Chapter 53: Alone and Forsaken (Part 2)
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wind howled, and the skies churned with bleak, dark clouds. The taste of rain was in the air, and if one were to look past the looming cliffs of Maritime Bay, they would see the sheets of falling water rapidly approaching from afar. Once again, the little fortress city was to be hit by a storm, and from where Twilight was sitting, it looked to be a big one.

Her eyes roamed the skies, and her mind went through the various meteorological books and lessons she had read and learned from. However, while her mind went through the routine of using her knowledge, her true thoughts were elsewhere.

They were scrambled, messy, and if one were to look closely, they would see her eyes seemed vacant, and dead to the world at large. She didn't cry, she didn't laugh, nor did she move. Instead, she took one shaky breath after another as she stared into the heavens.

'Clouds help to moderate Equis's temperature by reflecting solar rays during the day and trapping heat at night.'

'It is vital that Pegasi keep a strict schedule so as not to overheat, or freeze the earth far below.'

'The color of clouds is influenced by the size of their water droplets and ice crystals, as well as the angle of sunlight.'

Twilight blinked, and she suddenly found herself inside a memory.

*****

She found herself sitting on a carpet inside her tree-house. The smell of books, parchment, and ink briefly overwhelmed her senses, and she happily breathed the scents in. Nostalgia nearly overcame her when her little brother, Spike, walked through the doorway to the kitchen carrying a tea set. A phonograph, a new invention, was playing a song from one of her friends, Octavia Melody. 

All in all, it was a picture perfect scene.

"Watcha reading Twilight?" Spike called from across the room, his voice slightly hazy from the memory.

"It's Starswirl's second volume on advanced magic, Spike. It's been years since I've read it, so I figured I'd go over it again." A cheery smile grew on her face as she lifted a cup of tea with her magic and took a sip. The warm, and slightly sweet drink worked its way down her throat, causing her to shiver in delight. She looked up to the dragon with a smile. "Thanks Spike, that hit the spot."

Twilight moved to begin reading once more when three knocks sounded at her door. Her head tilted to the side as one of her ears twitched in curiosity. 

"I've got it!" Spike called as he jogged across the room. Twilight followed him with her eyes before standing up herself and stretching. Her tongue poked out of her mouth and her eyes squeezed shut as the various bones in her back cracked and stretched. She let out a content sigh as she began walking towards the door.

She made it three feet before Spike opened the door, and a pink blur rushed in through the door. Twilight had time to give a surprised yelp before she was tackled to the ground by an exuberant Princess of Love.

"W-what the!? Cadence??" Twilight coughed out as her old foalsitter slowly got to her hooves. She was panting slightly from the move she just pulled, but her smile did not dim for a second.

Twilight sprang to her hooves, her own ear-splitting smile enveloping her features, and began their routine:

"Sunshine, Sunshine, Ladybugs awake! Clap your Hooves, and do a little shake!" 

The two giggled, both failing to notice Spike roll his eyes with amusement behind them. Once more, the two Alicorns embraced, and it took a minute before they separated. There was a polite cough from near the doorway, and both turned their heads to regard the bemused Unicorn standing beside Spike.

"Twily!"

"Shiny!"

Twilight galloped across the room before slamming into her brother with a monster hug. Even with her slightly improved size as an Alicorn, she was still just barely able to wrap her legs fully around him. Shining chuckled and shook his head as they broke apart, and Twilight looked down at Spike with a beaming smile.

"I think we may need some more tea, Spike!"

This caused the little dragon to chuckle and shake his head before plodding back towards the kitchen. He gave a thumbs up on his way by, followed by a hoof-bump from Shining. As he disappeared from view, Twilight turned back to her brother and sister-in-law, her smile only growing.

"Take a seat on the couch if you would like!" She called behind her as she scrambled to clean the room with her magic. "Had I known you were coming, I would've cleaned the house!"

Shining and Cadence glanced at each other before dissolving into a fit of giggles and snorts, causing Twilight to give pause and glance behind her.

"Was it something I said?" She asked, her head slightly cocked to the side.

"You could say that... it's just, everything was basically spotless when we came in, there's no need to be so frantic. We just thought we would pop by for a visit!" Cadence giggled into her hoof as she heftily plopped herself onto the sofa. Shining gave her a concerned look as he sat down, but she waved it off with a smile. However, even with the hint to her husband, Twilight was still in the dark, and a look of concern came over her.

"Is the couch not comfortable enough, Cadence? I can get an extra pillow, o-or a blanket!" She began trotting towards a closet towards the back of the room, but suddenly found herself in the blue glow of her foal sitter's magic. She gave a quiet 'eep' as she floated through the air and came to a rest on top of a small beanbag chair nearby. Twilight heard Cadence and Shining chuckle, and pouted cutely with her front legs crossed.

"Oh, Twilight, never change!" Shining chuckled, causing her to look away in mock annoyance.

Cadence shuffled around some more so that she was leaning against her husband, and let a small smile make its way across her lips. Her tail swished lightly, and her ears flicked in nervousness. Twilight noticed this, and her full attention suddenly turned to the Unicorn. 

'Why is her belly so much rounder? Has she been putting on weight?'

There was a flare of magic, and Spike was suddenly sitting beside his sister on the chair, a confused expression on his face as he wore a pink apron. He glanced at Twilight, before his gaze landed on the perpetrator behind his surprised teleportation.

"Spike, Twilight, there is something I need to tell you both, and I need you two to keep this a secret." Cadence leaned forward, and her expression became deadly serious. Both siblings gulped and leaned away ever so slightly as an intense frown came across the Princess of Love.

"Yes Cadence."

"Definitely your Highness."

Cadence looked at Shining, who held his own serious expression, and the two nodded in tandem. The silence that followed was palpable, and the two royals leaned closer inwards. Spike and Twilight gulped once more as Cadence's scrutinizing gaze stared through her very soul, and both could hear their hearts hammering in their chests. Cadence opened her mouth to speak, and both Twilight and Spike held their breath. 

"Twilight, Spike.... I'm PREGNANT!" The sudden cheer caused Spike to topple over backwards in fright, and Twilight to leap to her hooves with her wings spread, her eyes wide with surprise that hadn't yet registered. The announcement hung in the air, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still in the cozy library of Ponyville. Spike, regaining his composure, scrambled back up to his feet and rushed over to Twilight, his heart pounding with excitement.

"Twilight, did you hear that? You're going to be an aunt!" Spike suddenly exclaimed, happiness radiating around him as he embraced his sister. Twilight, for her part, had her mouth open and her eyes dilated. There was a slight twitch in her body, and suddenly, the mare began to vibrate.

"Uh, Cady? I think you broke her." Shining slowly backed away until he was safely behind the couch, his eyes never leaving his sister as her shock was replaced by a rapidly growing smile. Cadence merely giggled, her head a rush as she drank in the positive emotions around her.

The purple Alicorn suddenly let off an almighty squeal of delight before wrapping Cadence in a crushing hug around her neck. The love Princess's eyes bugged out for a split second before a hearty giggle escaped her and she returned the hug in kind.

"Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh!" Twilight squeed and let go of her sister before clopping her front hooves together in excitement. "I'm gonna be an aunt!!"

Shining finally poked his head out from behind the couch with a smile before trotting over to stand next to his wife. He chuckled as Twilight pranced in place and wrapped a hoof around Cadence's shoulders to bring her closer.

"Will it be a filly or a colt?? Oh, what type of pony?! What will you name her, I have to know!!" Twilight squealed again before suddenly bolting towards the stairs to her loft. "I have a list of names you can use for both genders! Just gimme a sec-- Hey!"

Once again, Twilight found herself wrapped in magic before being teleported before Shining and Cadence. There was a moment of silence before she sheepishly looked to the side and blushed.

"Sorry, I must have gotten a bit too excited there."

Spike harrumphed and shook his head, causing Twilight's blush to deepen.

"It's alright Twily. We don't know if the baby will be a filly, colt, boy, or girl. We do suspect she will either be a Pegasus, like I was before my ascension, or a Unicorn like Shiny." Cadence walked over and nuzzled Twilight, erasing her blush as she reciprocated the gesture.  

There was a light cough, and both mares looked at Shining Armour as he gestures towards the clock on the wall with his head. Cadence rolls her eyes before giving Twilight a smirk. 

"Ever the soldier, your brother. Always gotta be on time!" The two shared a giggle before Cadence steps back and pecks her husband on the cheek.

"Sorry for the sudden exit, Twi, but we have asked Pinkie to set up an announcement party at Sugarcube Corner. It’s at five o'clock."

The two made their way towards the door, and Twilight and Spike followed behind. 

"Aw, okay. I'll see you guys in a few hours. Are you sure you wouldn't like to stay and have some more tea?" Twilight's eyes suddenly became watery, and her ears flopped slightly to either side. It was heart attack inducing, but both Shining and Cadence were unfazed. 

Shining leaned over and ruffled Twilight's mane, causing her to pout adorably while he chuckled.

"After the party, Twi. We can come back here and hang out for a bit and relax if you want." Twilight looked as though she was about to protest, but a quick tap on the side caused her to look down at Spike. The two stared at one another for a moment before Twilight stuck her tongue out at him, causing the little drake to giggle as they broke their staring contest.

"Fiiinnnneeeeee." She relented dramatically with a pout, causing her brother and sister-in-law to chuckle at the display. Shining opened the door with his magic, and the two walked out with a wave. Twilight and Spike both waved back before the door gently swung closed.

Once it did, Twilight trotted back to her spot on the bean-bag chair and picked up her book. She began reading, and was just about to fall back into the state of 'ignoring everything around her,' when Spike's cough caught her attention. The little Dragon was sitting on the couch with his own book, but he was currently focusing on Twilight.

"Hey Twilight, can I ask you something?" He asked as he set the open book on the couch beside him. Twilight gave him a warm smile and nodded her head.

"Sure, Spike, what's up?" Her head tilted slightly to the side as her own book floated to her left.

"Have you ever thought of having a kid?" He asked innocently.

The question caught Twilight off guard, and she stared at her little brother with her mouth in a small 'O' shape. After a moment, she shook her head and smiled lightly.

"Well, the easy answer to that question, Spike, is a yes. However, there is a bit more than just, 'wanting to have a kid.'" She crossed her front hooves as she looked dreamily out the window to the side.

"Every filly wants to grow up and meet their prince in Shining Armour, no pun intended. I myself have always dreamt of finding the perfect stallion and having a big happy family. Mom and Dad keep hounding me about it, especially mom. 'When will we have grandfoals to spoil? We can't wait for our little Princess to bring home the perfect colt!'" Twilight giggled as she mimicked her mother's voice, causing Spike to giggle. Twilight let out a light chuckle before slowly picking up her book once more.

"I intend on finding someone nice, Spike. I'm not ready for children yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Now, let me finish my book, and then we can get ready for the party tonight."

"Okay, Twi."

And with that the two went back to reading. However, for Twilight, she still couldn't stop thinking over the things she had just said.

"Someday, I will find the perfect stallion, I know it." She whispered to herself. Butterflies tickled the inside of her stomach, and she felt her face growing warm. "Someday, everything is going to be perfect."

*****

Thunder rumbled far above, and the rain was falling in earnest now. The wind howled across the cliffs, and the branches on the trees swayed and groaned from the battering.

All of that was irrelevant to the crying Alicorn below.

Twilight wept softly as she sat under the tree. Her fur was slowly soaking through, but she didn't feel the biting cold. Her mane was covering her eyes, but it did not matter, for her eyes were closed. A stream of tears mixed with the raindrops cascading down her cheeks, but she was silent as her body wracked and shook from the memories. She had been in this position for nearly an hour and a half.

The miracle of a child. It is a gift that many dream of at some point in their lives. For most, having a child, someone to love, adore, and care for, is one of the most incredible things in the world. For years, Twilight had wanted the perfect stallion, and raise a family with him. She wanted a happy life, where she ruled as a Princess with friendship, and where she could find love with the perfect prince of her dreams. She had kept saying she would find somepony eventually, that she would be complete soon enough. She kept saying these things, even when the Elves destroyed her home, murdered her family and friends, and hunted her for two long years. She didn't give up hope that everything would be alright in the end, that if she survived, then she would have a chance of being happy.

'What a fool I was.' She thought to herself. Her crying reduced to feeling the wind and rain on her face, though no matter how hard she tried to feel, there was only numbness. 

Mom, Dad, Flurry, Shining, Cadence, Celestia, Luna... my friends...'

She began to cry once more, and she slowly shook her head from side to side. 

'I'm an Alicorn, a being with the power of the three pony tribes. I should have done more. Maybe then, they would be alive. I was supposed to be powerful. An Element of Harmony, and a Princess. Where did I go wrong?'

Twilight finally opened her eyes, and she took in the swirling clouds far above. Their dark gray and blue colors seemed to clash much like her emotions, and a flash of lightning lit the sky for a brief moment. A flash that was reflected in her eyes. She looked down towards the ground, trying to avoid the massive stitched and bandaged wound on her stomach. Of all the things she could feel, it was the pain from the damage within her body. Her eyes flitted from her stomach, then to the grass, then back to her stomach. Another flash accrued above, and with it, came a rumble of thunder. Song welled in Twilight's heart, but it was anything but joyful. Hatred for the world seemed to ooze from her being, and her sadness quickly turned to anger. She felt small, useless, and weak. She couldn't stop the Prince when he captured her. She couldn't stop the Queen. And now, she was stuck being hidden away until the Elves were defeated.

"In the depths of my despair, I stand on shifting sands, A barren land where dreams once grew, held in my hooves, But now it's all been stolen, the future torn apart, I've lost the chance to give life, and it has finally broken my heart."

 "Oh, the darkness closing in, a world without a dawn, No hope for a tomorrow, no path to carry on, I mourn the loss of something I could never hold, The dreams of motherhood, in a story left untold."

A mournful orchestra played along behind her song, and she gave a sigh before continuing.

"I'm losing hope, love, and strength, it's slipping through my hooves. In this vast and empty space, I can't escape the sands, Of time that's cruel and unrelenting, taking all I own, I'm sinking deeper in despair, I'm all alone."

"Oh, the emptiness inside, where life was meant to bloom, The silence in my soul, like a never-ending tomb, I mourn the loss of something I could never hold, The dreams of motherhood, like precious, faded gold."

Twilight stared across the gray and stormy horizon. Her soaked mane blew slightly from the wind, and she slowly stood on four hooves. Her legs felt like lead, and she slowly walked towards the edge of the cliff. She could hear the waves crashing against the rocks, and she smiled a tear filled smile as her horn lit up.

Her own psyche battled against her, and a storm of emotions grew inside her. She felt sick, hungry, and angry. She had lost everything, just to survive. What good was it to have a few short positives in a sea of despair? They would leave her again, like they always had for the last two years. Even Dean was a temporary, and he had said so himself. She knew that his family had perished in the war on his world, but he was in such a fragile state that if she tried to help him, he may turn on her and the Resistance. 

There was a pop, and a long rope teleported to her side. Her eyes held a dead look, and as she got closer to the edge of the cliff, the Orchestra stopped, and she was left with nothing but her voice, and her thoughts.

 "Oh, the emptiness inside, where life was meant to bloom, The silence in my soul, like a never-ending tomb, I mourn the loss of something I could never hold, The dreams of motherhood, like precious, faded gold...."

Once more she sat, and her magic worked seemingly on autopilot. Within seconds, her wings were tied to her sides, but she didn't feel the rope as it bound what seemed to be her lifeline for what was to come.  A nullification ring was placed on her horn, and her magic was cut off from the world.

And so she sat. Minutes turned into an hour as she continued to contemplate within her own mind.

'What about Spike, and Dean, and the rest of the Resistance?'

'Dean will leave once the war is over. He doesn't love you, and he never will. You failed Spike when you fled Canterlot. You were weak, and you will only get him killed. The Resistance has lost so much already. If you die, then their problems will be fixed."

Suddenly, the broken voice of Chrysalis entered her mind.

"You do realize that if the Emperor gets his hands on that pony, it's all over... right? I was merely doing a favour."

A favor. The Queen, while malicious, had been trying to save the world. The Emperor needed her, likely for her magic, and the Queen was trying to deny him that. Was she really the bad guy? 

'Maybe I deserved to be tortured. I should have perished long ago. I should have just ended it. What hope is there anyway? The Emperor has won; he's unstoppable.'

No more tears fell from Twilight as she stared down the nearly one hundred meter drop. Jagged rocks marked the base, and she knew that if she fell, there would be no chance of survival. There would be no way for someone to save her, and it wasn't like she wanted to be saved anyway. She was done being the maiden in distress, the weakling. She was done being hidden away. The Emperor needed her alive, so she would die. Dean would no longer have to worry about her, and she would no longer need to burden the Resistance as they tried to protect her.

She scooted closer to the edge, and a few pebbles fell from the movement of her hooves. 

Her family was dead. Her friends were dead. She would never be able to bear a child, and would never experience her dreams. Chrysalis had been right. She was a liability. A threat. The world would be better off without her.

Twilight stood. The hatred was gone, as was the sadness. All that was left was a false belief of acceptance. A single tear fell down her cheek, one last time, and she looked into the sky. She could see the end of the storm from her vantage on the cliff, and she smiled as witnessed the last visage of sunlight she would ever experience

"Goodbye, Dean. Goodbye, Spike."

Her eyes closed, and a smile came to her face. She breathed one last time before taking a step into the open air and into the void below.

*****

Dean's fingers drummed to an unseen rhythm as he sat in a seat off to the side. The chair he was using was designed for bipedal creatures, likely Minotaurs, so he wasn't all that uncomfortable. However, even with his physical discomfort aside, he still had the lingering feeling inside him that something was wrong. 

Looking out the window, he could see the first vestiges of rain beginning to tap against the stained glass pains. He could see the fort from where he was sitting, and a single willow tree waved gently in the wind near the cliff. He could see ponies moving about, trying to get home, but he also caught sight of a shape sitting beneath said tree. Sadly, he could not make out any details, for a hazy mist was beginning to form, and the window itself was fogging up. Dean grunted, and instead opted to focus his attention back on the council chambers where a number of Ponies, Griffons, and even a Changeling and a Zebra took their places.

The chambers reminded him of the U.S senate, but on a much more simplistic scale. The wooden floors were shoddy, and creaked up a storm. The seats and cushions were nearly all dirty, and the ones that weren't used were covered in dust. Cobwebs littered the ceiling.

All in all, the building reflected the fact that Maritime Bay was struggling. 

Dean's eyes flicked to the Colonel sitting a few seats in front of him to the right, and noticed the old bird talking to one of his fellow soldiers. It had surprised Dean to learn that the Gryphons had at their disposal firearms, cannons, and other various machines of war. After the two had been properly introduced, Graybeard had begun a brief reason for them coming to Maritime Bay. As it turned out, Starlight Glimmer, the real one, had actually been in contact with the Gryphon Empire and had requested their help. As it turned out, the original Starlight had been captured the day he had arrived at Maritime Bay, and was apparently still recovering from her time stuck in the hive.

"Alright every...creature, I hereby commence this council meeting." Voices hushed, and Dean's attention refocused on the group of ponies sitting in a semi-circle before the entire assembly. He saw General Blight among them, but he did not recognize anyone else. "First, we must go through all who will be participating in this meeting. Bring in the first one." She called behind her.

There was the sound of opening doors, to the left of the building, and everyone's focus turned as two guards walked in through a side entrance. Behind them, attached to a rope, was a certain Dark Elven General. Dean scowled, and his features darkened upon seeing the Elf, who stood proud as ever despite the bruises and cuts along his arms and head. Dean noticed scars along his wrists, and immediately came to the conclusion that at some point, the General had attempted to take his own life in order to avoid interrogation. 

"Kneel." One of the guards ordered upon stopping before the bench. Atlas refused the order, and instead spat upon the ground in front of him. The lead mare, whom Dean still did not know the name of, nodded to the guards. 

The guard on the left took the but end of his spear and smashed it into the back of the former General's legs, causing him to collapse with a cry of pain. The other guard's horn lit up, and the Elf was forced to look up at the council before him. If he was intimidated, he didn't show it as he smiled a toothy smile.

"Here to judge me already? My, my, you ponies sure aren't very quick. I was starting to get bored down in that cell." The Elf quipped suddenly, causing the lead mare to scowl.

"Silence, Elf. Your trial was put on hold for reasons undisclosed. You are at our mercy now." Atlas merely smiled, but did not say another word. The mare gave a nod, and the door once more opened. This time, a gray Pegasus with a blonde mane and bubbles as a cutie-mark walked through. Dean's eyes immediately widened in recognition, and he sat straighter in his seat as anger coursed through him once more. It wasn't directed at the mare, but he could see the bruising, the milky eye, the missing ear, and the skinny stature. His hands balled into a fist as his glare switched to the General on the floor. It seemed he wasn't the only one, as many of the Gryphons shuffled around and ruffled their feathers. 

"The council brings in Mrs. Derpy Hooves as a witness."

Derpy was guided to the far side of the council room before standing at a small podium. She was facing the room, the Elf, and the council all at the same time, and Dean noticed how her gaze avoided one particular spot. As the speaker pony once again began Speaking, Dean's hearing picked up a bit of conversation two rows ahead of him.

"What a farce..."

"Nothing will be accomplished... Need him for bargaining..."

"...Waste of time..."

Dean tuned them out, and instead refocused himself on the council. Derpy had just finished speaking, and many eyes were directed towards him. He looked back and forth, aware that he had missed something, before a cough from the Colonel caught his attention.

"They called you up as a witness, First Sergeant."

His words caused Dean to blink, and within a second, he was up and walking towards the podium. He saw Derpy was now sitting off to the side, and upon catching her good eye, she smiled at him. Now, usually this would not affect the soldier, and he would just smile back, but the way that pony looked at him... he could feel the gratitude and hope physically radiating off of her. It was a bit uncanny that he was sensing this, and he didn't know how to explain it, so he chalked it up to the magical bullshit of the land. He did smile back, but his eyes told a different story. Quiet rage was there, but the mare seemed to detect it wasn't directed at her, and a small tear fell from her eye.

Upon reaching the podium, Dean paused as he found he towered over the small wooden stand. It didn't matter in reality, but it did make him seem like a giant.

"First Sergeant Dean Forrester, would you please tell the assembled council the details of your mission leading to the capture of General Atlas?"

Dean nodded and cleared his throat. He looked around at the many ponies and other creatures, and his gaze rested on the Zebra. His eyes narrowed, then widened in recognition, and he saw Zecora give a nod and a smile before gesturing for him to continue. Dean cleared his throat one more time before he noticeably straightened and saluted.

"With pleasure, ma'am." He said, his voice carrying across the room.

And so Dean began. He talked about his meeting with Zecora and Gilda, the walk through the wasteland, and encountering the monsters. He heard a quiet gasp from somewhere in the crowd, which had grown exponentially in the last few minutes, and his eyes swiveled to meet the culprit. He saw a small group of Crystal Ponies, and by the looks of it, they must have known something he didn't. However, questions could wait, so he decided to keep going.

"Once our plan was laid out, and everyone was in position, we quietly infiltrated the camp and began to clean it out. While the others in my squad were able to dispatch and capture many of the Dark Elves, I... decided to take one of the barracks on my own. Inside, I found the soldiers doing... insidious things to a teenaged filly... so I eliminated everyone present. I wasn't fast enough to save the pony."

A few in the crowd had tears in their eyes, and even some of the Gryphons looked shaken up. Dean blinked before realizing he had been staring off into space for a good moment. He gave his head another quick shake, but before he could continue, a single laugh penetrated the building.

All noise stopped, save for the barking laugh of the Elven General kneeling on the floor. Dean scowled, but before he could speak, Atlas managed to finally get a few words out.

"Heheheh, this... this is hilarious!" The Elf giggled again before straightening up and looking towards Dean, a twisted smirk on his face. 

"Look at you, Demon. You can hardly speak of what my kind has done without a waver in your words. Are you not a battle hardened soldier? A force of nature that would crush the Dark Elven Empire? I may be weak, fat, and pathetic, especially among my peers, but this is just sad!"

Dean growled and made to move around the podium, but the Elves face suddenly grew even more twisted. His eyes were bloodshot, and the tips of his ears tinged red. His skin seemed to darken, and a nearly invisible black cloud seemed to float around him. No one noticed this dark magic, for they were focused on the words of the General.

"You know this trial is to make it seem like you have everything under control, like you still have the upper hand. It's supposed to humiliate me by sentencing me to rot in the dungeon, but let's face it... this changes nothing! When the trial is finished, things will go back to normal, and soon enough, my fellow kin will slaughter you all like the animals you are!!" His voice raised to encompass the whole room. His eyes glared a challenge into Dean's own, and the man felt his fists clench at his sides as an idea sprung to his head. His menacing scowl soon turned into a sickly smile, and he began slowly walking forwards. All the while, the General continued. 

"Your forces are too small, your allies across the sea are soon to be crushed! You got me, you got the Prince... but let's face it, you Equestrians are DOOM-- herk!"

Atlas was cut off when Dean's gloved hand wrapped around his throat and hoisted him into the air. The Elf kicked silently as his face started to turn blue, and Dean's smile never wavered. If anything, it became more sinister, and once again, that invisible black cloud seemed to hover across the room.

Now, Atlas was not light. He weighed nearly three hundred pounds of fat, and given his short stature, it was an awkward carry. Dean managed, and in a feat of strength, threw the General across the room, causing him to smash headfirst through an empty desk before rolling to a stop at the base of the stairs. Dean looked at the guards, who were standing in shock, and pointed a thumb over his shoulder.

"I would like one of you to find a cage big enough to fit the Elf inside. The other will go and retrieve Prince Trignar and bring him here." 

His words were soft, but the authority behind them caused the two unicorns to spring into action. Once they were through the doors, and the room had quieted down, Dean turned back to Atlas, who was groaning pitifully on the floor. He stalked over, and every eye in the room followed him as he approached the downed Elf. Upon reaching him, he grabbed the Elf by a leg and dragged him across the floor to the center of the room. Looking around, Dean noticed a few winces among the crowd, but upon looking at Colonel Graybeard, he noticed something peculiar:

Curiosity.

Dean smiled inwardly, as his face had once more resumed its neutral mask, and he threw the Elf down on the floor. The man turned and faced the council, their looks of shock being all the tell he needed. He had their attention, and no he meant business. He needed to take control of the room, and by doing what he did, he would hopefully gain a bit more respect. The only pony he knew on the council was General Blight, but he knew from word of mouth that the rest of the council didn't know what to think of him. 

'Maybe fear isn't the best plan...?' Dean inwardly asked himself. He was tired, stressed, and trying to convey the threat that they now faced. He needed to instill hope in these ponies, not make them more afraid. Hopefully what he just did was enough to merely garner attention. He couldn't afford to be second guessing himself. Not now.

"Councilors. Has the General been properly interrogated?" Dean raised an eyebrow when General Blight opened his mouth to speak. After Shining's attempted interrogation of Dean, the man wasn't overly impressed with pony capabilities. He had talked to the General about some Human methods, but only in passing. Maybe they had implemented his information?

"Sergeant, we weren't able to garner information from the Elf. Nothing we did seemed to work on him, and we have no unicorns here who can infiltrate the mind."

Dean involuntarily shuddered suddenly, and goosebumps appeared on the back of his neck and on his arms. The feeling passed in an instant, but it was enough to shake the Human soldier. 

"I-I see. In that case, I will be using a method I know of. We will have him talking within three days maximum."

Before Dean could continue, the Elf at his feet laughed.

"And what might that be, oh wise one? You Humans were barbaric before your fall. I imagine all you know how to do is kill. Interrogation? Please. You are as bad as these ponies, and just as soft too." Atlas chuckled before going silent. Dean merely stared at him before slowly smiling.

"Well... When I hang you over the cliffs in nothing but a cage and your birthday suit, we will see just how soft I can be. Maybe I should peel your skin off above the nerves? Rip out each individual fingernail... Maybe I can light your hair on fire and watch you scream for mercy as your skin begins to melt and char like wax."

Through his little speech, Dean's voice became something akin to a growl. His features darkened, and his figure loomed over the Elven General. Atlas's face grew pale, and he slowly began to crawl backwards away from the Human towering before him.

"I could drill a hole through your palms? Or maybe I could flay your back open until your organs hang in the open air while you still breathe. That one is my favorite." 

"Sergeant Dean, I believe that is enough."

The words caused Dean to blink, and he suddenly realized he was towering over the Elf and the ponies at the bench. He had been holding a maniacal sneer, and his hands were balled into fists. Never before had he said such dark things, nor felt the need to cause so much pain. Even through seven years of hell, he kept up the polite attitude towards his comrades and civilians. Now here he was, showing his true side to the many ponies he was trying to protect. 

Whispers began in his ears, and Dean could not tell if they were from the ones behind him, or if it was his own subconscious. Dark thoughts clouded his mind, and Dean became slightly self-aware of his own mental state. No sleep for nearly a week, seven years of constant fighting, only to end up on another planet and see it too is engulfed in a war. Not once did he stop to consider himself, not until he came to this new world. 

"Ahem, apologies. I was merely demonstrating my array of techniques to acquire information." Dean gave the Elf one last glare before turning to the council members. His face was once more a neutral mask. "I was not kidding about the hanging from the cliffs in a cage. General Atlas will be stuck there until he decides to talk. No food will be given to him, and no clothing shall be provided for him. If he decides he wants to spill his secrets, only then will he be pulled up and placed in a secure location."

Dean noticed the General's face go pale before his lips and jowls to flap as he tried to come up with a rebuttal for the Sergeants punishment.

"Atlas was right about one thing, and one thing only." Dean's voice suddenly grew powerful, and his words echoed across the large room. A flash of lightning went off through the window, and it made more than a few jump in their seats. Dean slowly began walking around the middle of the assembly hall. 

"This posturing will solve nothing. In the end, imprisoning him will make no difference." Dean signaled to a guard off to the side and pointed at the shivering Elf. The guard nodded before her horn lit up, and the former General was carried away through the doors and out of sight. There were mumblings in the crowd, and Dean decided it was time to get started on why he called the meeting in the first place.

"This war has taken much from you all. Family, friends, homes, land... and much more. I was brought here to rectify this issue, and end the Elven menace before it was too late." He heard a few scoffs in the crowd, but surprisingly enough, the Colonel was nodding in agreement. Before Dean could continue, a voice interrupted him.

"Too late for what, Human?"

Dean turned and regarded the speaker. It was the older looking mare that sat at the head of the council, and her piercing eyes seemed to bore into him. Dean was unfazed.

"It has come to my attention that the Elves are planning something. I don't have the full details, and I will be calling up the one who does, but what I can tell you is that in twelve days, this war will end."

There was a chorus of shouts, some in excitement, some in disbelief. Dean immediately realized that the ponies had taken this news the wrong way, and he felt saddened that he was about to crush their hope with whatever the Changeling would say in the next minute. He glanced towards Zecora and Gilda, and noticed the Changeling, who must be Thorax, was staring right at him.

Dean raised his hand, and the room immediately went quiet. His gaze swept to and fro, and more than a few wilted away from his look. His neutral expression never changed as he lowered his hand.

"I would like to call the Changeling known as Thorax to the assembly. From what I am aware of, he has vital information as he was a spy in Canterlot."

All heads turned towards the Changeling, who suddenly looked as if he wanted to bury himself in his seat. Hostile looks were thrown his way, and more than a few ponies hooves drifted towards various weapons on their bodies. Dean saw a guard to his left light her horn. The magic surrounded the hilt of her sword, but she did not draw the weapon.

Dean's attention was diverted when the steady clop of Thorax's hooves sounded before him, and looking down, he saw the Changeling was standing before the podium and shivering up a storm. Dean sighed before nudging the bug with a boot. He despised their kind, but he knew this particular drone was important. Said bug-pony looked at him in fear, and his shivering intensified.

"Tell them what you know, and speak with force. I will ensure nobody decides to attack you." Dean whispered loud enough for Thorax to hear. The Changeling nodded before going rigid and taking his place at the speaker's podium. He cleared his throat a few times, and shuffled twice before everything went silent. There was a moment's hesitation before he began to speak.

"Ehem... I...uh, I come before y-you all today to deliver news from my o-operation as a spy for Queen Chrysalis." There were mumblings in the crowd, and both Dean and Thorax winced. The drone cleared his throat once more before continuing.

"What I am about to tell you is not in any way good information. I was able to listen in on one of the Emperor's meetings, and I have discovered his sinister plot for our world." With confidence, Thorax stared up at the assembled Equestrians and Griffons. His front hooves twirled in anxiousness.

"The Emperor has found a spell. This spell is ancient, from what I gathered, and was originally created by the late King Sombra. The Emperor described it as a way to end the war, and upon sneaking into his room and reading the book, I can safely say that if we do not do something... the entirety of Equis is doomed."

There was a brief moment of silence before an uproar caused Thorax to cover his ears with his hooves. Even Dean was suddenly taken by surprise at the sudden volume, and his hand twitched towards his side-arm before he remembered where he was.

"Liar!"

"Impossible!"

"Where is the proof!"

Many different phrases were thrown about, but they soon became a jumble as everyone tried to get their voices heard. The council leader, the old pony, banged her gavel, but it could not be heard amongst the noise. Dean sighed before unclipping his P23 and removing the silencer. Ponies were in each other's faces now, and some were even pointing weapons at Thorax. The poor Changeling hid behind the speaker's podium as a means of refuge.

Pointing his pistol above his head, Dean squeezed the trigger.

KRACK!!!

Silence.

Everyone had stopped, and all were looking at him in shock. His glare traveled across the room, and slowly but surely, everyone returned to their seats. Thorax was peaking over the podium, and Dean gestured to him with his free hand.

Thorax took a deep breath before continuing his tale.

"It was a spell... a horrible spell..."

*****

"My Emperor, are you certain this will work? The ways of the late King Sombra were mysterious and dangerous! How do we know this won't affect us as well?"

There was silence in the throne room as the assembled generals and officers looked to their Emperor. Dommik's fingers drummed against the arm on his throne, and his eyebrows were scrunched as he stared at his fellow's question. This went on for nearly a minute, and the assembled leaders shuffled in anxiety as their Emperor said nothing. It wasn't until a younger Elf, a field marshal, opened his mouth to speak did the Emperor then answer the question.

"Do you have such little faith in the Holy Destroyer, General? Do you have such little faith in the power we as a society now possess; in my plan to rid the world of all who shall oppose us? We will be the Destroyer's grand army, and we will conquer the cosmos as she has promised!"

The offending General gulped as his ears wilted backwards. Even with the silky voice of the Emperor, he knew he was taking a risk in questioning his plans. However, as a leader within the ranks, it was his duty to voice his concerns. He knew many of his fellows didn't fully grasp the nature of this spell, so it was only right that he bring this towards the Emperor.

"I sense you are confused, General Moloch. So, let me reiterate. This spell requires something known as the Elements of Harmony, and I currently possess five of the six. The matrix is complicated, and I only know it due to my vast magical power, but with all six combined elements on the blood moon, this spell will destroy the soul of anything that isn't a Dark Elf."

There was a palpable silence as those last words were uttered, and many exchanged looks of disbelief. A crash of thunder, from a storm to the west, rocked the castle, and the assembled group jumped as a wicked grin extended across his face. However, unlike any normal creature, the Emperor's demented smile only seemed to grow, turning into something akin to a Cheshire grin. Only one elf, the Field Marshall, caught a glimpse of the look out of the corner of his eye, but he did not say a word for fear of being smitten on the spot. 

Within a split second, the look was gone. Replaced by the ever calculating eyes of a tyrant. The Emperor harrumphed as General Moloch once again spoke his mind.

"Y-your excellency, soul magic has never been performed! The only known record of such a thing was when Sombra banished the Crystal Empire. How could such a ritual exist!"

Emperor Dommik raised an eyebrow before giving a soft chuckle.

"My esteemed General, how do you think I made that monster? After killing those two self-proclaimed gods, the Destroyer provided me the means to... repurpose their fleeting souls and bodies. This ritual I have discovered will work in a different way. When it is complete, the souls of those around the planet will be given to the Destroyer as sacrifice. Such power will make her unstoppable, and with our combined might, no being will stand in our way."

The Emperor chuckled darkly, and once again, an uncomfortable feeling washed over the assembly.

"Wouldn't that make every creature on the planet nothing more than... animals?" Moloch asked, his voice a whisper. While it was normal for him to participate in sexual conduct with the enslaved races, he would never willingly fuck an animal. 

The Emperor hummed and once more drummed his fingers on the arm of his throne. He chuckled upon realizing what his General was getting at.

"Yes and no, General Moloch. They would be more akin to vegetables. No proper function. An animal still has a soul, some of which are even magical. No, the races of this planet will be rendered useless and retarded. They will die out, and the world will be left brazen and desolate. There is no need to fear, however, as we will be long gone by then in our conquest beside the Destroyer."

Dommick smirked as he looked at his Generals, and out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a side door slowly close with a quiet thud. His smirk turned to a sneer as a few heads turned towards the disturbance.

"And so it begins..."

*****

The Council was shocked. The spectators were shocked. The Human was shocked. No one said a word, for what was there to say. Dean had not thought of such a scenario, not even in his head. This was worse than anything he could have anticipated, and that was saying something. Unlike the Orith, the world would be reduced to mindless, zombie-like entities, himself included. Even death was a better alternative.

With a gulp, Dean forced his eyes away from Thorax and towards the window at the top of the building. Now more than ever did his plan need to work. If he failed, and the Emperor got his hands on Twilight... it was over. 

'Queen Chrysalis had a point.'

"Shut up." Dean mumbled to his subconscious as he immediately expelled the thought. He would never see his friends die again; he had a way to prevent it. He knew Twilight liked him, he wasn't an idiot, but Dean was a man of commitment. He had a life elsewhere. 

That said, he would never abandon Twilight, not in a million years. He had a duty, and he would be damned if he let the Dark Elves get away with her.

'This ritual is too much of a threat. You must leave and end the Emperor now. You will only get everyone hurt!'

Dean shook his head again at the foreign thought. He didn't want anyone to get hurt, and maybe he was capable of simply killing the Emperor, but he knew the risk was too high. He needed help, and this was the best way to get it.

A crack of thunder shook the building, and Dean blinked. It was still deadly silent in the room, and upon taking a glance around, Dean realized the emotion had gone from shock to dread. They were suddenly realizing the implications of the Elves being successful, and with his attuned hearing and eyesight, he was able to see and hear the panic beginning to spread.  Even the Griffons seemed shaken, and many of them were looking towards their Colonel for an answer. The old bird was dead quiet, and a look of denial was in his eyes. 

Dean sighed and raised his hand. It was now or never.

"EVERYONE LISTEN!" His shout startled many, and the room went quiet as they focused on him. He saw looks of worry, looks of outright fear... and looks of hope. It was those looks that spurred him on, and he prepared to make a speech.

"Everyone listen to me. While this news is horrible, we must remember one thing. The Emperor cannot complete his plan!" Dean's voice grew bold as he spread his arms wide and slowly walked around the room. "I look at you all, and I see the marks of this long and hard fought war. I see that some of you believe that this ritual the Emperor intends to conduct will end in his victory. I assure you, HE IS WRONG!!"

Dean's shout was punctuated as his fist fell to the speaker's podium, causing a few to jump and Thorax to give a squeak. He saw out of the corner of his eye that the Prince and two guards were standing in the doorway, and they seemed to be latching on to his words with rapt attention. Everyone was. They needed a saviour, and someone to lead them. Maybe it was selfish, but Dean knew the mantle was now his whether he liked it or not. 

"The Princess is safe, and you all heard that without the sixth Element of Harmony, he cannot prevail! Hear me when I tell you this: Your training, your suffering, and your resolve has brought you to this moment. The Emperor will come for the Princess, but only if we let him! I say that instead of hiding, and instead of delaying... we bring the fight to him!"

Muttering began at Dean's words, and the Griffon's were nodding in agreement. Energy was building in Dean's chest, and he held a fist in the air.

"Your people, your planet will not go quietly into the night! You cannot go without a fight! In six days, we march on Canterlot, and we end this war. Once. And. For. All!"

A sudden cheer filled the room, and for a brief moment, the sounds of rain and thunder were pushed to the background. Suddenly, the noise became focused and two words were repeated by the entire room. Dean realized that many guards, and more townsfolk were gathered inside and outside the building. From what he could see, half of the town was suddenly spectating.

"NEVER SURRENDER!"
"NEVER SURRENDER!"
"NEVER SURRENDER!"

The chant continued, and the darkness inside Dean was pushed to the side as he became invigorated. The turnaround from hopeless to hopeful was cathartic. He had successfully shown the ponies in his time in Equestria that it was possible to win, and he had no doubt that at this point, they would follow him. They understood that failing meant the destruction of their world, and so they also understood that they must fight to secure the future. Dean held his hand in the air, and the chanting slowly stopped. A smile was on his face, and looks of energy and readiness were on those surrounding him. He gave a quick glance around before bringing his hand down.

"Go now! Rest and be with your families. But know that soon, we will set out on the great crusade. We will not flag or fail, we will go on to the end. And when it is finished, the Elven regime will be destroyed, and you, your kin, and your countries will be free!"

With another mighty cheer, ponies departed for their homes. The storm would soon be over, and on the morrow, preparations would begin. Dean turned towards Trignar and his two guards.

"That was one hell of a speech, Sergeant." Trignar stated; his guards nodded in agreement. Dean still didn't like the Elf, not after everything he had done, but he needed him, and Trignar had proven he could be trusted to a degree. He decided to accept the compliment.

"It likely won't be the last I'll have to do, but I guess it was." Dean noticed the council members questioning looks, along with a Colonel who was standing beside them. Dean gestured to follow him, and the Elf, his guards, and the man stood before the council.

"Incredible speech, Sergeant Dean. May I ask why you have brought our prisoner here? As far as I am concerned, this is one of our enemies!" The older speaker's words caused the rest of the council to nod. Colonel Graybeard gave the Elf a look of disdain.

"He still is, ma'am, but Prince Trignar has offered us information that could prove vital to the coming mission. Tomorrow, we will all meet and plan our attack. Trignar here will be present at the meeting. I can a--"

"Do you trust him, Sergeant?" Graybeards' voice interrupted the man, causing him to give a start. Dean turned to regard the Colonel, and the two stared at one another. After a moment, and without looking away, Dean nodded.

"I do, to a degree. I may hate his kind, and what he has done, but he has proven his worth. While he has much to atone for, he is vital to the mission. Once we win the war, we will decide what to do with him."

The Colonel didn't say anything for a moment, and Dean feared he had broken the old bird. After a moment, Graybeard nodded and shuffled towards the door. 

"Very well. I will see you tomorrow."

As Dean watched him go, another foreboding feeling came over him. For a moment, he thought he saw the cliffs of Maritime Bay, and he thought he heard the soft singing of one Princess Twilight. However, it was gone in an instant, and Dean shook his head. The feeling inside him grew, but he could deal with that in a moment. He turned and nodded to the two guards, who then proceeded to pull Trignar away. The Elf yelped from the sudden pull of magic, but was soon out the door.

Once again, a vision flashed before him, and the singing had stopped. Sweat built on his neck as he suddenly became antsy, and he felt the sudden need to get back to the barracks.

Turning, he nearly ran into a certain Zebra and Gilda. 

Sparing no time he gestured towards the doors.

"Why don't you two join me at the barracks? There is a sing-along happening tonight, and I'm sure we could use a bit of fun." Dean forced a smile, and Gilda fuffed before nodding. His subconscious was screaming at him now, and the moment the two nodded, he was off.

"Alright, let's go." 

Without sparing the councilors a goodbye, he power walked out into the rain. His two companions followed him. His senses screamed at him, and Dean cursed under his breath. A flash of lightning lit the sky, and thunder soon followed in his wake.

Another vision flashed, and he saw purple hooves shifting at the edge of the cliff. A sunset could be seen in the distance, and he heard humming.

Suddenly, Dean was jogging. Buildings passed him by in a flash. He caught a glimpse of Spike off to the side and heard him call out, but he had no time to answer. Dread spurred his legs faster, and he was now running. He didn't know where the location was, but those visions had only happened once before. 

He would not make the same mistake again.

Dean heard Zecora and Gilda shout to him, but he was too far ahead now to hear them properly. The rain passed by like sleet, and each drop stung his skin as it made contact. Another flash of lightning, and Dean suddenly saw the giant tree from his vision. He could also see the pony sitting at the edge of the cliff.

Another flash, another vision. He heard her goodbye, and he saw her movement.

Putting on more speed, Dean watched as his friend took a step off the edge before teetering slightly in the open air. Tears filled his eyes as he pushed his body to the limit. He knew he wasn't moving fast enough, and without his exo-suit, he felt powerless to get there in time. He could see the rope binding Twilight's wings and the ring on her horn, and he could see her start to fall forwards.

"NO!" 

His scream caused Twilight's eyes to flash open, but by then it was too late. She flailed, lost her balance, and the rocks gave out from beneath her. With a silent cry, she fell.

Dean didn't know when it happened, but he suddenly found himself flying over the edge of the cliff. His right hand latched onto Twilight's hoof, and his left flashed out and grabbed a decent sized rock jutting from the cliff. He gave a grunt as his arm took his and Twilight's bodyweight, and the strain caused a spike of pain to run up his arm. He felt his fingers slipping on the soaked rock face, and his hand slowly drew closer to the edge.

He heard Twilight scream something, but paid it no mind as he prepared to do something. He gave a breath, then two, before with a mighty yell, he tossed the Alicorn over his head and onto the ledge.

Then he was falling.

Dean let out an undignified yelp as the sounds of crashing waves and rushing wind entered his mind. Time slowed down as he flailed and tried to turn midair. His chances of surviving the fall were low, and if he did, the rocks and currents would surely kill him.

Two talons hooked under his armpits, and his rapid descent came to a halt. Dean's heart hammered in his chest as Gilda slowly carried him back to the top of the cliff without a word.

Upon being placed on the ground, he noticed Twilight was laying under the tree, soaking wet, and sobbing. Without hesitation Dean ran and fell down beside her. She flinched away at his sudden intrusion, but she was quickly wrapped in his arms. Dean unzipped his jacket and quickly placed the shivering and crying pony inside. 

"It's alright, you're alright."

Dean rocked the little alicorn as he sat beneath the tree, and at some point, Spike and Zecora soon caught up to them. They stood still, watching as Dean rocked the Alicorn in his jacket.

After another thirty seconds, Dean felt her chest moving rhythmically with his own, and he realized she had fallen asleep. He continued the rocking motion, but at this point, emotions were clouding his mind. 

'You almost didn't make it.'

'She almost died.'

'Where were you when she needed you most? Giving speeches.'

Dean had just about lost someone he cared about once again. It was then that another voice found itself in his head.

'You saved her life, and you were there when she needed you. We all fall sometimes, but what matters is who is there to catch us. Protect her, Dean.'

After a moment, Dean nodded. His head was on her chin, and while he was listening to the voices in his head, he didn't notice three words escaping from his mouth.

"I love you."

Dean blinked and suddenly realized there were three creatures looking at him. He gave a sigh before slowly standing.

"Common, let's not allow this to ruin the night. Let's go have fun, and tomorrow, we work towards a better future. One where these sorts of situations don't happen." Before he could move, Gilda walked forward, and with a slice of her talons, the rope came off of Twilight. The mare let out a sigh of relief and seemed to snuggled closer into Dean's chest. The man Straightened and gave a nod of thanks to Gilda.

With that, he was off. The four slowly walked the final distance to the fortress, and did not look back to the willow tree upon the cliff. Another flash of lightning lit the sky, and the ghostly image of a certain Alicorn stood beneath the branches. A second flash flew across the sky, and she was gone. Nothing was left except for the lone tree, and the sorrows of Princess Twilight Sparkle.

0