Chapter 14
2.7k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"In parallel?" Aerindel asked.

"Even before the Light Tree exists, the elven race already have the light attribute in their genes. We can safely say here that the Light Tree isn't the cause of the elves losing their attribute."

The three people nodded.

"The Light Tree is watered by the Cardinal Rivers that flowed across the territory, bordering the four elven tribes. Most likely, there is something wrong with the water that negatively affected the tree. I personally agree with Your Majesty that the elven king's sickness is caused by the slow deterioration of the tree."

"The water did not seem strange or anything, so we did not think to check it…"

"Just because a water is clear, it does not mean it is not poisonous."

"Are you saying that someone from our own people poisoned our water?" Aerindel couldn't accept the accusation.

"I am not accusing anyone of anything. Nature can produce poison by itself. It is also possible that the substance is not a poison but it still has a negative effect on anything or anyone with light attributes. Like us humans with our own allergies." Rye explained.

"What Rye said makes sense," the king chimed in to help, "If there really is a substance in your river that a light attribute bearer is averse to, it can also be the cause of your diminishing light attribute since it is the main water source for your daily lives."

"Light attribute is only owned by the elves. We are unfamiliar with the field, so we cannot really say for certain," Rye made sure to add, "Did you call me here to discuss this? I do not think I can give any solutions since the elven records are rarely shared with other races. I do not have enough knowledge."

"This discussion is already a big help. But this is not the only reason we called you."

"The elven king requested for you to go to their kingdom to help solve this matter."

Rye was surprised, "The elven king?"

Aerindel and Freanor nodded.

"May I ask why?"

"We are also clueless." Freanor shook her head.

"Are you sure it is not Ludric Cazmere, the hero?"

"No."

"…"

"To be precise, he asked for the one who bears the sun." The king elaborated.

"…Huh?" Rye was even more confused.

The king pointed at his wrist, "You have one don't you?"

Rye, "…"

That damn stalker.

"Your Majesty, you did not order your spy to watch me all the time, did you?" Rye sighed.

The king laughed, "He couldn't seem to watch you bathe though. He was pretty frustrated by it.

Rye's eyebrow twitched, "Frustrated about what exactly?"

"So? Will you do it?"

"Even if I do not want to, I will still have to do it if you order me to."

"No, I won't decide this one for you." The king stated.

Rye looked at him skeptically.

"Ever since the start of the demon invasion, the elven kingdom isolated themselves from the world, not wanting to get involved. They wouldn't respond to any of our requests for help even though their light attribute was the second most potent attribute to fight demons. We have no reason to help them now." The king bluntly said.

Aerindel and Freanor cast down their gaze in guilt.

"So why did you tell them about me?"

"To have the elven kingdom be indebted to us isn't a bad deal, but they only requested for your help, not from our kingdom entirely. I won't force you to accept it."

"If you help us, we promise to assist this kingdom in this war against the demons." Aerindel hurriedly said.

"…" Rye considered it, "If I accept, will I go there by myself?"

"Of course not. You're the hero party's supervisor. They will come with you."

"Are those spies reporting to you in real-time?" Rye almost glared at the king. That was what he called himself earlier in his conversation with the prince.

"He has a convenient heritage you see." The king didn't deny it.

"If the heroes come with me, what are they going to do? Just wait until we finish?"

"The heroes' main mission now is to defeat the demon lord. The demon territory is in one direction from our country to the elven kingdom. Just take it as taking a break at the elven kingdom before entering the demon territory. Aerindel and Freanor will help you along your journey there."

"Can they know about this matter?"

"No, at least try your best not to spill anything before you are completely cornered."

They all waited as Rye thought things in silence.

"If I recall, the elven kingdom has a spirit stone that can be used to summon spirits?"

Aerindel paused for a while, but eventually nodded, "We can give you one."

"I also want 2 treasures of my choice. Of course, you only give these to me if I successfully cure your king, tree, and people. 3 rewards for 3 favors. Your debt to His Majesty for introducing me is a different matter. After all, if he really did not want to help you, you would never find me," Rye raised 3 fingers and 1 finger on his other hand, "If you are prepared to pay this heavy, I will accept this request."

Aerindel and Freanor discussed for a while and finally agreed. The king ordered his butler to write the formal contract. Rye, the king, and Aerindel signed them.

After arranging their schedule of departure and everything else, the two siblings left.

"I didn't expect you to be that greedy, Rye."

"Compared to the life of all the elven race, this much is nothing."

"If you want treasures, I can give some to you too from our own treasury."

"I don't think I can handle the catch that comes with it."

"You really have a bad impression of me, don't you?" The king laughed, "What are you planning to do with that spirit stone and treasures?"

Rye got up and walked out the door, "Ask my stalker."

The king shook his head with a chuckle, "He really can hold a grudge."

–––––

–––

After making sure they were completely prepared, Rye, the elven siblings, and the heroes set out to the demon territory 7 days later. Of course, Rye and the elven siblings didn't tell the heroes their true destination.

The knights were already sent to help an ally kingdom with their demon invasion along with their army. That day, Rye sent August and the others off.

The seven of them were given 4 Raptor beasts to be their ride by the king. It was the fastest beast with a size that could be ridden by adults. They were hard to find and catch. Not to mention, their numbers were almost a fourth the average of other species.

The king must've did some effort to catch four of them and tame them.

He definitely didn't think the members would increase since he already prepared enough for the hero party. Their only choice was to ride in pairs except for one person. That one person was unanimously decided to be Ludric.

The next part was to decide the pairs. Rye could see where this was going.

As expected, Aerindel wanted to be with his sister. Lilith paired with Rosetta since they were both girls. The only one left was Desmund who hated him the most.

And unsurprisingly, Desmund refused to ride with him.

"It's alright, my brother can ride with me." Ludric mediated.

"No need to sacrifice yourself for your arrogant brother, Ludric. He'll just weigh you down." Desmund rejected.

For the first time, Rye thanked Desmund in his heart.

"Then, you don't need to be fussy about it. Sacrifice yourself." Lilith said impatiently.

Aerindel didn't think that Rye's relationship with the hero party was bad. Was that why at that time Rye asked whether the hero party would come or not?

He talked with his sister and came to an agreement.

"How about this?" Aerindel stepped forward, "Rye can ride with me. My sister can be with either Ms. Rosetta or Ms. Lilith. The one who doesn't ride with my sister can ride with Mr. Desmund."

Freanor nodded, "I don't mind riding with Ms. Lilith or Ms. Rosetta."

"You can ride with me, Lady Freanor," Rosetta offered, "Lilith, you're alright with Desmund, right?"

"Wha–" Lilith wanted to protest, but stopped when she saw Rosetta's look, "Alright…"

She glared at Rye hatefully as she went to Desmund's Raptor.

Aerindel grabbed Rye's shoulder, "Let's go."

"I apologize about this."

"There's nothing to apologize," Aerindel smiled reassuringly, "Do you want to be in the front or back?"

"Back, if you do not mind. My glasses will be blown away at the front."

Aerindel hopped on first and helped Rye up to the seat, "You should hold on to me."

"Then, excuse me, Your Highness." Rye grabbed the edge of Aerindel's clothes.

"Call me Rin." Aerindel corrected Rye's hands to circle his waist.

At the side, a pair of dark eyes watched them begrudgingly.

54