Chapter 5: A Tea Party to Dominate.
614 1 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: A Tea Party to Dominate.

Scarlett's POV

It seems that I won't be able to easily befriend Miss Olivia at the moment so might as well wait for another time and just focus on myself. I intend to do that by visiting the family library. "Another book about politics, wonderful."

It derives from the laws and fabrication of the royal court. Where might as say despite it being overrun by greedy monarchies I would say these nobles are not that greedy distributing the right amount of taxes for each civilian.

"Oh? Another book regarding merchants and their rules of trade? Don't mind if I do." I reached out for the thin book and it includes some trade routes that might be useful in future trading with other merchants.

If I manage to be exiled or clear a bad ending I should run and start my own business.

"It's been three days and I see you've made the library your home, Scarlett." (Sawyer) my brother says while he continues to work on his own tasks. While I would prefer the peaceful tranquil of reading alone he's quite the help when it comes to things that I couldn't understand.

"Out of all the places in the house this is where I have the most fun now." I reply to him back walking to his direction and placing the books I've chosen to give a good read. I'm just preparing for any threats in the future. "Are there any islands for sale, brother? Some island far away from here would be beneficial for my vacation home."

He laughs patting my head. "Already thinking of your retirement when you're still a child? You don't need to worry about such things." (Sawyer) picks up his quill, dipping it in ink before moving onto his next sheet of paper.

"And what are you working on, brother? Is it some sort of love letter perhaps?" I ask leaning in to what he was writing and instead of pushing me away he lets me see what he was writing.

"It is a reply from another noble friend I should get acquainted with. He told me to go hunting with him sometime near the South Ingrina Village." (Sawyer) lets me see the letter and I roll my eyes.

"Hunting... is it fun?" I take the letter from him and inspect it. I wonder how they hunt around these parts? "Can I come?" I ask Sawyer and he chuckles for a bit before taking the letter back.

"Of course not you're a-"

"If you state the reason why I can't tag along is because I'm a girl. I won't hesitate to throw you in your chair." I held the back of his chair and pulled it a little to show him that I do not take misogyny lightly even if you are related to me by blood.

"I was about to say- a minor. The hunting grounds are only for big kid adults like us."

"Big kid adults are not a good combination for trifling excuses, brother." I crossed my arms and he sighs looking conflicted.

"Scarlett, even if you can ride a horse and tag along with us. What if I won't be there to protect you? I will be too busy keeping negotiations with my friend that you might get into trouble besides- you haven't awakened your magic yet." (Sawyer) reasons with me and I have to admit... that was a pretty good line of defense.

I groaned and slumped my body into the table not looking like a proper lady but a child who got rejected to be invited to a cool hunting mission. "What should I do in the meantime then?" my muffle voice replied sadly and he tried on consoling me by patting my back.

"You could always turn up to those invitations sent by the other nobility? The one with the tea parties and gatherings." (Sawyer) puts his letter on an envelope before giving me one last push. "You've been in here for too long. You need other people to keep you company."

If I remember correctly, the original Scarlett's friend's are not the brightest either.

"I hate people. They talk behind each other's back and stab each other when they're not looking." I told my brother but he doesn't seem to believe any of what I just said. I tell you Sawyer!

It's not easy being a woman who smiles on occasions like these! Acting as if their verbal accusations against you doesn't hurt- but in reality it does and due to things like reputation you have to just nod, laugh and ignore it. "If you were in my shoes I know you'd say the same thing."

"Oh I completely agree with you, however these relationship with people is what keeps us ahead of the rest of the other noble families so hang in there alright?" (Sawyer) ruffles my hair one last time before taking a stand and putting his seat back at the desk. "I'll see you at dinnertime, Scarlett. Don't be late now." he waves his hand walking into the library door closing it behind him.

"Tea parties. As if I would want to go into one of those."

Tea parties... a place where plenty of young noble women impress, kiss on their boot, and flatter the most powerful person there is inside the room. Perhaps I can use that to my advantage?

.-.-.-.-.-.

"Milady... these are all the discarded invitations you've had the past week." (Elise) gives me many old sealed letters with different family wax crests. "I've taken the liberty of arranging them from most influential to least influential."

She also handed me a paper knife to which I took with great care and began opening them each. I will start from the least influential families.

Which in this case the monarchy ranks in this game are: 1. Baron and Baroness.

2. Viscount and Viscountess.

3. Count and Countess.

4. Marquess and Marchioness. (This is where my family resides).

5. Duke and Duchess.

6. Crown Prince. (The Heir).

7. King and Queen.

You could say we're in the very middle of the power grabbing game. So once this list is settled, while I understand I'm going from least influential I should still consider which and what kind of family they came from.

Let's see... Rebecca Clifford. A Baron's daughter, someone who's of lower standing but... from the original Scarlett's past memory, they just became acquainted from a third party acquaintance.

My past self that played the game has never mentioned this girl. I guess she's a hidden side character.

The other names from the game I don't recognize as well. I can't plan anything if this will continue... I certainly need a diplomat on my side to teach me how to relay information and such.

"Ugh..." I groaned feeling like another headache will come but honestly this is just the stress from all this planning.

Ever since transmigrating into this place it's been nothing but headaches. I rubbed the sides of the temple to try and calm myself down.

Think... Scarlett... I could just attend all of them but how will I be able to prepare myself if I don't even know these people?

"Milady, here are your snacks and tea." (Elise) leans in at my desk to place the usual tray of sweets and tea.

I was too focused on thinking I didn't even notice her presence behind me, a few moments ago she gave me these letters and now she has me serving sweets.

Is she a super maid or something?

"Thank you, Elise." I put the letter to the side for now and take a biscuit out of the tray. It tastes like sweet butter and it uplifts my mood a little bit at least.

"Oh Lady Rebecca Clifford. I've heard from the other maids that she's going through rough times with her parents almost getting divorced." (Elise) mutters, she couldn't help herself from saying that out loud.

I look at her in a puzzled expression. Hold on- Elise has maid gossip right?

"Elise what do you know of this girl and her family?" I reach for the letter and show it to her. Elise's eyes darted to me in confusion. "Tell me."

She hovers onto the letter and places her hand on her chin trying to think what else she hears. "Their family runs a silk business from the nearby city and she's an only child. I've also heard she's allergic to flowers and that she's into questionable novels... T-That's all I've heard, milady." (Elise)

"Questionable novels?" I raise my eyebrows at her and she looks around before leaning to my ear to whisper. "Novels about two boy's love, milady."

Oh? What a surprise.

I almost seemed relieved to know that this person was allergic to flowers because if I brought them as a gift, I would be in a humiliating situation but to think this lady has a thing for those kinds of love stories... How utterly delightful.

"How about the other invites?" I gave her the other open letters and she took them one by one.

"Lady Felicity of Voungard the daughter of a Marquess likes chocolates... I heard from the other maids she ordered a shop that ran out of stock and enraged people in her village."

"Lady Verosica a daughter of a Count likes animals but... is allergic to them she almost died trying to keep a cat but was forbidden to do so I believe."

"Lady Clarisse... the daughter of a Count as well, was rumored to have an addiction and fascination with sharp objects. The other house have even rumored to have many of its servants injured that they started hiring slaves."

With that we were done with the whole invite list. While four people only reached out to me, its still a lot considering how horrible the original Scarlett is. "I'm guessing the intel connection of servants is not one to be underestimated. Well done, Elise." I praise my maid who smiles happily at my words.

I took out a few gold coins from my desk and placed it on her hand. "As a reward for helping me and do you mind doing me a favor?"

Her eyes shined at the gold coins and clenched it in her hand. "Thank you for the kind rewards milady and of course, what favor would you like me to do?" she looks so determined knowing that if she helps me more...

Rewards will be given.

"Show your rewards to maids that you trust and tell them. If they give me correct information, these rewards can be more than gold coins." I grinned and went towards my other preparations. Elise nods, having clear instructions on what to do. I'll be attending the earliest tea party invite that's bound to happen three days from now. 

Looks like I'll be needing to buy a few things before I make a new first impression. As the new Scarlett De Chevalier.

46