Mere Incompetence, Hah!
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Welcome everyone," a masculine voice rang out in a rather cramped and shadowy meeting place. In this extravangantly-decorated meeting room there is a collection of some rather posh looking individuals sitting quite properly, enjoying a spot of tea and cigars while they talk. "as I am sure we are all very busy people, I will keep this brief. A Doctor Bertold Vanderbilt, yes that Dr. Vanderbilt, has recently been appointed Minister of Health. Normally this would not be an issue as we can easily give a bit of leeway to Ministers fresh to their post, but not only had Dr. Vanderbilt desecrated our veterancy as doctors and placed himself in a superior position to us, he also privately supports construction of a sewer. A sewer which, in case any of you are not aware, will run Cholera epidemics into the ground and thus deprive us of government subsidy."

This opening speech caused quite a stir in the gathering. With some quiet conversations being made, "Pardon me, I have been forced by duty to be out of town for the past few months. What is this about the Minister desecrating our veterancy?"

"You didn't hear?" His whispering partner replied, "That old boy forced changes to privately run hospitals without our permission and forced our symbol of veterancy, blood-stained garments, to be cleaned and sterilized."

The recently returned fellow's eyebrow rose in surprise, "Truly, I would not have expected such a showong from a veteran of our industry, especially one as renowned as he is."

The other party tsked in disdain at his conversation partner's total lack of knowledge, "Dr. Vanderbilt may be a war veteran and a renowned disease-fighter, but he was never a public figure before. It is obvious that he would lack the tact seen in most politicians. In fact I am surprised he didn't just try to organise work crews to clean the streets foolish as that notion is."

"You are getting too full of yourself my good man," The other man said in reproach, "the Minister is a renowned docotr after all."

"Yes, I suppose that's true."

---------

Once casual conversation has died down the original voice, the one that brought Dr. Vanderbilt up to the assembly in the first place, politely cleared his throat and started to speak once everyone truly finished talking. "Now that everyone has been brought up to speed, I propose we use our connections to give the Minister a good warning, if not oust him from the position entirely. While I am aware that he has supporters within the city, particularly some of the elites of old Winstam, those who have been hit particularly hard by Polio, he has not laid a foundation of favors and deals to support that power. In truth, once we destabilise him, his power will collapse lick a house of cards."

Another gentleman stood up, gesturing that he wishes to speak, "My friends, I am afraid this task is more difficult than the previous speaker," he gestures toward the other man, "has made it sound. Dr. Vanderbilt has a long career behind him, the support of Polio victims, and has made a real and visible change within the city. Such things do not change even if the elites accuse him of something trivial. Therefore I propose that we utterly ruin his reputation, bring out proof that he stole his achievments, accuse him of lusting over a child, support theory of him being a serial killer, that sort of thing. In my opinion, that is the only way we could ever get him out of office."

"A killing blow, is that not too harsh? he is our peer you know."

"Even more reason we need to get rid of him now, the longer he keeps producing results, the less prestige we will have. Soon enough we eill turn into those foolish men eho could not even do half of what one Minister has managed. I assure you we do not have the time to waste on half-measures."

"Even so, could we not come to an agreement with the man? Surely he would prefer to not spend his term constantly fighting us and the mayor."

The speaker shakes his head, "You do not understand our good Minister, he is obsessed with these 'hunts' of his and will accept nothing but a 'perfect' ending. This means a city that is a bastion against disease."

"Which means no subsidies..."

"Exactly, I am afraid our hands are tied gentlemen, we must go for the harshest possible moves. A killing blow that will end this conflict before it can ever truly begin. Well gentlement, what do you think of my proposal?"

-------------

"Dr. Vanderbilt," Nurse Eleanor asked while flipping through a young doctor's record, "Why are you so unconcerned with the directors of the city's medical institutions?"

Vanderbilt smiled, reminiscent of his past, "It has been my experience that opposition crumbles before a good, metaphorical, bulldozer."

1