Chapter 49 Case 8 Part 1
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 30th, 1921, Lucia Pov

 

William had just returned from his successful mission. To slay the Jersey Devil. Which they did with minimal casualties, with only a single soldier being wounded.

The body of the creature was also brought back and is currently being to be studied in the basement of the building. Something that Lucia is waiting patiently for the results of. As it is the first unique creature of this world that the Bureau has faced.

 

Though at the moment Lucia is waiting for a rather important guest. Someone that Lucia has been excited to meet ever since she got the phone call to inform Lucia of the meeting two days ago. 


That being the occult expert that Flynn has promised me. Someone who Lucia first learned would be coming to meet me two days ago with a phone call. Which informed Lucia that he had found a candidate for the role of occult expert.

Today is the day that the expert is due to arrive at two in the afternoon. Lucia’s door is knocked.

 

“Come in,” Lucia says, looking up from her desk. The door then opens to reveal a middle-aged woman with graying hair, that is half grey and half brown. Though her face shows that of a warrior. With several prominent scars adorning her face. The woman is a veteran warrior who has faced some dangerous foes. 

 

“You must be Elvira Tonks. I am Lucia Belladras, it's a pleasure to meet you.” Lucia says to which Elvira nods.


“You are correct, it is also a pleasure to meet you as well. Director Flynn has said nothing but praise about you.” Elvira says as she takes a seat.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Lucia inquires to which Elvira shakes her head.

“No thanks, let's skip the pleasantries and get to the point. Director Flynn said you are looking for someone to handle occult research.” Elvira says directly. Looking Lucia straight into her eyes. Almost as if she is trying to look into Lucia’s soul. Though Lucia doesn’t back down, returning the stare back to Elvira. 

 

“Director Flynn is correct; we need someone with expertise on the occult and supernatural forces. It would also be helpful if you could help train our troops on handling supernatural beings. Though behind your direct job. We need to make contact with friendly magical communities. As they are invaluable to keeping the peace against hostile supernatural forces.” Lucia says equally direct. Elvira takes a few moments to think before responding. 

 

“That's fair, and I have no problem doing the first two. I will be willing to help you do both. As I have been looking for a job that doesn’t involve me fighting. Though for the third request, that will have to wait until I trust you and your agency's goals. As most magical communities tend to be closed off and very secretive. Not to mention being wary of outsiders, especially non-magical users. So, you must gain my trust before we continue this conversation. As it will be me who will have to vouch for you to even meet with a representative. Who will ultimately be the decider on whether you can further interact with them? So, I will not risk my reputation, until you have completely earned my trust.” Elvira responds.

“That's fair, though that means that you will be handling most of the magical research department. As even though I do have some skill in the occult and magic. I do not have the time to focus on that.” Lucia says and Elvira nods.

“That won’t be a problem,” Elvira says dismissing Lucias's comment.

 

The two then spend some time on the details of the employment. They talk about the pay and other minor employment details. Which turns out to be quite expensive. As Elvira’s yearly salary is going to be around 20 thousand dollars (Which is roughly 340,000 dollars in 2023) not including the other minor perks. Such as her own office and library.

 

Once the employment negotiations are concluded. Elvira decides to talk a bit about herself and her past profession. She was a monster hunter who wandered Europe and North America slaying monsters and the occasional cult. The scars that adorn her body seem to prove that. 


Elvira also probs into Lucias's knowledge of the occult and the source of her knowledge. She deflects saying that her family owned some tombs on magic. That was inherited from a distant branch of the family.  A plausible reason, as Lucia's family is rich enough to afford the material. Large and old enough that there might be some branch that has practiced magic. Plausible enough that there is no real ground for Elvira to call the bluff. As Lucia doesn’t feel comfortable enough to talk about her past life. As just as Lucia needs Elvira's trust for her to introduce Lucia to magical communities she knows of.

Elvira needs to earn Lucias's trust before she even thinks of talking about her past life to Elvira. Something that she might do. As she is curious about what could have happened to lead her here. From her past life.

 

Though it is clear that Elvira doesn’t seem to buy the lie. At least completely, as she seems extremely skeptical of Lucia’s lie. Though if she does, she doesn’t say anything merely nodding her head. 

 

The conversation then lasts around an hour. With Elivira leaving after she signs the employment contract and the Nda. With her starting in a month. After she manages to move to New Bristel and move into her new home. Which is to be provided by the Bureau's pocket.  

August 5th 1921

It has been two days since Elvira’s hiring and besides the excitement surrounding the Jersey devil being killed and several new hires arriving. The time has been dulled, though that is bound to change. When Lucia sees Director Flynn come through the door.

Causing Lucia to blink in surprise as she tries to try and remember whether Flynn had made an appointment with her. As she certainly doesn’t remember. Which she feels she should have. Though Flynn seems to see her surprise.

“Sorry for the unannounced visit, but I have received the results of the Boston's office investigation on Vance. Which has yielded some concerning results. Notably his bank statements. Which has a volume of money that is way above someone of his job. Which is that a society, should be receiving not to mention blatantly avoiding his taxes. He also seems to have been purchasing a large number of weapons over the past years. Though that has stopped in the past few months. Probably due to recent regulations on large-scale gun purchases. Though other than that I have several addresses and warrants to raid them.” Flynn rattles off.


“That's good, though how were you able to get the warrants?” Lucia asks.

 

“Through the findings from the investigation alongside the correspondences you find was enough to get the warrants on both locations,” Flynn answers.

 

“What are the locations and do you have any preference on which one we handle first.” Lucia comments.


“Vance seems to own numerous properties. Though there are two major ones we want you to focus on. The first is the mansion that he owns in New Bristel, near the University. The other is an estate that contains, what we think is a retreat lodge or something similar. We don’t know much more. Other than the fact that it is on a 40-acre, piece of land between Birch and Breed Pond. Other than that, the details about the property are nonexistent. Do you think that you will need support?” Flynn says. Leaving Lucia to contemplate for several moments before responding. 

 

“We will hit the home in New Bristel first. For support, I would like to say that we will be able to handle it with our forces alone. However, due to the case regarding the Brewers, I can’t. So, while we can have police support for the Mansion in New Bristol. Though for the Lodge, having a unit prepped to support would be nice.” Lucia responds and the two start going over the details of support. With a national guard and a local marine unit being put on alert. In case they are needed. 

 

Weapons info

Lucia
Mondragon Rifle

M1911

Alex

Model 12 pump action shotgun

m1911

August 7th, 1921

 

It's been two days since Lucia had her meeting with Director Flynn and she just finished briefing the details of the raid on Vance’s New Bristel Mansion. The briefing room is filled with 20 soldiers and 10 police officers who have joined the raid. Though soldiers are not present are still prepared to reinforce if needed. 

 

The briefing lasted nearly half an hour and it went across the known facts on the manor and Vance. Who is a wealthy landowner and businessman? Who owns several businesses and several tracts of land in the area.

 

After the briefing is over, the group gets into their cars. With Lucia and taking the second car to the front. With the car ahead being a police car.

The drive to the mansion is a rather long 25 minutes. The convoy eventually reaches the mansion. Which is a stately three-story home. With a large lawn surrounding it. Except for several smaller buildings on the outskirt of the property. Which is about half an acre of land in size. Surrounded by a stone fence. With only a metal gate allowing access to the property.

As soon as the strike force arrives. The soldiers and officers quickly exit their cars. Making their way to the stone wall. To prevent any sniper fire from reaching them. As they are prepared to face some resistance in storming the mansion. 

 

An: A basic layout of Vance's plot of land. Consists of three buildings. A main building, a guest house, and a garden shack. 

 

Before trying to force their way in. The police announced themselves and demanded that the gate be open or else. Waiting 30 seconds for anyone to come to the gate to let the team in. Something that everyone knew wasn’t going to happen. Yet it had to happen due to procedure. 

Soon one of the cops with a bolt cutter moves to cut the lock on the gate. Though just as he cuts the lock and moves to open the gate. He isn’t able to open the gate though. As rifle fire comes pouring out of the mansion. Most of the bullets hit the gate. Though more than a few rounds hit their mark. Causing the cop to drop like a rock, dead before he hits the ground. Another cop that had been assisting by providing cover was hit as well. Though he was luckier as he was only hit in the arm before being pulled back to cover by another cop. As the sudden gunfire left him in a state of shock at seeing a fellow cop killed. Causing him to be unable to move out of the way quickly enough on his own.  

 

The cops freeze in shock at the loss. While the soldiers jump into action. Returning fire by peering around the corners of the gate. 


For thirty seconds there is a trade of fire. With there being a slight decrease in enemy fire. As several cultists are presumably killed by the return fire.

Lucia then takes command and has the gate opened while other soldiers provide covering fire. The gate is opened and several soldiers rush in. Heading to a garden shack that is to the right of the entrance. Where they can get a foothold inside the mansion's ground. Allowing them to return a greater volume of fire. While providing Lucia a forward command that she can lead the assault.  Lucia makes her way to the right side of the small shack. As it blocks fire from the main house. As well as additional fire coming from a secondary guest house that is located on the left side of the property. 

 

In the distance, sirens are heard rapidly approaching. Likely from reinforcements and other cops reacting to the gunfire. Their help would be useful. Though they have limited use in building clearing, however. Due to their lack of training and the relatively light firepower, they possess. It would be unwise to have the cops try to clear the building. As they lack the training and weapons to safely clear out the buildings. Without the risk of suffering high causalities doing so. 

 

Though Lucia doesn’t have the time to think about that.

 

“Smoke, then prepare to charge,” Lucia shouts, and several soldiers nearby start prepping smoke grenades to cover the last portion of their advance. 

The assault team waited several moments until the smokescreen has developed fully. Before two squads of soldiers and a couple of police officers charge towards the two buildings under the cover of smoke.

 

Meanwhile, Lucia and Alex, and three other soldiers stay behind the garden shack. Lucia wished that there were comms available for her to coordinate the strike. As she has come to sorely miss the technology that made leading easier. 

 

Though back to the assault squads. With both squads heading to their respective targets. With the Alpha squad and several police officers tasked with securing the main house. While the Bravo squad is tasked with securing the guest house. 

 

Alpha Team- Sergeant Stuart Pov

 

When Lucia gives the order Sergeant Stuart quickly turns to his squad and the cops attached to it.

“We need two smoke grenades ASAP,” Stuart shouts, with two of his men preparing theirs. Stuart can also see the same happening at Bravo Squad. Who is also prepping Smoke grenades?

They are then thrown over the walls. Into the area between the entrances of the two houses. They then wait for roughly 30 seconds until the smoke has fully enveloped the courtyard.

Alpha and Bravo Squad then rush into the compound. With the Bravo squad on the left side and the Stuarts squad on the right side.

The squad soon reaches the entranceway. Killing two cultists who were firing from the first-floor windows. They don’t go near the door yet though.

“Grenade then breach!” Stuart yells and a soldier lobs a grenade into the room through a broken window. There is a pause for several moments before an explosion is heard from inside the entranceway.


After the explosion, a shotgun-armed soldier then rushes to the door. Shooting the door handle before power kicking the door open. Which it does, though it does seem a bit painful to Stuart. Though he doesn’t have time to dwell.

 

“Breach, clear the room!” Stuart yells. As the squad rushes in. Killing the three surviving cultists that survived the blast. Alongside two on the second floor. Who were in the open loft area? 

 

Stuart quickly has the cops advance up the stairs to secure the second floor. As it is likely to be the least defended area. Before turning to his men.


“Alpha team you're with me. Bravo team secure the rooms North of here.” Stuart says and they quickly head to the door in the Northeast of the room. Though Stuart quickly turns to Alpha team. Where he quickly points to the door on the east side of the room.

“Stack up on the door and breach on command,” Stuart says and the soldiers quickly do so. With two men on each side of the door. Stuart joining the men on the left side of the door.

“Breach” Stuart orders, once the team is stacked up on the door.

The team quickly kicks open the door and rushes in. Quickly killing the two cultists defending the room. Which had been covering that entrance alongside another one. On the north side of the room, which presumably leads to a hallway that spans the entire main house.

 

The room Stuart's team just cleared appears to be a sitting room with several couches and leather chairs. Alongside several other expensive pieces of furniture that lend well to the extravagant nature of the room's decorations.

The team then moves to the door on the other side of the room. Stacking up on it again. Though before that happens a cop is called in from the main room, to watch the door at the north side of the room.

The team then goes through the same process to breach the next room. Once again, quickly dispatching the few defenders of the room. Which appears to be a library. This makes Stuart quite happy that he refrained from using grenades to assist in the breaching. As if he did, and any books were destroyed. He would have been in for an earful from Lucia on the destruction of potentially useful evidence and research material.

The team then continues westward. Quickly breaching and clearing the last room. Which appears to be servants' quarters. Quite awful servants' quarters as it seems that over a dozen people sleep in the room. As it is filled with cheap bunkbeds and footlockers. 

 

The team doesn’t spend much time in the servant quarters as they quickly head back to the entranceway. To check on the progress of the cops tasked with securing the second floor. Alongside reinforcing them if necessary.

As soon as they make their way to the entrance way, they find a cop carrying an injured comrade down the stairs. 

 

“Has the second floor been secured?” Stuart inquiries, causing the uninjured cop to turn his head to face Stuart.

“It is, though we took heavy losses. They got two of us and Braddy is injured and needs to be brought out. The rest of us are doing a second sweep.” The cop says not stopping to talk.

 

“Two of you go relive the cops. The rest follow me.” Stuart orders and the team wordlessly chooses two of the soldiers to go relieve the cops.

Who quickly make their way up the stairs. The rest follow Stuart who was going to check on the Bravo team's progress. Until the team leader from Bravo team comes into the entranceway from the northeast door.

“Situation?” Stuart questions.

“The hallway and Northside of the building is secure. A stairway heading to the underground structure was found and the rest of my team are holding it down.” The team leader reports.

 

“Good, the south side of the building is secured alongside the second floor has also been secure. I will report to Lucia, the rest of you lock down the stair going underground.” Stuart instructs before he makes his way to Lucia's impromptu command center. Where he reports the squads' success and the casualties. Before heading to join his squad.

 

 



 

 

 Bravo Team - Sergeant Anthony King Pov

  • At the start of the assault.

 

While Alpha squad led by Sergent Stuart heads to the main house.
King and his men peel off and head to what appears to be a guest house. That is significantly smaller than the main house. 


As they reach the front entrance, they quickly shoot a cultist firing at them from a window to the left of the door. 

 

“Put a grenade through that window. Then breach the entranceway.” King orders and a grenade is quickly thrown through the broken window. With a bang soon coming from within the building. With several shouts of grenade preluding to it. 

 


Soon afterward the door is kicked in and two remaining cultists are quickly shot. Though they the squad is quickly forced to the right side of the entrance room. Due to there being several cultists further down the hallway. Which have set up a makeshift barricade from a hastily moved couch. Which is located approximately halfway down the hallway. With a stairway to the second floor on the other side of it. 

 

“Charlie squad with me, Delta squad pin the cultists down at the barricade.” King quickly orders. As he takes one four-man team to the door on the Northern side of the room.

 

They quickly stack up on the door. With one quickly kicking the door open. With King storming in right after. Using his pump action shotgun to gun down. Two cultists were behind a hastily thrown-together pile of furniture. Another two were killed by the soldiers following behind King.

 

The team quickly makes their way to the next door. Where they quickly breech. Overwhelming the sole defender of the room. While one soldier remains to cover their rear. The remainder of the team heads to the southern door. Where they successfully surprise cultists in the next room. Which were busy manning the makeshift barricade holding off the other team. 


With the hallway being cleared, Delta team moves up to secure one room on the first floor in the hallway in front of the barricade. As well as the second floor.

While King and Charlie team. Secure the last large room on the first floor. Which they surprisingly find empty.

 

Though that doesn’t give King or any of the soldiers any comfort. What they find cause them to shiver in terror.

They find an unholy chapel. Which while at a glance appears like a normal chapel. Soon seems so evil, instead of christen symbols. There are occultic symbols and most disturbingly a figure of a bat-like creature carved in an indescribable sculpture. As, when King tries to. He is left with a headache and an indescribable feeling of otherworldliness that leaves him uncovered and his psyche slightly spooked.

Leaving King to try and ignore the symbols as he looks for something less scary. He quickly does so. In the form of a downward set of stairs.

“Fuck, why do cults always love basements,” King mutters. As he and his men soon secure the room, locking down the stairs. As they wait for Delta team to secure the second floor. Which they do nearly ten minutes later. 

 

Once they do, King heads to Lucia to alert her of their disturbing discovery.

 

Lucia Pov:

 

As the assault of Martin Vance’s home commences. Lucia, Alex, and her command team. Are left at the garden house providing overwatch security on the entrance. 

 

Lucia is also left to sulk at not being able to join one of the teams. Something that she was talked out of by Alex. As he told her that her family was uncomfortable with her being in such dangerous situations. Which was fair despite being slightly disappointed by how much action Lucia sees. 

 

So for the next five minutes after the assault teams begin their sweep of the buildings. Lucia is left to mostly twiddle her thumbs to make sure no cultists try to flank them.

Something that the cultists did try to do on a few occasions. Though they got nowhere. 

 

Soon however that changed with additional police cars arriving. One of the officers was police Sergent Bondar. Who is facing a grim expression as he quickly makes his way to Lucia's position?

 

Which is currently inside the garden shack. Which has been quickly emptied by several soldiers and cops. Who had thrown it in front of the shack? Creating a makeshift barricade, that they are using for cover. During their overwatch.


“What's the situation? The mayor is having a hard time keeping the city calm with the gunfire that's coming from here.” Bondar states.

“When we went to try and enter the premises, after giving the standard warning. They opened fire, killing the cop trying to cut the lock. Then we were forced to assault the compound. Which is what my men are currently doing now.” Lucia responds.

“Is the cop trying to open the gate the only causality?” Bondar inquires.


“The cop is the only fatality that I know of. Another cop got hit in the arm. Though they should survive.” Lucia answers and the two begin talking about what's going to happen. 

 

After another eight or so minutes. Sergeant King enters the room appearing slightly shaken. 


“ Ma’am, we have secured the guest house. We have found a room that you should probably investigate yourself. We have also discovered a stairway heading underground.” Sergeant King reports though he seems to shiver slightly at the

“Very well, lead the way. Sergeant Bondar, how about you join us?” Lucia responds. The police sergeant quickly agreed. Lucia turns to one of her men.

 

“If Sergeant Stuart comes, send him my way,” Lucia says to one of her soldiers. Before leaving the garden shack.

 

So Lucia, Alex, Sergeant Bonder, and the soldier make their way to the guest house. Entering the entranceway, they take a right-hand turn. Following the path, King took to clear the house.


Lucia and her group quickly make their way to the other side of the house. Soon reaching their destination, which soon causes everyone but Lucia to slightly shiver as they realize the creepiness of the room.

Lucia quickly spots the sculpture at the end of the room. Lucia makes her way to it to get a better look. To find a bat-like creature, similar yet different to the ones she found at the professor's house. Though it seems to be a bat combined with some type of Gargoyle.

Lucia can only imagine that the sculpture is of Cantrope and this room is that of an occultic chapel to him. Lucia then takes a quick look at the stairway before turning to Sergeant King.

 

“Has the underground been secured yet?” Lucia inquires.

“No, ma’am.” Sergeant King responds. 


“Once the main house is secured, I want you and Stuart to clear the basement. I don’t doubt that they are connected. As soon as possible as the forensic team can’t begin until it's secured.” Lucia briefs before heading back to the garden shack with the group that followed her and King. 


“That sculpture was otherworldly.” Bondar comments with a surprised shiver. A comment that Lucia nods her head at.

“Yes, it does seem so. This creature is most likely the being the cult worships." Lucia informs the cop.

“What the fuck is wrong with people. I would go mad if I looked at that thing for any long length of time.” Bondar says,

 

“Most of them are quite made to have joined a cult worshiping that monster, to begin with. “Lucia dryly comments.


“Touche,” Bondar says.

 

Lucia and Bondar and her accompanying soldiers return to the garden shack. Where they wait for approximately 30 minutes when the two sergeants return to report the capture of the underground space. Which was thankfully lightly defended with their only two additional cultists who tried to obstruct their advance.

With the basement of the two buildings secured. The support teams could finally enter to begin the search of the buildings to find evidence and occultic texts and objects. Alongside documenting the bodies of the cultists found.

Though something that Lucia notes is that Martin Vance was not found among the cultists. Alongside a lack of regular servants. Meaning that Vance somehow predicted the raid in advance. Perhaps using the contacts that were obtained through Fletcher's Gentleman's Club. As Lucia did remember that there were several members of the police and city hall mentioned. Not all of these have been questioned yet. Due to the mayors' hesitance to have them questioned. Likely due to the mayor's own crimes.  

 

That also means that they will also be expecting them at the lodge. Perhaps having time to fortify it. Meaning that it is more likely that the Marines and national guard will have to be called. 

 

Though that is something that Lucia holds off on, for a few more days. Now she has to work on debriefing her sergeants on their squads' performance. Which excludes the cops with them. Was flawless, as they didn’t suffer a single casualty. As they managed to successfully use the tactics on building clearing that Lucia instructed. In this case, she was impressed with their tactical use of grenades. To clear out certain rooms. While not using them in rooms that contain sensitive materials.

 

Their commentary on their actions also gave Lucia some reminder on gear that she needs to develop. Which will make such engagements much easier. In particular stun grenades, flashbangs, and breaching charges. All of which will make clearing small rooms easier, by giving her teams more tools to engage hostile forces with. Alongside reducing the chances of casualties and the reliance on frag grenades. Which while useful are destructive and lethal. Leading to them being unusable in cases where targets are to be taken alive. As well as rooms such as libraries, offices, and other similar rooms. Where there are documents, books, and other fragile materials that may be destroyed or damaged by the grenades. That may ultimately ruin any potential gains on the property search.

Though that is a long-term goal, a very difficult one at that. As these gadgets didn’t become popular until the second half of the 20th century. Frankly the idea and most of the tactics that Lucias's men used. Also weren’t invented or used until the late 1900s as well. Since the first Swat team wasn’t invented until the 1960s.

 

Though Lucia didn’t have the time to think of long-term goals at the moment. So, she put the thoughts away until later. As after debriefing her men, Lucia started to oversee the forensic team as they carefully and dissemble every room in the house looking for any evidence possible on Cantrope and the cult. Something that Lucia is sure will take hours for them to catalog and box. Not mentioning the analysis of the material. Which will happen at headquarters.


As Lucia wouldn’t be surprised if the cult tries to ambush them to destroy documents and retrieve religious artifacts. Both of these are not uncommon in Lucia's past life experiences.

So as the forensic team goes through the houses. The soldiers and cops are kept on high alert. Prepared for an ambush to occur at any moment. 

0