V2 – It Starts With You: Makoto & Kaede
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There’s really no smoking inside anywhere…?” Kaede whispered to herself.

The sun had long since set and everyone had gone to sleep—except for her. She couldn’t sleep not because she was in a room with a man she’d never met before, but simply because she was more of a night-owl. This might’ve been exemplified by her office job, but she’s been this way most of her life. 

It’s going to be freezing outside… Is it really worth it? I can just go back to sleep, it doesn’t really matter. 

After thinking for a moment she came to a conclusion.
It does matter.

Kaede walked through one of the hotel’s many hallways until she found a side door leading to an area in the back meant for relaxing outside. 

If anyone saw me right now they’d probably think I’m crazy. Sitting outside in the rain, during the middle of the night… She looked down at herself to see what she was wearing. 

The combination of the checkered pajama pants, tank top, and blazer isn’t a good look for me. She smiled to herself.

Kaede sat on the dry concrete step under an awning that covered the door. She took a pack of cigarettes out of her blazer along with a lighter. 

I probably am crazy. I’m the one that made the choice to come out here. I could’ve came back to the room and fallen asleep to the sound of rain. But I chose to walk out this door and sit on the step…

The rain fell by itself. No harsh winds or thunder to accompany it. Making for the perfect night to sleep. In Kaede’s case, it was perfect for enjoying her solitude. 

It’s calming though… It almost feels like the rain is telling me it’s alright…

I think I’ve lost it… Thinking the rain is talking to me…

After clicking the lighter once it produced a flame. She held it to her cigarette, the tip turning red and orange as it was lit. She took it out of her mouth and blew out the smoke, it lazily faded away into the dark of night. 

It reminds me of something. Like being back in high school sort of… When our class took that trip down to Okinawa. The first night there it rained just like this. Being so excited for just a weekend long trip was an amazing feeling. Back then we all over thought things, wishing to be even younger than we were because things were ‘so complicated’. To us that trip was probably the biggest thing that had happened to any of us at that point in our lives. It was much simpler back then and we couldn’t see that. We were so free… I think anyone my age would go back to high school, even for a day, if they were given the opportunity.

Kaede’s was pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of the door opening behind her.

She quickly spun around in surprise.

Standing in the doorway was a disheveled man wearing gym shorts and a wrinkly white shirt. 

“Matsushita-kun?”

“You’re the last person I was hoping to see when I came out here…”

Kaede turned back around to face the rain. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs. “Just drop that… I’m not in the mood.”

Makoto didn’t respond. Instead he sat down next to her.

“So we don’t hate each other right now?” Makoto spoke up.

“No… not right now…”

“Seeing Arata-san and Katsumi making you remember your time in highschool too?”

“How’d you know?” Kaede turned her head towards Makoto and gave a faint smile.

“I think seeing those two right now would make anyone our age wish they could go back… And most people don’t come outside on a rainy night like this to smoke.”

I knew I was crazy.

“I don’t think you’re crazy for being nostalgic about your childhood.”

“Don’t say it like that… It makes me feel old.”

“You’re not alone in that...”

The two stared ahead at the rain in silence for a brief moment.

“How old are you Matsushita-kun?”

“Twenty-two.”

“Ha—” Kaede laughed out loud. “You’re still young and attractive. And still in university too, right? You don’t know what it’s like being single at my age.”

“...You’re right about that…I feel much older than I am.”

“What’d you mean?”

Makoto gestured for a cigarette from Kaede. She picked up on this right away and took one out of her carton. She handed it to Makoto and he put a cigarette in between his lips. Kaede pulled out the lighter and with a few clicks lit it for him. 

“I feel burnt out already… I have no idea how you do it… I graduated from university two years ago now and have been working in an office for about half a year. Even if I’m only twenty-two I feel and act like I’m in my late forties. Whenever I look back on my high school days it feels like a lifetime ago. Even if they were just four years ago.”

“You graduated university in two years?”

“I really don’t mean to sound full of myself but, yeah. Despite how it seems I was ‘top of my class’ and all the shit.”

“Hah… That’s funny.”

“Yeah… All that honors stuff and only focusing on school when you’re younger really leads to a sad life. When I look back on those days all I really remember is studying.”

“Did you ever have a high school romance Matsushita-kun?”

“I did. But none of them were anything special… With all the studying I did I never really had time for that stuff.”

“I think you should hold those times as special. Relationships when you're twenty, thirty, or even forty are all the same. You always have to deal with adult problems. Those high school romances are so much more exciting because you’re kids. You don’t know anything at that age. So trying to understand each other is just that more interesting.”

“It’s nice to think like that but that’s just it. To think like that.”

Kaede gave Makoto a sideways glance.

“Monday we’ll have to go back to Kashiwa, go to bed early, get up early, and get ready for the same office job we’ve had.”

Kaede smiled. “I think you look at it wrong.”

“Oh?”

“Sure we’ll have to do that, but we’re here and now. Isn’t that something worth being happy about? Being on this trip with your brother, getting to meet new people. You’re having those experiences now that you were too busy to make back in highschool.”

Makoto sat in silence for a minute, looking out into the rain. 

“Katsumi’s not actually my brother, we don’t even have the same family name.”

“...What?”

Murakami and Matsushita. Did you really believe me when I said that.”

Kaede averted her gaze. “No…” 

“You’re obviously lying.”

Am not.

Makoto chuckled a little. “Hirano-san… how old are you, really?”

Kaede leaned sideways and lightly knocked into Makoto, causing him to fall sideways. But before he fell out from under the awning and into the rain he caught himself.

‘You shouldn’t be asking a woman that question.”

Makoto didn’t come back with a rebuttal.

I’m thirty three….

“Really?”

“Yeah—” She said hesitantly, “What about it?”

“When Katsumi told me you were in your early thirties I didn’t believe it when I first saw you. I thought, ‘There’s no way she’s older than me’.”

“I appreciate it, but if you’re hitting on me it’s not working.”

“No no, I’m being serious.”

“Really?”

“Mmh.”

The rain slowly became lighter and lighter. Until eventually the rhythmic sound of rain hitting the city faded away. Leaving behind a world soaked in water. Still some dripped from roofs and gutters, trying to continue on what the rainstorm left behind.

Makoto stood up. Kaede looked up behind her at him.

“Let’s go out for breakfast tomorrow, just the two of us.” Makoto said. “It’ll be my treat.”

Kaede thought in silence for a moment. “Alright. It’s a date then.” She smiled

0