing died down, Spike slowly detached himself and stepped back to his place by the wall. He wiped his face one more time and sniffled.

[i]"T-Thanks." [/i]He whispered.

Dean nodded, and silence once more descended across the room. Spike was staring at the ground with a melancholic look, refusing to meet the Humans eyes. Dean hummed in thought, causing the dragon to glance up.

"Spike, I want to tell you something." Spike flinched at Dean's words, but nodded as the Human shuffled in his position. The air seemed tense to the little dragon, and he didn't know why.

"Spike, your brother... he was a hero." Dean paused as the dragon shook his head.

"They all say that." He mumbled, a brief bout of anger clouding his face.

Dean sighed.

"Indeed they do. I imagine you know what happens when a soldier is lost in combat? How someone is informed through a written letter?" Spike nodded silently.

"Well, I'll tell you this, face to face. Your brother saved Twilight, the Resistance, and myself. I was there, Spike. I was on the verge of dying, and your sister wasn't going to survive either. But then Shining came. He gave me time to get Twilight out, and he gave the Resistance time to get to cover. He was the one that destroyed the Changeling hive."

Spike suddenly looked up in surprise, his mouth dropping in disbelief.

"Spitfire told me it was your explosives that destroyed the hive!"

Dean shook his head and sighed. He really needed to talk with that mare.

"My explosives did destroy the hive, but it was your brother that set them off. Look." Dean shuffled slightly and leaned forward. He rested his hand on Spike's shoulder as he looked the dragon dead in the eyes. "I know how you feel. I lost people too. Your brother was a hero, and the enemy would have won if he didn't do what he did. I am so, so sorry that this happened to you, but I want you to know that Shining won't be forgotten."

Dean slowly retracted his hand as Spike stared solemnly at the floor. He did this nearly a minute straight, and the silence became palpable. Dean was about to add more, when Spike finally spoke.

"If Shining were here, he would want me to get up and continue to help. He died so we could have a chance, and I won't let my part go to waste."

Dean's mouth fell into a shocked 'O', and Spike smiled weakly. The Human shook his head slightly, and gave a warm smile.

"I couldn't agree more." The Sergeant slowly got to his feet, and Spike did the same. The two stood there for a second as Dean slowly slid his helmet over his head. Once this was done, Dean looked down at Spike, and Spike looked up at him.

"Want to come help me in the barracks? I could use the company." Even before he had finished, Spike was nodding enthusiastically. Dean couldn't help but give a small chuckle and a shake of his head. "Alright, let's get going then. Daylight is wasting."

Just as he took his first step, a small tug on his hand caused him to pause. He slowly looked down, and saw Spike looking up at him with a sad smile.

"Dean, thanks for helping me." He said.

The man paused before giving a brief but firm nod.

"You are welcome kid. Now come on, I'm gonna show you how to clean my gun."

And so the two left, and the room was once more bathed in silence.

*****

Half a kilometer away, in a busy hospital, a certain Princess was beginning to stir...

0