Chapter 50 Case 8 Part 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

August 9th 1921

It's been two days since the raid on Vance's home in New Bristel and after nearly two days of nearly consistent work by the Bureau's research and forensic teams. Two groups of people that Lucia realizes are woefully understaffed. Especially when it comes to research for found documents. Though that is a problem that can be solved in the future. Though now Lucia is reviewing her findings, before she presents them to Flynn, who is due to arrive any minute now. 

 

The findings were vast on multiple fronts. Though the biggest find was that of Martin Vance's diary. It contains a treasure trove of information on the cult, Vance's operations, and the estate they are preparing to raid. Something that is making Lucia quite nervous. Though on the other front. They found a lot of information on Cantrope and its ritual and Spell magic in a series of books on it. Though Lucia doubts that it's anything close to a complete collection. Beyond Cantripe though, around 150 books on other occult topics were found. Several other books from other possible deities were found. Though Lucia has decided to hold off on going through any occultic finds until Elvira begins. Going through occultic materials blind is incredibly dumb to do.

 

Beyond the books captured several sculptures of Cantrope were brought back to Hq. Alongside the weapons captured. On a side note, there also seemed to be a small distillery found in the basement. For reasons that Lucia is still unsure of. Though Lucia is equally unsure how no one noticed it. Due to the amount of traffic that it will produce. Though Lucia wouldn’t be surprised if Vance was paying someone to keep the police in the dark about it. Perhaps the same person who alerted him to the raid on his home. 

 

Though as Lucia finishes her preparations for the briefing. Lucia hears her door being knocked on.

“Director Flynn is here.” Lucia hears her secretary say.

“Send him in,” Lucia responds.

 

Soon after Flynn enters the room. Wearing his regular suit and a pleased look on his face.

“Congratulations on the raid. From what I have heard it's quite a success. The police were quite impressed with your men's performance.” Flynn begins.

 

“Well make sure my men are the best at doing their job. Clearing out houses filled with bad guys is a big part of it.” Lucia respond.

 

“I’ll take your word for it. Since I haven’t seen anything like it. Though on a side note. I do believe that the B.O.I and the police can also benefit from this. To help deal with more mundane criminals. So if you can spare a few men after this investigation. We would like to have them train my men as well.” Flynn says.

“Sure. that shouldn’t be a problem,” Lucia responds.

“Good, so what did you find.” Flynn requests.

“We found a lot, including the leaders of the cult. As well as some information on the lodge, mainly a rough blueprint and a rough number of men that we might face and their weapons. As well as much more relating to the magic the cult uses and the cult in general. Though I am waiting for Elvira to go through that.” Lucia says.

 

“Start with the Lodge.” Flynn orders.

“Well, it's not going to be easy. Going by the blueprints and maps of the area. It's going to be challenging to assault it due to the geography alone. To the left and right their water as well as hills. To the north, there's dense woods. Leaving the South as the only easy way to assault. When you combine the cult's defenses from recon and reports from cops. Include a large fence and several watchtowers and suspiciously bunker-like buildings. Make breaching the compound a challenging endeavor. Manpower wise. We can expect up to four to five hundred men there with heavy weapons. Including machine guns and possibly homemade armored vehicles. Alongside the risk of summoned horrors and the Cantrope horrors.  This is made worse by the fact that this is just a regional headquarters and not the main one. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if they know were coming. As only guards were found at Vance's house. Though on the other hand, no evidence was destroyed, so it was last minute. Though they will know that we are coming to raid the lodge. ” Lucia reports and Flynn lots out several curses.

“Fuck, if that's the case then we will a lot of men to take the place. Do you think that they will retreat or abandon their base? Since it's been discovered?” Flynn asks to which Lucia shakes her head.

 

“Doubtful, as they most likely have a large number of weapons, occultic knowledge, and cult symbols that they would have to bring with them. Which is impossible to do without attracting our attention. Which will make it easy for them to be picked off in smaller groups in the open. As well as potentially expose other cult bases.” Lucia responds and Flynn doesn’t seem surprised.

“I thought the same, it was just wishful thinking. Though I heard that you said that Vance isn’t the head of the Cult, who is? Flynn says.

 

“Vance is not the head, he’s the head of the cult's operations in the Northern Massachusetts. Pretty much everything North of Boston. To be honest it seems that Vance isn’t a true believer just a profiter who wants to benefit from the other people in the cult. To meet his own ends. Though he ended up slightly brainwashed. The true heads of the cult are Oberon Brendal and Charles Lyker.” Lucia reports and Flynn's eyebrow raises slightly.

 

“Should I recognize their names?” Flynn asks and Lucia sheepishly smiles. She realizes that Flynn comes from a much different background than Lucia. Alongside being from New York.

“No, though to be honest I don’t know who Charles Lyker is. Though I certainly know who Oberon Bendal is. I actually meet the man once or twice. At galas for the Bostonian elite. The Brendal family, which Oberon is the patriarch of, is a wealthy family who opened one of the first textile mills in the early 1800s. Soon after Oberon took over the company in the 1880s. He began to diversify, opening an investment company. Something that made the family much more money than their textile mill does. My guess is that Flynn is the public face of the cult and financial bake. While Charles Lyker is the spiritual and religious head. Though that is only my conjecture” Lucia says, and Flynn seems a bit surprised at the Brendal family's wealth and influence.

 

“That's troubling to know the cult has such deep pockets and influence. Though it does open up new avenues of attack. Although it's likely too late to do much.” Flynn responds with Lucia nodding her head.



“Yes, attacking the cult through the Brendal family's money. May have a limited effect on the cult and its firepower. Though it may stop them from panic-buying large quantities of weapons. It also gives us a starting location to finding their primary headquarters.” Lucia responds. 

 

“Good point, I will start looking into that. I will also have several additional units ready. As I am pretty sure that you will need them.” Flynn says and Lucia nods at that. Though Lucia is unaware of the units prepared. She knows that the more men available the better. 

 

The two spend the next 20 minutes talking about the cult case before Flynn changes the subject.


“Moving on from the case, I have a more personal announcement that I have to make. My tenure at the B.O.It is coming to a close. Though with the current situation, the attorney general and myself feel that it will be better if remain as a supervisor for the case and as an acting representative for the U.S. government. At least until the cult has been defeated. I am still the Director of the B.O.I have until the 21st though. So you will meet with my successor by the end of the month.” Flynn announces and Lucia is a bit surprised.


“That's sad to hear, though I agree that it will be better if you remain until the end of this situation. Then foist this task onto your successor. Though on a slightly different subject. Has the Deputy director been selected?” Lucia responds.

“From what I have heard, several candidates are being screened. Though one hasn’t been chosen yet. However, I imagine that they will be picked before the end of the year. Though I am not yet aware of who the candidates are yet. Though I don’t think I will be able to tell you.” Flynn says to which Lucia says nothing and just nods. 


The two then talk about several lighter topics though they are soon interrupted by Sergent Stuart. Who quickly enters the room with a piece of paper. Most likely a report from the scouts. Watching the lodge complex. Though the concern on his face. Cause Lucia to become concerned.

Stuart wordlessly hands Lucia the paper and after reading over it quickly is unable to hold in the curse that slips through her lips.

 

At the curse, Flynn also seems to recognize that the situation is serious. Though he is equally confused.

 

“The cult definitely knows we're coming as Vance seems to have called back all the smaller chapters. As according to the scouts there has been a near-constant stream of trucks coming in and out of the lodges compound. Most likely bringing men and guns from the many smaller chapters. That is spread across Northern Massachusetts.” Lucia says.

 

“They're preparing for a siege,” Flynn comments.

“Yes, it is also putting us on a clock as the longer we wait. The more men, guns, and food they can stuff into the compound. Making it much harder to take.” Lucia adds on.

 

“Can we try and block them from entering?” Flynn asks.

“Maybe, but certainly not with our current strength. As they would just fight through us. Which will endanger our own men, but also innocent civilians. Who may get caught in the crossfire? There is also the problem with identifying them before there right in front of the compound." Lucia answers.

 

“Shame, can we try, and attack known chapters before they make the trek to Vance's headquarters?” Flynn asks.

 

“It's probably too late. Though the police would also likely be unequipped to handle them. We have to” Lucia replies as she lets out a sigh.

 

“So we just have to let them fortify and reinforce their positions?” Flynn questions.

“Yes, until we can get marines and national guardsmen to begin the siege, yes. Though I have a feeling that any we do prevent from reaching Vance's headquarters will head back to a different chapter to fortify and plan for a last stand or head back to the main headquarters. Which I imagine is larger, better defended, and harder to take than this. As well as more established. ” Lucia says and Flynn seems to slightly sink into his chair.

“That seems just as bad, as letting them all regroup at Vance's Hq. Not to mention the fact that this is just a regional headquarters.” Flynn says with a stressed undertone to his voice. Lucia sadly nods in agreement.

“How many men do you think we will need to take it?” Lucia 

 

“We will probably have to mobilize the entire national guard of Massachusetts and a battalion or two of marines if not more. Though it could easily be more. I am no officer; we should probably get the military to get their opinion of the situation.” Flynn says. Causing both to let out stressed sighs again. 

 

“Well let's get started on that as soon as possible. We need as much help as possible. To handle not just this but the rest of the cult. Though I suppose you're right. We should start to cordon off the area around the compound. Cut off their road access or make a challenge to get through.” Lucia responds.

 

“That sounds like a plan. I should probably start rounding up police units for first responders.” Flynn responds and the two are left in a tense silence. With both thinking of the many challenges, they will face. Alongside the bloodshed that will engulf the Boston area. An area that should be peaceful. The only problem was the depression caused by World War 1 and the Spanish Flu that had ravaged the country until a little over a year ago. 

 

Though that is not to be. As Flynn soon leaves to prepare a mishmash of state, county, and state police forces to start a blockade on Vance headquarters to deny him any more supplies and reinforcements.

Lucia is left to wonder how much blood is to be spilled until the cult is destroyed. 

0