Chapter 54: Hold Position
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Beijing, China

Unit: Global Operations Unit

Date: 4th January 2030

Perched on the second floor of a dilapidated building, Mclaw leaned against the sturdy frame, his gaze fixed on the desolation wasteland of trench lines ahead. Eleven years had passed since the nuclear devastation, yet the remnants of the Chinese government’s attempts at reconstruction lay in ruins. Despite their efforts, the relentless advance of the NZA forces broke any possibility of progress. The city remained a target, battered by artillery barrages and relentless airstrikes. They shattered the already wrecked infrastructure.

Mclaw inspected his ebony and gilded blade with meticulous care. Not a solitary chip or dent was present on its surface; a grin spread across his face in satisfaction. Peering into the distance, he caught sight of a dazzling flash emanating from a tank’s muzzle, just as a shell whizzed perilously close to his face. Yet, he remained undisturbed, his composure unwavering even as the resounding explosion engulfed the earth just beyond the edifice.

He withdrew a laser from his pocket, aiming it towards the origin of the shell. Clicking a button atop, another shell descended from above, striking the enemy's position and launching its turret skyward with a thunderous explosion. Descending the shattered stairs, he ventured into the trench line, navigating past numerous Chinese militia members armed with QBZ-95 assault rifles. Their gear appeared well-used, and their attire resembled civilian wear, a harsh difference from what they saw in the States.

He entered a bunker as he walked down the main hall and into the second room on the right. “I just encountered an enemy scout tank about two klicks out. Lake, didn’t you have eyes on it?”

Lake checked his cameras. “Negative, I can’t see it.”

Mclaw tapped the desk as he looked up, “Zeller, I want you on Overwatch. Lake, take your fireteam towards the wreck. I want to know why. That could be new NZA tech.” Mclaw said.

Lake and Zeller both stood up, “Yes Sir.”

They exited as Mclaw leaned over the desk, “How close are 1st Para?”

Mabasa grabbed his laptop. “Yesterday they were 50 klicks out, south, moving on foot.” he placed it on the table. “They don’t want to give accurate pings in case certain people get a hold of them. And we can’t find them with Project Asgard, as one of their officers knows how to avoid it from files we found at the relay on East Falkland.” He paused, as Mclaw rubbed his eyes, “There’s light cavalry holding the left flank 30 klicks southeast. Light Dragoons, to be specific. I’m not sure exactly what’s happened or why they are positioned there. But they seem to be holding position.”

Mclaw scratched his chin. “I see.” He eyed the diagram of the map, all known troop movements. Quite obviously, most of it was outdated by 24 hours to prevent leaks, but still useful none the less. He focused on it. “Who would have thought giving him our tactics would backfire?”

In a flash of light, an explosion went off in the distance as Mclaw pressed down on his radio, the PUURS. “Ground team. This is Mclaw, I need a sitrep. What was that explosion? Over.”

Lakes’ voice came back over, “Sir! Fucking enemy APCs!”

The ear deafening gunfire came through Mclaw’s headset between words. Mclaw ran outside, pulling up his laser pointer and activating his heads up display, “Drop a ping! Over.”

The marker went up into the sky as Mclaw grabbed a set of Binocular from a rack looking at the marker. “Looks like two.” He clicked twice as he spoke into his radio, “Ground team, danger close inbound. Over.”

Streaks of air shot up from the distance as they smashed into the two APCs. Several GOU operators appeared from the ground, cleaning up any deployed infantry on the ground. Lake’s silhouette appeared in the treeline. “All enemies KIA. Over.” His radio crackled as Mclaw nodded. Then he noticed the anti air guns were tracking onto something.

Mclaw turned to look at where they were pointing. He couldn’t see anything. Then a cry came over the radio, “EM-“ The voice cut off as the radio momentarily went silent. Mclaw looked through his sight. Noticing the reticle wasn’t on, he flicked the switch back and forth.

He turned around as he saw something strike behind them. A huge fireball erupted as the militia men dived to the ground, covering their face. Mclaw looked over it, eyes wide as he spoke over the radio, “What the hell is going on? Over.”

Zeller’s voice came through the radio, “Shit! Gibson and Turner were stationed there!” Mclaw dived out of the trench, breaking into a full sprint.

Entering the thick black smoke he placed on his gasmask. Just as three figures appeared out of the smoke. Mclaw stopped, “Identify!”

A muffled Scottish voice spoke through their gasmask, “Gillie.” Gillie emerged, carrying both Gibson and Turner over his shoulders.

Mclaw took one from him as they carried them out of the smoke. The flames were still burning as Mclaw kicked in the door of an abandoned building. Lifting the operators inside, Mclaw removed their gas masks. They looked relatively fine underneath.

Gillie spoke, “Mounts! Get to me fucking position now!” He paused. “We have two Golf Operatives Whiskey India Alpha, over!”

Mounts’s voice came back through, “Roger, burn type? over.”

Mclaw called out, “Minor, they seemed to have been inside from the explosion, but their lungs are filled with smoke. Over.”

Mount’s voice came back, “Roger, I have a treatment kit on the way. Keep them away from that smoke, out.”

A vehicle came barrelling down the street as it halted in front of the building. Mounts and two Chinese militia medics barrelled out, entering the building. Mounts entered wearing his gas mask. “Clear the room.”

Mclaw stepped outside as he saw the smoke move towards the frontline. His eyes narrowed beneath his mask as they widened. He reached for his radio. “Anyone near the front, watch that smoke. Out.”

The door opened as Mclaw stepped back in. The two were breathing from canisters. Gibson spoke through a cough, “It was an EMP, sir. They followed that up with artillery barrages to the fuel storage, ammo dump and barracks.”

Mclaw nodded, “I see, heal up well, boys. We can expect an attack in a few minutes.” Mclaw walked out as he climbed on the vehicle. “Back to the front!”

The Chinese driver nodded as he turned the vehicle around. It barrelled down the road as Mclaw looked over the scene. Machine guns from both sides were engaging each other as the infantry were assisting in laying down cover fire.

Stopping at the entrance to the trench line, Mclaw jumped off. Mabasa was waiting for him. “Sir, it’s an enemy main force. Consisting mostly of robotic enemies, they only to be armed to that of a standard infantryman, but we are losing defending forces left and right.”

Mclaw nodded, “Can we get artillery?”

Mabasa shook his head. “Negative, they have air defence hiding behind the infantry. And to make matters worse, they have mortars and we have no C-RAMs, thanks to the EMP.”

Mclaw sighed, “Fine.”

He walked through the trench as Mabasa. Mclaw started to light flame barrels as he muttered a few words Mabasa didn’t understand. It seemed like it was Latin. Mclaw spoke, “Inform the troops to fall back to the second trench line. I’ll deal with the NZA.”

Mabasa nodded, not questioning him. Quickly running off, Mclaw climbed onto the bank of the trench as bullets whizzed around him. The flames arose into the sky across the trench line, forming streaks behind Mclaw. And then they started to fall forward.

Slicing straight through the enemy infantry, Mclaw watched as the slaughter tore through hundreds. He couldn’t tell if they were soldiers or robots. He didn’t care. Starting to feel his hand go limp, he attempted to bring his arm up. He couldn’t. His legs beginning to feel heavy.

The pillars started to disintegrate as the battlefield was ever so slightly quieter.

He entered the trench, his movements hampered by a limp as he retraced his steps. Every fibre of his being throbbed with pain. He struggled to raise his rifle, instead opting to twirl it around his body before drawing his sidearm. Swiftly pivoting, he discharged two rounds at an NZA soldier who emerged over the embankment. Reaching the second line, he lowered himself to a seated position as Chinese soldiers kept a vigilant watch.

A call came over the radio. “More tanks!”

He sighed as Chinese troops pulled up launchers. They fired as the rocket hit the first tank between its turret and hull, causing a cook-off. Its turret was thrown into the air with a pillar of flames.

Then, appearing from the treelines, more than twenty tanks and APCs emerged. Mclaw’s eyes widened as he gulped, “Well, shit.”

They were already in the first trench line. York ran up to Mclaw, “Sir.”

Mclaw gave him an icy stare. “Hit the detonator.”

York flicked open a lid on a small stick as he hit the button down. Immediately, a huge explosion consumed the first few tanks and IFVs as they pushed through. Then more kept moving through the flames as rockets hit them. Some were destroyed, but some missiles bounced off and some stopped by the armour.

Mclaw stood up again. He could barely hold himself up, “Dammit. Order a retreat to the third trench line. We won’t be able to hold this. I’ll buy us some time... again.”

Just as he lifted himself up, he fell to a knee. He used all his strength to stand and gritted his teeth. Gillie appeared next to him. He pointed at two Chinese. “Take the Captain back. Inform the SAS stationed to the west of the city to attempt to flank any enemies and destroy those enemy C-RAMs.”

These Chinese nodded as they picked up Mclaw. He wasn’t resisting. He nodded at Gillie. “Give em hell.”

Gillie smiled, “Aye aye, Sir.”

Gillie sat beside Mabasa while Mclaw was being carried down the trench. “We need to hold out until the SAS can neutralise those guns.” He paused. “Though I wouldn’t be surprised if they were too late.”

Mabasa looked over. “Yeah. Fuckers really cause an issue.”

The vehicle’s main gun opened up on the trenches as Mabasa and Gillie ducted below. They moved further down as they appeared again. Quickly climbing over the top, they came at a 90-degree angle to the first APC. Moving against the side, Gillie heard a click as the back door opened. Gillie pulled a grenade as Mabasa kept his eye through his sight. Reaching over the door, still noticing its opening, he tossed the grenade in, slamming it shut. They both dived to the floor as the vehicle exploded, sending shrapnel into the sky.

Just as Gillie looked back, two metallic creatures clambered out of the fire as they noticed him. Immediately, they both pulled sidearms as Gillie and Mabasa opened fire in sync. Gillie felt a thud in his chest, like a sledgehammer had just hit him. He still kept on firing.

The androids collapsed as Mabasa grabbed Gillie, pulling him back into the trench. Gillie stood up, clicking his shoulder, “Twats.” He patted Mabasa on the shoulder as the vehicle was smoking in front of them. “One down, several more to go.”

Another APC crossed the trench as Mabasa noticed it turning its gun the opposite way to them. Several militia men on the other side opened fire with small arms on the vehicle’s side as it spun towards them immediately, incinerating them.

Mabasa whistled as York ran up to him. “How much you got?”

York threw down his backpack. “Too much.”

Gillie pulled a chain of explosives from the bag. Running up to the tank, he places it on the side clicking a button, “GET AWAY, FIFTEEN SECONDS!”

He dived as the three of them took cover in a bunker. The three operators looked down as an enormous explosion went off outside. Both Gillie and Mabasa looked at York, as York said, “What? I needed to get rid of it!”

Mabasa sighed as he walked out. Immediately firing two shots, an NZA soldier dropped into the trench. York pulled two grenades, tossing them over the top, followed by two explosions and several screams.

More enemy soldiers appeared as they engaged the GOU operatives. Moving backwards, the operatives pushed along the trench. Moving down the connecting trench to the third line, they kept moving back. A tank passed next to them as Mabasa grabbed another chain of explosives from York’s pack. Jumping out of the trench, both Gillie and York kept close to him as he planted the explosives on the engine.

The three jumped back in, leaning against the bank as the tank exploded in all directions. York noticed a shadow as he fired down the way they came.

Mabasa looked forward. “There’s too many of them… we are too open. We need to retreat.”

Gillie looked back, “Agreed.”

Back at the fifth trench line, Mclaw looked over the battlefield. He had three empty tubes next to him. One had “Adrenaline” in a black marker written on it, while the other two were smudged. Mclaw held his binoculars as he watched them. The rest of his team was pulling back to the fourth trench line. “It won’t be long until we are overrun.”

Another British man walked next to him. “My men have encountered stiff resistance on the enemy’s right flank.” He said, “We should organise a full retreat. Abandon the city.”

Mclaw looked up the hillside as he saw a small trace of movement peek over the brow. Like a few strands of grass. “Do you believe in luck, Major?”

The British officer looked at Mclaw. “Luck is what we make of it, Sir.”

Mclaw grinned. “Was James Thompson being on that bus luck, then?”

The British officer froze up as he remembered the start of the war. That name… he knew it. He heard a call from the past, “Hey mate, I need a favour... when the gunman gets here, talk to him.” The officer looked at Mclaw as his eyes narrowed. “Sir. The hero of the bus is dead.”

Mclaw pointed at the mountain. “Is he?”

Just then, there were several loud explosions across the battlefield and behind enemy lines. The Major’s eyes widened as he noticed figures in British MTP hiding in the shadows of the treelines. They were armed with NLAW rocket launchers and Javelin Guided rocket launchers. In a flurry of missiles, the treeline came to life as the wave of armoured vehicles exploded. Then the thumping of grenade launchers opened fire across the battlefield as the remaining infantry were blown to smithereens.

Mclaw fell backwards as the soldiers in the trench line cheered. Then a voice came over the radio, “All artillery batteries open fire. Enemy counter munitions are down.”

The tearing of shells broke through the air as it started to shell the forest and several enemy positions. Then slowly it began to subside as a single Jackal Armoured Wheeled Vehicle appeared. Then more emerged. They rolled through the field as they came to a stop in front.

Mclaw was the first to meet them. A lieutenant jumped out. He had a C8 Carbine tied to his chest as he walked forward. The gunners on the Jackal were still watching the treeline.

Mclaw grinned, “Thanks.”

The lieutenant nodded, as he spoke with a familiar English voice, “Pleasure to see you again, Captain. What has it been for nearly a decade?”

Mclaw said, “You too.” He paused, “Lieutenant Thompson.” The SAS Major, standing next to Mclaw, had his jaw wide as he looked at the familiar figure.

James Thompson stood there, his SFP9 sitting in its holster as he smiled. The GOU had saved him back in Japan. He’d lived with them through his time on the Falklands before leaving for military training. James slowly started to remove his helmet as he kept it under his arm.

He turned back as he looked at the vehicles. “We need a way in. We’re too open out here.”

Mclaw jumped into the trench. He spoke to a Chinese soldier who indicated for the vehicles to follow. Mclaw nodded at James. “Follow me. We have a lot to discuss.” He looked at the SAS officer. “You too, Major.”

~~~

Authors Note:

We are so back! As I mentioned in my last authors note, releases will be once every two weeks due to important things going on in my life this year!

I'll see you in the next chapter

- J

0