Chapter 54
1.5k 5 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Father, Rye has requested to see you," Kiefer rested his hands on Rye's shoulders.

Lucifius and the other people stared at Kiefer with full alert. They have already unsheathed their sword when the door opened and were now protecting the injured king lying unconscious on the sofa at the back.

"What is the meaning of this, Your Highness?" Rye fixed his glasses.

"Rye, be careful. He's not the prince. He's a demon," Lucifius warned.

Just as he finished saying that, a streak of demonic energy flashed toward him. In a split second, Rye cast a barrier shielding Lucifius from the attack. The room fell silent as Rye's barrier faded away.

"Ah…you really are powerful. Different from your phony older brother," Kiefer caressed Rye's cheek.

Rye pulled away from Kiefer. He wiped his cheek from the freezing sensation and glared at Kiefer, "Please do not touch me as you wish."

The others immediately turned tense. Kiefer was easily irritable by nature even before this. Throwing him off with blatant disgust like that was only asking to be killed. But even if they wanted to help, Lucifius was aware that the strongest person in this room, second to Kiefer, was Rye himself.

Unexpectedly, Kiefer didn't seem to be offended by Rye's action. He smiled in amusement, "I have a proposal for you, Rye Cazmere."

"I believe it is not in anyone's best interest for me to agree with it except for you," Rye didn't intend to listen.

"Well, I wonder about that. Why don't we hear everyone else's opinion?" Kiefer grabbed Rye's chin and raised his face up, "be mine, Rye Cazmere. If you come back with me to my castle, I will pull my army out from this country and stop this troublesome invasion."

Everybody immediately became wide-eyed. It was a ridiculous deal, but it would solve everything in an instant. The safety of the country at the cost of one person? Only a fool would refuse it.

Lucifius knew it was unfair for Rye, but to be honest, he would be grateful if Rye accepted it. Too many lives had been lost in this sudden invasion with the Supreme Hero and his party away.

Rye slapped Kiefer's hand off his face. Regardless of the hopeful eyes staring at him, his answer was final, "I already belong to someone."

"Then, isn't it only in your best interest to reject me? I don't exactly hate selfish people though," Kiefer chuckled.

"Sir Cazmere, we beseech you to reconsider," A minister spoke up.

"Yes, please don't only think about your own convenience."

"If Sir Ludric is in your position, he would definitely accept this proposal to save everyone."

Rye turned a deaf ear towards them, "No need for this charade. If you are aiming for my strength, it is all granted by my lover. I am nothing without him."

"That's not true and we both know that," Kiefer tried to touch Rye's face again, "Right, Der'asa?"

Rye's eyes slightly widened. He avoided Kiefer's hand, "I do not understand what you are talking about. If you want my power, you better kill me first."

"I can do that easily, but the outcome would be different than if you come willingly. I'm being generous here only for you," Kiefer lowered his head and said in a low voice, "rather, do you think your god truly loves you? How adorable."

Rye felt his heart thumped uncomfortably from the question. His face tightened and he took a step back, "He loves me. I have passed beyond this doubt."

Kiefer took a step forward, "Do you really think a god is capable of having emotion? Do you really believe that all he wants is to love you? A human? Even if that is so, who he loves is Der'asa, not you. If you are not Der'asa's reincarnation, he will never pass his gaze to you who are not any special than other humans. Even Der'asa is not someone he loved. At most, he liked him as a pet."

Rye kept backing away from Kiefer, feeling an immense danger in an emotional sense. He couldn't let his heart waver, but he couldn't say anything back.

"Is it his golden eyes that melted you with their warmth? Or is it his smile that bewitched you with its charm? Back in the old days, he used those to lure in believers. You are just one of his victims."

"If he loves you, where is he now? Isn't he supposed to protect you from being taken away by me? Of course, he won't. All he cares about is the fate of the world. You are just an important cog for him. Without him enticing you, the world wouldn't move in the direction he wanted."

Rye covered his ears and closed his eyes as his back hit the wall, "No, you're lying…Stop talking…I won't believe you."

Octavian, where are you? Please let him hear your voice…

Kiefer's eyes glowed red and he held the back of Rye's head, "Remember his cold golden eyes when he looked at you, his reluctant touches when he caressed you, his emotionless words when he spoke his love to you. I'm sure you are smart enough to look beyond his facade."

Rye tried to block Kiefer's voice, but it was as if they vibrated straight into his soul. The memories of him and Octavian he cherished gradually turned cold and bleak. His loving gaze became cold, his words of affection became shallow enticement, his adoring chuckles turned into mocking laughter, and his passionate kisses were done with disgust in his eyes.

"He does not love you," Kiefer broke the last wall.

He patiently waited until Rye lowered his hands and opened his eyes. His vivid blue and gold eyes dimmed into blackness with a ring of red.

Kiefer's lips quirked up in triumph. He pulled Rye into his embrace, whispering alluringly as he burned down Rye's robe, "Don't worry, I will give you plenty of love, my poor little Rye."

–––

Inside a dark hall, the demon lord sitting on the throne instantly stood up seeing the demonic circle forming in front of him. Soon after, Kiefer and Rye appeared and the demonic circle faded away.

"Welcome back, My Lord," the demon lord bowed.

"Those puppets will be coming soon. Prepare an appropriate welcome."

"Certainly. I will not disappoint you."

Kiefer glanced in disinterest at him, "You already did. Don't mess it up."

The demon lord stiffened and sweated, "Yes, My Lord."

Kiefer held Rye's waist and led him away, "Come, let us go to our room."

Rye only responded with a faint nod.

Back in Yigiris, the people fighting back the demons and monsters were surprised when they suddenly stopped their attacks and retreated. They left as suddenly as they came. Despite the confusion, everyone couldn't help but rejoice. The 3 days battle has been really rough for them.

August and Orphel went to the palace soon after the battle ended. But once they entered the palace gate, they were stunned to see what they found inside or lack thereof.

"Where is everyone?" Orphel voiced out his doubt.

"Not sure. Let's bring the others in and search the palace."

Even with their soldiers, they couldn't find anyone in the palace. Not the king, the prince, or Lucifius. They finally decided to call in someone from the academy to help track them.

"Good evening, I'm Godford from the academy."

August welcomed him, "Good evening, please excuse for the lack of formality. This matter is too urgent."

"I understand. Then, I'll start right away. Can I ask for a personal belonging of the king? The more he cherishes it the better."

A moment later, Orphel gave Godford the king's crown which they found in the audience hall.

Godford accepted it. Holding it with both of his hands, he activated his spell. The three men then saw a translucent blue light form into the king's silhouette in the hall. He was lying on the floor holding his abdomen seemingly in pain.

They couldn't see anyone else's silhouette there, but the king's body was lifted up from the ground and was brought out of the hall. Godford and the others went to follow it.

But when they finally witnessed the conclusion of the event, the three of them couldn't move from the sofa from shock. A black fire drowned the blue silhouette of the king until no ashes were left.

The king was dead.

It was the same for everyone else who was in the palace.

"Don't tell me, this was the demons' objective all along…?" August still couldn't believe it.

"What should we do!? This is bad! Very bad!" Orphel panicked, "August, how will we explain this!?"

"Calm down, we haven't checked the prince's whereabouts yet. And didn't Rye say he wanted to meet with the king? If it's Rye–"

"Rye was here!?" Godford was shocked. He immediately became restless, "I'll try finding him."

40