Chapter 48: Chewing out
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Rorke's Drift, South Africa

Unit: Global Operations Unit

Date: 21st April 2025

Safari, also known as Tian Mabasa, sat in a dimly lit room, the only source of illumination being a dim bulb overhead. In front of him stood a sturdy steel table, radiating warmth as he rested his hands upon it. Across from him, Mclaw, growing impatient, tapped the table repeatedly and declared, "I should have you court-martialed."

Mabasa nodded respectfully and replied, "Sir, I saw it as a necessary course of action."

The tapping ceased momentarily as Mclaw retorted, "I gave you a direct order, and I even granted you leave to visit your parents amidst an ongoing operation."

Mabasa countered, "I appreciate your consideration, sir. However, without sinking the enemy fleet and neutralising the artillery units, this camp would have fallen, and we would have been on the run again."

Mclaw sighed, rubbing his forehead with his right arm. With a click of a button in his left hand, the camera positioned between them flashed red twice before shutting off.

Glancing around cautiously, Mclaw changed his tone and said, "Well done. You managed to talk your way out of that situation quite effectively. However, you didn't request the strike on the artillery. That was the Scot, wasn't it?" Placing the control device on the table, his mood shifted to a more relaxed one.

Mabasa stood up and replied, "Yes, sir. He made the radio call while I provided suppressed sniper support from the rooftops. Neither he nor the NZA had any knowledge of my involvement."

Nodding approvingly, Mclaw said, "Good work. Join the others, and I'll wrap up a few things quickly." He tossed Mabasa his rifle, effortlessly chambering a round as he did so. Mabasa observed the brass casing reflecting the artificial light of the dim bulb above.

Turning away, Mabasa exited the room, the door closing behind him. He made his way down the muddy trenches until he reached a more open section closer to the front lines.

A voice called out, "Look who finally decided to show up." Zeller grinned. "Has Old Johnny forgiven you yet, or are we in for another hundred-kilometre run?"

Mabasa raised an eyebrow and said, "You know, if he heard you call him that, we'd probably end up doing a 200-kilometre run."

A voice emerged from behind the group, "Called who what?" Mclaw stood there, his gaze scanning from left to right.

Mabasa smiled back at Zeller and remarked, "Oh, just Zeller making inappropriate comments about certain things that should never be discussed, again."

Zeller's eyes darted towards him. "Again? When have I ever made an 'inappropriate' comment before?"

Mabasa raised an eyebrow and replied, "France?"

Zeller rolled her eyes. "The punching bag of Europe. So what?"

Mabasa glanced around and remarked, "See? Inappropriate comment."

Zeller sighed. "Oh, it's just European banter, right?" She looked at Gillie. "You understand, don't you?"

Gillie looked up from cleaning his rifle and shook his head. "Hmm? Of course, but boasting is more of the UK's thing." He grinned. "Surprising that a Swiss can enjoy it after a century of ignoring the world's problems."

Mclaw sat down, observing the conversation unfolding. The two squared up to each other, exchanging comebacks one after another.

Zeller grabbed Gillie's shirt, pulling him towards her knee. She released him as she made contact. As he caught his breath, he swung at her. Zeller, who was much faster, easily dodged his punch and landed a hit on his chin. This time, he didn't flinch. As she attempted to strike again, he caught her fist.

The GOU laughed as he flipped Zeller over his shoulder, stepping back. "Is that all you've got, Red Cross?"

Zeller got back on her feet, assuming a fighting stance and cracking her neck. "You wish, Nessy."

Mabasa leaned forward as Mounts walked in with a clipboard. "Oi!" Mounts yelled into the headset, causing the two sparring individuals to spin around, gripping their ears.

Mounts raised an eyebrow. "We have a job to do. Keel and Custos are waiting," he paused. "They found something in Windhoek."

Mclaw sat up. "Well, finally," he said, opening his wrist pad. "The information is up."

Everyone, except Gillie, pulled up their wrists, revealing a panel.

Mclaw glanced up and said, "It's under Operation Incarnate, File 3."

Turner tilted his head and remarked, "It's interesting that these guys are this far south in Africa. Wasn't their God associated with India or something?"

Mabasa raised an eyebrow and corrected him, "It's Israel, not India, and they mostly operated in Europe when their religion was active." He paused and added, "Didn't you read the mission brief?"

Mounts interjected, "They were majorly active. The pillaging of the Vatican in 1247 marked the end of their control in Europe."

Turner pulled up a file and commented, "Wow, I'm glad I left Churchism now."

Mclaw flipped through his files and whispered, "That should do it," before looking up. "Right, let's get this briefing underway."

He paused and looked at Gillie as the Scot pulled out a notepad. "As of now, Operation Incarnate is in its final phase. Thanks to Lee and Sophie's efforts, we have received a much more specific location for the NZA's next target. According to the information, they are in Windhoek, Namibia."

Gillie looked at the rest of the team, who were taking in the details attentively.

Mclaw continued, "Based on Keel's reports, they have started noticing increased covert NZA activity in the area. MI6 has also intercepted more radio chatter from that region, suggesting the NZA may have a lead." He looked around before proceeding, "Upon arrival, we will rendezvous with the rest of the team and initiate counterinsurgency missions in the area. Custos is working on securing us uncontrolled permission, and it should be finalised by morning."

Mabasa looked at Mclaw and asked, "John, what's the deal with the Scot? Shouldn't we have completed the mission first before bringing him on board?"

Mclaw shook his head and replied, "Well, since we were in the area to pick up someone," he glanced at Mabasa, "I thought it would be a good opportunity to recruit a new candidate and begin his field training."

Mabasa huffed and respectfully said, "Sir, this isn't a good idea. It's like throwing a drunk toddler who can't swim into the middle of a river with weights tied to their feet."

Mclaw raised an eyebrow and turned to Gillie. "You know this one as Safari. His real name is Tian Mabasa, and he usually serves as my second in command." Gillie nodded, and Mclaw continued, "Anyway, in response to your concern, let me ask you a question. How does an Andean Condor learn to fly?"

Mabasa shrugged, and Mclaw explained, "It has to take a leap of faith and hope its wings don't fail. Humanity doesn't have time to wait. We must strike now, or else who will?"

Mabasa clenched his teeth, unable to come up with a response, and said, "Understood, sir."

Zeller looked up and asked, "What are the chances of it being a trap?"

Mclaw shook his head and replied, "Unlikely. JTF2 has been leading counterinsurgency operations for ages now, so it's likely to be another one of those. Satellites won't pass over that area for another week, even with course correctors, so we'll be essentially blind, except for footage from a few disguised civilian helicopters."

Gillie looked up from his notepad and inquired, "What time do we depart, sir?"

Mclaw nodded and said, "The helicopters are fuelled and ready to go. If you need any ammo..." he gestured towards Gillie's L85 rifle on his lap, "or a weapon change, the supply chopper is that way." He pointed deeper into camp with a single helicopter sitting in the middle of several buildings.

Gillie raised an eyebrow and responded, "Nah, I'm fine."

Mclaw chuckled and walked away, saying, "Better get going then bullpup."

0