Shuffling
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days after Vanderbilt began preparing for his purge.


"Alright, you are dismissed." Vanderbilt informed the staff members

"Yes sir." They replied before filing out of his waiting room one by one.

"...Well," he began with a face filled with hesitation, "they all seem to have a grasp over their roles as physicians, if only barely. They need nore field experience, especially under a veteran doctor. I would send them out of the city if we weren't so desperate for men of medicine, but as it stands they are of little use."

"Perhaps you could use them not as doctors but as lackeys of the Minister of Health." Clein suggested, "I certainly know that many cleaners would take their jobs more seriously if they were given proper advisement on what the consequences would be."

Vanderbilt made some gestures  clearly deep in thought, "That is a good idea, I will need to think on this more. Here are my orders: Jacob will negotiate with factory and small business owners in order to convince them to meet with me early tomorrow, you will also send a missive to the mayor requesting some bureaucrats to replace some of the doctors we are sending away. Eleanor and Clein will give a joint lecture on sanitation and germ theory to the doctors we just dismissed, I do bot need them to believe it, they just need to know what it is. If this works we will have found a use for all these untempered hands."

"Yes sir." They replied before leaving the room.

"Oh...and call for some administrators and workers, preferably union workers, I need to talk to them."

‐---------------------

I, for one, was feeling stressed out, like I was some monkey dancing to the old man's tune. I'm not sure my peers Eleanor and Clein were feeling the same, they certainly don't have the extensive experience I do with being pushed around. Ah well, what can ya do, these negotiations are going to be interesting I s'pose.

During these very intense and unchained thoughts of mine I waltzed through Georgie's avenue, and started to make my way through lots of places, all of them either too horrible to think about or too boring to want to think about. Brothels, storefronts, some factory or another, the occasional mine, the works. I'll leave it to the imagination which ones were boring and which were horrible, but I s'pect anyone who's spent time in New Winstam would know. The only fun parts of this trip was one instance where I brawled with a thug in some alley and when I "negotiated" with the guard of some shady place. I kinda figured that V would want to speak to a little bit of everyone if he's thinkin' what I think he's thinkin'.

-----------------

Once Jacob managed to secure everyone who might be relevant, Vanderbilt entered a discussion with them that lasted nearly a full three hours despite almost all of them being extremely busy people. Highlights of the meeting include Vanderbilt making open threats over what he would consider a "health hazard" if all parties failed to comply, very convincing, which also happened to be true, explanations for why they need to regulate their industries as well as statistics over the success of the regulated hospitals and how that might translate to them, and finally some calm discussion over what is possible to fix in their industries without overly sacrificing other parts. Needless to say, very little of what they promised would actually be enforced, but now that Vanderbilt has their verbal promise, and a transcript of the meeting for the lawyers, he can begin his "shuffling" plan.

"Alright, I will hereby establish an inspectorate force for the Ministry of Health," Vanderbilt spoke to the gathered crowd composed of the "purged" staff, "it has become clear that the current means are not large enough to effectively cover all of New Winstam. Therefore I will entrust all of you with scrutinizing every establishment that has agreed to certain restrictions to ensure that they are following proper precautions. I do not wish for you to worry, so I wish for you to know that you will recieve the full backing of the Ministy of Health in the case that you are in someway targeted for going your job. I will so not tolerate working putside your duties, you will be fired and all protections made null and void in those cases. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir!" 

"Excellent, I expect great things from all of you. You will be given your assignments when you leave, dismissed." Once he made that declaration he made no moves to leave the stage, instead gesturing to the nearby journalists in order to give an audience.

The press release went decently, Vanderbilt made no preparations to influence it in any way but his renown kept the quesrions to the point and fairly easy to answer. But there were several questions like "What's it like to kill a man?" Or Vanderbilt's personal favorite, "How old are you exactly?" He tried to stay on topic as much as possible, but it seems the more gossipy newspapers will have a field day in the coming days.

But that is fiercely unimportant, for the inspectorate was just being introduced to their tasks.

1