V2 – It Starts With You: Part Six
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gazing out at the gorge from the head of the main hiking trail, Mayumi asked, “Where do we go now?”

“From here we can either hike the trail and visit a shrine or we can kayak through the gorge. What do you prefer?”

“Hmm… I’ve never gone Kayaking so maybe the hike.”

“You don’t want to try something new? 

“No… It’s just… well—”

“Are you afraid?”

“...”

That was his answer.

“It’s not so bad really. When I was younger my dad used to take me sometimes.”

The mention of that got an unexpected reaction from Mayumi; a distant look, like she was remembering something. However, Katsumi continued on.

“I can teach you how. It’s really fun.”

Mayumi still seemed unsure. 

“Alright, how about we do the hike and you make up your mind while we’re hiking?”

She was apprehensive but agreed to these terms.

“So we just follow this path?” She asked.

Katsumi nodded and the pair started the Takachiho Gorge hike.

 

The world was drenched in water. The wood of the tree’s was a darker color making the green leaves so much more vibrant and alive. The canopy dripped water onto the ground with small pools forming everywhere. 

The forest covered everything. Not simply rising into the sky but sprawling itself across the ground entirely. Almost every rock and inch of dirt had a green covering. It created something odd, but beautiful. A living world around them, one that was completely interconnected in its life.

Whilst he was mesmerized by the forest Mayumi had intertwined her fingers with his, without him noticing. But suddenly brought back to reality by an itch he realized.

She’s just making it so much harder for herself… Do I still have to do this…? He remembered short glimpses of the past few months. Of him hurting her. Yes. There’s a reason I thought of this in the first place.

Katsumi didn’t pull his hand away or make any sort of gesture. 

I feel like this is selfish. Truly acting like nothing is about to happen. Acting like things are getting better… But it feels nice. It feels nice to live in that world for a little bit. I can’t stop. I feel so stupid admitting it myself finally but I know that I’m addicted and I can’t stop. There is no quitting whenever I want. That’s why I can’t have Arata-san be involved with me anymore. Because I don’t think I’ll be able to quit.

 

“Murakami-kun, I don’t know if I want to do this… I mean how stable can a boat that small be?”

Katsumi smiled, “look at everyone out there on the boats,” He made a sweeping gesture with his right hand. “All their boats are stable.”

Still uneasy, she responded, “I know, but, what if ours isn’t.”

Katsumi let out a laugh at this, “You’re just worried for no reason, come on. I mean you know how to swim right? Plus we can have life-jackets.”

Mayumi sighed. Then after a moment of silence nodded her head, “Alright…”

The two paid the rental fee at the admissions booth, with the small boat waiting for them at the dock. All the while on their way to the boat, Mayumi was fiddling with a life-jack trying to get it to fit perfectly.

“You know what you’re doing? Right?”

“Well, it’s not a Kayak, but it’s basically the same thing. We’ll be fine.”

The dock was at the mouth of the gorge. It seemed like the water sliced the land open, creating a way for it to continue moving forward. Steep cliff-faces lined both sides of the waterway creating an effect that would wholy capture the attention of someone who saw it for the first time.

“Arata-san—”

“Huh? Oh, sorry. It’s just so pretty.”

“I’m glad. But you can get an even better view once we get on the water.”

“...Right.”

 

“Are you doing alright?” Katsumi asked.

“Yeah, it’s not as bad as I thought.”

Katsumi gave a faint smile as Mayumi looked on in amazement at the steep cliff-faces covered in vines and moss.

“Thank you for taking me here, it’s been a lot of fun so far.”

I hate that… She’s been showing so much expression around me. Like she’s started to trust me. Why do you have to do that Arata-san? Why don’t you feel the same as me? Why don’t you realize that we can’t keep doing this.

“Murakami-kun, you’re staring,” She giggled.

“O-oh, sorry… I was just thinking… about something.”

“About what?”

Katsumi didn’t expect her to ask that, catching him off gaurd. “Uhm… Well… It’s nothing really. I’ll tell you later I guess.”

“You can’t tell me now?”

“...No…”

Mayumi didn’t seem ready for such a curt answer, “Oh, alright.”

“Sorry, it’s nothing really, I’ll tell you later.”

“It’s alright.” She smiled.

The two spent about the next hour out on the water; talking, and laughing. Finally, as the sun neared the horizon, they returned to the hotel; where Makoto and Kaede were waiting.

 


“Hmm… Where’ve you two been?” Kaede asked with a smile.

“We walked the gorge trail and went out on the boats.” Katsumi responded, leaving no room for Kaede’s misleading questions.

“Boring.”

“Well what did you two do that was so interesting, Hirano-san?”

“We got breakfast and explored the historical sites,” She said in a triumphant tone.

“And that’s a lot more interesting…”

“Alright Katsumi, come on,” Makoto said, “That stuff Is really interesting to old people like her.”

This left Kaede’s mouth wide-open as she gasped.

“It was a joke, it was a joke. I’m sorry,” He laughed.

She crossed her arms, “Wasn’t a funny one…

“Anyways,” Makoto continued, “You two should get ready, we’re going out to get dinner soon.”

They nodded their heads and went off to their room.

Mayumi stepped into the bathroom with a pile of clothing and locked the door behind her. A peaceful silence fell over them getting ready for dinner. But this was cut by an unexpected question from Mayumi, “Do you think there’s something going on between the two?”

Did she ask what I think she did? I mean the door muffles it a little… Huh, I didn’t think she thought about people’s business like that… I mean everyone likes some gossip I guess… “Hm—” Katsumi thought. “Knowing Makoto, I’m guessing he wants something to happen. But also knowing Makoto, I don’t think anything is happening. What’d you think?”

“I think I’ve see now that Matsushita-san is a bit different than the rest of your friends—”

What’s that supposed to mean? 

“---So I wouldn’t mind if something was.”

“Are you some sort of guardian for Hirano-san?” Katsumi asked jokingly while straightening his deep blue blazer.

“No… I just care about my family a lot— Ow!” She finished her sentence with a yelp.

“Are you alright in there?” Katsumi asked.

“Yeah… I just pulled some tangled hair.”

“But it’s nice though, that you care so much about Hirano-san.” He commented. Then, after being silent for a moment he added on, “If you’re worried about Makoto being… Involved in… bad stuff, I guess I could say, he isn’t. He works an office job and has grown up a lot quicker than the rest of me and my friends.” 

“I overheard Hirano Oba-san talking about work with him yesterday. They seem to share a lot in common.”

“Oh yeah? Like what?” Katsumi said with honest curiosity behind the question.

Through her speaking Katsumi could hear her smile, “They both hate their jobs.” 

“Yep, that really can bring adults together.”

“That could be us one day. Complaining about our co-workers and long hours.”

Katsumi was tying a tie and froze mid-loop when she made that comment. Why’d she have to say that… I forgot about my plan for a second… God it sounds so stupid right now… It’s all going so well right now. But it won’t last like this forever, no matter how much I want it to, it just won’t. When we get back no matter how much I try to put a facade up, it will slip.

“Murakami-kun?” Mayumi poked her head out of the bathroom door, “Why’d you go silent?”

“O-oh, ah, I was just… Uh, trying to remember how to tie a tie…”

She gave him a look, a type of look that a mother would give her son when he messes up his recently straightened hair. A look of care.

She disappeared into the bathroom again and came out with black dress pants and that same red zip-up sweatshirt on. She began to close the distance between them. 

Katsumi felt imobile, as if he couldn’t move or act. 

What’s this feeling? Why can’t I say anything…?

“Here,” She said.

Mayumi grabbed the tie out of Katsumi’s hands and began looping and pulling it. After a few seconds she let it go and patted it on Katsumi’s chest.

“There you go,” She looked up at Katsumi.”

“Ah— Y-yeah… Thank you…” His face was shifting to a faint shade of red. He took a step back.

“Is something wrong?” Mayumi asked.

“N-no, I’m fine… You should finish getting ready, I’m guessing Makoto and Hirano-san have been waiting on us.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” She replied, walking back to the bathroom.

What the hell was that!? Why did I act like that? And she just didn’t notice? She probably didn’t think of that in any way close to how I did. She probably was disappointed that an eighteen year old can’t remember how to tie his own tie…  I gotta smoke… There shouldn’t be any reason I’m freaking out like this.

“I’m going to go wait with Hirano-san and Makoto. Just come whenever you’re ready,” Katsumi said into the door.

“Alright,” Mayumi said back.

Katsumi made his way through the hallways and out the main entrance, where neither of them were. 

The thought came to him nearly instantly: Oh, I think I know.

He followed a small path that wrapped around the side of the hotel. Once he rounded the corner of the building is when he saw them. A man and a woman sitting under a stoop light smoking.

Just as I thought. He smiled.

As he approached the two looked up at him, like deer in headlights.

“Oh, Katsumi. What’s up?”

“Why’d you two look so frightened?”

“We… we thought you were Mayumi-chan.” Kaede responded.

“Hm, I see.”

“Why’re you out here?” Makoto asked.

“Same reason you two are,” Katsumi reached out two fingers.

Without hesitation Makoto brought out his carton of cigarettes and put one in between Katsumi’s two out-reached fingers.

Katsumi stepped forward and sat on the stoop next to Makoto and lit his cigarette. After a long drag he exhaled and followed it up with a deep sigh,

“Being around Mayumi-chan is great,” Kaede said, “But her anti-smoking policies are so harsh.”

“Yeah… I know what you mean. This is the first chance I’ve gotten this weekend to actually smoke in peace.” 

Makoto took his gaze from Katsumi to Kaede, “Is she really that bad about it?” 

“It’s not bad that she’s that way about smoking, but it’s a bit annoying, yes.”

A silence fell over the three. The horizon in front of them was fading into a golden a light, giving the world around them a brilliant glow. However, their peace wasn’t meant to last… The door behind them cracked open and they all froze.

They all slowly turned their heads simultaneously to be met with their fear. Mayumi. She was standing over them in the doorway holding out a little portable ash-tray.

Mayumi didn’t say a word, just silently glaring at them.

Kaede was the first to fold. She took the cigarette out of her mouth and smothered it in the ash-tray. This was shortly followed by Katsumi.

“What?” I don’t even have any relations with Arata-san!? Why do I have to!?”

Mayumi leaned forward and plucked the cigarette out of his mouth and put it out herself. She snapped the portable ash-tray closed.

A look of sadness washed over Makoto, as if he just lost something very dear to him.

“Alright, well, I think it’s time we get going,” Kaede spoke up.

“Right,” Katsumi answered back.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about?" Mayumi asked.

1