Implementation and long-term plans
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first orders ran out of the Ministry of Health early the next day, hospital cleanliness is to hold the same standards as that of the homes of old Winstam. Doctors, surgeons, and all other medical professionals are to wash their hands before and after each patient meeting, operation, meal, or any other activity that might dirty the hands. All tools are to be sanitized by steam, a rather clever idea originating via a foreign doctor whoch makes use of a newer invention coming from that country. Protective clothing such as a surgical apron must also be thoroughly cleaned. Finally, old Winstam sanitary organizations are to mentor the sanitation workers in all hospitals until they are deemed ready to work alone again, this mentorship is mandatory and will be paid regularly.

Truthfully, Vanderbilt was quite pleased with this opening move. It makes the Ministry of Health look downright heroic by fighting the terror of the hospital and sates old Winstam's pride. He wasn't sure how to feel about the Polio situation, if things get worse he would have no way to prevent it other than epidemic measures, God forbid if another disease makes its way to old Winstam, but if things stay the way they are he will have gained a powerful supporter in his quest city-wide cleanliness for practically nothing. But there was an immediate hurdle he needed to overcome, the sewers. A sewer system will annihalate known water-borne diseases like Cholera by properly isolating the sewage from the drinking supply, but the costs for such an endevor would be simply astronomical. Never mind the cost for the sewer itself, simply pulling out all the roads and digging under every house in all corners of the city will run sky high costs both in social costs and actual construction costs. But it was worth it, future generations will thank the builders for it, not to mention that it will ultimately save more money in the long-run than it would ever cost right now. But Vanderbilt needed two things before he could even think of proposing such a matter, credibility and data. The Minister of Health simply doesn't have enough achievments under his belt as a public figure, personal exploits as a doctor are simply not enough for a task of this scale, it would help to get a prominent economist on-side as well, he also lacks hard data that proves beyond doubt that disease can travel by water, he may have experience fighting water-borne plagues but that alone can't convince anyone. Once he can acquire those, even if the government still balks at the costs charities and sponsors will certainly pitch in and lessen the hesitance of the mayor. If this works, he might even become more famous, which will only increase his power over the New Winstam government.

"Secretary," Vanderbilt called, "I wish to organise a taskforce, give me a list of doctors most experienced with Cholera." Once his secretary gave him such a list he looked it over and ordered, "I want you to send a letter to each of these people detailing how I wish to conduct an official investigation on Cholera, they will be provided with the documentation for various Cholera outbreaks around the globe. Their goal is to determine how Cholera spreads, for this capacity I grant them permission to interview any of the parties involved including citizenry, businesses, government, etc. I eant them to know the serioisness of this task and will accept no mistake."

"Understood Minister." The secretary replied.

"Oh, and wish them happy hunting for me will you."

With that out of the way, Vanderbilt personally wrote some letters to his friends in business, asking for an introduction to an open-minded economist. Hopefully he could convince them of the long-term profits from a sewer system and get them on side, but even if he can't it's not a massive loss, some businessmen will almost certainly agree with his reasoning, old Winstam has a sewer after all, and they will provide the backing for his claims.

All of these actions were completed in less than an hour, less time than it took to wash and dry laundry and certainly less time than it took to see the results of his actions. And he will need to see those results before he can start other projects, it won't do to have too many variables after all. So all he could do now was wait, and see the consequences.

1