Chapter 1: 5 more minutes
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Isn't it lovely,

all alone.

Heart made of glass,

my mind of stone.

Tear me to pieces, skin and bone.

Hello , Welcome Home

~Anonymous

~Anonymous

~X~

I walked through the heavy crowded streets of the city. It was pretty late at night. 'Honestly! This city never sleeps.' A scowl was etched on my face as I thought this.  At this moment I just wanted to do my job and then take a nice long shower. 

You see, apparently being a grim reaper is not easy. You have to navigate throughout your assigned city, reach out to the soul and then escort it back to the judgement room. I checked my watch and waited for the death of my last assigned soul of tonight. I was standing across the street from a store. I checked my watch. It was 11:27. I looked across the street to see a 30 something man paying for his cigars. 

Little did he know that exactly 4 minutes later he would die. Some would say that it was heartless to stand and watch him advancing to his death when you could save him but what could I say, It's just how life is. I was jolted from my thoughts when I heard he heavy screeching of tires. 

Chaos ensued. People crowded around the dying man. 'Hope he won't make this more difficult than it already is' I thought.  I started walking through the crowds towards the man. He seemed to sense my presence. His eyes met mine and widened. I could see fear, panic and confusion swirling inside those black orbs. I took out my tracker device to capture the soul and before you say something let me tell you that yes I don't use a scythe to receive a soul. Did you really thought that grim reapers still carry a huge and heavy scythe across the city? 

"Mr. Bill Maxley, I know it would be hard to understand but" I began talking to him until he cut me off. "Will, my name is Will Maxley" he whispered, his voice etched with fright. 

"Alright Mr. Will Maxley, I know it would be hard to understand but" I paused looking at his panic stricken face. I sighed, knowing it would be difficult. I continued "but you are dead." I continued to emotionally look at his face. He stood up at looked at his now dead vessel. 

"I- I , please let me go" he begs. "I can't be dead, I don't want to die" he pleaded. 

This always happens. People don't cherish their lives. They waste it and when it is their time to go, they regret, they suddenly realize that there is so much yet to do, but then it is too late. 

It's always too late, isn't it?

"Mr. Will Maxley, I am sorry but your request is not within my capabilities. I would have to escort you through the portal which would take you a nice happy place where you would be atoned for your good and bad deeds" I continued on with my protocol speech.

"no please no..." saying this he bolted away. 

'Oh great! there goes my peaceful night' I grumbled as I ran after him. Had to say that he could have won Olympics with the speed he is running at.

~.~

"Mr. Bill Maxley, it's time for us to go." I stared at him as I said this.

"It's Will, not Bill" he had the guts to correct me when he had me run after him for hours across the city to get him.

I scowled at him while he continued to stare at his poor crying wife and his 7 year old daughter. 

"I never cherished them throughout my life. I always ignored them. Took them for granted" he started muttering to me. " The first time I met her...I was awed by her beauty. Love at first sight. When she said yes to my proposal I was the happiest man alive" he continued, his voice a soft whisper " The wedding day was the happiest day of my life. I promised her the world. I promised myself to love her forever. Our daughter was the best thing that happened to our life" his voice was barely heard. Tears trail down his cheeks."

"Will, we have been here for hours. It's time to go. You won't change anything even if you stay here." I said.

"5 more minute please" he says.

~.~

Sighing to myself, I opened my apartment door. I checked the time. It was 3:47 am. Escorting Bill was difficult. He was a nice soul. I plopped myself on my comfortable bed. My eyes closing to a peaceful slumber much deserved after such an exhausting day.

~X~

Author's Note

lol! i just realized that i have yet to tell you all the name of our protagonist. Any guesses on the name?

The main character of my story is quite heartless right now. Don't worry though, I planned for her to have character development as the story progresses. 

but i do feel bad for Bill...I mean Will Maxley. Please spare some vote to make him feel remembered(I know how it feel when someone confuses over your name :(  )

1