Chapter 29: Self Defence Force
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Somewhere above Sendai, Japan

Unit: GOU, Coalition forces

Date: 8th April 2022 CE

The sun was nowhere to be seen, but hundreds of bright lights lit the city below. Helicopter blades swung around propelling their steel chariots forward. Out of the side sat of each of the small death machines, sat several operators, all fully locked and loaded. Soldiers were sitting on the side, with clips causing them to be locked in place and balance the helicopter perfectly.

Mclaw spoke into his small radio, "How long till we jump?"

The co-pilot turned around, "30 seconds!"

Mclaw sat there making sure he was hooked onto the rope, he nodded looking at the other operatives who did the same. Quickly switching on the safety, he moved the rifle around his shoulder.

The pilot shouted over the intercom, "Drop ropes!"

Suddenly, the group of helicopters dropped several ropes off the side and soldiers unclipped from the helicopter.

The pilot spoke over the radio, "Green light! Go go go!"

All members jumped, repelling to the ground they landed in a perfect pattern.

Mclaw turned around and saw a man in a Japanese military uniform standing there. The man saluted him, "Sir!"

Mclaw saluted back, "What's the situation?"

The Japanese soldier looked at him, "Tokyo is burning, the city of Hamamatsu has fallen and Nagoya is on the verge of falling. Enemy units are known to have landed in southern parts of the prefecture of Niigata and we believe them to be heading to Niigata city.

Mclaw nodded, "And what's of the Americans?"

The Japanese nodded, "A few ships disabled, the marines are ferocious, I hear."

Mclaw nodded, "Good to hear they are alive then," he looked as fighter jets flew overhead, "Let's get this done, where is the rendezvous?"

The Japanese soldier gulped, "It's Niigata."

Mclaw's eyes widened, "Why the hell is it Niigata?"

The Japanese soldier opened his mouth to speak when another voice came from behind, "Because our communications have been jammed," Mclaw noticed the voice was distinctly British. Kyton stepped out of the shadows, "Two hours ago, I ordered Delta Priority to be brought to Sendai, then an hour later we heard another voice order them to change location to Niigata, when we tried to get in contact we had the pleasure of directly speaking to the Propagandist."

Mclaw raised an eyebrow, "Did he reveal anything?"

"They know about Delta Priority," Kyton looked at Mclaw.

They both stood there, Mclaw nodded, "Then we need to intercept, and have the orbital bombardiers ready to support."

Kyton nodded, "Your vehicles are at the base exit, get going GOU."

Mclaw nodded, whistling to his team. They stood up in sync, all running they put their rifles in the high port position, except Zeller who carried her Hecate II over her shoulder. Each climbing into a Husky Tactical Service Vehicle, the three vehicles sped off.

Mounts spoke over the radio, "So who's Delta Priority."

Mclaw looked out the window pressing a small button on his rifle, "They are a very important asset we had to move to Japan to protect from the NZA at the start of the war."

Zeller interrupted, "You speak like they are a tool, they are human, right?"

Mclaw nodded, "This information is incredibly sensitive and it could become a major victory for the NZA if they find him."

Mounts exchanged a glance with Zeller who was sitting in the back of his vehicle, "Understood, Sir, out," he released a button on his communication device, turning to Zeller, "Mclaw's acting odd."

Zeller nodded, "This is serious, we have to be at the top of our game over the next few days."

Exiting the city they saw rows upon rows of cars heading through the city further up north, refugees...

York swore, seeing the number of cars packed with bags moving at a snail's pace, "Fucking hell."

Mclaw nodded, "You get used to it."

The convoy of vehicles kept on moving forward, weaving through roads and passing the occasional broken-down vehicle, their first two hours of the journey were uneventful.

Then they saw it.

With two blown-up vehicles with charred bodies laying out the open doors, the convoy was brought to a stop as it approached.

Mclaw stepped out the passenger side of the first vehicle, M16 raised he approached, tilting his head he looked into the jacket of them before looking at the legs and working his way to the feet, "Body looks clear, approaching now."

Turner approached behind him, watching the hillsides, "I'm guessing they are the Japanese Army?"

Mclaw nodded, "Japanese Ground Self Defence Force alright," he reached into one of their jackets pulling a pin badge, "looks to be Special Forces as well."

Turner kept his eyes on the hills, "What were these guys doing out here?"

Mclaw nodded, "Escorting Delta Priority."

Turner looked at him, "So, does that mean he's dead?"

Mclaw shook his head, "No, there were more than two vehicles in the escort."

Turner raised his rifle seeing movement in a bush, "Movement..."

Mclaw turned around raising his M16, "We need to go," speaking into his radio, "9 O'clock from the convoy, 75 degrees up, a possible target, we need to leave."

Slowly backing away they jumped back into the vehicles before speeding off once again.

***

Richards swivelled the M2 browning around, on the first vehicle, his rifle propped up next to him. He felt the warm humid winds blowing on his face, it made the insides of his helmet damp, one thing he hated about the damn lid. Unclipping the strap he looked around without spinning the gun.

Coming around a corner he saw a huge dark tunnel, "Is this on the route?"

The driver nodded looking back from the road, "Yep, you scared," the man said in a noticeable Indian accent.

Richards looked at him, "This is nothing compared to Mabasa's wound, that thing was horrific," he chuckled.

The driver chuckled watching the road.

They headed through the tunnel, it was empty of cars and life... for most of it. Right as they reached the light at the end of the tunnel, the front vehicle ground to a halt. Followed by the rest.

The front gunner trained their aim on the blockade of cars ahead. Richards's vehicle pulled up alongside it. Several armed civilians stood there all armed with firearms. It was a standoff.

Richards felt the air become heavy as he ducked below the armoured shields f the vehicle.

One of the people behind the barricade called out, "Identification!"

Mclaw stepped out of his vehicle, "Global Operations Unit, Coalition armed forces, step aside or suffer the consequences."

There was a long pause and some murmuring in Japanese. Mclaw stood there, no more than 30 metres from the blockade. He looked at their hands; they carried simplistic weapons, a few bolt action rifles, small pistols and one assault rifle, before one spoke, "Why are you following the JASDF?"

Mclaw looked around, "They are walking straight into a major NZA force, we need to warn them."

The men behind the barricade looked at each other, "How can you prove this?"

Mclaw nodded, "There is no way without contacting command, so... I'm going to give you an ultimatum. Move or suffer the consequences of three M2 Brownings," He stood there as he watched the enemy freeze up. Taking a step back into the Huskey, he tapped his gunner on the leg. The gunner chambered a round. Hearing a round slam into the chamber, the Armed Japanese began to move one of their vehicles.

Mclaw spoke over the radio, "Let's get moving!"

The convoy breezed past the blockade entering the view of the city.

York turned to Mclaw, "Sir, who were those guys? I thought those types of weapons were banned in Japan."

Mclaw nodded, "Yakuza, they occasionally get their hands on weapons like that. Most of it is very basic though."

Suddenly, a loud boom came from the city, followed by several gunshots. Gibson looked at Mclaw from his turret, "What the..."

Mclaw looked around, "It's coming from the city! Shit, they've been contacted." Switching on the intercom he spoke, "All vehicles, head for the gunfire!"

Speeding through the streets, they narrowly avoided blown-up cars, Mclaw leaned out the window, sitting on the frame. Turning around the corner a bullet whizzed past his face, and he yelled, "OPEN FIRE!"

The front machine gunner opened fire on the enemy position ahead. Mclaw backed him up, switching his rifle to burst. He shredded through several NZA marines. The defenders fell silent as the Husky's bashed through the defences.

Bouncing over a set of barbed wire, Mclaw felt a jolt as the vehicle nearly threw him out the window frame.

Then, he heard a roar and noticed an intense aura filling the battlefield, crossing the corner he saw a group of Japanese army vehicles, with bodies and blood strewn across them. But in the middle of the street stood a man holding a katana in one hand. The man was filled with holes going straight through his abdomen and upper chest, with chunks taken off his helmet.

Driving straight past him, he saw the body collapse to its knees, smiling.

Mclaw looked ahead as he noticed about sixty defenders all pointing rifles and machine guns towards him. Pulling himself back into the vehicle, he felt bullet after bullet slammed into the front of the vehicle as they charged the enemy position.

The three GOU vehicles sped towards the enemy, driving in a line, covering one side of the street to the other. Then they hit the defences, going straight over the sandbag barrier. He heard yells and cries as nasty cracks came from below the vehicle, "Everyone out!"

Mclaw kicked open the door, stunning one of the defenders before slicing through his neck. Drawing his pistol, he opened fire on two more, dropping them. Another enemy ran out of cover, bayonet fixed, Mclaw quickly cut straight through his rifle before gutting him like a fish.

"Retreat!" A deep Mauri accent called out as the NZA attempted to flee.

Mclaw raised his pistol opening fire on those attempting to escape, the rest of the GOU stood shoulder to shoulder with him dropping several of the retreaters.

Mclaw dropped his pistol to his side before holstering it, "Hold fire," he paused, turning around, "Mounts, take Gibson and Richards and go check on the guy with the Katana."

Pulling his rifle from the vehicle, he slung it over his shoulder and started tapping his wrist pad, in his headphones it started to beep. Taking a few steps towards the sidestreet, the beeps became more frequent.

He indicated for Turner and a few others to follow him, walking down a street, Mclaw had taken point. He approached the corner; the beeping got louder. Then it completely cut out.

Mclaw drew his pistol and turned the corner, before he could speak he heard a young English man's voice, "Hands up." Mclaw froze for a second, noticing the pistol in the young man's hand.

Mclaw smiled, seeing the kid's face, "Been a bit, James?"

The kid lowered the sidearm, "Reaper?"

~~~~~

Authors Message:

I won't make a habit of asking things of the reader, so let me get this over with. If you have got this far in the story, could you leave a review/rating so I can try to improve my writing and get some feedback on the story's progression. 

Thanks,

J.

1