Chapter 45
1.6k 3 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I apologize, I wasn't aware at all…" Rye lowered his head and fixed his glasses.

He didn't know Octavian rejected his contact with other people that much. He should've been more aware. He promised after all.

But, to feel happy about this…is it alright?

The bubbles in his heart kept bursting with embarrassing joy.

Octavian's alluring voice called him in his mind. Rye promptly got up, surprising everyone at the table.

"Excuse me, I'll be retreating to my room first."

He rushed out.

He was heading to his room when he saw a luminous sunflower blooming on the ground. It shone brightly amidst the night that it was impossible to overlook it.

He jumped down and approached the flower. The sunflower plucked itself from the ground and rested in Rye's hands. Soon after, another sunflower emerged 10 meters away from him.

He eagerly followed Octavian's lead.

Since their journey had been very time-consuming, he hadn't seen Octavian for more than half a month. This was also the first time Octavian called for him.

After several sunflowers bloomed, he finally found the sunflower path towards the chapel.

Octavian was already waiting outside. He smiled when their eyes met.

Rye jogged to him with a bright smile, "Octavian."

Octavian welcomed Rye into his arms, "The flowers in your arms paled compared to your smile. What is it that brings you so much joy, my dearest sun?"

"Because you called me…" Rye muttered sheepishly.

Octavian chuckled and stroked Rye's hair, "You are truly lovable."

He loved how the mature and independent Rye in front of others turned spoiled and sticky towards him.

"For the others to not be able to touch me…" Rye said in anticipation, "was it you?"

"I have told you, did I not? I do not tolerate anyone other than me touching you nor having impure thoughts towards you," Octavian caressed Rye's cheek, "do you not like it?"

Rye leaned to Octavian's touch. He looked at Octavian wrongfully, "Please spare me from your teasing…"

"I wish to hear it," Octavian brushed aside Rye's bangs, "tell me."

Rye reddened in embarrassment, "I am incredibly happy with it."

Octavian kissed Rye endearingly and offered his hand, "Come. I will take you to Muriel's Light Tree."

Rye took Octavian's hand and followed next to him. Instead of walking in the direction where the Light Tree was, he opened the chapel door.

To Rye's surprise, beyond the chapel door wasn't the familiar interior he has been seeing every morning. It was directly where the Light Tree was.

Once they stepped in, the door behind them disappeared. They were now at the shore of the lake where the Light Tree grew at the eye of it. The size was intimidatingly massive that they could see its roots clearly from afar.

It was said that the Light Tree glowed as bright as the day all year long, but except for its size, it looked nothing different from a regular tree. Its leaves were withering down and rained upon the lake. The lake itself that was supposed to stream clear water to the rivers connected to it was now stagnant.

"Is it true that Muriel…"

Octavian nodded.

Rye lowered his head. His hand clutching the flowers tightened.

Octavian soothingly squeezed Rye's hand, "I vow to always be with you."

Rye glanced at the Light Tree and looked up at Octavian in determination, "What do I need to do?"

–––

Rye returned to the others in the morning. He stayed the night at the chapel with Octavian. The seats inside were cleared by Octavian to place a spacious bed in return.

Octavian didn't need any sleep, but he still accompanied him until morning. As a result, he did his morning prayer with Octavian directly watching him.

He couldn't say anything. No words came out of his mouth from his blank state of mind. Just by looking at Octavian's face, all his thoughts were blown away.

Unfortunately for him, Octavian liked seeing him being flustered and embarrassed from head to toe. His heart really couldn't take such stimulation early in the morning…

What serpent? Is he really not just a pitiful chick!?

"Rye, where did you go last night?" Aerindel spotted him and approached him with Ash, "we couldn't find you anywhere."

"Well, at this point of time, is it not a regular occurrence?" Ash commented.

Aerindel noticed the rim of Rye's eyes were faintly red and was stunned, "Were you…crying?"

"?"

"Your eyes are red."

"Oh, I was rubbing it from dust. Don't mind it," Rye quickly said, "why are you guys looking for me? Is there something wrong?"

"We were having a discussion about how we should train to level up. One thing leads to another and Ludric suggested that we should try fighting you."

"Huh…? I don't think that's possible. I'm weaker than any of you. It won't be an effective training."

Aerindel and Ash, "…"

Said the person who beat up an archdemon.

"How about this? Each of us shall have a one-on-one duel with you. Anyone who emerges victorious may find another way to train," Ash suggested.

Rye considered for a while, "…If that's what all of you wants. But my mana isn't as abundant as you guys."

"It is not a problem. We can resume tomorrow if your mana is all used up later."

"Then, should we put Ludric and Rosetta as the last?" Aerindel asked.

"Yes, please…"

The three of them went to a spacious grass field where the rest were waiting. All of them were participating except for Freanor and Nandia.

Rye took his position, "I don't know how high your expectation is, but I'll do my best to answer it."

The first one to challenge was Rock. The rule was simple. Whoever became incapacitated first lost. Anything was allowed as long as it didn't inflict permanent injury to the opponent.

"Start!" Nandia prompted.

Rock hadn't even moved yet when a blast of lightning struck from the magic circle above him. He was instantly knocked out.

Everyone, "…"

Rye hesitantly looked at them, "Was that…too much?"

He regarded this as a real battle, not a practice. His mind instinctively chose the most effective spell to use. Rock was a power-type fighter and his speed was lacking. He would definitely lose to lightning.

"No, keep going." Ludric nodded in approval.

The next one was Marissa. She swiftly flew away after Nandia's prompt before Rye could launch a spell toward her. She mobilized her boomerangs to attack Rye but they got blocked by a barrier.

She saw a barrier appear right in front of her and swerved her board to avoid colliding with it. But when he looked around her, she has been completely trapped. Seeing a type of smoke filling the sphere she was in, she quickly wore her gas mask.

What she didn't know, it was meant to blow up not to drug her.

She pitifully fell down with charred hair.

Ash stepped forward next. Just as Nandia started the duel, Rye blinded Ash with a bright light. Ash anticipated it and closed his eyes as he flew away. When he aimed his guns at where Rye was standing he found that Rye was gone.

He unhesitantly aimed up and pulled his trigger. Rye who was observing the situation wasn't surprised that he was exposed and moved away without dispelling his invisibility.

Ash could faintly detect his movement and chased after him. What he didn't expect was Rye suddenly appearing point-blank in front of him and delivering a blow to his temple with his elbow.

Ash dropped slightly from his spot, but he didn't get knocked out. He barely blocked the hit though now he couldn't raise his left arm.

Before he could change his weapon, Rye took the chance to cast a spell under Ash. Chains emerged from the circle and prevented Ash's escape. Another circle appeared behind him and chained his arms to his back.

The chains generated lightning and electrocuted him.

Surprisingly, it didn't incapacitate him.

Ash shot the chains off him and summoned out his grenade launcher. Rye immediately rained down fire spells from Ash's front, back, sides, above, and below. Before they hit him, Ash managed to pull his trigger.

Rye understood that Ash's bullets always locked onto their target, so he cast a barrier in front of him and flew up a second before it hits.

With that, Rye won the third duel.

He took a rest while Rock, Marissa, and Ash were healed by Nandia.

"Your last spell was ineffective," Ash commented, "slightly overboard to be accurate."

"You could read my movement while I couldn't. The longer we fought the more I would be at a disadvantage," Rye fixed his glasses, "to be honest, I did overreact a bit after seeing you withheld my previous spell. I lack experience after all. Thinking about it carefully now, there are many other spells I could use."

43