Chapter 27
2.3k 1 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed unknowingly and the sky cleared at some point in time. While Rye was having his secret rendezvous with Octavian, the meeting between the heroes, Torihigen's king, military generals, and head bishop finished. They smoothly finalized the strategy thanks to Torihigen generals' clear understanding of the current situation.

However competent they were, without enough manpower, their choice of movement became limited. Now that the heroes were here, they laid out their plans one by one.

According to Ludric's calculation, they could end this battle within a month. They would make a move tomorrow before the demon army's arrival.

At noon, Rye returned to the group for lunch.

"Where were you, Rye?" Aerindel asked.

Rye paused for a split second before he sat down, "I didn't get much sleep last night, so I went to my room. Thankfully, they prepared one."

They all accepted his answer and they proceeded to eat.

Just as Octavian said, he erased everyone's memories about earlier. It was an effort in his mentality, but Octavian successfully coaxed him to tell the god about his worry.

Octavian seemed to know something and agreed to keep their relationship a secret. This relationship that only the two of them knew about, he felt a strange satisfaction from the exclusiveness and ecstasy from the thrill.

He told Ludric that he was satisfied with his dull life, but maybe that wasn't entirely correct.

He was ashamed to say so, but from Octavian's smile before they separated, he must've known. He was also sure that Octavian could read his mind even now. For Octavian to coax him to tell him, did he want to hear it directly from his mouth?

Regardless, he would make sure nobody knows about him and Octavian. The first step to do that, he should restrain himself from calling Octavian, accidental or not, outside. Finding chapels wouldn't be that hard.

"What are you thinking about so deeply?" Ludric asked.

"Nothing," Rye moved his hand to eat and realized Ash wasn't with them, "Where's Ash?"

"He went to scout the demons. We're moving to attack in advance tomorrow, so we need a concrete and updated situation of the demons."

Rye nodded in understanding.

Aerindel stared at Rye doubtfully.

Why does he feel like Rye's power has increased than in the morning?

"The rain earlier was pretty abrupt. If there is another rainstorm tomorrow, it will be a bit troublesome." Aerindel said.

"The generals also said that it was off-season. It's highly not likely to rain again." Rosetta said.

Rye, "…"

I'm sorry I cried out of nowhere.

Once he finished eating, he put down his cutleries. Thinking about his conversation with Octavian earlier, he promptly clasped his hand to thank Octavian for the food.

He promised to himself and to Octavian in his heart that he would be more pious from now on. Although Octavian's words made him happy, as expected, his faith toward his…lover couldn't be inferior to anyone else.

He blushed in embarrassment from his own thought.

He didn't expect he would suddenly got a divine lover without any prior experience in love or romantic relationship. He didn't have any rejection to be called a bride. Just from their interactions today, he could feel how pampered he was by Octavian.

He was determined to be more pious and devoted than the supreme pope himself.

"Rye?" Ludric was surprised by Rye's praying gesture.

Rye put down his hands and solemnly said, "I will practice the way of the priest."

Everyone was surprised by the sudden declaration.

"Why? It's quite sudden," Ludric asked in worry, "Is it because Aerindel's words this morning? Or are you worried because we don't have any permanent priests on our team?"

"I didn't say that to force you to become a priest." Aerindel hurriedly said.

"No, it's my own volition," Rye shook his head, "Besides, Rin was right. I do, miraculously, have a holy attribute in me now."

"But…" Ludric hesitated.

Solistus was the one who didn't give you any heritage. Shouldn't you resent, or at least, dislike him?

"Don't worry, I'm doing this for myself," Rye stood up, "I'll go and help Ash. Can you tell me where he went?"

Ludric told him where Ash said he was going and he left. He could cast an invisibility spell on both of them and scout more thoroughly.

"There's nothing wrong with becoming a priest. Many people do that willingly. What are you worried about?" Rosetta asked Ludric.

"Once a person entered priesthood, they wouldn't be able to go back to living a normal life. Sure, their holy attribute will keep amplifying the more devoted they are, but if their faith got shaken just a little their holy attribute will riot and assault its bearer instead." Ludric rested his forehead on his palm worriedly.

The rest was stunned.

"That's the first time I heard something like that." Rosetta said.

"Because cases of priests or any member of the temple losing faith can only be counted with one hand. I've heard about this from my mentor who was a high bishop at the main temple," Ludric explained, "That's why I don't practice priesthood even though I have a holy attribute. I can't take the risk. The same goes as to why many priests didn't chase for higher ranks."

"I don't think you need to worry about that," Aerindel undoubtedly said, "Rye is someone who seeks chapels anywhere he goes after all."

"And don't you think his robe already looks befitting of a priest?" Freanor added to lighten the mood, "I already thought he was a priest when I first saw him. He also likes sunflowers."

"Where did he get such a powerful robe even?" Desmund wondered, "Temple robes are just normal robes compared to that."

"He said it was from a friend at the academy, didn't he?" Lilith remembered, "That academy really has good eyes for picking their staff."

"I'm more curious as to what and how many attributes he has," seeing Ludric's declining expression the more they talked, Rosetta changed the topic, "He can wield water, fire, and create barriers. His icicle spell that he demonstrated to us also contained a wind element. Now he has a holy attribute. Moreover, many of his spells can't be categorized into a specific type."

"Now that you mentioned it…" Aerindel only then realized it.

He took for granted anything Rye did since he always have an explanation for it.

"Since his birth, our parents never bothered to check the attributes he has. He was already labeled as useless. He himself probably doesn't know and doesn't really care." Ludric lowly answered, his face slightly darkened.

Rosetta, "…"

She needed to start learning Ludric's new mood swings.

Outside, Rye reached where Ash was spying above a hill. He cast a visual and presence barrier around them to make them invisible before revealing himself.

"Invisibility?" Ash was immediately piqued, "Please do explain it to me later."

"I'll gladly discuss it after dinner," Rye peered down, "Is this the demon camp?"

Below the hill was an army camp of five thousand demons, black and purple flags swayed on top of their tents.

At the very center was the largest tent where the highest commander was resting. It was also the place where the soldiers came to report.

5 large tents surrounded it followed by several medium-sized tents encircling it. The common soldiers rested at the outermost circle in an organized manner.

"I thought the generals said they are heading towards Hala. Aren't they completely resting?" Rye asked.

"They have just set up camp half an hour before you arrived. Demons are the weakest at peak noon."

"Setting up a camp this big in only half an hour?"

"They put their camp as it is inside a space and summon it out when they need to rest."

"Who is the leader?"

"An archdemon," Ash stated solemnly, "Does your dear big brother ever have a battle with an archdemon?"

Rye was stunned, "No, I don't think he has…Archdemons never left the demon lord's side since they are equal to his ministers."

Ash nodded, "Archdemons each have 2 demon generals under them to do their bidding on the field. It is strange that an archdemon goes out directly. Torihigen does not seem to be anything of importance that require one to do such."

"The number of soldiers they brought also doesn't indicate they overestimate Hala. Would an Archdemon be willing to lead an insignificant operation like this?"

"The generals did not seem to know about the presence of an archdemon."

"Did they come here after knowing that the Supreme Hero is here?"

"We have only arrived at Hala yesterday evening. If the demons caught of this immediately, that can only mean…"

Rye frowned, "There's a spy in Hala."

Hearing some footsteps behind them, they tacitly moved to hide behind a tree and shut their mouth. Rye silently added a layer of a sound barrier.

Not long after, 2 demons appeared and walked to their previous spot.

52