V2 – It Starts With You: Part Five
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The sound of running water brought Katsumi to consciousness. He was wrapped in the blankets of the hotel’s bed. 

Don’t tell me it’s still raining…

He looked towards the window to see bright sunlight coming through the cracks in the curtains. It couldn’t possibly be raining. It was once he sat up in bed and started waking up more that he realized it was Mayumi showering that made the sound of rushing water.

“I don’t know if it’s because of how comfortable these beds are but I would much rather lay here all day than go out…”

Katsumi grumbled to himself for a minute then decided he should get up. The whole point of coming was to go out. 

I’ll check on Makoto and Hirano. They’re probably still sleeping though… Wait, what time is it even?

Katsumi reached around, looking for his cellphone. He then began to feel like an idiot for forgetting he broke it a few weeks ago. He glanced towards the night-stand by Mayumi’s bed and saw her cellphone resting on it.

He hit the power button on her phone, turning it on. The lock screen was a picture of a somewhat familiar street. One that he’d seen recently. It was a very nice looking photo, it was of  a dimly lit street at night with rain falling everywhere.

Wait, that was on Kodono-Dori street, just from last night… Hold on, it’s Nine-thirty!? I thought it was like seven!?

Katsumi set her cellphone back down and went to exit the hotel-room. 

I mean it’s a really nice photo I guess, I’m probably overthinking things… that’s all she thinks of that… It's  a nice photo, that is.

Katsumi  walked up to their other two traveling partners' doors and knocked, “Makoto? Hirano?”

No answer came.

He knocked again but still no answer came.

“Pardon the intrusion—” Katsumi opened the door but found no one inside.

What, did those two get into a fight so bad they decided to go back home…? Really, where’d they go?
Katsumi stepped into their room. He saw their suitcases were still there along with the clothes in their drawers.

I just worry about it later… they’re both able to function on their own… I should go get ready myself for my day with Arata-san.

“Murakami-kun, I don’t think you’ve told me anything about what we’re doing today.”

“You said you don’t know anything about Takachiho, right?”

“Right… and why’s that important?”

“I think if you don’t know anything about what we’re going to do it’ll make it a lot more memorable—because it’ll all be a surprise.” 

“...I suppose. But I’d like to know how I need to dress for what we’re doing though.”

“O-oh… Yeah. That’s a good point.” Katsumi thought for a moment, “Wear something you don’t mind getting wet.”

“Huh?” Mayumi gave a slightly confused look. “Swimming? But we went inland and I didn’t see lakes or anything around here.”

“No no, we’re not swimming, but we’ll be near water… It’s weird to explain… Just, wear something so if you do get wet you won’t be upset.”

Mayumi gave him a wry look; and reluctantly agreed to what she saw as a strange request. She went through her clothes and grabbed a few before returning to the bathroom.

She came out wearing jean short-shorts and a red zip-up sweatshirt, that was zipped up halfway, with a white T-shirt underneath.

“Is this alright?”

“Would you be upset if that sweatshirt got completely soaked?”

“...Yes.” Mayumi unzipped it and took it off, folding it up and setting back in the dresser. “This is one time that your style actually makes sense, Murakami-kun.”

“That’s a bit harsh…”

“Well, were you planning to wear just those shorts and that T-shirt with a random brand on it all day? Even if we weren’t going to this place where we could get wet?”

Katsumi looked down at his T-shirt; it was a circle with some wavy lines inside of it along with the word ‘Takeya’. “What’s wrong with Takeya?”

“What is that brand even for?”

“It’s a water bottle company.”

“Mhm. I see.”

Katsumi grumbled then singled to the door. 

Mayumi took the signal and stepped out, grabbing her handbag along the way. 

It’s really not that bad, she’s over exaggerating so much,

 

The town's main street was relatively quiet. For a town the size of Takachiho it normally doesn’t get busy unless there is an event or something of importance happening. The town never had any reason to expand upwards, so it sprawled out along the Gosake river. But even then, its extent wasn’t very great.

White cumulonimbus clouds rolled over the horizon, reaching upwards into the blue sky. One could almost mistake the sky that day for a painting. 

 Walking side by side, Katsumi and Mayumi wandered down Kodono street. It was unremarkable in most ways. A street you could see in almost any small town in Japan. But it’s where they were. A few cars went up and down the street along with a few other people walking. Stopping at a crosswalk, the crossing guard made eye contact with Katsumi then stepped out into the street with his red-flag. As they crossed the crossing-guard gave a friendly smile which was reciprocated by Mayumi. 

“I’ve always liked smaller towns better.” Mayumi said, to no in particular. 

“Better than what?”

“Than big cities.”

Katsumi thought in silence for a moment; Then spoke up, “Why’s that?”

“Because of that.”

“What’s ‘that’?”

“The crossing guard smiling at us like that. I don’t really think that’s something that would happen back in Kashiwa.”

“I don’t think I know what you mean, I'm pretty sure crossing guards everywhere would smile at people.”

“You’re right, But this just felt more personal. In a good way.”

Katsumi looked at her with confusion on his face.

“Didn’t you get that feeling? In smaller towns like this everybody knows each other. People feel closer to each other.”

“I don’t think everyone can know everyone. That just doesn’t make sense.”

Mayumi smiled. “It’s just an expression Murakami-kun.” She continued, “What I love about these smaller towns is that people want to help each other more, because they feel closer. You know a lot of the people and are even related to a fair amount.” 

Katsumi thought about what she said for a moment then replied, “You’re right, but for me, personally, I enjoy the fast paced life of the city. That’s just me though I guess.”

“Nothing wrong with that.” She said.

 

The sound of rushing water grew louder and louder, soon becoming unignorably attention grabbing. The density of the town had decreased, giving way to more forest. Even though the density decreased, the amount of people in the area increased. Being there for the same reason Katsumi and Mayumi were there: Takachino Gorge.

The land suddenly gives way to water. A cut across the land, where the water forged its path through it hundreds of thousands of years ago. Hard stone faces are encroached on by the dense forest growing on top of it.

A place almost like a scene out of a painting.

“Murakami-kun, where do we go from here?” She looked to where he was supposed to be, “Murakami-kun?” She turned around. “What’re you doing back there?”

Katsumi stood motionless.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t think I’ve been out of the city since I was really young… The forest is mesmerizing…”

She joined him in taking in the forest. 

“I suppose I never paid much attention to it, when I was younger I spent a lot of time around the woods.”

This comment drew Katsumi’s attention onto Mayumi.

“Seriously? You used to be ‘outdoorsy’?” 

The pair continued walking.

“Yes, up until a few years ago. It was always me, my grandpa and my…”

Katsumi waited for her to continue but she didn’t.

“And who?” He asked.

“...And my dad… I used to help them on the farm.”

Why’d she pause so long? Does she have trouble remembering…? I don’t think I’m gonna pry into it.

“Seriously… you, on a farm? I could never imagine that.”

“Yes seriously, why would I be lying to you? And I’d bet I’m much stronger than you too.”

“Alright, you’re lying about that. I don’t believe that at all.”

“I’m not. Don’t you remember the window latch?”

Katsumi stuttered for a moment after hearing this. “Y-yes, but I mean— I probably loosened it for you.”

“Of course.” Mayumi smiled.

1