V2 – Saki’s Determination: Part Thee.Five
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Katsumi kept his head in between his knees, “So you’re just here to look at me like some zoo animal then leave?”

Brad stared down at him, “No… I’m here because I want you to try. Arata-san is a beautiful and smart person, she knows what’s going on and she cares… She wants you to care.”

Why would he mention beautiful? I don’t think that’s the point… “But why? Why all this effort for me? I haven’t done anything to make it so people should care about me.”

Brad sat down next to him on the curb, “People will get involved with each other. When you least expect it someone will find you and can set your life down a different path. That’s the beauty of people. But it’s funny…”

“What?”

“You have such a strong ability to anchor yourself to your own path that it makes people angry.”

“...You’re right…”

Brad smiled, “Are you free tomorrow morning?”

“Why?”

“Let’s get breakfast, I want to talk more.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to get up then…”

“See that diner a few stores down? I’ll be there at nine AM.”

Katsumi lazily turned his head towards where Brad was pointing, “I won’t be up in time…”

Brad sighed and stood up, “Just try,” He extended a hand to Katsumi.

He grabbed Brad's hand and allowed himself to be pulled to his feet. Without a word the two began the walk home. To Katsumi it felt like forever, stuck in the silent company of Brad, someone he rather not be in the company of. 

Katsumi was nodding off at his kitchen-island. He fumbled with a small bag and poured out some of the contents. 

A small stream of blood ran from his nose. He felt awake for the first time in a while, after lifelessly wandering through the last day. 

He slammed his hand on the table, then repeatedly slapped it. 

After staring at the wall for what felt like an eternity he checked the time on his phone. It was eight-forty five. 

Akito-san won’t like the Brad I know. She wants me to learn more about him but everything I’ve ‘learned’ about him has been what she hates about me. He just hides it. 

Katsumi wiped the blood away.

What am I doing.

 

When Katsumi opened the door to the diner it caused some bells to ring. Soon after a young woman popped her head up from behind a counter close to the front-door.

“Hi, welcome to— Oh, Murakami-kun.”

“Huh…? How do you know me?” His tone became a bit frantic.

“We— We’re in the same class… I sit right in front of you…”

Katsumi gave a blank stare.

“You really don’t know me?” She continued.

He answered this by slowly shaking his head no.

She sighed, “For one then?”

“Actually I’m here to meet someone, I think they’re here already.”

“Jackson-kun?”

“Y-yes… How’d you know?”

“He told me he was meeting someone from our class when I seated him… I just wasn’t expecting it to be… you…”

Nice way to sneak in an insult… But seriously who is she? I’ve never seen her before.

She spoke again, “Jackson-kun’s in the back right next to the window,” She gestured with her head.

“T-thanks…”

“Morning Katsumi,” Brad said as he set down a cup of coffee, “You’re looking lively now.”

The lively man in question sat down in the booth-seat opposite Brad, “I had an energy drink.”

Brad leaned over the table a little to get a closer look at his face. Katsumi’s eyes were blood-shot and wide-open.

“Must’ve been a strong energy drink.”

“...”

Brad turned his attention to the girl that greeted Katsumi at the door, “Hey, did you know Mueriko-san worked here?”

Katsumi shook his head, “If I’m being honest, I didn’t know she existed until just now…”

“Really?” Brad looked genuinely surprised, “She sits right in front of you…”

“I know now…”

“I think she’s even turned and talked to you before.”

“Well… I probably wasn’t… the most sober… then…”

A large smile grew on Brad’s face.

“What’s the reason for me being here so early?”

“I wanted to have breakfast with you.”

“Why not just invite Akito-san or someone?”

Brad took a sip from his coffee, “She wouldn’t be the most interesting person to talk to right now.”

A look of confusion washed over Katsumi’s face so Brad continued, “I mean, my twenty year old sister is hanging-out with you. Am I not supposed to be curious?”

“I wouldn’t be any of my business. So I wouldn't let it bother me.”

“I think that’s what’s so interesting about you. You have been given so many opportunities to be with people but you chose to be alone. And you don’t really strike me as an introvert either… Your excuse is always that it just isn't your concern.

“What if I am one and you’re just bad at reading people?”

“...What if you’ve made the choice to push people away so often that you’re afraid now to try and get close?”

Katsumi narrowed his eyes, “I’m far past that point… I tried and realized that it’s never worth it to get close. It’s much better being alone.”

The conversation he had with the random girl in class popped into his mind.

 

“It feels like I’m missing something…”

 

“You’re surrounded by people most would consider friends, and you feel alone?”

“...None of them know the first thing about me.”

“And who’s fault is that?”

Katsumi didn’t answer and Brad shook his head.

 

1