Chapter 48.5 Mini Case 1
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 20th, 1921, William Pov 

 

It's been five days since William received the briefing from Lucia. Since then, he has assembled a team consisting of a ten-man squad of soldiers, three forensic scientists, and the lone Biologists.

They then took a boat filled with their cars and supplies to Somers Point, where it was unloaded. To then drive to Hammonton where the team sets up a field headquarters on the outskirts of town.

 

The reason they choose Hammonton is to set up the center of their search.  Is that it is the center of the latest string of incidents regarding there is mysterious Devil Jersey. With the disappearance of nearly a dozen cattle and more worryingly. The disappearance of several hunters who went out to hunt dear, but they never returned. 

 

This set off a new wave of panic, as before now the incidents had been disturbing and eerie. Though the disappearance of the young hunters changed everything. It caused everything to change. As this was the first time that the Jearsy devil was reported to have killed a human.

This was what William learned from those he interviewed. Who told William of the tail of the Jersey Devil? A devil child that was born in the late 1700s terrorized the Pinelands. The residents that William talked to, told various often contradicting stories. Though the description was surprisingly consistent. It has the body of the head and legs of a horse, the wings of a bat, and the body of a deer.

Something quite unnerving to William as he and his team soon start patrolling the woods around the town. Hoping to find and then track the beast.

 

July 22nd, 1921 William Pov.

 

It's been two days since William and his team started searching for the Jersey Devil and so far they have found little evidence. Though they have been able to narrow down the location of the beast. That, with the help of the locals they have managed to identify a potential lair for the creature. A small cave that is located to the northeast of the town.

So William and his team make the trek to the cave. Splitting up into two groups the first being composed of William and seven soldiers and the second that is trailing a way behind Williams's group. Consists of the remaining three soldiers and the support staff that has been brought in to handle the beast once it has been slayed. 

 

The trek takes the team nearly three hours and it is approaching three in the afternoon. When they finally reach the cave, which can be identified by the small opening on the side of a small hill. That has a gentle slope leading into it.

When William spots it he holds up his hand in a fist manner. Causing his men to stop suddenly.

“We arrived, stay on your guard, and if it doesn’t look human. Shoot first and ask questions later. Bart takes point.” William shouts as the soldiers move to alert. One of the soldiers armed with an elephant gun went in front of William, taking point. As he has the gun that is most likely to take out the beast.


After the new formation has been assembled. They slowly start to enter the cave, they heard an unnatural growl. That starts somewhat quiet but slowly grows louder.


“ Back up, it's better if we catch it out in the open,” William says, trying to sound confident but fear leaks out.

 

The group then quickly starts to retreat out of the cave with everyone but Bart, out of the cave. When suddenly a flapping of wings and the sound of hoofs can be heard coming closer.

Sensing danger, William suddenly shifts around and pulls Bart forward. Allowing him to avoid a fatal slash from the Jearsy devil who comes charging out of the cave, Wings swinging. 



Though it doesn’t save Bart from receiving several deep lacerations. Causing him to fall in pain. William moves out of the way. Allowing the soldiers behind him a clear line of fire. Which they promptly take advantage of, sending a volley of rifle rounds. They go flying toward the monster which is rapidly approaching Bart. Hoping to finish the job.

Several of the bullets hit doing very little to it. Other than causing it to shift focus from Bart. Alongside further enraging it.

Though that distraction is all that Bart needs to shakily raise his gun, aiming at the beast's chest before pulling the trigger. Causing the gun to go off followed by the sound of the bullet hitting the Devil. Alongside the sound of the recoil shattering Barts's's shoulder. The gun sends the large projectile straight through the beast's chest which is around an inch in diameter.

 

The Devil stumbles back a few feet before stumbling over to the ground dead. William quickly ensured that, before going to Bart.

“Are you ok, Bart?” William asks,  

 

“No, everything hurts like hell. Though I think I’ll live.” Bart responds slowly, with a hiss of pain interrupting it on several occasions. William nods at the statement. Before turning to another soldier.


“Get the second team to come up here and bag the creature. Also, someone treats Bart. The rest of you, secure the cave. Check to see if the missing bodies are in there.” William orders and the squad of soldiers split up to complete their duties.

 

The second team arrived five minutes later with the support staff splitting between the cave and the corpse of the creature.

The Cave is quickly searched and the bodies of the hunters are found, Half eaten. Something that causes the soldier that finds it to come running out of the cave. To a nearby tree where he quickly emptied his stomach. With him slightly shivering in terror at what he saw.

 

“You found the bodies,” William says sadly, with the soldier nodding his head as he cleans the puke from his face.

 

William then took a moment of silence for the victims of the monster. Before turning to another nearby soldier.


“Make it look like a bear attack. It's best if the Jearsy devil remains a myth.” William says slowly. The soldiers around him nod before starting to begin staging the fiction that will be told to the local sheriff. Along with the rest of the locals.

 

This is done by finding a local bear. Killing it and then staging it to look like it was living out of the cave. Which was hard and something that no one particularly liked doing. Though they understood that it was a necessary evil of their job.

As if the confirmation of the Jersey Devil was confirmed. It would be tantamount to confirming the existence of the supernatural world. Alongside giving credence to other mythological monsters that have been spoken of in Myths. The fear also is that it may spur cults on, with it giving them the credence and legitimacy that they lack now. All things that the American government would prefer to avoid. So William and his team have the unenviable task of upholding that deception that the American government wishes to maintain. 


So over the next few hours. The scene is set with a large bear found, killed, and carefully brought into the cave. With several details fabricated to make the bear's inhabitance seem more realistic. The body of the Jersey devil is wrapped and removed through a truck.

Before William brings the Sheriff and several deputies to the cave. Showing them the staged scene. With them too emotional and distraught to question or suspect any tampering. 

 

“Thank you for your help, Sir. This is a tragedy, though their families should have closure of their fate. Not knowing what happened is worse than knowing that they were killed. As they would have always had this whisper in the back of their minds whispering if they could be alive. Wondering what happened. Which takes a toll.” The sheriff says to William. In a way that implies that the Sheriff is talking from personal experience. Though William doesn’t inquire further. As he is told that the local police will handle the process of informing the hunter's relatives of their fate. 

 

William and his team then pack up and prepare to make the journey back to New Bristel with the Jersey Devil in tow.  

0